Carnival Magic review with pictures!!!

stacycakes1

Just want to say THANK YOU to everyone posting on here for keeping me busy these last couple of days! I have been home and in the hospital sick (nothing big though) and this has really kept me feeling better:) You all rock and I hope your future trips are as great as ours was!!!!

Glad it wasn't anything too bad. Get better and get back to SEA!!!! :)

-KD

My family and I are leaving in less than 7 weeks or our first Mediterranean cruise and are beyond excited! I absolutely loved your review, probably the best I've read here on the boards.

We are also using RomeInLimo and your reviews confirmed we are making the right choice! Question, for the Accademia in Florence...we were told by Jany to call and purchase our tickets but I'm having a really hard time getting through at the right time. You mentioned RIL purchased them for you? That might be a big help for us. (obviously we pay them back upon or arrival).

They did get them for us but I think that RIL has gotten so busy now they have stopped doing that for people. Jany is the main contact so if she can't help you with it you will probably have to try to get through yourself. Sorry I couldn't direct you any further!

Great review - thanks! :)

Did you have any issues bringing your wine and olive oil back on the ship? Did you fly them home? Special packing? :confused:

Funny you should ask... You are "supposed" to check all wine and liquor in when you board the ship but they were really relaxed about it when we were there (not like in the Caribbean where they take everything).

When we boarded we went through security and they said "you will need to stop at the table and check in your wine," but the table was around the corner and the guy sitting there didn't even ask us and we just walked past him up to our room. We wanted to enjoy some of it during the week so it worked out nicely.

As for taking stuff home, we used wine diapers and they worked great. The great thing about them is they hold almost any size bottles including our HUGE Limoncello bottles, they protect the bottles with cushioning to keep them from breaking and if a bottle does happen to break the liquid is completely soaked up so it doesn't get on anything in your suitcase. We actually tested one out before we left and couldn't believe how much liquid they hold.

We bought the wine diapers on Amazon. There are quite a few different kinds so you can pick and choose what you want. I think I got a 3 pack for a couple dollars.

I would book as soon as you know for sure you want to use RIL. You can always add people to your group and change which tour you go on at any time. if you wait to long and they book up all of their drivers you are done for it.

Jany runs the reservations there and she is great to work with. Once you have made a reservation you can basically do what you want that day with your driver so I say go for it as soon as you can to guarentee you get to use them:)

Thanks for your quick response- I'll be sure to book ASAP. I'm also going to show my future husband your response as he thinks I'm crazy to be planning this far in advance!

In regards to "wine diapers" who knew they had such a thing!? I certainly didn't!! Thanks yet again for another valuable tip! Sorry to hear you are under the weather :( I hope you are on the mend and feeling better soon!

Thanks for your quick response- I'll be sure to book ASAP. I'm also going to show my future husband your response as he thinks I'm crazy to be planning this far in advance!

In regards to "wine diapers" who knew they had such a thing!? I certainly didn't!! Thanks yet again for another valuable tip! Sorry to hear you are under the weather :( I hope you are on the mend and feeling better soon!

Thanks, I am feeling much better today actually!;) I am so bored that I get excited when I see a new post. With it being something fun to do I answer right away like a complete nerd!

I love your planning comment!!! It is so funny you say your husband thinks you are crazy with the early planning, my husband thought I was crazy too when I was planning a whole year in advanced for everything. He quickly realized once we were there the HUGE benefits from me taking that much time to plan and has learned since to shut his mouth (lol):D

He really didn't realize how much can go into a trip like this and how much money and wait time you can save from early planning. Your soon to be hubby will see it too, and besides, it is so much fun planning it is worth being "crazy":)

Great job Stacy!!

Thanks--I can only imagine what time and effort went into all that! We've have been fortunate enough to cruise in the Med a few times, and have been to all your ports, save Messina--your great pics and commentary just brought it all back, and I got to relive some sunny days in some of the most beautiful places on the planet, on this, a rainy spring day in Toronto.

Fabulous job!

