So Chair Hogs dont have rights?

JPTexan82

OK, so you agree that it's not chair hogging, however, I do believe that there are some that would say, tough luck, you are not in the chair, so I dont care that you left someone behind to watch it, I am moving your stuff. The reason I bring it up is because it has happened to me, I have had my stuff moved when I have just gotten up to go to the bathroom and get a drink, even though my son was left to watch the chair, the person just moved the stuff and intimidated my kid. I wasnt going to start a big todo over it when I got back so I just went and found another pair of chairs, but I think that some people get overzealous regarding the chair thing, on both sides. My definition of "hogging" is grabbing a whole bunch of something which you are not going to use, not putting a towel on a chair that I have every intention of returning too in a short time. The 30 minutes seems arbitrary to me.

That person sounds like a chair hog who lost his stuff and was trying to save face by intimidating a kid. Unfortunately there are unreasonable people out there. The 30 minutes may sound arbitrary but it is what was set by the cruise line (and if you think about it 30 minutes is more than enough time to go and do something in the vicinity of the pool deck and then return to your chair).

It is so unfortunate how inconsiderate some people are. If people would quit getting up at the crack of dawn and saving half the deck chairs and leaving for 2 to 4 hours, the watching of chairs for 30 minutes would not be a problem and people who want to go get a drink, go to the bathroom, etc. would not have to worry about not having a place to sit.

I surely do not want to move someone's things, but I really want to sit on a lounge chair too. So I will be moving things if need be.

I do think some people are overzealous with this though and watching til the clock strikes 30 minutes and one second seems odd.

I think if everyone who was leaving for lunch would just pack up and go and come back there would probably be chairs for everyone as well, but that's just not gonna happen.

Why do people have to sit right next to the pool anyway? Especially if you dont have kids to watch. In 12 cruises I have gotten chairs poolside probably a total of 3 times and that was always later in the day. All the rest of time, we never had a problem finding chairs in other areas of the ship. Plenty of sun, no screaming kids, music not too loud and my stuff doesnt get wet. If my kids wanted to swim, one of us would go sit on the pool ledge to watch them. I can honestly say that I haven't really had any problems finding chairs on a cruise ship. People need to chill out, you are on vacation dude:)

Ehh, to each his own.

I enjoy my vacation, my way looking out at the sea, breathing in the salt air, while sitting in "your" lounge chair. And you can enjoy your's your way: complaining your orange, towel or flip flop was unable to reserve your seat.

Either way, I hope your massage, facial or lunch was relaxing, 'cause you'll be standing when you get back! :D

You are missing the point I do not sit around the pool so chair hogs are of no importance to me.

You however must spend your time watching a clock to see if someone left a chair for over 30 minutes:)

I am not saying that I fault you for keeping your butt parked in a chair all day long.

We never did. Typically we go to the aft pool around 10 in the morning and score a pair of chairs. When we get hungry, one or the other of us brings back food. By 2 we have had enough, and leave.

I hardly think that is "hogging". :rolleyes:

If the ships had cubicles or some other place to leave your things wwhile in the pool I would agree with you. However, they don't. The only plance to leave your things when you get up to get in the pool is in your chair. For some reason none of the cruise lines have tried putting some bins within sight of the pool for people to place things when their primary purpose is to use the pool.

Of course you also get an interesting sense of entitlement of those that move things. Often they do not want 30 minutes for all of the claims being made here. I have had to yell at people numerous times who have tried to move my things, while I have been in the pool. Often in as little as within the first five minutes of getting into the pool.

The battle of holier than though is interesting to watch between the group that feels that they are entitled to save chairs and the group that feels that they are entitled to play judge, jury and executioner. In my opinion both are playing a game of entitlement. Oppostie views, but really the same game.

Perhaps one chair, yes, but several chairs, no...

Most people do not use the chair to hold their stuff while they are in the pool...I have been on cruises where there were ATLEAST 40-50 chairs around the pools with things in them and less than 10 people in the pools and hottubs...A CHAIRHOG is someone who puts there stuff in a chair or multiple chairs for when and if they are ready to use it...

I can't answer the question about people that do it prior to 30 minutes, that I would never do...and that is why there is a clock right next to the pool...

I think they should have bins but if they put them around the pool that will take up space which will mean less room for chairs.

[quote=lizjoemom;32630913]

I always thought that "chair hoggers" were large groups of people (as there are many groups that travel together on these boards), who assign one or two people in their group to go down to the poolside early in the morning and "reserve" chairs with their own towels and sometimes other personal items and wait for the rest of their group. Not couples on their honeymoon or something. Am I wrong?:confused:

I'm more concerned with these hogs and not the middle of the day hogs:D

as a Texan, i am ashamed that the OP, an apparent chair-hog, is a fellow Texan...............

First, you can not read, Im not in favor of or against Chair Hogs im just trying to find out if they have any rights.

Second, you to say that your ashamed that im a Texan, you have alot of growing up to do, thats a very shallow thing to say. But who am I to judge you "IamaTexasCruiser", since you think your better than some one else and all. But your mother must have raised you better to say something like that, or have been told that before by someone else.:eek:

First, You must can not read, Im not in favor of or against Chair Hogs im just trying to find out if they have any rights.

Second, you to say that your ashamed that im a Texan, you have alot of growing up to do, thats a very shallow thing to say. But who am I to judge you "IamaTexasCruiser", since you think your better than some one else and all. But your mother must have raised you better to say something like that, or have been told that before by someone else.:eek:

"You must can not read'? :eek: :p

I won't even get started on the rest of it. :rolleyes:

How about this... on my last cruise, I saw a lovely group of unoccupied chairs (one love seat, two singles) under an umbrella overlooking the adults-only pool. There were a couple of items left, including one magazine on the love seat. I sat on the other half of the love seat and started reading my book. About a half hour later, 3 people came and said those were their chairs. I said, well, it seems there are 3 of you and there are 4 places to sit so I'll just stay here and read quietly. They sat down and gave me the stink eye. Finally, the woman on the other side of the love seat said, "I'd really rather you left." Not wanting to cause a commotion, I got up and left without a word.

What do you think?

You gave up too easy. I have sat down before where people have a shoe on the lounger next to them and tell me it's saved. I just politely say I'll sit till they return. Nobody usually ever shows up. But if there was an extra seat, that's just bull. I am one of those that gets up at down and goes down to pick my spot out and I sit down and enjoy the peace & quiet. When my husband gets up he brings me breakfast. What more can I ask for?

You gave up too easy. I have sat down before where people have a shoe on the lounger next to them and tell me it's saved. I just politely say I'll sit till they return. Nobody usually ever shows up. But if there was an extra seat, that's just bull. I am one of those that gets up at down and goes down to pick my spot out and I sit down and enjoy the peace & quiet. When my husband gets up he brings me breakfast. What more can I ask for?

Girl, you got it. :D

Why do people have to sit right next to the pool anyway? Especially if you dont have kids to watch. In 12 cruises I have gotten chairs poolside probably a total of 3 times and that was always later in the day. All the rest of time, we never had a problem finding chairs in other areas of the ship. Plenty of sun, no screaming kids, music not too loud and my stuff doesnt get wet. If my kids wanted to swim, one of us would go sit on the pool ledge to watch them. I can honestly say that I haven't really had any problems finding chairs on a cruise ship. People need to chill out, you are on vacation dude:)

Well, we sit by the pool when our kids are with us as they are in the pool and I will not let them out of my sight even if they can touch...if kids aren't with us, I don't really care where we sit...

Archived