Sea-Bands

ladybug1s

Ae they are preventive, and do they work? Anyone use these bands?

Looking for my children as well. Not sure if we will get sick, but our cabin is in front up on top decks as well.

My husband and I have never had to use them, but carry them just in case.

Our daughter used them on a choppy day on our first cruise when she was 9. As soon as we put them on, she looked brighter and felt better. I do not know if they 'work' or if it is a psycho somatic thing.

Which ever it is, they take up hardly any room & don't wear out so we pack three pairs each time....:)

I'm willing to try just about anything once. Will someone please tell me where I cn buy a seaband and how much they cost? Thanks!

I have seen them for sale in drug stores.

However they don't work for me, and neither does ginger, apples or crackers. The last thing I can do when I am nauseated is eat something.

For me the thing that works is Bonine. I get the non-drowsy type avaliable in any drug store.

My experience with children is that they dont get sea sick. My 14 yr old has been cruising since he was 5. He has never gotten sea sick.

I am very prone to motion sickness. I really like taking ginger root extract. I will try to add a picture.

Sorry no experience with sea bands...

thumbnail.aspx?q=1534640922149&id=3cc03a4d6ccb15f4cd63a4ca21687ef0&url=http%3a%2f%2fvitanetonline.com%2fimages%2fproducts%2f11241.jpg

My experience with children is that they dont get sea sick.

My youngest got sick last summer while in South Carolina while we "parasailed". Maybe it was the small boat hitting the waves? And it was extremely HOT! We did however see some beautiful dolphins right by our boat, of course i was terrified I'd see a shark!

I have it all sea bands, Bonine, & ginger capsules for my upcoming cruise next month. I used the sea band on a Mexican dinner cruise and boy I must say they saved my dinner from coming up. They do work if you have them on the acupressure spot, I still felt nauseous but I know they helped a lot.

In other words, they work because the subject believes them to work ...
I am a believer in this. When I was younger we went on a couple of cruises and I was afraid I would get seasick, so I took dramamine. That worked fine for seasickness, but I was a little drowsy on the cruise, and really didn't enjoy it that much.

On a more recent cruise on Freedom of the seas, I told myself I was not going to get seasick. There were tons of people on the ship who do not do anything and they do not get seasick, so I was going to be one of them. It worked and I felt fine the whole cruise. I am now convinced that I just will not get seasick, and I have been fine on several other cruises, including one on a pretty pitchy Atlantic Ocean coming back from Bermuda (many people got sick).

• 1 year later...
My experience with children is that they dont get sea sick.

My youngest got sick last summer while in South Carolina while we "parasailed". Maybe it was the small boat hitting the waves? And it was extremely HOT! We did however see some beautiful dolphins right by our boat, of course i was terrified I'd see a shark!

My daughter has had violent motion sickness since she was a toddler. She would tell us her head hurt, then she would vomit.

I don't know where you got the idea children don't get seasick.

Children absolutely get seasick. I'm reminded of my little boy who was sick on our HAL cruise some years ago - so bad that we actually had to run from the dining room before our dinner came. Yuk. Poor lil guy, he was only 5 at the time.

I see this thread was bumped, so I will add my opinion about the Sea Bands - yes, they do work. They are a great non-medicinal way to help with nausea, so much so that I used them in my pregnancies, and now in my chemotherapy. Good, cheap, effective. :)

My experience with children is that they dont get sea sick. My 14 yr old has been cruising since he was 5. He has never gotten sea sick.

thumbnail.aspx?q=1534640922149&id=3cc03a4d6ccb15f4cd63a4ca21687ef0&url=http%3a%2f%2fvitanetonline.com%2fimages%2fproducts%2f11241.jpg

Children certainly can get seasick. I speak from long experience (me). Your 14 year old is clearly one of those fortunate individuals who does not have that problem.

Teddie

I am a believer in this. When I was younger we went on a couple of cruises and I was afraid I would get seasick, so I took dramamine. That worked fine for seasickness, but I was a little drowsy on the cruise, and really didn't enjoy it that much.

On a more recent cruise on Freedom of the seas, I told myself I was not going to get seasick. There were tons of people on the ship who do not do anything and they do not get seasick, so I was going to be one of them. It worked and I felt fine the whole cruise. I am now convinced that I just will not get seasick, and I have been fine on several other cruises, including one on a pretty pitchy Atlantic Ocean coming back from Bermuda (many people got sick).

You do not have a seasickness issue. Lucky you. Motion sickness-sufferers cannot "talk" the middle ear out of anything, in case you were not aware.

I have the old electronic "Relief Band" which is no longer available by that name and without a prescription, as the FDA has deemed it a medical advice. The thing really works, especially in conjunction with the patch, at least for me--air, sea, and occasionally still, auto. Same concept as the sea bands, but delivers an electronic pulsation to the point at the wrist.

Teddie

I'm prone to motion sickness, and they did not work for me. OTOH, I thought, this is just a gimmick. If you believe they will work, you'll likely have better results. For me, I'll go with better living through chemistry.

Cigar, forget the belief thing :) I go the chemical route, too, with excellent results.

I am a little militant on this topic, as evidenced by my last posts...because cruising is a joy, but sea sickness isn't :)

Teddie

Cigar, forget the belief thing :) I go the chemical route, too, with excellent results.

I am a little militant on this topic, as evidenced by my last posts...because cruising is a joy, but sea sickness isn't :)

I agree with you completely. Fortunately, I think the ships are large enough, and the stabilizers work well enough that the problem, at least for me, is reduced to a manageable state. None the less, I intend to continue to drug myself up...why take a chance on messing up a vacation?

The seabands work for me; whether or not "it's all in my head," they work for me. You do have to make sure the band is positioned correctly on your wrist so that the bead is on the pressure point. It is a preventative measure.

Yes, if it's not positioned just right it doesn't work as well. I wore mine on my last cruise and they helped a lot (the water was very rough). I've also used them on land when having nausea issues and they worked then too. I plan to bring them and bonine and ginger with me on my next cruise. Just in case.

Archived