So Chair Hogs dont have rights?

JPTexan82

LMAO... this is just like the lady who thought it was okay to leave her chair by the pool at 1 to go get a facial and expected it to be there upon her return.

If you are going to get a massage - YOU'RE NOT USING YOUR CHAIR, now are you? There are people who want to sunbathe while you're getting a massage. Thousands, in fact. What makes you think you have the rights to public property at your whim just because you put your stuff there? Would you leave all your stuff on a bench at the mall, go get a pretzel, shop for an hour or so, and expect it to be there saving "your" spot when your feet got tired?

Use it or lose it. Wow... can't believe this is so hard for people to grasp. And forgive me if I sound annoyed, but it's because I am. It's hard to show much courtesy to people who have no courtesy for others.

So what im finding out here, if you leave your stuff on a chair and lets say you did it at 8am, you leave at 10 am to go get a massage you dont have a right to come back to the chair you were at for two hours already?

It is fair if you are back in 30 minutes, maybe even 45 but longer is just being a chair hog. You sat for 2 hrs, enjoyed the sun and then you leave time to move on!! Very simple!:cool:

I just can't understand why people (Chair Hogs) expect that they should be able to take up chairs they aren't using - I mean the rest of us paid money to be on the same ship they are on (I don't care if I paid more or less than the chair hog, but I did pay to be on that ship) and should be able to use the chairs as much as the next person.

Now that I know that it isn't a horrible to thing to move items after 30+ minutes of a person not being there - I believe I will do so on my cruise in June.

So let me ask - what do you folks typically DO with the stuff you move? Do you take it to the towel station, do you move it to another unoccupied chair, do you place it on the ground? Since I'm only interested in the chairs on the serenity deck, I am curious. And do you believe that these same rules apply to the double seats and the hammocks?

So what im finding about the issue is, every keeps syaing 30 mins. How many of you all are going to stand and watch when someone leave and waits "30 Mins" with a stop watch and then move their stuff. What if they are in a hottub or the pool 50 feet away?

I just can't understand why people (Chair Hogs) expect that they should be able to take up chairs they aren't using - I mean the rest of us paid money to be on the same ship they are on (I don't care if I paid more or less than the chair hog, but I did pay to be on that ship) and should be able to use the chairs as much as the next person.

Now that I know that it isn't a horrible to thing to move items after 30+ minutes of a person not being there - I believe I will do so on my cruise in June.

So let me ask - what do you folks typically DO with the stuff you move? Do you take it to the towel station, do you move it to another unoccupied chair, do you place it on the ground? Since I'm only interested in the chairs on the serenity deck, I am curious. And do you believe that these same rules apply to the double seats and the hammocks?

ESPECIALLY the double seats and hammocks, though as most would tell you, hogging rarely happens in these because they're in such high demand. There's always people in them, and if for some reason there weren't, their stuff would be moved. If you value your belongings, don't attempt to chair hog a clam shell or hammock.

So what im finding about the issue is, every keeps syaing 30 mins. How many of you all are going to stand and watch when someone leave and waits "30 Mins" with a stop watch and then move their stuff. What if they are in a hottub or the pool 50 feet away?

If you're watching when someone leaves, then you know they're not in the hot tub. :rolleyes:

I personally wouldn't bother with a stop watch, but how is it more ridiculous to try to actually sit in a chair that you want than to get up at the buttcrack of dawn to save a chair that you're not sitting in?

Then the person would be able to see you and say, "hey that's my chair. "

And yes, I have been known to check my watch for how long the chair has been reserved by an object.

Not saying that im For or Against Chair Hogs. I have to be real careful what I say or the Admins will be upset.

But how is it right for someone to touch someone elses stuff and move it, because in the real world that is a form of assult. But in good faith is it right to move their stuff?

Apparently you are very much FOR chair hogs as you are one yourself.

So what im finding out here, if you leave your stuff on a chair and lets say you did it at 8am, you leave at 10 am to go get a massage you dont have a right to come back to the chair you were at for two hours already?

Correct - you used it and got up. If you want that same seat for your return, you should place another adult in the seat to sit their rear end there till you return.

A lot of people will hang around the area and give a couple of chairs the chance to return at a timely manner. I personally wear a watch wherever I'm at (it's waterproof so that I can have it in the pools and hot tubs).

But what you're really "finding" is that people aren't sympathetic to chair hogs and are actually doing something about it since Carnival's staff won't.

I see it this way.....If somebody left their things on a chair and didn't come back for over 30 minutes I would assume they had gone on to do other things on the ship and forgotten their things. If I scooped it up and gave it to a crew member as lost and found, I think that was me being courteous :) And Oh Look! Now there's a chair open and waiting for me ;)

I'm taking you to the pool with me, i need a chair:)

Most people aren't in the pool or hot tub for more than 30 minutes at a time. And if you are, you shouldn't have your stuff sitting on the chairs...if you aren't USING it, you DON'T NEED IT!

I will sit on the edge of the pool watching the kids in the pool and I do look at the time and I look at a few of the saved chairs. I usually wait about 40 minutes, then they are fair game.

