Which cruise line is more upscale - AMA, Avalon or Viking?

Janiekins

I'm with newlondon here. The Tauck Dinner and Concert in the palace in Vienna was without a doubt THE highlight of what was a trip full of highlights. It certainly wasn't Opera but a concert of song, dance and fine music. I didn't want the Radinsky march to stop because that signaled the end of the night.

Maybe because more people take them than other cruise lines does not make them better

I take all polls with a giant box of salt ;)

As I said, I also would take poll results with a grain of salt.

But your comment of "because more people take them than other cruise lines", is not factual. Uniworld is a boutique line with far less ships and less capacity than say, Viking.

As I said, I also would take poll results with a grain of salt.

But your comment of "because more people take them than other cruise lines", is not factual. Uniworld is a boutique line with far less ships and less capacity than say, Viking.

I still says POLLS should be taken with a box of salt

:rolleyes:

YMMV

We have exchanged posts on the Sea Dream Board some years ago, I am trying to decide between AMA and Uniworld for Prague to Budapest. Tell me again why you chose AMA. Was it price, shore excursions, ports? Are you doing the before and after and staying in their hotels or doing it on your own?

We have exchanged posts on the Sea Dream Board some years ago, I am trying to decide between AMA and Uniworld for Prague to Budapest. Tell me again why you chose AMA. Was it price, shore excursions, ports? Are you doing the before and after and staying in their hotels or doing it on your own?

had the new ships,,with 2 balconies,,and asked my TA,,who specializes in "Luxury cruises" which was "best".He said AMA and checked it out on website,,old threads here on CC,,and 2 cruisers on Dec.Regent cruise,,said AMA was great...plus,,had been on Uniworld 2 times..and very nice,,but not as upscale as SeaDream,,of COURSE...so wanted to give this one a try.Leave May28 and will give review after.

Yes, I incl Prague extension...just easier and didnt want to worry about transfer to ship,,,bus ride away.Plus, want to take inc.excursions in Prague,,like to Terezin,,and would have to stay near AMA hotel to get back and forth..more expensive,,yes,,but no hassles..Did do own air.

Any other questions,,,will answer...:)

We have travelled on AMAwaterways and thought it was a very detail oriented line. Felt the same way about Unoworld and Vantage--not so with Viking. There is only one way you will be happy with your trip and that is research. Pat

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think if you had taken Viking's China trip as we just did, you would say that Viking is very detail-oriented. The trip was flawless, and believe me, it didn't all come together without a LOT of attention to detail!

I cannot compare Viking to the others, as I've only used Viking. However, after doing 4 cruises/cruise tours with them, we have not had anything less than a wonderful experience, with the China trip taking the cake. When locks on the Danube broke and the ship couldn't get to Budapest, they treated us royally and got us where we needed to go. The food was generally quite good, though not as good as the food on Oceania, our favorite ocean cruise line, and the service was, too. We've been on their nicer ships and their oldest, smallest ship (which is not running this year - going with newer ships instead) and have loved every minute. Trust me, there is not a THING wrong with Viking. That is not to say that AMA or Peter Diehlmann couldn't possibly be better (I have no clue), but we have found them to be completely adequate - well organized, good service, great itineraries, etc.

By the way, Viking's Cities of Light cruise/tour was an excellent trip. It combines fascinating Prague (and yes, a day and a half there isn't really enough) with hard-to-not-like Paris, plus the best of the beautiful Moselle, Rhine, German cities, towns, castles, and vineyards, plus interesting/pretty Luxembourg City. It's also a nice combination of hotels/ship accommodations, and large and small cities. Budapest was nice, but Prague was fantastic. I don't know if I'd recommend doing both those cities on the same trip, but if you do, I'd try for Budapest first, saving the best for last when you're a bit tired but at least over your jetlag!