And, if I might say---I, and I'm sure, all hot-blooded males north of the 49th parallel, think you to be quite delectable (said in my best Wayne's World/Stan Mikita Donuts voice);)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ96wJR9h7ODU5wVtg03CJX3UXRLsW2cGoWSr9Zxma-E7ioXoFhhA

(I have achieved, and struggled, and re-achieved significant weight loss, and know what a struggle, and what an achievement, it is--good on ya, kid!

Kevin

i am trying to catch up but had 2 quick questions!

1.) Which Marriott did you stay at in Barcelona? We are staying at the Hotel Arts (technically I think it is a Ritz) and in Paris we are staying at the Marriott Champs Elysees. Both on points too!

2.) My bf (and my family) are going to Paris after the cruise... I too dream of being in Paris with my lover :) and I am dying to have a picnic under the Eiffel Tower! Any tips for it? Are there areas around to get some food for a picnic? Did you guys go to the lovers bridge?

Can't wait to read the rest! We leave 5/21!

Ok I am still not done but had to comment again ;)

I am so lame, I am tearing up at the Rome pictures! I have been to Europe before but no one in my family has I have dreamed of bringing them back. And i totally get the "wow am I really here?" thing. I hope I don't cry when we really are there, gosh I am such a sappy person! Man you have me so excited!!!

and side-note, my bf and I have been together a long time like you two were (10 years) so I am crossing my fingers for a proposal on this trip :o

Stacy

I had a Marriott Barcelona question also.

I assume you stayed at the Marriott by the Airport. Did they have free transportation to the cruise terminal? I know they have a free shuttle bus into town. How much was the taxi in to town? How was the hotel?

Also, you said Rome in Limo offered a discount if you booked a Limo in more than one city. I could not find anything on their website that said anything about.

I am really excited about using RIL. Did you do anything in advance to collect money from the other people in your group? I am nervous about booking a Limo for 8 and then have one or more people no show on me.

Thanks

Mark

Edited by SCUBA Mark

Why so far great pics :-)

Day 1 - Flight from Chicago and Paris

My DH Paul and I had gotten married on a Saturday. It was a fantastic wedding and we had the time of our lives with all of our friends and family. We would have been so sad that it was over but fortunately we had our cruise on the Magic coming to keep us in excitement mode.

307556_2404318066873_1218764125_33054903_7444153_n.jpg

Fortunately we did have some down time before we had to head to the airport on the following Wednesday to collect ourselves and pack. Our flight was leaving at 5:30pm and we would be on the redeye to Paris, France.

283305_2305427274665_1218764125_32908211_454823_n.jpg

270452_2305429554722_1218764125_32908219_1698763_n.jpg

We decided to fly Air France because they have a great deal where you can stopover in Paris for free for however long you want before connecting to your final destination.

269133_2305432794803_1218764125_32908237_5479252_n.jpg

285160_2305436194888_1218764125_32908254_2430360_n.jpg

The flight went great. We both got lots of sleep and actually felt okay when we landed at 8:30am Paris time (Which is like 12:13am Chicago time).

Stacy

Also, you said Rome in Limo offered a discount if you booked a Limo in more than one city. I could not find anything on their website that said anything about.

Just wanted to jump in and say we have 3 RIL tours booked for our upcoming cruise. When we booked they offered 50 Euros off each tour when you booked 3 or more. I would e-mail them and Jany will e-mail you back promptly. She/He is very good at communicating via e-mail. I swear he/she never sleeps because it seems like I always get a response back within a couple hours.

Funny you should ask... You are "supposed" to check all wine and liquor in when you board the ship but they were really relaxed about it when we were there (not like in the Caribbean where they take everything).

When we boarded we went through security and they said "you will need to stop at the table and check in your wine," but the table was around the corner and the guy sitting there didn't even ask us and we just walked past him up to our room. We wanted to enjoy some of it during the week so it worked out nicely.

As for taking stuff home, we used wine diapers and they worked great. The great thing about them is they hold almost any size bottles including our HUGE Limoncello bottles, they protect the bottles with cushioning to keep them from breaking and if a bottle does happen to break the liquid is completely soaked up so it doesn't get on anything in your suitcase. We actually tested one out before we left and couldn't believe how much liquid they hold.

