Is Maasdam's boat deck ruined with the lanai cabins???

When and How

Personally I am much more upset about those cabanas on the Lido deck. Dont think I will ever cruise on those ships. They read reviews and people are complaining that lower class passengers (IE passengers that cant afford or want such cabana) are walking through their cabana area. Excuse me please................

Well, I for one will happily sail on the Maasdam in just a few days:) I have been on ships with Lanais and see no impact:) I agree with Swiss Myst. Those people would be on a chair anyways so I see no difference.

Each to their own. smooth seas:)

The lanai cabin passengers do not sit in their chair all day long. It vexed me to walk past empty, reserved chairs on the Veendam without finding one that was available to us cheap, second class bastards that didn't shell our for a lanai cabin.

A mathematician would say that the number of deck chairs was reduced, because they don't block the new lanai doors with deck chairs. A mathematician would also say that reserving two deck chairs for each lanai cabin would reduce the number available to other cruisers. As you can see from other posters, the Maasdam is not subject to the laws of mathematics. There are always plenty of deck chairs available on the Maasdam, it is nothing like the Veendam.

A mathematician would add back in the numbers of lanai passengers would also be competing for these very same chairs if you want to compute your ratio of passengers to chairs.

Are you a "cheap bastard" because you didn't shell out for Pinnacle dinners and then you see they have empty tables? Does Pinnacle owe you a free dinner? Sounds like there is a lot to make you unhappy when you cruise HAL ships these days.

Yes, for me it is ruined. For me a upscale line has ships with plenty of open, uncrowed space for all to enjoy. When they start to rent this space out for cabanas, reserved deck chairs, and turn beautiful pools into cabins well they lost it. I find it hard to believe that HAL should be so hard up for money, from what I read here people should be willing to pay any price to go.

It's about time they converted the Neptune Lounge back into inside cabins as well! Imagine - an exclusive space reserved for those willing to pay premium for this exclusive privilege. I say board up all the cabin windows and balconies too - space hogs and view hogs. :cool:

Yes, for us it is ruined. I find it reprehensible that HAL has converted public space for private use. I'm not getting the 'logic' behind the "LP cabin passengers would have taken an equal number of deck chairs anyway" argument. .......

Spend a little more time pondering the logic. These people booking the more premium lanai cabins apparently really wanted to use LP deck chairs so they would have already been down there using them anyway. You would have been "fighting" with them anyway so there is no guarantee you would be getting a "free" deck chair after all, now is there?

It's about time they converted the Neptune Lounge back into inside cabins as well! Imagine - an exclusive space reserved for those willing to pay premium for this exclusive privilege. I say board up all the cabin windows and balconies too - space hogs and view hogs. :cool:

Over my dead body:D:);)

They can do what they wish with the Neptune lounge. It was never public space in the first place as balconys and windows in cabins can not be. When you take away public space you degrade the ship.

If they took away the private balconies, they could increase the public space and stack in more rows of deck chairs as well as another public promenade deck. Perhaps this was their intent when they tried out the lanai cabins?

Absolutely, the Lanai cabins and other changes have totally ruined the ships. Those of you who don't like them, please stay away from these ships, and encourage your friends to stay away also. Then maybe I'll get a lower price to cruise on these beautiful vessels.

My mother taught me to be careful what I asked for because I just may receive it.

When enough of us stay away from the "S" class ships, Holland America will sell off these ships. You can then cruise to your hearts delight but you will not be sailing under the Holland America flag.

Having spent 45 days on the Maasdam recently with lanai cabins, I can say that there are plenty of deck chairs and I never saw more than 2/3 of the available ones being used.

Apparently some people are willing to trash the Maasdam layout without having sailed it to see if they are reporting the truth or not. Unfortunate.

I was concerned before going on the Maasdam and left with absolutely no concerns. Those who forgo sailing on this wonderful ship are the ones losing out.

It seems that the perception of "ruined" or not comes down to how much trouble someone has getting a choice seat on the Lower Promenade. If you don't try to sit there, or find a seat without any trouble, then you have no reason to see the Lanai seats as having "ruined" anything.

On the other hand, if you have trouble getting a seat out there, then you have every right to a different opinion.

I don't expect those who have a veranda cabin are competing for those seats.

Please explain to me what a Lanai cabin is?????? Sorry for the ignorance...

It's technically an 'ocean view room" with doors that open to the Promenade deck. There are two chairs there for you to use to enjoy the Promenade deck. Sort of like having a balcony - but instead you are on the deck. Some people really like them - more space - I'll take a balcony any day - more private:D

Please explain to me what a Lanai cabin is?????? Sorry for the ignorance...