Just curious, JP, but since I'm a huge advocate of the Golden Rule, I have to ask how YOU would feel if there was nowhere to sit that didn't have a towel on a seat and you knew it wasn't being used for an hour or so because someone was off getting a massage? It honestly wouldn't tick you off?

Sometimes in the newspaper, I'll read about someone leaving their purse or wallet on the table at a fast food restaurant to save their place as they go to the bathroom, then are "surprised" to see their stuff stolen.

If a chair hogs stuffed is only moved, then concider them lucky.

After 20 years of cruising, my #1 pet peeve has always been with "CHAIR HOGS." Just back from the Liberty and the "HOGS" were out in full force every chance they got. But, I found most gratifying, a new and growing response to these selfish people, a more aggressive removal of frivolous items left to secure these seats by people waiting to sit. Thirty minuets of vacancy equals available chair, simple. A "Chair Hogs" stuff has NO RIGHT to sit while someone goes without. I have removed items several times over the years, after the 30 minuets, and the LEAST amount of time for a returning "HOG" was just under 2 hours. Keep up the good work my fellow cruisers, take back the chairs!! And enjoy the show on their return, if you are still there!

Considering your massage lasts well over 30 minutes, then yes, you have no rights. You are a chair hog.

I disagree,, it could take 30 minutes to get lunch if i hit it whenever one else is going. Im not going to get lunch only to jam it down in 10 minutes so someone does not take the chair. i will relax for lunch and then go back

also if im not there when you decide to look for a chair doesnt mean my stuff has been on there since 6am and i have not been present.

.....just sayin.....................

Just curious, JP, but since I'm a huge advocate of the Golden Rule, I have to ask how YOU would feel if there was nowhere to sit that didn't have a towel on a seat and you knew it wasn't being used for an hour or so because someone was off getting a massage? It honestly wouldn't tick you off?

Well I would suck it up and move on. Its like General Admission to a concert first come first serve.

Then the person would be able to see you and say, "hey that's my chair. "

And yes, I have been known to check my watch for how long the chair has been reserved by an object.

So you have a chair to sit in to keep an eye on the time a chair is left unoccupied or are you just standing around "lurking"?

What a waste of your vacation time.

it could take 30 minutes to get lunch if i hit it whenever one else is going. Im not going to get lunch only to jam it down in 10 minutes so someone does not take the chair. i will relax for lunch and then go back
And find your butt a new chair! :p

Friend, you're fighting a losing battle. The only way you can save a chair for yourself, given the "gone to the hottub or pool" scenario, is to have a family member parked in the chair , or the one next to it, and let others know you will be back soon, and by "soon", within 30-35 minutes. Sorry to burst your bubble, but paying for a cabin on a cruise ship does not give you or anyone else the right to reserve a chair for the day. There aren't enough chairs for everyone to do that. So why not put to use that old saying "Share and share alike?" Or, my favorite, "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". You'll make far fewer enemies that way.

Sometimes in the newspaper, I'll read about someone leaving their purse or wallet on the table at a fast food restaurant to save their place as they go to the bathroom, then are "surprised" to see their stuff stolen.

If a chair hogs stuffed is only moved, then concider them lucky.

Try leaving a pair of sunglasses or a camera on a park bench, in a taxi,at the airport ( while running to the coffee shop for 30 minutes), anywhere in Rome,at an outdoor table in the French Quarter,in a chair at a concert, etc... and see what happens. Don't think this should be any different on a cruise ship.If you place your belongings in a chair while using the hot tub or pool or slide and can keep an eye on those belongings- great. But when you just plop them down and walk off-you should be happy you can find them in lost and found or with an attendant.

Crusing is just like any other vacation- you just can't lay things down in Disney World or Universal Studios for 30 minutes to ride a ride and expect it all to be sitting there for you when you get back.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

I think the big issue here is how do you know how long the person has been gone for and what constitutes a "chair hog". DH and I usually travel alone but have been on cruises with our kids too. If I come to the pool with my daughter and son and we take three chairs, then my son goes to swim in the pool (probably longer than 30 minutes) then the chair that his towel is on, is that chair being "hogged"? Or if we go to get something to eat and my teen daughter stays back to watch the stuff, and the line at the food area is especially long that day and we get back 31 minutes later, does someone have the right to just intimidate my child and remove the stuff from the other two chairs?

I always thought that "chair hoggers" were large groups of people (as there are many groups that travel together on these boards), who assign one or two people in their group to go down to the poolside early in the morning and "reserve" chairs with their own towels and sometimes other personal items and wait for the rest of their group. Not couples on their honeymoon or something. Am I wrong?:confused:

So you have a chair to sit in to keep an eye on the time a chair is left unoccupied or are you just standing around "lurking"?

What a waste of your vacation time.

Not at all...sometimes we have to sit on the tile on the pool or we will have 2 or 3 of us on one chair and see if another one next to us opens up...and sometimes people are sitting in the chairs under the overhang that are used for eating because there are no chairs to lay in...there are alot of factors...

A waste of my vacation time would be not being able to sit and relax by the pool so everyones towels and book and shoes can get a tan.:rolleyes:

Archived