Caribbean Princess delayed!

2theship

I'm the OP and since I'm using ship wifi I haven't read all of the posts. In case you haven't heard, we're headed back to San Juan where we will stay until disembarkation Sunday. We're getting a full refund plus a credit towards a future cruise. Most people are satisfied with the compensation but there are some grumblers. If I hear how this will impact next week, I'll let you know.

Ok. So people keep talking about choices........I must be missing something cause I feel like I have no choices as it is all out of my control. What choices do I have? I am also looking for the cry button

do you have insurance? ok yes I have to put some money out up front to change my plans but it will come back in less than 15 days with my insurance, If Princess doesnt let me know in 24 hrs that we are sailing, i will book a cabin on another ship out of san juan OR change my air ticket ( I paid almost $600 pp for air) go to Florida and get on anothr sailing Or get on the Adventure or Serenade sailing out of SJU this weekend.....plan B still looks good :) I always get my insurance on my own with the cancel anytime/reason option...its worth it!

This has to be especially tough on those who saved up for a long time and used their limited vacation time. We both still work full time and understand how upsetting it would be. Employers don't care if you have a good time - they just see it as PTO :( I hope it doesn't turn off the newer cruisers!

We're just glad everyone is safe. That is what really matters when you look at the big picture...and other recent incidents.

What happens to people without insurance?

They are out of luck but have the money for the insurance premium in their pocket. Been there done that. Excellent lesson, the light came on, never again.

Theo

We have sailed Princess over 25 times.

Whe issues arises, Princess has been in my opinion, very fair.

In Feb. when they had to cancel a cruise because of Noro, they refunded the full cruise fare, offer to pay change of air fares for those who did not book thru Princess, or put them up in a hotel for the remainder of the week. Also they gave all passenger a 25% off thier next cruise.

Now for those who have a future cruise, I would contact your T/A ASAP

Sam

Hi All

So Pincess is giving a full refund,

Future cruise Credit,

So folks onboard have had a free cruise not the one they wanted, but they have not gown without water or food etc.

If future cruises are cancelled I feel very sorry for those who have waited for months to get their dream cruise, we book often a year and half ahead, and to get to within days of your cruise and have it taken away is not nice.

For those who have spent thousands on flights and did not take out insurance, why did you do this, just think of the list of things that can go wrong, bad weather stopping your flights, break down of planes, never mind ship issues.

So what can they do, may be fly and take a land holiday OK will cost more but at least you will not lose all your money.

yours Shogun

Insurance is offered for a reason and those of us who purchase it do so for reasons just like this ( or many others) If you drive without insurance and you wreck your car who should pay for that? I have always figured that the couple of hundred dollars to insure my trip is just part of the cost of the cruise

If you are with AA and using points they allow you to change your flight with no penalty - I have done it - but saying that you also paid a portion so I am not sure - call your airline and find out, that is your best bet.

Keeping fingers crossed that you won't be cancelled, if you are go to San Juan anyway and enjoy whatever you can do there, still a holiday away from home.

If Princess cancels the cruise you will get a refund. Since your air to SJU is already booked you can switch to one of the other cruises leaving SJU this weekend. You could also spend the week in Puerto Rico which is a great place once you get out of San Juan. You could also catch a realatively inexpensive flight to St. Thomas and spend the week there.

You have choices and its not as bad as it sounds. Worst case if the cruise cancels and you just want to stay home most airlines let you cancel your trip for a $150 fee. The reminder is held as an ecredit for your next flgiht.

In this case all is not lost because you didn't take travel insurance.

Just got to make lemonaide out of the lemons.;)

Am I missing something here? Why would you think that the cruise would be cancelled a week from the trip? I am going on one that leaves next Saturday and the thought hasn't even crossed my mind. Is there something I should know?

Am I missing something here? Why would you think that the cruise would be cancelled a week from the trip? I am going on one that leaves next Saturday and the thought hasn't even crossed my mind. Is there something I should know?

Read the thread about the Caribbean Princess....

The offer came in overnight, in addition to the full refund, they are offering 25% of the fare you paid for this cruise, off any future cruise on princess booked by end of 2013, and can be combined with any other offers and discounts. They will not be making alternate travel arrangements however, as they have given the option to remain on board in San Juan for the remainder of the time.

