Luggage tags being withdrawn fleetwide

LeeGrant

"It's EXACTLY like an airline. And nobody prints airline luggage tags out at home, or obsesses about them like the cruise ship tags."

No EXACTLY the same.....Do your bags which are checked on your airplane get delivered directly to your home or hotel room? :cool:

I don't see the point. Even IF there was a problem (which I have never encountered), if they can't figure out where the bag is supposed to go, it's still going to be on the ship! Drop your bags curbside at the airport, and they can (and do) end up all over the country. Worst case scenario on board, the bag is down below.

Still not a relevant argument as to why anyone needs to bother with this, as they do put the tags on right at the curb.

I don't see the point. Even IF there was a problem (which I have never encountered), if they can't figure out where the bag is supposed to go, it's still going to be on the ship! Drop your bags curbside at the airport, and they can (and do) end up all over the country. Worst case scenario on board, the bag is down below.

Still not a relevant argument as to why anyone needs to bother with this, as they do put the tags on right at the curb.

Of course its not slowing you down...... just everybody WAITING BEHIND YOU!

Of course its not slowing you down...... just everybody WAITING BEHIND YOU!

Absolutely not true. To even insinuate that is absurd. It takes the porter about five seconds to slap a tag on there. They are happy to do it. Ask them next time and they'll tell you they don't mind or care one bit.

Absolutely not true. To even insinuate that is absurd. It takes the porter about five seconds to slap a tag on there. They are happy to do it. Ask them next time and they'll tell you they don't mind or care one bit.

I wont have to, I'll be prepared!

It really has nothing to do with being "obsessed" with the tags. i just like having the luggage tags so I order them. If they stop mailing them, no big deal at all, I will get them at the port or print them and tap them to the luggage. But as long as I can order them, no reason not to.

It really has nothing to do with being "obsessed" with the tags. i just like having the luggage tags so I order them. If they stop mailing them, no big deal at all, I will get them at the port or print them and tap them to the luggage. But as long as I can order them, no reason not to.

That's a good answer. And I guess I should be careful about using the word "obsession". Individually, I can't imagine anyone obsessed with them, but en masse, there seems to be an odd amount of enthusiasm over them....

And thank you for not joining in the ridiculous claim that having the porters apply tags at the curb somehow slows things down too much.

That $35 charge for my paper docs really grinds my gears. This "cost cutting" is getting ridiculous.

Out of curiosity, why do you get the paper docs?

Just a preference. It makes it feel more like cruise time when you get them in the mail versus printing them from the computer.
While I agree that $35 for printing a few pages is overcharging, it really is your choice to pay for a totally discretionary item.

What do you do with these documents after the cruise? Do you keep them as mementos? If not save yourself the money and don't bother.

Just think ,$35 will get you a decent bottle of wine .:)

So long as I live, I will never understand the obsession my cruising brethren seem to have with luggage tags. I've never ordered them, never printed them, never, EVER bothered to use them.

Every time I get to the port, I show the porter my documents, and he or she slaps a tag on the luggage. Never once have I had any problem receiving my luggage. And never once has this in any way slowed down my curbside experience.

It's EXACTLY like an airline. And nobody prints airline luggage tags out at home, or obsesses about them like the cruise ship tags.

Really kind of pointless....

Sounds like you're obsessing about other people's obsessions.:D

Just had to enter the fun here.

Just been advised that our edocs are available. They include a one page fully detailed luggage tag which they say can be printed as many times as required. There are specific instructions on how to fold the tags (1st fold here, 2nd fold here, do not cut etc), where to write the passenger name and where to staple.

However, I was also able to order tags to be mailed to me from RCI. So guess what I did, yep, I've ordered them to be sent in the mail, I'm not that good at origami! :D

Just wanted to add, that now having had the opportunity to print page 7 of the edocs and follow the folding instructions, I can see how good these paper ones are.

My only issue is the instruction to staple twice or tape where indicated. I can't add these to the bag until I arrive in port as I'm flying to Barcelona so it's not practical to add them before boarding a flight (they won't survive that handling I can guarantee, even my plastic luggage tags rarely survive!).

I don't want to carry a stapler with me, and rarely carry strong enough tape either. Now what's the Spanish for 'stapler' or 'Sellotape', I believe my US friends refer to it as scotch tape.

