Not So "LIVE" Allure of the Seas: TAKE 2

QTMichele

Thanks Pinkbaby01 - we already have an over the water cabana booked through the Labadee Excursions section of the Royal Caribbean web page. Now I`m just trying to figure out how early we should make our way off the ship to ensure we get a good choice of cabanas.

Thanks again,

MouseGirl

You are welcome, we will be on the Allure in 5 weeks! Have a great cruise and enjoy, I know we will :)

Michele

I'm home staving off PCD with your review ( and ignoring that mountain of mail) loving it...ok, I cried about the surprise and it's not even my family...I'm expecting real water works once you get the wedding:rolleyes:

We did love Jewel! What a beautiful ship! But a touch more crowded than Oasis, ( I, KNOW!) and if I had a nickel for every person who said- " if 2300 is like this I'll never cruise Oasis or Allure" I could spend at least 10 minutes at that slot machine you tried;) I was constantly explaining that Oasis was less crowded than Jewel, even with 3x the pax! On Jewel it was the pool on sea days; just a mob scene, and those Centrum shops were the only route through the center of the ship and a real bottle neck. It wasn't enough ruin the cruise, but noticeable after Oasis.

Ok, dumb question from me... I haven't been to Labadee in a couple of years, but I thought the cabanas were only for suite guests? Are they bookable before cruising ( like a shorex) or only once onboard? You seemed to have no problem scoring 3... What's your secret?

Ok, dumb question from me... I haven't been to Labadee in a couple of years, but I thought the cabanas were only for suite guests? Are they bookable before cruising ( like a shorex) or only once onboard? You seemed to have no problem scoring 3... What's your secret?

The cabanas Michele's family had were on Nellie's Beach (the one beyond Barefoot Beach heading away from the pier), they are available for rent through shore excursions. We booked 2 over the water ones for our cruise at the end of April. They are open to anyone.

Hi Michele wow love your first review, and the second one is coming along really great! We will be sailing on her and staying in cabin 7330 FB, broads in the past,you asked about this cabin..... by chance did you ever get any info on that cabin ?

The cabanas Michele's family had were on Nellie's Beach (the one beyond Barefoot Beach heading away from the pier), they are available for rent through shore excursions. We booked 2 over the water ones for our cruise at the end of April. They are open to anyone.

Thanks! I don't have Labadee on the itinerary anytimes soon, so I haven't paid much attention! Guess I have to read more;)

I keep seeing people talking about rides in Labadee.

Is it that big? My only prior private island experience was cococay, which could give you a long walk if you walked all round it, but certainly didnt need transportation.

I've only been to Labadee twice and Coco Cay once, but they seem similar in size. Both are easily walkable in a fair amount of time, and no transportation is necessary for those who are in at least fair shape. We used the transportation because we had children and their gear. Lazy or efficient? I'm going with efficient. ;)

Great pics and review so far :)

Onion tart as a meal sounds great. Ship looks extremely kid friendly.

Oh, yes, the onion tart was very yummy!

As you know, Jason and I enjoyed our experience on Allure in March 2011; however, this cruise won the prize for awesomeness! LOL It's a WONDERFUL ship for families and groups. I had a hunch when I posted last year, and I was right. When Keith gets older, this may be a trip worth saving for.

Thanks for the photos and review! Do you happen to have pictures of an ocean balcony cabin? We are leaving in 2 weeks!!!!

I DO have pictures!!! These were taken from cabin 8560 on my Allure 2011 cruise.

Here's the link. You can also click on the link in my signature for the full review (Allure 2011).

Michelle - Thanks SOOOO much for the cabana details!!!!!

You're SOOOOOOO welcome!

Michele

I'm home staving off PCD with your review ( and ignoring that mountain of mail) loving it...ok, I cried about the surprise and it's not even my family...I'm expecting real water works once you get the wedding:rolleyes:

We did love Jewel! What a beautiful ship! But a touch more crowded than Oasis, ( I, KNOW!) and if I had a nickel for every person who said- " if 2300 is like this I'll never cruise Oasis or Allure" I could spend at least 10 minutes at that slot machine you tried;) I was constantly explaining that Oasis was less crowded than Jewel, even with 3x the pax! On Jewel it was the pool on sea days; just a mob scene, and those Centrum shops were the only route through the center of the ship and a real bottle neck. It wasn't enough ruin the cruise, but noticeable after Oasis.

Glad you're back! Well, I'm at least hoping you'll share your experience on the Jewel, but am sorry you are back to reality and a pile of mail.

I know what you mean about having to explain about the crowds on the Oasis Class. As much as I want to convince people that their thinking is misguided, a part of me hopes less people will sail on this class so the prices will go DOWN! LOL

I see you've found the answer to the Nellie's Beach cabanas. :)

Hi Michele wow love your first review, and the second one is coming along really great! We will be sailing on her and staying in cabin 7330 FB, broads in the past,you asked about this cabin..... by chance did you ever get any info on that cabin ?

