Just got back. Sapphire beach review

kentuckychris

+1.

If you aren't going to tip them, at least be nice to them!

BTW, if you guys new how much brand new pilots make on the regionals, you probably would be tipping them too!!

Yeah, less than most waiters. Many of them start off at less than $18k a year.

• 2 weeks later...

One note on the iguanas, they are attracted to red so if you have red toenails beware! :eek:

Me thinks there is a good story behind this...do tell!

Just wondering why the pet store said it was ok to feed the fish rice crispies? (just wondering for my next trip). I've used fruit loops before and then after returning I found out it was a no-no and what all it does to the fish and the ocean. So last time I took fish food pellets. Just wondering what the deal is with the rice crispies...if you knew the logic behind that.

just a guess on my part but I imagine fruit loops is full of food dye, which isn't good for anyone, perhaps the rice crispies do not have (as many) additives?

Thanks for the reviews everyone, we are up in the air as to what we will do in October, but if we do a beach snorkel day, I think this is the one we will go for!

We loved our stay at the Sapphire Beach Resort, the sapphire water color is hypnotizing and it's a decent snorkel site. Have a great day!

Ps - the red nail polish does have a story but not too much to say, just a very surprised girl who discovered this while sunbathing on the beach! Needless to say she now removes the nail polish before hitting the sand...:p

thanks to Mitsu and all others who contributed here. We took the taxi to Sapphire ($10/pp, dropped off down by the beach). Since my favorite snorkling beach is West Bay, Roatan, I'll compare the two.

1. Beautiful scenery: Edge...Sapphire. While both are clean, white sand beaches, Sapphire has the edge looking out to the distant islands. WB maybe with the sunsets.

2. Water clarity: Even. Doesn't get any clearer.

3. Amenities: Edge...WB. A lot more bars/restaurants to choose from.

4. Reef: Edge....WB. For those who have snorkled WB, it doesn't get any better...very accessable, abundant wildlife, great rock formations. While Sapphire is as accessable (maybe ever more than WB), Sapphire's reef is a few notches below WB. Sapphire's inner reef (beginning at the shore) is pretty much worn and beat up with a lot of broken coral everywhere. WB has a few more years to get there. Once you get farther out at the rocky point to the right (as previously described), Sapphire's reef is much better and more pristine with a good amount of critters. The only problem I experienced was the strong current right at the point. I'm a good swimmer, but it was a little difficult swimming back against the current.

Overall, if you enjoy snorkling, either beach would fit the bill.

Thanks again.

• 1 month later...
thanks to Mitsu and all others who contributed here. We took the taxi to Sapphire ($10/pp, dropped off down by the beach). Since my favorite snorkling beach is West Bay, Roatan, I'll compare the two.

1. Beautiful scenery: Edge...Sapphire. While both are clean, white sand beaches, Sapphire has the edge looking out to the distant islands. WB maybe with the sunsets.

2. Water clarity: Even. Doesn't get any clearer.

3. Amenities: Edge...WB. A lot more bars/restaurants to choose from.

4. Reef: Edge....WB. For those who have snorkled WB, it doesn't get any better...very accessable, abundant wildlife, great rock formations. While Sapphire is as accessable (maybe ever more than WB), Sapphire's reef is a few notches below WB. Sapphire's inner reef (beginning at the shore) is pretty much worn and beat up with a lot of broken coral everywhere. WB has a few more years to get there. Once you get farther out at the rocky point to the right (as previously described), Sapphire's reef is much better and more pristine with a good amount of critters. The only problem I experienced was the strong current right at the point. I'm a good swimmer, but it was a little difficult swimming back against the current.

Overall, if you enjoy snorkling, either beach would fit the bill.

Thanks again.

I am just now seeing this. Glad you had a good trip. I really want to go back but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of ships that we sail with that go there (unless you are on a 9-10 day cruise or the Epic). Hopefully some day I'll get back there and I can't wait.

I am just now seeing this. Glad you had a good trip. I really want to go back but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of ships that we sail with that go there (unless you are on a 9-10 day cruise or the Epic). Hopefully some day I'll get back there and I can't wait.

West Bay is a nice bay, we haven't stayed there yet but plan to. Enjoyed lunch at the Thirsty Turtle at Bananarama and checked out the hotels but never snorkeled Roatan. Saw many divers heading out from West End, very popular dive location. We also liked West End for its "funkiness". Short water taxi ride between the two.

Sapphire does offer beautiful island views of St John and Tortola, love staying there for that reason after our stay on Tortola.

• 1 month later...

I just joined this site yesterday, and am starting to look for reviews from each of our ports. Sapphire Beach sounds perfect, especially since my husband has never been to the Caribbean, let alone gone snorkeling. Thanks for the review!

Do the $10 taxis charge more to bring you from Sapphire beach to PP (instead of being dropped off at the ship)?

Thanks

Depends on the taxi, some of the safati-types won't take you up, just ask the taxi coordinator or drivers in the Sapphire lot.

Better yet, if you don't find a driver right away there's an excellent concierge gal in the Sapphire Resort lobby, just ask her to help get the right taxi. There are sedan taxis stationed in Red Hook which is a short 3 minute drive away. We used her advice for dining in Red Hook evenings...

The price may be a couple $ more because of the drive up the hill or it may be the same...

Have a great day!

The small grill on the beach (Banana Cabana) serves a good mahi mahi sandwich and burger as well as cold beer and drinks, and there are runners taking pizza and beer orders and thete is a restaurant on the hill behind Sapphire Village. Cash only yes.

Sapphire Beach is our favorite beach anywhere (so far). We love the natural shade, the snorkeling for all levels (beginner to advanced), the Banana Cabana for simple grilled lunches and the beautiful scenery. There have always been restroom facilities available when we have been there. Our first trip there was on a Sunny Liston tour. Our second trip there we prearranged for Sunny to take our family there and pick us up (no tour). We are doing the same thing for our group in May. I can't wait to return!:)

Here our our pictures form both of our trips there:

Did you just stay in St Thomas. We have also been to St John. My dh liked the snorkeling there. How does it compare? Thanks

Sapphire Beach is our favorite beach anywhere (so far). We love the natural shade, the snorkeling for all levels (beginner to advanced), the Banana Cabana for simple grilled lunches and the beautiful scenery. There have always been restroom facilities available when we have been there. Our first trip there was on a Sunny Liston tour. Our second trip there we prearranged for Sunny to take our family there and pick us up (no tour). We are doing the same thing for our group in May. I can't wait to return!:)

Here our our pictures form both of our trips there:

Did you just stay in St Thomas. We have also been to St John. My dh liked the snorkeling there. How does it compare? Thanks

We have been to St. Thomas 3X. The first and last time we were there we stayed in St. Thomas. the middle time we went on a day sail to St. John. It was nice and I am glad we did it, but we prefer to have a relaxing beach day at Sapphire Beach than spend the time it takes to go to St. John.

We've cruised to STT 4 times and ferried from there to spend time on Tortola twice. Most recent trip we returned to STT and spent a week at Sapphire. Beautiful condo, great pool, gorgeous views of Tortola and St John from the balcony, amd a pretty decent beach.

I would definitely recommend a day amd evening on STJ too though, just a beautiful sland.

We have been to St. Thomas several times - took Godfrey's tour once, and loved it, snorkeled at Coki beach twice, once went over to St. Johns. We really didn't prefer the long trek to St Johns at all. This time will snorkel at Sapphire thanks to all of your posts. We also then come back to the ship, clean up, eat if we need to, then walk into Charlotte Amalie. Shopping or just walking around is good there.

Archived