They are allowing people to disembark and process through CBP today (wednesday) saturday, and then as planned on sunday.

The CB is heading back to San Juan to offload its passengers. It looks like the passengers will be reimbursed and the ship sent to drydock to repair a propeller issue. This is coming from a staff member on the CB. One of the folks from our Roll Call has been in contact with her husband who works on the CB and she has indicated that it is turning around for San Juan to repair the issue in dry dock. I wish the best for all the passengers right now.

I can't believe it..they are giving them their money back..surely PCL didn't plan for this to happen and those pax did get a 2/3 day cruise..they should be happy with that...

You can't blame PCL..but those pax will think that they are entitled to a refund...sheesh...the ideas some pax have about their worth...at least they weren't at work!!!

in case anyone doesn't get it...I am joking......of course they should get a refund..of all costs..airfare..etc...and most likely a steep discount on their next cruise.....

i am to sail on CB this coming SUnday.If thecruise is cancelled, would i be entitled to a compensation from PRincess for my flight?. I had exchanged 80000 points aeroplan plus $300.00 for a flight for two from Montreal to San Juan. HOw would i get my points and $300 back?

we are nervous. will also loose 200 dollars for dog babysitting

here is a thought...why not just go to PR and spend the week there....and use the refund from the cruise to pay for it...even though it is the height of spring break...I would bet that there are still rooms available...get on it...vacation is saved..:D

if our cruise is cancelled next week on the cARRIBEAN pRINCESS, woul;d this insurance cover the cost of the flights? in the documentation, there is nothing about that

anyone knows?

Princess insurance only covers flights booked by Princess. However, you booked most of your flight using points and that is not covered by any travel insurance policy.

Princess does list this in their policy, page 1, right hand column under the bold heading "Trip Cancellation". Here:

http://www.princess.com/learn/answer/pdf/Princess_Vacation_Protection.pdf

Again, this is what insurance is for. I've typically don't purchase such insurance because I believe that if there is a delay in return home, it simply extends my vacation.

Traveling from Toronto to the ports can be dicey in February when I typically go, but it's a chance you take. A buddy of mine and his family are on the CB now. I think PCL has done all they can and then some for the pax. Refund, 25% off next, and being able to stay on board and take advantage of all the amenities is fantastic. The only thing that would make it better would be to have it OPEN BAR, which would never happen....

We came off the Adventure of the Seas on Feb 27 and saw the CB behind us...I believe that from today thru to Sunday on a floating hotel is a nice way to spend the remainder of the vacation! Roam around Old San Juan, take in the sights and accept what PCL has offered to compensate.

Of course, there will be pax that say THAT'S NOT ENOUGH and want more. There's always a few in the mix......

Anyway, my two cents..... ENJOY SAN JUAN people!!!

Decibel has said in other threads that he/she has the Princess insurance, which does not include independently purchased flights. But points are not considered a cost in ANY third party policy, either, so would not be insurable. Only the $300 spent on the tickets in addition to the points is insurable, plus any re-deposit fee.

Eta- I think OP used Air Canada miles, which cannot be re-deposited at this date,but can be re-booked for CA90.

We are scheduled to fly down to San Juan this Saturday morning. If they cancel our cruise we will not get the message as they only have our home phone number and cell phone coverage is dicey in PR. We booked our airfare on our own and have prepaid the Saturday night hotel. I cannot tell you how worried we are. Do we fly down anyway and hope for the best? what would you do?

in case anyone doesn't get it...I am joking......of course they should get a refund..of all costs..airfare..etc...and most likely a steep discount on their next cruise.....

I don't feel Princess is responsble for refunding their air. That is why travel insurance is available. If people chose to take the risk and not buy, lesson learned. I have purchased insurance for every cruise and luckily have never had to use it but that doesn't stop me from buying it.

Have a 24 hour hold on the Celebrity Eclipse out of Miami. Already have my air to SJU but air to MIA is less so even with change fee It comes out even. Now I hope Princess decides something before the 24 hour hold is up.

ahracer- did you book directly with Celebrity to get that 24 hr hold? I am interested in doing the same thing with RCCL

Archived