Caribbean Princess cruises on 18th and 25th canceled

DrNex

Hi, current pax on CP here (from march 11 sailing).

THIS JUST IN FROM CAPTAIN: NEXT TWO CRUISES CANCELED.

No sailing on the 18th or 25th. Current pax scheduled on B2B cruises to be flown home at Princess expense. I.e. no staying on the CP in port for those pax. Captain says all passengers need to be off ship by Sunday or Monday in some instances depending on travel arrangements Princess is able to make.

TA just received the same info. No details on compensation for non-cruise fare costs yet (airfare changes, etc)

Based on her prior experience, she believes Princess will handle air rebooks for air booked through them, cover change fees for independent air. Any sunk hotel costs will be a travel insurance issue. But again that is ONLY her opinion.

On a side note - depending on what they do, it might be kinda cool to be one of the relatively few passengers on the ship Sunday night if they are sent out Monday (If I am the EC and have a lot of food on board, that could be one heck of a dinner - that's actually a pretty good idea)

My guess is that everyone is so busy scrambling and calling Princess/TA/airlines, there isn't time to post. :eek: I really feel for you folks affected, hope you can get things refunded and worked out. I also hope you can make alternate arrangements and still enjoy your vacation time.

I don't know if this would help any one but there is a good price on

Carnival Victory

Sailing Date(s): March 25, 2012

It starts at 299.

Departs From San Juan, Puerto Rico visiting Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas >> Bridgetown, Barbados >> Castries, St. Lucia >> Basseterre, St. Kitts >> Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Princess has posted their official announcement that March 18 and 25 sailing of the Caribbean Princess is canceled. The compensation that they are offering looks very fair. For those who were to sail on these sailings I am so sorry for your disappointment but it does not look like you will be out any money.

Princess has posted an update in their News section.

News Article

3/15/2012

Caribbean Princess Update

Caribbean Princess experienced a problem with the port propulsion motor which necessitated the ship returning to San Juan yesterday to evaluate the situation. After further review by technical experts, we have confirmed the full extent of the damage to the motor. We now know the time and work required to make the repairs and we regret that we need to cancel the next two voyages, departing March 18 and March 25.

Cancelling a cruise is not a decision we take lightly, and we sincerely apologize to our affected passengers for the disappointment this causes.

Passengers booked on these sailings will receive a full refund as well as a 25% credit towards a future cruise. Those who booked their flights through Princess will receive a full refund or a future air credit based on the type of air purchased. Passengers who booked their air independently can submit their air change fees to Princess for a refund. We will also refund any transfers, pre- and post-hotel packages and government fees and taxes.

Passengers are currently being notified with these details.

The next Caribbean Princess cruise is scheduled to depart from San Juan on April 1.

Princess has posted their official announcement that March 18 and 25 sailing of the Caribbean Princess is canceled. The compensation that they are offering looks very fair. For those who were to sail on these sailings I am so sorry for your disappointment but it does not look like you will be out any money.

Where did they post it?

I just called Princess to verify, as we were scheduled to go out on Mar 25. They said they just got an email stating both dates are cancelled. We had booked air through Princess and had travel insurance through them, so everything should be refunded. They gave me the number to call to request the refund (877-846-8833).

They are giving a 25% credit for a future cruise. Not sure we will ever use it given all the problems CCL is having this year. :(

Pretty nice compensation package by Princess. At least they're not saying "Sorry, you're on your own!" to all the people who booked travel outside of them. I still feel so bad for everyone who has been looking forward to this cruise though! What a disappointment!

I'm still hoping and praying they can get it fixed in 2 weeks! We sail on April 15!

When will the official announcement come from Princess, I wonder? Probably 90% of the cruisers are not on CC and are still oblivious. :(

I'd say that the people on CC are very lucky. We find out news a lot sooner than the rest of the cruising public.

Hopefully the folks on Cruise Critic who still want to sail that week, will have the edge at booking other cruises. There are still a few of them left both from San Juan and Florida. I hope everyone is able to rearrange their schedules and find something fun to do instead of this cruise. I'm sorry though, that it came to this.:(

I am keeping my fingers crossed that two weeks is all they need to fix the problem. Trying to stay positive for my April 22 sailing.

The compensation sounds very reasonable and fair on the part of Princess.

Agree. Still, there is going to be some grumbling soon. Cant blame them at all. It may be too late to make other vacation plans for some after weeks or months of planning. I really feel for them :(

A lot of people say they will never sail with Princess again, or CCL for that matter, but these are huge mechanical machines with thousands of intricate parts. They are in motion practically non-stop for years between wet or dry docks. Sadly these things can and will happen, despite maintenance. If they were perfect they would be called GOD. Since they are not, they are called Princess, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, etc.....

I'd say that the people on CC are very lucky. We find out news a lot sooner than the rest of the cruising public.

Hopefully the folks on Cruise Critic who still want to sail that week, will have the edge at booking other cruises. There are still a few of them left both from San Juan and Florida. I hope everyone is able to rearrange their schedules and find something fun to do instead of this cruise. I'm sorry though, that it came to this.:(

I am keeping my fingers crossed that two weeks is all they need to fix the problem. Trying to stay positive for my April 22 sailing.

I agree...We are booked on the April 8th one. Keeping fingers, toes and anything else I can crossed.

Interesting that the news sources haven't picked up on this....both from the effect on passenger AND the financial impact point of view.

Perhaps they need a nudge.....

Eventually they will probably pick it up. Don't think it is fair to nudge anyone. In the great realm of things this is certainly a major inconvenience for those affected but it really was never the kind of crisis where people were in danger.

The Costa problems were different since in one people died and in another they were stranded in the middle of potentially pirate infested waters. There was real danger involved. In this situation, the ship never lost power related to commodities, was able to reach port by itself and there was no risk of life, even sickness. Lets keep things in perspective. The affected people are dealing with enough already. Lets not add kindling to the fire….:rolleyes:

It's roughly a $10M hit to their bottom line in lost revenue and probably more when you figure in costs of crew and costs to get passengers home, cost of voucher for another cruise plus of course the actual repair costs.

Maybe $10-$15M is a rounding error for Carnival....but one would think it would at least be on the wire services for stockholders.

Archived