Personally, I would select an itinerary that works for you and not worry so much whether the ship is Uniworld, Viking, AMA, etc. (By the way, LHT28 from Canada and my neighbor days@sea from Washington DC - I take polls with a box of salt, too!)

roothy, we will travel with Viking in China, mainly because of the length of time on the river and a very good voucher from Viking to soothe us after a not so stellar trip in Russia. Our other trips were on the Elbe our first and very good trip with Viking. Our next on the sky from Antwerp-Basel also not good. Of our 15 river cruises, these were the worst. I would never try to align China with European river cruises. Also think Russian cruises are in a class by themselves. That said when we return to a river in Europe, it will not be with Viking. These are personal observations. We are also Oceanis travellers, prefer the R-class ships to the new Marina class and would never think of Viking on a par with O. It is good to have many opinions, hate these magazine rankings and there are lines out there for many tastes. Pat

roothy, we will travel with Viking in China, mainly because of the length of time on the river and a very good voucher from Viking to soothe us after a not so stellar trip in Russia. Our other trips were on the Elbe our first and very good trip with Viking. Our next on the sky from Antwerp-Basel also not good. Of our 15 river cruises, these were the worst. I would never try to align China with European river cruises. Also think Russian cruises are in a class by themselves. That said when we return to a river in Europe, it will not be with Viking. These are personal observations. We are also Oceanis travellers, prefer the R-class ships to the new Marina class and would never think of Viking on a par with O. It is good to have many opinions, hate these magazine rankings and there are lines out there for many tastes. Pat

I agree with you that Viking is not on a par with Oceania! As to Marina, we just went on it, and while I didn't think I'd like it due to size, I did! Gotta love 2 extra restaurants! Most of the complaints I heard had more to do with rough seas than size of the ship. But I digress...

I also agree that optional excursions, as you stated in a post before, are truly optional. We seldom do them, preferring to use the time to wander on our own or just relax after a full day of sightseeing.

As to Viking, I'm a bit mystified, as we love them and have used them now for at least 8 years, with our most recent trip last year. However, I have not been on the other lines, so what do I know? All I know is that unless the price of AMA comes down or they offer me an itinerary that looks better than Viking's, I might "jump ship."

You'll love China. Just be forewarned that you'll have little free time to wander - Viking pretty much plans your day, holds your hand the whole time, and leaves little time on your own once they meet you at the airport (if you use their air). It's quite a bit different from their European trips. However, that may be a good thing, as it's a lot harder to DIY there than in Europe due to language barriers, traffic, and not as efficient/understandable public transportation. Also, don't be disappointed if the Yangtze is not what you expect - it's not nearly as scenic as European rivers, and the docks are primitive! The stops you'll make are what matter.

Thank you for your suggestions so far.

The highlights of my trip would be to see Prague, Vienna and Budapest.

So far AMA Waterways seems to offer the best itinerary. We would stay 3 nights in Prague in a hotel than cruise stopping in Vienna and other destinations and ending in Budapest.

Has anyone travelled with AMA? Do you know of any other cruise lines who offer this itinerary for 2013?

Thank you so much for your help.

Janiekins...we did Prague to Budapest last August (2011) with Ama on the Amalyra....It was a wonderful trip. The ship is immaculate, the food was wonderful, the excursions were great, and we met many nice folks from all over as well. We had such a wonderful experience that we just booked a river cruise to the south of France with AMA...for this July....

We booked pretty close to sailing...less than 2 months....and we had some points, so we opted to stay at the Marriott which was across the street from where the other Pre-cruise folks were staying with the 'group'. We got our own transportation from the airport...but I had read that you need to investigate and not just take any cab...so I had done my research on trip advisor and found a reliable service...When we arrived, we went across the street to the hotel to meet the AMA guides who have a desk in the lobby....and let them know we were in Prague...

We participated in the city tour and the evening folklore show...which we paid for separately but were allowed to join the group.....they were very accommodating and friendly.... even though we weren't staying at 'their' hotel....

Anyway...can't wait for our next AMA trip.

Enjoy!

I am ... I believe that every cruise line has their good and bad points. What I think is wonderful someone else won't like. We look at itineraries first and then figure out what we want.

Yes, we have only cruised with Avalon but we love the company. Would we be as happy with any of the other lines? I am sure we would. We were lucky to be able to take advantage of several specials and our cruise is reasonably priced (well, we did select a suite this time).

We have walked through many of the other line's ships when we are hooked up at the dock and each ship has its own charms. We did go through one ship that allowed smoking and were glad to get through it as fast as we could.