THANKS! I appreciate my readers, and am happy you've stuck around for the second "Not so LIVE" Allure review.

I never received any additional information on that cabin... would still like to know for future reference. I have a feeling this family has not see the last of the Oasis class.

Just a quick post to say that I haven't forgotten to write! I've been super busy AND was diagnosed with bronchitis today. Blah. (No wonder I've had no energy this week! Between being sick with PCD - post cruise depression - and bronchitis, I should be on another cruise recuperating!!!)

I have a question for the video experts out there. I have a video of my sister's surprise reveal, but I don't know the best way to upload it for your viewing pleasure.

First, it is a little long. What is the best way to edit it? I just need to take the first section out. I have a Mac and have no idea if I have video editing software.

Second, I'm not really clueless, but I am ignorant; however, I'm a fast learner and pretty good with computers. Your suggestions would be great.

THANKS!

And I'll work hard at getting another installment for you tomorrow!

Just a quick post to say that I haven't forgotten to write! I've been super busy AND was diagnosed with bronchitis today. Blah. (No wonder I've had no energy this week! Between being sick with PCD - post cruise depression - and bronchitis, I should be on another cruise recuperating!!!)

I have a question for the video experts out there. I have a video of my sister's surprise reveal, but I don't know the best way to upload it for your viewing pleasure.

First, it is a little long. What is the best way to edit it? I just need to take the first section out. I have a Mac and have no idea if I have video editing software.

Second, I'm not really clueless, but I am ignorant; however, I'm a fast learner and pretty good with computers. Your suggestions would be great.

THANKS!

And I'll work hard at getting another installment for you tomorrow!

Love love love your reviews! I hope you feel better real soon. Bronchitis is no fun. As for the video, I'm no expert, in fact, I've never actually done this but H used Windows Live Video Maker. I think it's standard on Windows PCs for the last few years, hopefully you have it. Then he uploads to YouTube. For example, his Vday present to me (with a surprise ending at around 2:53 that everyone should watch.)

(Yes this is a shameful plug for his video, but also a test to see if cruise critic is ok with it).

I'm no expert on the editing part, but youtube allows for some pretty sizable video to be uploaded. I uploaded the flashmob from Allure last May and I think it was nearly 3gb of HD video. (search GINA ALLURE FLASH MOB)

H used Windows Live Video Maker. I think it's standard on Windows PCs for the last few years, hopefully you have it. Then he uploads to YouTube. For example, his Vday present to me (with a surprise ending at around 2:53 that everyone should watch.)
(Yes this is a shameful plug for his video, but also a test to see if cruise critic is ok with it).

I think most of the WINDOWS LIVE stuff is free, but has to be downloaded manually.

The instructions for the family, minus my sister, her fiancé and his brothers, were to go to the Viking Crown Lounge and wait. We chose the VCL to reveal the surprises for a couple of reasons. First, there's a bar. In a Xanax shortage, this is good. Second, we assumed (correctly) that it wouldn't be crowded and we'd have the place to ourselves. Finally, the views are nice.

So, everyone but my sister and her entourage are waiting on me to find my sister. I found her et al in Boleros. Convincing her and the rest of the gang to join me was a little challenging, but I can be convincing.

Under the guise of, "We want you to see the view before it gets too crowded," we made our way to the VCL. My heart was pounding and I was grinning like a goof ball.

My sister greets everyone she "knows" is onboard:

Here she is trying to figure out why everyone is telling her to look "over there."

And then she sees them. Terra finds our aunts and uncles sitting in the high back chairs and SCREAMS, JUMPS UP and DOWN, SCREAMS some more, and CRIES. It was the best surprise EVER!!!! We were all screaming and laughing.

431728_10150806072276164_502681163_12519152_124982472_n.jpg

We've just booked the Allure and its only our 2nd cruise, being from Australia its not easy to come to the USA very often and Australian cruises are rip offs!

I've spent the last 6, yes 6 hours straight reading your first review of the Allure and now this one. (I work night shift but have tonight off so im staying up all night looking at the AMAZING ship!) When we booked the Epic i spent a year researching it and reading great reviews, but I have to say your review is the best thing ever!

As I've been reading it for 6 hours I kind of have become 'attached' to you on the cruise, if you know what I mean? And am just up to the part with the picture above. When I read this is actually brought tears to my eyes! A grown man crying over a review? Wow. But I just felt the connection! I hope this doesnt freak you out, I'm saying its a good thing!! Cant wait to finish the rest of this review, its been a great help!

We've just booked the Allure and its only our 2nd cruise, being from Australia its not easy to come to the USA very often and Australian cruises are rip offs!

I've spent the last 6, yes 6 hours straight reading your first review of the Allure and now this one. (I work night shift but have tonight off so im staying up all night looking at the AMAZING ship!) When we booked the Epic i spent a year researching it and reading great reviews, but I have to say your review is the best thing ever!