Here is Joanie's website for the 6th deck of the Veendam (the other "S" Class HAL ship with Lanai cabins), the Lower Promenade deck where both outside cabins (what Lanai cabins used to be) and the newer Lanai cabins are located. Good pictures and explanations on the site.

http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Veendam/Deck-6.html

I have not been in a Lanai cabin but have been on the Maasdam since they put them in. Our cruise had so little sea time (only one "sea day") and that time was generally kind of foggy and chilly so that the decks chairs were pretty scarcely used.

These people booking the more premium lanai cabins apparently really wanted to use LP deck chairs so they would have already been down there using them anyway.

Apparent to you perhaps. The people who booked the Lanai cabins are just as likely to be at an activity, eating, or in a chair by the pool while their reserved chair goes unused.

Yes, for us it is ruined. I find it reprehensible that HAL has converted public space for private use.

I see no reason to book a smaller cabin, with less storage and with a bathtub we do NOT want. It is far easier to book a different ship.

It is turning us away from HAL. We now have 3 cruises booked in the next year. Only one is with HAL. It happens to be on a ship with Lanai cabins. I really tried to find an alternate ship/cruise line for that itinerary. Sadly I wasn't able to find a viable alternative. :mad: Are we looking forward to the itinerary? Yes. Are we looking forward to sailing on that mutilated ship? NO. Actually, I'm dreading sailing on her.

Whenever I suggest a HAL cruise to DH, inevitably his first question is 'Does the ship have Lanai cabins?'. He hasn't quite caught on that I've already screened out those cruises.

Why don't those who want a lounge chair on this deck just book a lanai. That is what we are doing.

We had one booked on Maasdam half VOV last year but were lucky to upgrade to a Veranda suite at no cost.

HAL does not care that you are leaving. Every ship/trip we have been on for the last 6 years has been sold out months before departure.

"mutillated ship"? It is also ridiculous that anyone would book a ship/vacation when they are "dreading sailing on her".

All cruise lines lose customers and gain customers every day of the week. If one person doesn't buy the cabin, someone else will.

Threats of "That's It.... I'm leaving" really don't disturb any of them other than their pride in their work and their eagerness to provide the best possible experience.

None of us guests are irreplaceable. ;) :D

All cruise lines lose customers and gain customers every day of the week. If one person doesn't buy the cabin, someone else will.

Threats of "That's It.... I'm leaving" really don't disturb any of them other than their pride in their work and their eagerness to provide the best possible experience.

None of us guests are irreplaceable. ;) :D

Judy, this is similar to your booking a balcony/verandah with the likelihood that you will be situated between two smoking neighbours! :D;):)

Why don't those who want a lounge chair on this deck just book a lanai. That is what we are doing.

Did you not read the post you quoted? :

I see no reason to book a smaller cabin, with less storage and with a bathtub we do NOT want.

Some of us do want to sit on deck, but we don't want to have to give up the shower, or take a smaller cabin. Is that really so hard to understand?

What I have said is I will not book a ship which has a lanai cabin. That still leaves me 13 other ships from which to choose.

Twelve, but who's counting. ;) Besides the Veendam and Maasdam, the Rotterdam was also converted to Lanai cabins.

Just to keep the line-up straight here. Wouldn't want you to book a ship with a Lanai by mistake.

I don't recall ever saying I was leaving Holland America, neither do I make threats. What I have said is I will not book a ship which has a lanai cabin. That still leaves me 13 other ships from which to choose.

If you are referring to my post, I didn't have any particular person in mind and certainly never made reference to anyone.... not you, Patrick, not anyone.

I wrote that as a generic message that applies to all of us.

If any of us don't book, no one at any cruise line is going to stay up all night. They will sell the cabin to someone else.

Absolutely, the Lanai cabins and other changes have totally ruined the ships. Those of you who don't like them, please stay away from these ships, and encourage your friends to stay away also. Then maybe I'll get a lower price to cruise on these beautiful vessels.

I agree totally! I look forward to cruising on the Maasdam as much as I can! So to all the posters who think its ruined go on another cruiseline!

In my opinion, the issue for me is this: will my enjoyment of a cruise be reduced if I am on a vessel with Lanai cabins and I am unable to find a deck chair on Lower Promenade Deck that gives me an unobstructed view of the sea? If my answer to this question is yes, then I will choose a vessel that does not have this type of cabin or, if I choose to book such a ship, I will sail understanding that I may have to find alternative seating that gives me a view of the ocean, i.e. on the upper aft decks.

In my opinion, what was done to the Rotterdam, Maasdam, and the Veendam, adding both the Lanai cabins and the cabins at the stern, was unwise. But, neither the CEO of Carnival Corporation nor HAL's CEO asked for my opinion. They are allowing me, as a potential customer, to decide if the product that they are offering is one I wish to purchase.

Archived