If St Petersburg Outlaws "GAY" will Atlantis still go?

SakeDad

She was clearly asked not to come. If she said "I stand in solidarity with the gay men of St. Petersburg, and will not perform in a city that criminalizes the sexualities of its citizens," it would hit many people in the pocketbook, and inspire her fans around the world to boycott.

Her choice seems awfully contrived and disingenuous, to me. Madonna is a master of self-promotion and commercialization, and this rings more manipulative and hollow than some of her past antics. It bugs me, as her biggest fan, that she is still so grafty and faux-committed, even as she pushes 60.

Yes, on second thought...probably shouldn't have spoken so quickly, so enthusiastically.

I think time will tell. Will this be a 20-second squib between costume changes or a full-fledged rant? And will she - unlikely, I grant you - donate her proceeds from the concert to Russian LBGT organizations and/or worldwide organizations campaigning for queer rights in Russia? And would we be having the same conversation if this were Gaga we were talking about, since she seems more honestly involved and risk-taking when it comes to queer rights?

I have to say that my Madonna fandom has radically waned over the last decade, so it's not that. And yes, I know what you mean about celebrity. But, like it or not, this is the age of social-media-as-political discourse. (See also: Kony.) And a message I'm gleaning from Russia is that queers there are prioritizing visibility for their cause. In a way, Madonna is putting the government in a bind: do they let here say whatever and seem double-standarded weak, or stop the show and make their brutality apparent?

Bottom line, if a Madonna-in-Russia queer-rights moment goes viral on YouTube, would that be more or less effective than her boycotting? And would "Do as I say, not as I do" work to make things better? Open question, I guess.

Just as MDNA (Erotica and other re-hash lite) is released, she's cashing in! But she's facing a backlash.

<http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/protests-planned-during-madonnas-russia-concerts230312>

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/protests-planned-during-madonnas-russia-concerts230312

Yes, on second thought...probably shouldn't have spoken so quickly, so enthusiastically.

I think time will tell. Will this be a 20-second squib between costume changes or a full-fledged rant? And will she - unlikely, I grant you - donate her proceeds from the concert to Russian LBGT organizations and/or worldwide organizations campaigning for queer rights in Russia? And would we be having the same conversation if this were Gaga we were talking about, since she seems more honestly involved and risk-taking when it comes to queer rights?

I have to say that my Madonna fandom has radically waned over the last decade, so it's not that. And yes, I know what you mean about celebrity. But, like it or not, this is the age of social-media-as-political discourse. (See also: Kony.) And a message I'm gleaning from Russia is that queers there are prioritizing visibility for their cause. In a way, Madonna is putting the government in a bind: do they let here say whatever and seem double-standarded weak, or stop the show and make their brutality apparent?

Bottom line, if a Madonna-in-Russia queer-rights moment goes viral on YouTube, would that be more or less effective than her boycotting? And would "Do as I say, not as I do" work to make things better? Open question, I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to St Peterburg when I lived in Moscow (which by the way is a much more Russian and authentic place to go) and, although I see your point, about not spending money and boycotting it, and denying yourself seeing somewhere you've always wanted to see.

I would say, get off the boat, go and see the city, just don't pay for anything. Don't give them your money, just see the sites. The only thing worth paying for in my eyes is the Hermitage, and, to be fair...it's a bit over-rated in my opinion

A good idea for anybody on port side, hang out a large print sign to the effect: "Not leaving ship today."

You can not say you are Gay as that seems to be against this new law. But the sign can indicate they will get port fees and only port fees.

Or is could be a sign saying you are doing the minimum of spending just I don't know how to word that.

With the government in St Petersburg Russia on the verge of outlawing EVERYTHING gay :mad: and making it punishable with prison to even say the word, will Atlantis and other GLBTQ charters cancel the Baltic cruises? Or possibly ask the participants on those cruises to boycott St Petersburg? If you were on this cruise would you spend your gay dollars in port or stay onboard? I have been to St Petersburg and loved it. But if this law passed I would not get off to spend any of my money. Which would be a real shame as she is an amazing city.

Thoughts:confused:

Just go ashore and dont act "gay". Then you wont have a problem. Act like a straight person.

• 2 weeks later...
Just go ashore and dont act "gay". Then you wont have a problem. Act like a straight person.

How does a straight person act? I've seen some come off a Carnival booze cruise, I certainly wouldn't act like that!

Travelling all the way to St. Petersburg only to stay on the balcony of your ship would be ludicrous. There is more to see there than the entire balance of the cruise. I doubt that we spent one ruble while ashore, as we were part of tours arranged by Princess. The zealots are to be despised and the locals pitied but what is to be viewed and experienced there preceds the current regime, the previous regime and on to the Tsars themselves.

We cannot equate our staunch boycott of Jamaica in the same vein regardless of the fact that there isn't that much to absorb there for there the gays are murdered with full approval of the Jamaican government. What is happening in St. Petersburg could never be equated to this atrocity.

Would you tell a black person to not act black? Or a Muslim to not bow toward Mecca while there?

A St. Petersburg court has handed down the first conviction under the new anti-gay law.

His crime was carrying a poster that, when translated, read "Homosexuality is not a perversion". He has been fine the equivalent of $170.

I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but this event sends a cold chill down my spine and would make me think long and hard before deciding to visit St. Petersburg or Moscow. Keep watching the newsfeeds, folks; I hope I'm wrong, but to me it certainly feels like the beginning of something...

My partner and I are cruising on the Emerald Princess in July with

a 2 day stopover in St Petersburg. We had knowledge of the new

law prior to making our final payment on the cruise and still chose

to go ahead with our plans with this itinerary. We're anxious to visit

this amazing city!

BTW if anyone else is on this cruise/July 17 and would like to meet

with us and join us for activities feel free to reply.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
My partner and I are cruising on the Emerald Princess in July with

a 2 day stopover in St Petersburg. We had knowledge of the new

law prior to making our final payment on the cruise and still chose

to go ahead with our plans with this itinerary. We're anxious to visit

this amazing city!

BTW if anyone else is on this cruise/July 17 and would like to meet

with us and join us for activities feel free to reply.

Thanks!

Just got back from a transatlantic reposition and anxious to go back out again. I took the reposition of the Emerald last year to Copenhagen, but didn't go on the Baltic to St. Petersburg, although I had been there on an independent tour previously.

You won't regret your decision. I haven't looked at bookings yet, but if I see a deal, might join you.

I hope things go well for you. What you're doing is far removed from disembarking from a ship and going sightseeing. Be careful out there.

Wanted to update on this: Did my thing and met the most wonderful people. Never experienced anything uncomfortable but I was also not broadcasting. Met a few people who I might think my play on our team but it is difficult to make assumptions in a country that is so different from North America. Let alone such discussions could be dangerous and may have had a negative impact to the mission I was on and the organization that sent me.

I am happy to be back in a country where people find someone of my age not married (to a woman) without a batch of children not all that odd...:)

Just got back from a transatlantic reposition and anxious to go back out again. I took the reposition of the Emerald last year to Copenhagen, but didn't go on the Baltic to St. Petersburg, although I had been there on an independent tour previously.

You won't regret your decision. I haven't looked at bookings yet, but if I see a deal, might join you.

Right now there are great deals with Holland America on the Eurodam

this summer on their Baltic itineraries. Princess has also just recently

slashed their rates on their similar itineraries for the summer as well.

Wish I had waited a bit longer before booking. I"ll know for next time.

Archived