OK, found the translations, so now all I need to do is ask for a 'grapadora' :D

Must practice ¿tienes una grapadora puedo pedir prestado? Or ¿tiene alguna cinta adhesiva que pueda usar?

Think I've changed my mind about ordering tags after performing origami this morning! :D

At the top is the full piece of paper with the tag printed, after the first 4th folding instructions the result is underneath, not bad IMHO. :D

6838041472_22faba81e8_z.jpg

Think I've changed my mind about ordering tags after performing origami this morning! :D

At the top is the full piece of paper with the tag printed, after the first 4th folding instructions the result is underneath, not bad IMHO. :D

6838041472_22faba81e8_z.jpg

They don't look like they will stand much handling , royal have messed up with ours , we sail next month and they still haven't put the option of printing our tags on our booking , twice my TA has rung them and asked for it to be put on ,and always told it will be on by noon tomorrow , that was 4 days ago , they have now told her they will mail them to me , seeing as it's still not on my booking I don't see how they can print them off either ,looks like I could end up literally making my own out of card , would probably be more serviceable too .

They don't look like they will stand much handling , royal have messed up with ours , we sail next month and they still haven't put the option of printing our tags on our booking , twice my TA has rung them and asked for it to be put on ,and always told it will be on by noon tomorrow , that was 4 days ago , they have now told her they will mail them to me , seeing as it's still not on my booking I don't see how they can print them off either ,looks like I could end up literally making my own out of card , would probably be more serviceable too .

No joy with mine yet either Lottycruiser:mad:

27 days left to get them!!

Have you phoned royal ? It might be wise to give them a call and ask why they are not in your docs to print .

Have phoned Royal but same old answer ' my travel agent has to contact them to do it, they cant reissue them until my ta calls them'.

If havent heard anything back from TA by tomorrow will contact TA again to get them to phone them. So frustrating.....

As I said, doubt they'd stand up to being transported via air, but I reckon if they are added before you arrive at the port, they would stand up to the handling from curbside to room. I'll try them out in 59 days!

Have phoned Royal but same old answer ' my travel agent has to contact them to do it, they cant reissue them until my ta calls them'.

If havent heard anything back from TA by tomorrow will contact TA again to get them to phone them. So frustrating.....

This is quite unacceptable , royal have your money I don't see why they can't just issue the bag tags for you , it is their mistake not putting the option on your booking , how on earth can the TA print off your tags when there is no option to do this , I hope that they buck their ideas up over this , if they are going to trial this method they need to make sure they know what they are doing , you must feel so frustrated over this , especially having to keep pestering your TA , hope you manage to sort this out soon .

This is quite unacceptable , royal have your money I don't see why they can't just issue the bag tags for you , it is their mistake not putting the option on your booking , how on earth can the TA print off your tags when there is no option to do this , I hope that they buck their ideas up over this , if they are going to trial this method they need to make sure they know what they are doing , you must feel so frustrated over this , especially having to keep pestering your TA , hope you manage to sort this out soon .

Maybe pested TAs will get the message across to RCI that the idea stinks.

Royal is offering to mail luggage tags. We are sailing the Mariner April 1st and I printed our documents when issued and when the reservation had dropped to under 50 days the button to order the tags appeared on the page to "View The Documents". They arrived and are substantial and water resistant.

Ok, well this is where I am.....

My TA contacted Royal and they have said that they will re request the documents and e mail them to her (should take approx 48 hrs) this should show the new bag tag system. My TA is then going to print off extra copies of the bag tags and post them to me!!!

I have gone into my booking a few minutes ago and it now says that my 'documents are not yet issued' so I guess they are doing what they said they would!!!

What a palaver!!!

Maybe pested TAs will get the message across to RCI that the idea stinks.

In your humble opinion of course!!! ;)

If you have a question about your bag tags, someone emailed guestsupport.uk@rccl.com and mentioned this problem about the docs not having the tag, they gave them their booking number and the next day there were new docs on the website with the bag tag page there!!!

Ok, well this is where I am.....

My TA contacted Royal and they have said that they will re request the documents and e mail them to her (should take approx 48 hrs) this should show the new bag tag system. My TA is then going to print off extra copies of the bag tags and post them to me!!!

I have gone into my booking a few minutes ago and it now says that my 'documents are not yet issued' so I guess they are doing what they said they would!!!

What a palaver!!!

48 hours my a8se! Even their systems are not that slow, I bet if you look on Friday lunchtime they are on the website!

Archived