Sea-Bands

ladybug1s

Ae they are preventive, and do they work? Anyone use these bands?

Looking for my children as well. Not sure if we will get sick, but our cabin is in front up on top decks as well.

My experience with children is that they dont get sea sick. My 14 yr old has been cruising since he was 5. He has never gotten sea sick.

I am very prone to motion sickness. I really like taking ginger root extract. I will try to add a picture.

Sorry no experience with sea bands...

thumbnail.aspx?q=1534640922149&id=3cc03a4d6ccb15f4cd63a4ca21687ef0&url=http%3a%2f%2fvitanetonline.com%2fimages%2fproducts%2f11241.jpg

I used them on my first cruise, and on the last night it was pretty rocky. Despite my wearing the sea-bands, I woke up very nauseated. Luckily I had also brought ginger capsules, so I popped one of those and felt fine within 10 minutes. I know the sea-bands do work for a lot of people, but they didn't work for me. :( It might be a good idea to have a backup plan, like I did.

Oh my gosh I LOVE SeaBands! I wear them when I cruise, when I fly, when I ride roller coasters. They are simply the best thing. I will admit, though, that when the water is REALLY choppy or when I'm at the front of the ship I still have a problem, but it is more that my head feels nauseated more than my tummy. Only thing to remedy that is to go back to the cabin and take a nap. But otherwise I swear by them and think they're fantastic. Take a couple of different remedies and see which works best for you and your family. As other previous posters have mentioned, some things work for them while others don't.

Happy Travels!

I got seasick one time. A friend offered me her seabands Put them on and they worked fine for the rest of the cruise. I now use them on every cruise and have never had a seasick issue since. I have a plan B just in case. Ginger capsules and Bonine are my back up.

Judi :)

Looking for my children as well. Not sure if we will get sick, but our cabin is in front up on top decks as well.

I cannot take any meds so rely on peppermint tea and sea bands. I put them on when I leave home and actually wear them on the plane now as well. There are times on the ship that I will take them off, but if the feeling starts I put them back on. You can get funky looking ones that may appeal to the kids now at CAA/AAA.

I wear the bands until I have been home for about a week to 2 weeks, depending on the length of the cruise. I don't have any issues now with feeling the motion of the ocean when I am on land. First cruise I took them off when I got home and felt wobbly for a couple of weeks. No motion anymore if I wear them for a while when I return home. You need to keep checking periodically to make sure that they are in the right spot on your tendon on each wrist, about 2 fingers distance from the bend in your wrist.

I never would have believed it but one of the best things for sea sickness and actually for hangovers as well (not that I would know:rolleyes:) is granny smith apples. Eat one slowly. They are always available on the ship and if you ask them in the dining room they will produce 1 or 2 promptly and have it cut up for you as well. Ginger caps work for some, and you can get Ginger gravol that is non-drowsy, my daughter has used it for years (she had motion sickness from the time she was a baby!!!), she still gets motion sick in cars and she is 26 now.

Better to be prepared. Regular Sea bands are pretty cheap if you are a member of CAA/AAA. I just bought a backup set. They are ugly and look really dumb with a gown, but they really do work for me.

Hope this helps

Dee

My 7 year old son had never gotten sick on any previous cruises but last Thanksgiving on the Enchantment he got sick the morning of the second sea day. I had brought along sea bands just in case, and put them on him. He wore them during the sea days but took them off when in port and at night. He wasnt sick the rest of the cruise...but it could have been pyscological and due to other factors as well. I made sure from then on he had a really good breakfast with muffins/biscuits or some type of bread.

Another trick I used with him was a ziploc bag full of cheerios. Every mornng I would get several little boxes of cheerios from the windjammer and dump them into a ziploc bag. He would carry the bag around with him all day munching on them. I think keeping something on his stomach all the time worked better than the bands but I didnt tell him that. I was just glad he wasnt sick any more.

-Julie

If you believe in accupuncture and accupressure, they work. If you believe they work, they work, but the effect is more likely psychosomatic than prophylactic.;)

I would disagree. It is like any med or remedy, it will work for some and not for others, that is why there are sooooo many drugs and remedies available out there. There are no side effects other than a round mark on your wrist and the fact that they are noticeable. Accupuncture definitely does work for many people, and this is simply a take on accupuncture. My DIL found that they worked but her hands got swollen so she went to the clinic on the ship and received what I believe was bonine, it is typically free by the way for anyone who needs it.

Saltines or soda crackers also work well:)

Definitely agree, I had saltines in the room as well that I would munch on occaisonally....but I found with my son he liked the cheerios better. They have a touch of flavor but not sweet enough to be too bad for him. I think for my next cruise I'm going to bring along some plain goldfish crackers for him.

-Julie

I would disagree. It is like any med or remedy, it will work for some and not for others, that is why there are sooooo many drugs and remedies available out there. There are no side effects other than a round mark on your wrist and the fact that they are noticeable. Accupuncture definitely does work for many people, and this is simply a take on accupuncture. My DIL found that they worked but her hands got swollen so she went to the clinic on the ship and received what I believe was bonine, it is typically free by the way for anyone who needs it.

Not sure where we're disagreeing. If you believe in holistic medicine, holistic medicine will benefit you more than it would someone who doesn't believe in holistic medicine. Belief systems are powerful psychosomatic influencers.

Definitely agree, I had saltines in the room as well that I would munch on occaisonally....but I found with my son he liked the cheerios better. They have a touch of flavor but not sweet enough to be too bad for him. I think for my next cruise I'm going to bring along some plain goldfish crackers for him.

-Julie

Those work as well. Nice thing about crackers, is they're always available somewhere in the buffet. Sometimes, we have difficulty finding cheerios.

I was starting to feel a little queasy on a past cruise and one of our dinner mates let me borrow her bands - they worked so well she gave them to me.

That was several years ago and about to embark on a new voyage and was searching to purchase some and found different types on Ebay including a more stylish bracelet version called Queasy Beads. these are more of a beaded fashion bracelet than the "sweatband" style ones I used in the past. Does anybody have any experience with the Queasy Beads style?

Yes they certainly do! And there is no drowsiness or dry mouth either!

Swear by them now and will not travel without them.

MARAPRINCE

Those work as well. Nice thing about crackers, is they're always available somewhere in the buffet. Sometimes, we have difficulty finding cheerios.

:o Sorry...probably my fault, I usually take 2 or 3 little boxes each day for my son. :D I can usually only find them in the morning at the Windjammer. Occasionally if I don't see any I have asked one of the folks working there and they have located some for me.

-Julie

They work - well, at least as well as a placebo in testing by the Institute of Naval Medicine. In other words, they work because the subject believes them to work but only in mild sea conditions. In heavy seas they are a poor performer when tested against the common drug remedies.

The answer is that there is no verifiable, properly conducted, clinical testing that shows that sea-bands work.

For the sake of $10 sea bands are definitely worth the investment:):) They restore your equilibrium. I've used them a couple of time and they made all the difference in the world. dh doesn't like them so he resorts to ginger and green apples (it took me many cruises to convince him to do this). For me, sea bands are even better. Don't need them often but they are ALWAYS packed:D

On research cruises and dive trips, we would always suggest the sea sick individuals jump in the water and float on their backs. Of course you can't do that on a cruise, but shouldn't getting in the pool work?

It's an instant effect that would give other treatments time to work....

Archived