Just got back. Sapphire beach review

kentuckychris

Just to clarify for others who have not been to St John, it is only a short 20 - 30 minute taxi to the Red Hook ferry (which is a 3 minute drive from Sapphire Beach) and a 15 - 20 minute ferry to Cruz Bay. You could spent time there just shopping (great shops there) with lunch and have a quality Hook bracelet custom made at the same time. And a taxi to one of the gorgeous beaches is only 15 minutes.

We like Coki and Sapphire and if someone is looking for the most beach time they can get with minimal travel or have a short time in port we would recommend these too. But the beaches of STJ are definitely worth the extra hour or so to get there and back if you want a gorgeous beach and unique shopping and if you have the time. Just for those torn between the two options. Another great option is Coki early and then a taxi to Sapphire as Coki starts filling up. And of course a stop at Paradise Point is a must if time allows, or Iggie's beach bar on the return from Red Hook.

Blue Water: I saw a question about car rental but no answer. Since you were there a week thought you might talk about rental. I have reserved a car from Budget from the pier and we plan on Coki and then Sapphire and stops in between to sample island eateries. Is this a good plan IYO? The car doesn't cost but a handfull of $$ more than a taxi and is at our disposal and time frame. Thanks:p

Becci, that sounds like a good plan to me. I think that more cruisers should consider renting a vehicle if they've been to St Thomas before so they can explore on their schedule.

But for local eateries, there aren't many local eateries between Coki and Sapphire. There's a vegetarian eatery with very limited seating, a fried chicken place or two, and a coffee shop, I think.

Most of the local eateries outside of town are take-out or food vans. The food van near Food Center has outdoor seating, but I haven't had their food yet.

Blue Water: I saw a question about car rental but no answer. Since you were there a week thought you might talk about rental. I have reserved a car from Budget from the pier and we plan on Coki and then Sapphire and stops in between to sample island eateries. Is this a good plan IYO? The car doesn't cost but a handfull of $$ more than a taxi and is at our disposal and time frame. Thanks:p

Sry Becci, in the Caymans right now, yes definitely agreat choice. Hit Iggie's at Bolongo beach after leaving Sapphire or one of the several spots on Red hook like Big Bamboozor Island Time, both overlooking the marina.

We've rented a car several times on St. Thomas. I'd suggest that you get to the rental agency as soon as you possibly can. I've seen them run out of cars before, and turn away people with confirmed reservations... :(

Have fun on St. Thomas!

Great! Yes reserving is the way to go and getting there early is key.

Since Red Hook is just past Sapphire you could hit a restaurant/bar there before hitting Sapphire, then just stopping at Iggie's for a rum punch. Just another option if you want to grab a bite between beaches.

Have a great cruise!

Blue Water: I contacted Sapphire Beach Resort to inquire about the use of the pools for a day pass as my husband is limited in mobility and needs to stay out of the direct heat. The young lady who answered the phone indicated that the pools are open to the public. Does that sound correct? How far of a walk from the beach to the pools? Also, how far to the Banana cabana eatery from the beach/pool area? We are there next week.

Blue Water: I contacted Sapphire Beach Resort to inquire about the use of the pools for a day pass as my husband is limited in mobility and needs to stay out of the direct heat. The young lady who answered the phone indicated that the pools are open to the public. Does that sound correct? How far of a walk from the beach to the pools? Also, how far to the Banana cabana eatery from the beach/pool area? We are there next week.

I am not Blue Water, but I can tell you that the pool and the Banana Cabana are just steps from the beach. Perhaps something has changed, but I was told by our the people setting up our chairs last time that the pool was for resort guests only. It was not a big deal for us. It is just an average pool. The beach was our draw. The slope is so gentle it should be easy for anyone to enter if the waves are calm, as they usually are.

Thought that sounded a little too strange also. Because of my husband's heart condition, he must be very cautious about becoming overheated. I really want to go to Sapphire Beach but we are there next week and the temperatures are projected to be in the mid to upper 80's. If we attempted and needed to return to ship without the rest of our group (9 others), would it be relatively easy to get a taxi at the resort? Thanks in advance for the response.

Thought that sounded a little too strange also. Because of my husband's heart condition, he must be very cautious about becoming overheated. I really want to go to Sapphire Beach but we are there next week and the temperatures are projected to be in the mid to upper 80's. If we attempted and needed to return to ship without the rest of our group (9 others), would it be relatively easy to get a taxi at the resort? Thanks in advance for the response.

