Aurora or Arcadia ?

henrytf

Any pointers please:-

Just had our Fred Olsen Med cruise cancelled.(Braemar)

Having booked last November it is now difficult for us to change dates.

We like Fred.Olsen size ships and the whole experience, did try the Azura last year but was not impressed - too big.

Freedom dining .... wasn't as freedom as claimed!

And a bit rowdy at times.

Have been offered good deals on both the Aurora & Arcadia with dates that fit and similar ports of call.

Offers are for 'Balcony Staterooms' - we usualy have balcony suites on Fred, which I am told are a similar size?

Whats the general feeling about these two ships?

We love all aspects of cruising, both in our 50's do enjoy formal evening dining/dancing etc, don't mind kids too much;)! we even have some of our own .. but leave them behind :D.

Just trying to get a feel for what to expect before booking & how they compare to F.O's ships?

Thanks in advance

Henry

We've been on both of these, though only for a 3 nighter on Arcadia.

However we'd happily go on either again.

Aurora has the slightly better room for ballroom/latin dancing if that's a consideration.

I don't believe either offer Freedom Dining.

Thanks Gill - do you get any sun on the balconies ? Have been offered a cabin on A deck (the last/top deck up with cabins on )

It depends what you want - or like - we don't care as much for the cut out balconies, they do have less sun, BUT, they are more sheltered if it's windy.

You may want to mull over the fact Arcadia is adult only, so sometimes that can make the average age higher. Having said that, we have made some good friends on her and they have been our age (50s/very early 60s) and much younger too.

My choice would be Arcadia, but if you like FO, I wonder if Aurora might be more similar?

Good luck with your decision.

we have cruised on both of these, a few times each. always down to a personal opinion. for me and my wife, we prefer aurora. our experience

is all the crew on aurora, always seem very friendly, including those behind the desk at reception! found the opposite on arcadia.

also, the layout of aurora, seems more interesting than arcadia.

overall found arcadia somewhat bland. but perfectly acceptable.

there is an army of fans for arcadia, either ship will give you a good cruise.

regards, mike:)

We perfer Aurora... we dont like the open bars on Arcadia... its too much like sitting at a bar in an air port. In the Piano bar the piano is situated in the corridore so you sit listening acorss the walk way which always seems odd.

I find many of the seats on Arcadia uncomfortable and the theatre seats are very hard to sit on... But since the improvements the aft deck area is much improved... and the new cinama is a lovely addition. We also find the Beleverdere ( self serve) an odd layout and you walk around and around just to get the items you want for breakfast then cant get a seat !!! where as we never find this happens on Aurora... also there are more tea and coffee stations. on Aurora there are 8 in total where as on Arcadia there are 4 so hardly suprising there are queue... BUT these are small things and would not stop be travling on her.

We prefer Aurora we perfer to breakfast in Cafe Bordeaux.. and lunch in there. I dont mind the dark colours its very 1930's... and restful on the eye after a day in the sun...

Arcadia is a larger ship and getting on and off you find you queue or have a wait for tender.. on Aurora there are less people on board so getting on and off is easier less queueing. Again its a small thing... Both ships have thier merits... Both have a covered pool area for dull days. Not all the balconies are in the hull ... some are and some are tradional with the glass front below the rail. It depends what deck you are on. Some were created where on Oriana their was a window and they have created a balcony from that window area. BUT you need to check which deck you are on which have glass and which are cut out of the hull.

REALLY you have to try the ship to see if it FITS YOU... both are lovely.

Hello Henry

We've done cruises on Braemar & Black Watch, and a number on P&O. I think we've decided that we prefer P&O, and bigger ships at that (e.g. Ventura) but that's just us.

We were in a Balcony Suite on Black Watch in December. We thought that in terms of size it compared pretty closely to the standard balcony cabins on Arcadia and Ventura. The standard balcony cabin on Aurora is probably smaller; that's not a big cabin at all. However the Balcony Stateroom on Aurora is a different thing altogether, and would be bigger.

