Buenos Aires Tango Dinner Dance

highbridger

Second the recommendation for Gardel. Have been there several times and it is a consistent, well-done production. There are some small "avant-garde" tango productions that are also good, but for the traditional Argentine dance and music, ECG is top-notch. You can arrange with your hotel concierge for bookings that can include transportation from/to your hotel.

I think it depends on whether you want to see true tango or a Broadway production. When we went in '10, I did a lot of research and we decided to try a smaller and "more real" experience because we felt that would suit us better. That said, we went to the Confiteria Ideal. The tables were right on the dance floor and the dancers were so close that we could have touched them. We were very pleased with the level of dance, and the orchestra was extremely talented. We left the evening very satisfied to have seen such an entertaining mix of tasngo and folkloric dance. And we paid a lot less than the production shows. However, I can't speak to the satsifaction of these other shows as we never attended them.

Ciao,

Nikki

A group from our Roll Call attended a post-cruise dinner and performance at Tango Porteño on January 30; we thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of the experience and had a lot of fun...

The show itself--performed theater style with strong choreography/staging and attractive sets--was engaging, professional, and enjoyable with a very talented--and very large--live band that provided all music and several talented vocalists to round out the experience...

Dinner was fresh and tasty--far better than one might find at many similar offerings... And the wine kept coming...

The venue itself is stylish [reminiscent of Art Deco]/clean and is cared for impeccably... Seating is on three tiers [it was not at all crowded on a Monday evening when no ships were in port; I imagine that there would be more guests on weekends and/or when cruise ships are in]... We were seated at the rail on the second tier and had an excellent/unobstructed view...

Pre-show customer service was highly responsive [we each reserved/paid for the evening independently via the internet/e-mail prior to leaving the US]... We were coming from different hotels and wanted to be seated together; our request was handled flawlessly...

Hotel pick-up was exactly as promised and post-show drop off was quick/efficient [they don't fool around; the show ended at about 11:40 and I was back at The Marriott just before midnight]...

Celebrity offers a number of Tango Show options--with lunch, with dinner, with airport drop-off [we ended our cruise in Buenos Aires]--through ShoreEx... Many of those tours use Tango Porteño [we selected it basis favorable reviews on Trip Advisor and other on-line sources including their own website]...

Overall, we were impressed... Have fun; it was a very nice evening!

We went to La Ventana and had a great time. The food and wine were excellent. We liked the wine so much that we purchased several bottles. Stayed at the Sofitel (beautiful) and the concierge made the arrangements for us.

We were in BA on a land tour. We had dinner in a restaurant accross the street from a tango show and restaurant. Don't remember the name but the show was very good. Not a huge production, but a few very talented dancers and good music for them.

Go to a show if you have never been to BA before, by all means!

We were in BA 3 years ago and CaRLOS g SHOW HIGHLY RATED. wE ALSO SUGGEST SKIP THE DINNER and just go to the late show & arrange for a driver to take you & pick you up as it's potentially not safe to look for a street cab late at night.

We were in Buenos Aires back in 2008 for 4 days pre-cruise. We had booked a private tour guide and driver. One night we went to the Tango show at Esquina Carlos Gardel based on their recommendation. My wife loved it. Made me buy the DVD. Dinner was good, but order the beef, not the chicken. Also, try to sit facing the stage. The place is filled with long tables perpendicular to the stage. Unfortunately, we were seated near the front and a bit to the side so that my back was facing the stage. I got a stiff neck trying to watch the show. My wife had no problem.

Archived