? Ginger Tablets for Motion Sickness.....

bridedoll1026

They have worked for me for riding in the car --- even Road to Hana in Hawaii!! :o

I have never used them for cruising. Haven't needed them. But my stomach seems to be changing so I will be sure to pack them on our next cruise.

For riding in the car just one capsule has worked.

I took one capsule every day while cruising but I had to take a meclizine pill for the first day at sea. I also wore the wrist bands off and on. I am really bad, but I think the ginger pills helped. I can't wear the patch because it makes me dizzy.

Hi!

Has anyone tried ginger tablets for motion sickness? How often are they taken & do they work?

I've tried them too, I was a bit sceptical at first but they do actually work. Then eventually you seem to get used to the motion. The great thing about ginger tablets is that they don't make you sleepy like some of the medications do.

I've never tried them for cruising, but ginger helped me greatly during the "morning" - which really means all day and night - sickness for all three of my pregnancies! A company made ginger lollipops which were my very best friends during that time frame.

Haven't tried ginger while cruising but it has helped me when i am at the theme park and during flights. Generally i take a dose before the flight/rides (say 1 hour before) then during the flight/ride you can continue taking maintenance doses. I think dosage differs with the brands thus take the recommended doses. I have also tried ginger tea and that seems to help keep the stomach contents in the stomach as well.

It does not fully eliminate the motion sickness, but what it does is it help increase your tolerance. Thus you feel less sick or giddy rather that a full blown vomit fest.

What dose and brand does everyone take? I just went on Amazon and there are so many kinds, it's very confusing. Gum, Candy, Capsules, Tea???

I can't be of much help as to particular brands because I am in Australia and what is available here may not be sold where you are. However, we took the ginger was in tablet form and that seemed to work.

What dose and brand does everyone take? I just went on Amazon and there are so many kinds, it's very confusing. Gum, Candy, Capsules, Tea???

I just got the cheapest bottle of capsules at Walmart.

I also found Gin-Gins candy at TJMaxx/Marshall's for my son since I didn't think he would want to swallow the capsules. Just make sure whatever you get is real ginger and not just artificially flavored. It doesn't have to be anything expensive.

On our first cruise, a table mate gave me something called Ginger Force during dinner one night. It cured my queasiness and I've taken a tablet or two during dinner every night on every cruise ever since. Never felt queasy once, even on a particularly choppy last night on our last 7-day cruise.

Ginger Force is not cheap, but I swear by it. It's worth the investment for me.

Please be careful when using Ginger since it does have some possible drug interactions when on Diabetes, and High blood pressure medications. My DW is on Diovan and I happen to make her a shake with some fresh ginger (about a teaspoon) in it and her blood pressure dropped. If you are on one of these med's maybe try it out at home first under controlled condtions just to be safe.

Medications for diabetes (Anti-diabetes drugs)

Interaction Rating: Minor Be cautious with this combination.

Talk with your health provider.

Ginger might decrease blood sugar. Diabetes medications are also used to lower blood sugar. Taking ginger along with diabetes medications might cause your blood sugar to go too low. Monitor your blood sugar closely. The dose of your diabetes medication might need to be changed.

Some medications used for diabetes include glimepiride (Amaryl), glyburide (DiaBeta, Glynase PresTab, Micronase), insulin, metformin (Glucophage), pioglitazone (Actos), rosiglitazone (Avandia), and others.

Medications for high blood pressure (Calcium channel blockers)

Ginger might reduce blood pressure in a way that is similar to some medications for blood pressure and heart disease. Taking ginger along with these medications might cause your blood pressure to drop too low or cause an irregular heartbeat.

Some medications for high blood pressure and heart disease include nifedipine (Adalat, Procardia), verapamil (Calan, Isoptin, Verelan), diltiazem (Cardizem), isradipine (DynaCirc), felodipine (Plendil), amlodipine (Norvasc), and others.

On our first cruise, a table mate gave me something called Ginger Force during dinner one night. It cured my queasiness and I've taken a tablet or two during dinner every night on every cruise ever since. Never felt queasy once, even on a particularly choppy last night on our last 7-day cruise.