Although we thought the overall size of the Balcony Suite on Black Watch was about equivalent to the standard balcony cabins on Arcadia & Ventura, there's no doubt that the fixtures & fittings in the Black Watch suite were better; I'm thinking of the nicely veneered furniture and wall panelling. The bathroom was bigger, too. But to be honest those are luxuries; the cabins on Arcadia & Ventura do the job just as well, if perhaps not as prettily.

There's reviews of all our recent cruises, including one on each of Arcadia & Black Watch, in my blog.

PS - did they say why your Braemar cruise was cancelled?

Here is a blog post that I wrote after our RTW on both Oriana and Arcadia. We haven't been on Aurora - but basically preferred Oriana over Arcadia.

My biggest problem is not necessarily with Arcadia itself - but moreso with the VISTA class of ship and possibly with all the more modern ships which appear to me to be designed to maximise balcony cabins. I believe that they are more floating apartment blocks than they are ships.

Barry

Hi Henry

So hard to really define the difference between Fred.Olsen and P&O. Our first cruises were on Black Watch and we first went on P&O due to an itinerary we really fancied for a joint anniversary celebration with friends.

Since then we've just felt that the P&O experience suited us a little bit more than Fred's but if we saw the appropriate itinerary at the right price we'd happily go on an F.O cruise again.

Slightly more professional entertainment, more "sports" available, more dining facilities, all factors of being slightly larger ships.

Hope this is of some assistance.

I wouldn't worry atall about the difference in size between Aurora and Arcadia (and if there would be a problem with tenders etc)

Aurora is 76,000 tonnes /Arcadia 83,000 tonnes. Having been on both ships 3 times, they are both nice ships....Arcadia being child free, whichever one you choose will be a goood choice!

Yes - just found this out - some earlier & later cruises have been moved around also.

Its pretty dreadfull treatment from F.O - can't get hold of the senior people - the cruise manager / director is out of office for the next two weeks - i wonder why !!

Sorry my last 'quick reply' didn't quite go where it should!

In reply to Tomuk & as Philayl posted Braemar is being used as a hotel for the Olympic workers - does make you wonder!

Thanks to you all for your comments - this forum is v.good!

We have had some great times with Fred but after this I don't think we will use them again.

However we just don't seem to enjoy the bigger ships.

Thanks for the comments re balconies on the Aurora - have been offered a cabin on A deck, waiting a reply from P&O as to the balcony .

It would seem its the Aurora we will be booking this time as its the only dates that we can make.

So thanks again all ---- will report again when we get back! :rolleyes:

Henry

Unless you go in school holidays the child free issue is not a problem. As you were going on FO it would not be anyway.

Both ships have there good points and there are many similarities for example the dining and the cabin stewarding. Arcadia balcony cabins are larger by about 40 square feet. She also has a new coffee shop in the Spinnaker Bar. However Aurora has a 24 hour eating place, Cafe Bordeaux and Arcadia does not.

Aurora is older.

The only answer is do both and make your own mind up.

BTW we can not decide between them.

Gan Canny

Dai

Re: Arcadia:

She also has a new coffee shop in the Spinnaker Bar.

Gan Canny

Dai

Dai: This is good news! - the Cafe Vivo was the only feature of Arcadia that we took a positive dislike to. We thought it was small & pokey, uncomfortable, and generally unattractive.

What have they done with that space?

Didn't realise Aurora wasn't child free. Never seen anyone of child bearing age onboard her! :D

Plenty of them young un's on P&O. All the oldies are now on Princess. LOL !

I hear the nightclubs are coming out of the Princess ships, replacing them with aged care wards. Hee, Hee.

Re: Arcadia:

Dai: This is good news! - the Cafe Vivo was the only feature of Arcadia that we took a positive dislike to. We thought it was small & pokey, uncomfortable, and generally unattractive.

What have they done with that space?

I have not heard, however I understood that it would be staying as it is. Perhaps someone on at the moment can help.

Gan Canny

Dai

Archived