Excursion in Belize of Roatan, which would you pick?

mom4mj

I'm hoping to book the Magic Thanksgiving 2013 cruise that goes to Belize and Roatan. My husband likes to cruise but doesn't like to spend a lot on excursions, so we usually only do one big excursion. So, would you choose Belize of Roatan to do an excursion? Our family if me, DH, and 2 boys who will be 13 and 15 by then.

Thanks for any insights!

We did Cave Tubing in Belize with http://www.cavetubing.bz. What a great day!

In Roatan, instead of an excursion, the boys did ClipNZip right at the port and I rented a Clamshell at Mahogany Bay.

If you are not going to do an excursion in Belize, do not bother getting off teh ship, there is not much going on around the port area!

Catrin

We did Cave Tubing in Belize with http://www.cavetubing.bz. What a great day!

In Roatan, instead of an excursion, the boys did ClipNZip right at the port and I rented a Clamshell at Mahogany Bay.

If you are not going to do an excursion in Belize, do not bother getting off teh ship, there is not much going on around the port area!

Catrin

Catrin, what is ClipNZip?

We're doing a 7-day Western in May on the Liberty. Belize and Roatan are two of our stops. We went to Carnival's home page and looked at the excursions offered through Carnival for these ports. We're not comfortable booking excursions on our own. It might help you to decide (as we did) what excursion(s) to take by looking at the excursions listed, and maybe reading some of the reviews posted.

Definitely Belize! There is really nothing to do there but shop if you don't do an excursion. In Roatan there is an awesome beach right there to enjoy for free!

I totally agree! We had a snorkeling excursion booked but it wasn't until 1:00 so we had to kill time. We walked out of the port hoping to just walk around and sight see. Never Again. There is nothing to see and the locals were scary. If you enjoy seeing the beautiful crystal clear water like I do then you definately have to do an excursion because the water along the mainland is brown & yucky. The beautiful water's of Belize is out along the islands.

Tough call not knowing your likes. Wanna sit and relax on a beach or see and learn about a new location? Both ports are the best I have ever been to in 3 cruises. Roatan is just Mahagony Bay, so your not really "seeing" Roatan. Just a man made place? If you do an excursion here you can drive through a village or town like Coxen Hole, see the incredible world class beaches on the West side, visit West Bay communities and quirkiness, and roam over the lush hills that make up the island and provide awesome views.

Belize, one can wander here and see old culture, a more depressed physical place but vibrant people who are fun loving.

So, what I am saying is: You don't really see "Roatan" from Port, You do see Belize ( but city life not the wild interior/jungle) and are in Belize at Port.

Like learning about new places and not into just sloshing drinks at a beach bar, AND can only do one excursion...tour Roatan, walk Belize.

We were just on the Dream, many of the cave tubing excursions were cancelled. The reviews are right though- if you are not doing an excursion, dont waste time going to shore.

Roatan was my favorite stop on this trip. Hooked up with Channin Boddin tours, did a great tour of the island with a personal driver, went off to Enomis dive shop and did 2 dives on the reef and then off to play with monkeys and see a bunch of other exotic birds. Great time, highly recommend something like this. Channin will meet you at the port and take you island wide. There was also a ton of zip lining in Roatan, but do yourself a big favor, get out of the port area and see the beautiful and safe island!

I would go zip-lining in Roatan! South Shore Canopy, followed by West Bay beach afterwards. It's amazing. Very safe (double cables), and they take good care of you.

We booked independently here:

http://www.roatanshoreexcursions.com/index.php/canopy-ziplining/south-shore-canopy-tour.html

We've also gone cave-tubing in Belize. It was fun, but zip-lining in Roatan was better! We enjoyed both ports & excursions, so you really can't go wrong.

Take the Carnival excursion in Belize, as there is nothing to do at the port but a bit of shopping and outside the fence is scary!

Do Mahogany Bay beach and port shopping, but you can get a super inexpensive tour through Victor Bodden tours! Very reliable and well worth it!

OP, if you haven't done so already, be sure to check out the ports of call boards here on Cruise Critic for more excellent info. I am also going to be in these ports in November and have been doing a lot of research on those boards. Decided on cave tubing in Belize, and a beach tour in Roatan.

Belize! We did the Carnival excursion to Xunantunich mayan ruins in Belize. It was a wonderful way to see the countryside, learn about the mayan ruins, and have an authentic Belizian lunch, etc. My older daughter and I loved it, my 14-year old was "bored", but if she paid attention she would have learned something.

That being said, I don't know if your boys would be bored with a day of history and sightseeing so I'd suggest either cave tubing or snorkeling the barrier reef. If we stop in Belize again, we will do the reef (the cave tubing in the dark is a little scary).

On the flip side, we took the Tabyana Beach Break excursion in Roatan and LOVED it. Looked much nicer than Mahogany Bay and you have a beautiful, clear reef steps from the beach. We spent all day snorkeling and sunning. We would return again!

Because of the "high crime" rate in Belize, I suggest you find a Carnival excursion in Belize. You can always visit Mahagony Bay in Roatan and not have to pay an excursion (but you will have to pay if you want a clamshell).

We did Cave Tubing in Belize with www.cavetubing.bz. What a great day!

Catrin

cavetubing.bz HANDS DOWN!! It is a private tour they pick you up in nice air conditioned vans and it wasn't expensive at all we had a group of 8 we just did it last January 2012

Isn't Vitalino and his guides terrific - it was the best excursion of the cruise and my kids even loved it more than the swim with the dolphins and manatees - they still talk about the BUTTS UP!!!! It was a great time

I've done the western islands twice and used coral breeze tours in Belize for cave tubing and loved it.

http://www.coralbreezetours.com/Belize/cave/tubing/cruise/excursion/current_category.15/Product.17/tours_add.html?t_product=17

In Roatan (a place I would love to live) we used Victor Bodden tours both times. My kids(17, 14, 11) loved the beach and visiting the monkeys. You can customize your tour here so it isn't too pricey. I can post or send you photos of both excursions if you want. Enjoy your trip:)

http://boddentours.com/index.htm

Did a ton of research as we were supposed to go to Belize..cancelled:(

Anyway.. VIV Tours Cavetubing in Belize.

We are doing the ship's Tabayana Beach in Roatan. Lots and lots of posts in the PORTS Thread

Too short a time in port to be even bothered about taxis etc etc

Understand you only want to take an excursion in either Roatan or Belize.

Since you'll be in Roatan on a Carnival ship, you'll dock at Mohognay Bay. There is a n/c beach right there. We've been there and it's nice. Should work out great for your non-excursion day. :)

Belize is the place you will certainly want to take an excursion. If you don't, the boys will be totally bored.

We took the same cruise last Thanksgiving. Went on a non-Carnival excursion. Search Lamanai -- it was an adventure to write home about!! If you are interested in seeing the real Belize, not what Carnival wants you to see -- this is worth it. We took a van ride, a 45 minute boat thru the rainforest, and climbed ancient mayan ruins. We were worried about missing the boat, but were back hours early. A very knowledgable tour guide, but he rushed us a little bit too much. It was definitely a great excursion if you are interested in adventure (and I am NOT an adventurous person!)

Archived