Wine on board procedure/protocol?

grhokie

Put it in your carry on. All your carry on is scanned, and wine is never a problem. If you are just bringing on 2 bottles, don't put it in your checked baggage for fear of breakage. I put it in my backpack which carries my laptop, and my wife usually takes another 2 bottles on board, going thru a separate screening station. I certainly don't consider it smuggling as we never attempt to conceal it. :rolleyes:

I am going to bring wine onboard and I've never done it before and don't want to look like I am "smuggling" it. Do I just walk through the scanner w/ it in my hand or do they check it in or what?

Thanks.

As everyone has said, just put it in carry on and bring with you. No need to explain that you have 2 bottles as security is aware you are allowed 2 bottles when they "see" it as it goes through the scanning machine.

I am going to bring wine onboard and I've never done it before and don't want to look like I am "smuggling" it. Do I just walk through the scanner w/ it in my hand or do they check it in or what?

Thanks.

Well, as long as you are bringing only two bottles of wine onboard, then you will be fine! ;) Now if you decide to bring more than two bottles of wine onboard, those extra bottles would probably be confiscated! :D And, if I were you, I would want to carry the (two) bottles in a strong canvas bag with strap handles! :)

Put it in your carry on. All your carry on is scanned, and wine is never a problem. If you are just bringing on 2 bottles, don't put it in your checked baggage for fear of breakage. I put it in my backpack which carries my laptop, and my wife usually takes another 2 bottles on board, going thru a separate screening station. I certainly don't consider it smuggling as we never attempt to conceal it. :rolleyes:

Check out the wine boxes, they are getting some nice wines now, being in a bladder container they stay fresh with no air getting to them. Also each box can hold six bottles and no worry about breakage when you put them in your checked luggage. Plus if X-ray machine is used it does not look like liquor. Fran:)

Check out the wine boxes, they are getting some nice wines now, being in a bladder container they stay fresh with no air getting to them. Also each box can hold six bottles and no worry about breakage when you put them in your checked luggage. Plus if X-ray machine is used it does not look like liquor. Fran:)

Quick question about bringing box wine onboard the Soltice. What size box can one bring onboard? Does it have to be in the ship thru luggage or can it be carried on? Can one bring on wine after being on the islands (St. Thomas or St. Maarten)?

Check out this thread for a discussion about boxes of wine. You might not be able to bring boxes of wine on at all. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1576434

At some embarkation ports, or on some ships, Celebrity uses newer scanning machines that detects any alcoholic liquid in luggage. They had these on our Constellation cruise from Ft. Lauderdale last March and there were a lot of people making trips to the naughty room who never had issues before.

You can put wine in your luggage or your carry-on, but if it is in your luggage you run the risk of your luggage being delayed for inspection if the scanners raise a question about it. We take ours in carry-on so this can't happen.

The policy allows only 2 bottles of wine to be brought on at initial embarkation and none at ports of call.

can you bring rum onboard?

No. Only wine (including Champagne). If you bring aboard hard liquor (such as Rum) at a port they will take if from you at the gangway and hold-it until the end of the cruise when it should be delivered to your cabin. However, if you get caught at embarkation they may take it and you may never see it again (ever wonder why many of the port workers have smiles?).

Hank

The rules are clear, the implementation seems to vary based on the ship, the port and perhaps the number of whales within 340 miles. Personally, we have never been stopped for bringing wine or alcohol on board at various ports nor at embarcation. I guess others have been stopped....I have seen a table at times set up with maybe a bottle on it.

As far as the rules, you may bring on board up to two 750ml bottles of wine per stateroom when you first board the ship. Any other wine/liquor that you purchase on the trip will be kept for you and returned the last night so you can pack it to leave.

Wine is wine...not fortified wine....and it can have bubbles if you prefer. No, Scotch, Vodka, Rum, Tennessee Hooch are not wine.

Well, as long as you are bringing only two bottles of wine onboard, then you will be fine! ;) Now if you decide to bring more than two bottles of wine onboard, those extra bottles would probably be confiscated! :D And, if I were you, I would want to carry the (two) bottles in a strong canvas bag with strap handles! :)

Forgive the probably dumb question, but that's 2 bottles per couple/cabin, not per person, right? THX. Vick

Forgive the probably dumb question' date=' but that's 2 bottles per couple/cabin, not per person, right? THX. Vick[/color']

Yes.

Now say you put two bottles in your suitcase and carry on two bottles. And your husband does the same.

We had eight bottles this way.

We always put it in our checked bags... along with our rum' date=' coke, and our iron.[/quote']

Hi, IRONS are not allowed on ships!! Slow even heat over time = fire. Ex. You iron something at the desk, forget to turn the iron off, paper blows against the iron, you go ashore for the day, Would you want a cabin next to someone that is forgetful and has left a hot iron plugged in? They will take your iron before they take the rum.

Thanks.

You are allowed 2 bottles. Just walk on with them. If you consume them in your cabin there is no corakage charge. Your steward will supply you with corkscrew, wineglasses. If you consume in the dining room there will be a corkage charge of (I believe) $25.00.

Carole

If you are doing a back to back can you bring on 4 bottles?

No, you would need to bring two on at your original embarkation and then you could obtain another two bottles for your second embarkation.

Alternatively, bring two on in your carry on. Have your husband do the same. When going through security, ignore the "every member of your party must stay together" sign and then put two in each of your suitcases. Where people get in trouble is when they put three or four in one suitcase and then try to say it was for another cabin. Those are the bags that will get pulled.

If you are going out of San Juan, you can also purchase wines at the dutry free store at the pier and bring those on. We boarded the Summit and went back off the ship to get more wine, soft drinks and bottled water and proceeded in the same manner. I think we ended up with 12 or 14 bottles.

I like the way you think!

Very interesting. I think we are not brave enough to pull that one off. But, if I carried 1 bottle and DH carried 2 in our carry-ons, they won't figure out we have more than 2 for 2 people? Aren't we allowed only 1 bottle per person?

Very interesting. I think we are not brave enough to pull that one off. But' date=' if I carried 1 bottle and DH carried 2 in our carry-ons, they won't figure out we have more than 2 for 2 people? Aren't we allowed only 1 bottle per person?[/color']

Officially two bottles per stateroom so yes, one per person.

Archived