As I've been reading it for 6 hours I kind of have become 'attached' to you on the cruise, if you know what I mean? And am just up to the part with the picture above. When I read this is actually brought tears to my eyes! A grown man crying over a review? Wow. But I just felt the connection! I hope this doesnt freak you out, I'm saying its a good thing!! Cant wait to finish the rest of this review, its been a great help!

WOW! Very nice of you - thank you so much! I'm off to write my next installment... :)

As for the video... I'll see what I can do and post it later in my review, if it's a success! THANKS for the tips.

michele,

love both of your reviews!! this ? is more related to your eastern cruise. i was wondering if you would book the starboard side again for eastern ports or would you have rather been port side? we are trying to decide between our aft cabins on starboard side deck 11. or moving to deck 8 port side behind the parkside gallery/retail shop? if we move to 8 our cabins will be closer together but we will still have beds by closet (as we do right now)

michele,

love both of your reviews!! this ? is more related to your eastern cruise. i was wondering if you would book the starboard side again for eastern ports or would you have rather been port side? we are trying to decide between our aft cabins on starboard side deck 11. or moving to deck 8 port side behind the parkside gallery/retail shop? if we move to 8 our cabins will be closer together but we will still have beds by closet (as we do right now)

THANKS so much!

Honestly, I don't know the answer to your question. From what I understand, Allure doesn't always dock in the same direction so the answer may vary. I've never been one to care which side I'm on, as long as I have the location I want (I like elevator/stair locations for convenience), but I know the port or sea view is important for many. I wish I could be more help!

Alrighty, fellow CCers. I've uploaded the SURPRISE video to Facebook. Here's the link:

Now, it took me all of 10 or 15 minutes to put this together, and it's my FIRST time EVER making a video and using the software. There are LOTS of kinks, but I think you'll get the idea. ;)

THANKS so much!

Honestly, I don't know the answer to your question. From what I understand, Allure doesn't always dock in the same direction so the answer may vary. I've never been one to care which side I'm on, as long as I have the location I want (I like elevator/stair locations for convenience), but I know the port or sea view is important for many. I wish I could be more help!

thanks for the reply!

Love love love your reviews! I hope you feel better real soon. Bronchitis is no fun. As for the video, I'm no expert, in fact, I've never actually done this but H used Windows Live Video Maker. I think it's standard on Windows PCs for the last few years, hopefully you have it. Then he uploads to YouTube. For example, his Vday present to me (with a surprise ending at around 2:53 that everyone should watch.)

Sorry for the hijack, Michele, but, Stacia, this was the sweetest thing ever! And that little surprise in there just cracked me up. I wish there had been more!

I'm starting to get a little impatient, Michele ;) I have only three weeks (actually down to 18 days now) to finish reading your review. DH will kill me if I spend our time on Oasis reading CC!!:D

Sorry for the hijack, Michele, but, Stacia, this was the sweetest thing ever! And that little surprise in there just cracked me up. I wish there had been more!

I'm starting to get a little impatient, Michele ;) I have only three weeks (actually down to 18 days now) to finish reading your review. DH will kill me if I spend our time on Oasis reading CC!!:D

Oh my gosh! I watched the video just a little while ago too - loved the end! The video is so sweet and funny - what a great guy!

Okay, Joan... I'm trying! I just posted a video of our surprise, and I'll write more later. :)

The instructions for the family, minus my sister, her fiancé and his brothers, were to go to the Viking Crown Lounge and wait. We chose the VCL to reveal the surprises for a couple of reasons. First, there's a bar. In a Xanax shortage, this is good. Second, we assumed (correctly) that it wouldn't be crowded and we'd have the place to ourselves. Finally, the views are nice.

So, everyone but my sister and her entourage are waiting on me to find my sister. I found her et al in Boleros. Convincing her and the rest of the gang to join me was a little challenging, but I can be convincing.

Under the guise of, "We want you to see the view before it gets too crowded," we made our way to the VCL. My heart was pounding and I was grinning like a goof ball.

My sister greets everyone she "knows" is onboard:

Here she is trying to figure out why everyone is telling her to look "over there."

And then she sees them. Terra finds our aunts and uncles sitting in the high back chairs and SCREAMS, JUMPS UP and DOWN, SCREAMS some more, and CRIES. It was the best surprise EVER!!!! We were all screaming and laughing.

I'm just back from my first cruise on the Allure and couldn't wait to start reading your review! I'm only on page three so far and already cried at the pictures of your sister discovering the rest of the family. How amazing! Can't wait to read the rest of the review over the next few days!

Alrighty, fellow CCers. I've uploaded the SURPRISE video to Facebook. Here's the link:

Now, it took me all of 10 or 15 minutes to put this together, and it's my FIRST time EVER making a video and using the software. There are LOTS of kinks, but I think you'll get the idea. ;)

Such a precious memory. Thanks for sharing it with us. I was tearing up.....she was so surprised. I can't imagine how ya'll kept that a secret!

Archived