Very easy to get a taxi from Sapphire. They pull up out front about every 15 minutes. :)

There is so much cool shade at Sapphire he will probably be fine. The water in the ocean is so close and easy to access that he could just step in and splash himself a bit if he needs to cool off. Otherwise you should be able to get a taxi back with no problem.

griffvols the Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina pool is for guest use only (those owning or renting condos there). Sunny az girl is correct on that point but in regards to the pool it is a very nice two-tiered pool that we love using when there and is very cool so I'm sorry you can't use it while there.

The taxi will drop you at the entrance to the resort lobby and the beach is just steps from there. There are several shaded spots lining the beach near the water to the right (in front of bldgs A & B) and also at the rear of the beach to the south (left) of the dive shop. No worries on protection from the sun. Sorry I can't help with the freshwater pool, if I knew an owner who would be at the pool that day we would ask them to invite you to the pool.

There is always a taxi or 2 stationed at the resort lobby when ships are in, no worries there either. The sea can be rough on sea swell days but is generally very nice.

Relax and enjoy a wonderful day at Sapphire and I'm sure you will love the beach and the island views!

I saw that at Coki Beach as well so the next year I bought dog biscuits from home....we went to trunk bay and a giant blue Parrott Fish took the whole thing in his mouth at once...almost my finger with it. Parrott Fish can unhinge their jaws ( like snakes do ) so be careful. Best not to feed the fish, just float and don't splash the fish will come to you. They are curious.

• 4 weeks later...
Just got back from my Western cruise on Sunday and today was the first I had time to reply. I don't know why they can have rice crispies, but that's what we were told. Maybe because they are pure without dyes. They sure did like them. The taxi was a set price. It was $10pp each way. The iguana's were eating mostly fruit. I had some lettuce from my sandwich that I gave them. It's a great place for the kids of any age. Since it wasn't crowded like the other beach, they had plenty of room to play. If you have any other questions, just ask and I will be happy to answer.

We always take food from the cruise for our excursions. So when people ask what to pack for your cruise trip I always mention baggies. :D

Be prepared for many of the pretty pictures on this thread to go away soon. With Webshots closing there will just be a lot of red x's where we used to see beautiful pics of Sapphire Beach!:eek: I will be transferring mine over to a Flickr account, but won't be able to "fix" the pictures I have previously posted.:(

Be prepared for many of the pretty pictures on this thread to go away soon. With Webshots closing there will just be a lot of red x's where we used to see beautiful pics of Sapphire Beach!:eek: I will be transferring mine over to a Flickr account, but won't be able to "fix" the pictures I have previously posted.:(

What is webshots? Is a site that people upload their pictures?

Well we always have this to get us through -

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com/

Ahhh, thanks for reminding me. It's chilly here today and that was nice to watch for a little bit. :D

What is webshots? Is a site that people upload their pictures?

yes. It is/was a site where many of us uploaded pictures for sharing. As of Dec 1 none of those pictures will be available anymore. I am scrambling to find a new site. Thank goodness I have backed all of my pictures up on discs and an external hard drive.

yes. It is/was a site where many of us uploaded pictures for sharing. As of Dec 1 none of those pictures will be available anymore. I am scrambling to find a new site. Thank goodness I have backed all of my pictures up on discs and an external hard drive.

Well that sucks. There is always Photobucket (which I only use if I make a picture that I want to post just on here to share for information) and flickr (which has a limited amount of uploads a month I think.) I have both the pro flickr accounts and pro smugmug accounts. So I guess my pictures won't be affected.

Well that sucks. There is always Photobucket (which I only use if I make a picture that I want to post just on here to share for information) and flickr (which has a limited amount of uploads a month I think.) I have both the pro flickr accounts and pro smugmug accounts. So I guess my pictures won't be affected.

I am checking out both flicker pro and SmugMug pro. Just from my first impression I am leaning towards SmugMug. It just looks easier to upload my 6,600+ pictures I had on Webshots. Do you have a preference?

I also have a photobucket account, but I use that pretty much just for uploading pictures and graphics I found on the web, not so much my own.

I personally find smugmug harder to figure out on the settings, however it looks A LOT better of course and it can do a lot more. Flickr is pretty easy to use but not very appealing when others looks at your pictures. If I had to chose, I would do smugmug.

Archived