Ginger Force is not cheap, but I swear by it. It's worth the investment for me.

Where can you buy Ginger Force? And how much is it?

Although I live in Australia I have friends going to the US in July....

Hi!

Has anyone tried ginger tablets for motion sickness? How often are they taken & do they work?

They have worked great for my wife and I. I take one per day and start taking it the day before the cruise. We bought a bottle of Ginger root from GNC

Altoids makes them,strong with ginger,very good, buy them in any drug store or grocery.:cool:

Please be careful when using Ginger since it does have some possible drug interactions when on Diabetes, and High blood pressure medications. My DW is on Diovan and I happen to make her a shake with some fresh ginger (about a teaspoon) in it and her blood pressure dropped. If you are on one of these med's maybe try it out at home first under controlled condtions just to be safe.

Medications for diabetes (Anti-diabetes drugs)

Ginger might decrease blood sugar. Diabetes medications are also used to lower blood sugar. Taking ginger along with diabetes medications might cause your blood sugar to go too low. Monitor your blood sugar closely. The dose of your diabetes medication might need to be changed.

Some medications used for diabetes include glimepiride (Amaryl), glyburide (DiaBeta, Glynase PresTab, Micronase), insulin, metformin (Glucophage), pioglitazone (Actos), rosiglitazone (Avandia), and others.

Medications for high blood pressure (Calcium channel blockers)

Ginger might reduce blood pressure in a way that is similar to some medications for blood pressure and heart disease. Taking ginger along with these medications might cause your blood pressure to drop too low or cause an irregular heartbeat.

Some medications for high blood pressure and heart disease include nifedipine (Adalat, Procardia), verapamil (Calan, Isoptin, Verelan), diltiazem (Cardizem), isradipine (DynaCirc), felodipine (Plendil), amlodipine (Norvasc), and others.

OMG!! Thank you for this comment. I had no idea that simple Ginger could cause problems of this nature. I will recommend Ginger to this person but will tell her to first check with her health care provider. I would hate for her to have a reaction to something that I encouraged her to take!:eek:

We take natural whole herb ginger root 550 mg at our morning and evening meal. Works great. The brand we use is Spring Valley and I think we got them at Rite Aid, but any similar product will do.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

I took the ginger pills while we cruised last year. Worked great! I actually started taking them a couple of days before. One tab at breakfast and another at dinner. We ended up missing a port so had 3 sea days and I didn't feel sick at all. I think I bought mine at a CVS. Won't leave home without them. Wire for car sickness too.

I agree with the 550 mg. dosage of ginger root. I usually only take it once a day, so see what works for you. You can start a couple of days before your cruise or flight, but I think it works immediately.

Also be aware that it acts as a blood thinner. You don't want to take it right before a surgery. If you have an emergency surgery while taking it just be sure to mention it so they will be aware. If you are taking aspirin as a blood thinner you need to consult your doctor before taking ginger. If you have no medical issues, ginger is perfectly safe for a week cruise!

Where can you buy Ginger Force? And how much is it?

Although I live in Australia I have friends going to the US in July....

I got mine at Whole Foods where it was about $28 for a bottle of 60. Do a search online, though - looks like Amazon is selling it for half that. Note to self for next time!

I have used ginger root for years. I can even read in a car when I take it. I usually take 2 capsules about 1 hour before boarding the ship. I always take it with food because it can burn a little because it is spicy. The first day I take it every 4 or 5 hours except when sleeping. Starting on the 2nd day I only take it 2 times a day unless the ship is really moving alot. I love taking it opposed to dramamine because dramamine makes me tired and dries my mouth so much. I get it at CVS in powder for that is in capsules.

On my first cruise I made the mistake of taking a non-drowsy dramamine... as a single parent of a young child, that was a HUGE mistake! Knocked me out.

Since then I've tried various ginger items. Preggie Pops were an interesting option. I was skeptical of trying the ginger altoids, doubting they had real ginger in them, and if there was enough. It's all I use now.

Archived