When I was in the workforce I was definitely a Type A personality and I still am in some ways but I have learned to relax and enjoy whatever our trip may bring. So, my only advice is to relax and enjoy whatever trip you book and don't look at lines as 'upscale' ...

Oh well, off my soapbox now.

We have done Avalon, Uniworld [twice], Viking, Peter Diehlman [now out of business], Nile Crocodile, and a Yang-tze cruise through Gate 1. I agree with another poster that the cruise director can make or break the trip in this format. I loved Peter Diehlman and was very happy with Avalon - both had great cruise directors and excellent food. Viking was very good, but the cruise director was abysmal [a slovenly egomaniac who was rather rude - not my usual experience with people in that position]. I never received an acknowledgement from Viking about my concerns. Both Uniworld trips were OK, but nothing special. The Russian river trip we did with them was really a disappointment, but that was in the days when every line had basically the same ship and probably the same awful food. I would like to go on the Duoro, but would be hesitant about having to go with Uniworld again; they seem to have the only game in town. I also want to do the Vietnam/Cambodia cruise, and would definitely consider going with Viking for that and hope for a good cruise director. I also agree a lot depends on your fellow travelers. And, the weather.

• 11 months later...
I agree with you that Viking is not on a par with Oceania! As to Marina, we just went on it, and while I didn't think I'd like it due to size, I did! Gotta love 2 extra restaurants! Most of the complaints I heard had more to do with rough seas than size of the ship. But I digress...

I also agree that optional excursions, as you stated in a post before, are truly optional. We seldom do them, preferring to use the time to wander on our own or just relax after a full day of sightseeing.

As to Viking, I'm a bit mystified, as we love them and have used them now for at least 8 years, with our most recent trip last year. However, I have not been on the other lines, so what do I know? All I know is that unless the price of AMA comes down or they offer me an itinerary that looks better than Viking's, I might "jump ship."

You'll love China. Just be forewarned that you'll have little free time to wander - Viking pretty much plans your day, holds your hand the whole time, and leaves little time on your own once they meet you at the airport (if you use their air). It's quite a bit different from their European trips. However, that may be a good thing, as it's a lot harder to DIY there than in Europe due to language barriers, traffic, and not as efficient/understandable public transportation. Also, don't be disappointed if the Yangtze is not what you expect - it's not nearly as scenic as European rivers, and the docks are primitive! The stops you'll make are what matter.

Just booked china and Yangtze River on uniworld. Wondering if river will be a disappointment. It's 3 days. We go in October. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thx!!!

My email is luv2cruz41@aol.com

They were just voted the #1 and #3 out of all cruise ships (Not just river), in the world. They are truly unique ships and staterooms, nothing cookie cutter.

I'm not sure where you saw this but I just looked at the Conde Nast website www.cntraveler.com/cruises/polls/2013/top-100-cruise-ships-in-the-world#river-cruise-ships and it shows GCT having the top four and six out of the top seven river ships with Uniworld showing as number seven. As you said...this must be taken with a grain of salt. GCT is my line of choice but it does not compare to AMA, Scenic, Viking and Uniworld with their new ships. The best thing GCT has going for it are their prices. This surprises me because I always pictured Conde Nast as an high end travel magazine.

I'm not sure where you saw this but I just looked at the Conde Nast website www.cntraveler.com/cruises/polls/2013/top-100-cruise-ships-in-the-world#river-cruise-ships and it shows GCT having the top four and six out of the top seven river ships with Uniworld showing as number seven. As you said...this must be taken with a grain of salt. GCT is my line of choice but it does not compare to AMA, Scenic, Viking and Uniworld with their new ships. The best thing GCT has going for it are their prices. This surprises me because I always pictured Conde Nast as an high end travel magazine.

This thread is more than a year old! Must have been last years poll;)

My TA says one of the things to look for is the age of the ship; he advises booking on ships younger than '09 as there will be less chance for problems in equipment and the furnishings/decor will be fresher.

I always think that itinerary is the 1st thing to look at (after age of ship) but then again we river cruise to see the towns and the "cruise experience" would be secondary.

Archived