Sea Bands....do they work?

cruise bear

My family of 4 will be sailing RCCL Freedom of the Seas in November. My husband and I have been on a cruise before, but not my children. Last time I cruised, I didn't feel well for about a week after. Don't have the stomach I had when I was younger lol. I'm so afraid that my kids might feel nausea while on board. It would really ruin things. But I hate to medicate with pills (they make you so sleepy), and I hear that aren't effective once the nausea sets in. Have any of you used those Sea bands (accupressure I think)? Do they work? Are they uncomfortable?

First I will say that supposedly they were scientifically disproved according to what I've read on these boards. Apparently ginger pills (natural, safe) are proven to be the best. For regular pills I take bonine and don't notice any sleepiness. I've also read wonderful things about motion ease which CAN be used after the nausea sets in, claims to work within 5 minutes. One review was for a boat owner who uses it on ill clients and I think he said 80 or 90% have success with it. I found some at Walmart and will be trying it.

Now back to your question, I DO feel it helps me, significantly. I can think of one trip in particular, we were driving down for our first cruise out of Miami. I honestly had very little trouble on the ship and didn't end up using anything but my car sickness is terrible. On this trip (and all others) I took Bonine and ginger pills and used the sea bands. I felt pretty good and was even able to read and send the text messages while normally even glancing at my phone brings on queasiness. We stopped for food and I took the sea bands off. We got back in the car and I when I checked my next message, I wasn't feeling so hot. Then I realized I forgot to put the sea bands back on. Put them on and after maybe 10 minutes I felt well enough to check messages again. Maybe it's a placebo but it works for me so I'm not going to stop.

We tried them once and couldn't stand them. They were quite irritating and intrusive (for lack of a better word) for me. My hubby wore them once for an hour and wouldn't wear them again.

We don't usually experience much motion sickness, but like to have something for the just in case situations. Ginger capsules work well for us and I bring some meclazine (generic Bonine or Less Drowsy Dramamine) to take at bedtime if necessary. We used to take 1/2 a meclazine every night, but one time I forgot to "dose" us for 3 nights running--and we didn't even notice. Now I just bring the meclazine if there might be really stormy conditions. We do take the ginger just as a preventive measure with no side effects.

beachchick

I use non-drowsy Bonine if I need something which isn't very often, and then do not make me sleepy. Also they do work once nausea sets in. As far as the sea bands, I have found them useless not to mention kind of in the way on my wrist.

For children I would talk to their pediatrician and see what the recommendation is from the doctor.

.....Have any of you used those Sea bands (accupressure I think)? Do they work? Are they uncomfortable?
The key is getting the little ball to put pressure in the right spot on the inside of your wrist, which for some people can vary from the instructions given on the package insert.

When I first tried them, I thought they did not work, not realizing that I did not have them positioned correctly for me.

The problem with the Sea bands is that they give no indication of whether or not you have the little ball in the right spot for you, other than waiting to find out whether or not they relieve you of queasiness.

The way that I discovered the right spot for me was a number of years ago when I tried ReliefBands, which give you a little electric zing when positioned properly. (Unfortunately,ReliefBands have since been discontinued.) Since locating the correct spot on my wrist, the Sea Bands now also work for me.

I do not find them at all uncomfortable. It feels like wearing an expansion band wristwatch, which might feel uncomfortable to someone who is not used to it.

The ReliefBands (which were a lot more expensive than Sea Bands) do have a stronger effect and start working more quickly.

I am someone who dislikes taking medicinal products that are not necessary, so that is why I prefer using an external device for this purpose.

Dramamine puts me to sleep. Bonine (meclizine) gives me a slightly woozy, brain-fogged feeling. Herbal or homeopathic remedies work for some. Ginger can be helpful, but should not be taken in combination with some medications. The standard advice to consult doctor who knows your medical history applies before taking any internal remedy.

There is a new product advertised that claims it is a replacement for Reliefbands, but I do not know anything about it and therefore cannot recommend it.

They have worked quite well for us. I guess we put them in the right spot and we don't expect immediate relief, it takes about 20-30 minutes.

I tried ginger and it gave me heartburn. I tried meclizine and was sleepy for a few days. I just discontinued it and felt fine.

The only other thing I have found that works is the less drowsy formula Dramamine, half the tab at bedtime, if we are going to be on a tender boat or small excursion boat I may take the other half before leaving.

Ginger ale does help motion sickness, but you have to make sure it really contains ginger rather than the flavoring.

Whatever relief form you may want to use, try it before leaving on your cruise.

Archived