We bought the wine diapers on Amazon. There are quite a few different kinds so you can pick and choose what you want. I think I got a 3 pack for a couple dollars.

Perfect! Many thanks! :)

First I gotta say congrats for the wedding. A big thank you for your review it is just spectacular and fun to read.

I have been on the Miracle before and thought it was the nicest cruise ship that I have cruise with Carnival as of yet.

Once again thanks for all

Eric

Sorry for so many questions! You just seem a lot like me and your trip is almost identical to mine :)

1.) We also have 7:30 am call times with RIL. What time do you recommend we physically leave our staterooms to head off the ship? I wrote down 6:30 breakfast in cabin, 7:00 depart ship, but I saw you had breakfast at 6. Would 6:30 be too late? I plan on getting up at 6, get ready until 6:30, eat, leave.

2.) The food all looks amazing! Seriously, I have not had carbs in 2 weeks and don't plan on having any until Europe because I know I am going to eat the BEST CARBS IN THE WORLD when we get there :) I have a list of 15 places to eat carbs at (pasta, pastries, breads, pizza, etc. LOL). Do you think you gained weight or felt overly bloated? I lost 10 pounds in preparation for this trip because I plan on eating my heart out haha. Do you think you walked a lot in ports, or not since RIL was able to drop you off everywhere? When I went to Europe the first time we walked everywhere and I actually lost weight but since we are using RIL I get the impression we will not be walking as much.

3.) Shoes. I see you are in dresses everyday, what type of shoes did you wear? Sandals, wedges? What about Rome, did your dress cover your knees? I plan on wearing dresses a lot too.

4.)How did you go about bringing food/drinks back on ship? If you wanted to bring back sweets, pizza leftovers etc. were you able to. These items are not in packages so I didn't know if that was ok. I read above they seemed cool about the liquor and wine.

Thanks for the great report! Can't wait for my trip!

Edited by CruisingGatorGirl

[/font][/color]

Roberto and Pam,

To answer your questions...

No we didn't get to try a stuffed Zucchini! I have had them many times here in the states but neglected to try one there, soooo, I guess you're right, we will just have to go back:)

I will try to find out the name of the Restaurant in Roma if I can. I will look back at the pics from that day and see if I missed something. It was our first day with RIL and I was just so excited I forgot to take a pic of the menu like I did at the other places.

Sorry to cost you more money but hey, I have to say it is TOTALLY worth it to stop over in Paris. You will love it and it is so easy to do, especially if you do fly Air France and use there free layover program. If you are looking for the program online don't go to the Air France Website, you have to type in Layover or Stopover program, Air France into Google and then it will direct you to a special page to find it. if you have time you can always take the train from Paris to Barcelona as well.

Anyway, hope you have a fabulous trip!

The Boss and me think that you are pretty amazing to not only put together a wonderful journal for all to enjoy, but taking the time to answer everyone's questions. Unfortunately, not one of the many italian joints in South Florida offer stuffed zucchini flowers so I have to wait until next April. Don't worry about looking for the name of the restaurant in Rome since there are so many of them with great food.

I decided to tell The Boss we can't swing Paris because of the cost. I'm putting my foot down and taking her wrath like a man, although I'm scared. :o She's a mean tempered German-Sicilian and is liable to leave the gun and take the canollis (Godfather murder scene). When we check in for our flight, I'll surprise her with tickets to Paris. I will get mega brownie points, do the happy dance, and get to buy all the wine I can carry home. You've inspired me to make the extra effort ("pay it forward") to make this The Boss's most memorable trip.

Z and TB

i am trying to catch up but had 2 quick questions!

1.) Which Marriott did you stay at in Barcelona? We are staying at the Hotel Arts (technically I think it is a Ritz) and in Paris we are staying at the Marriott Champs Elysees. Both on points too!

2.) My bf (and my family) are going to Paris after the cruise... I too dream of being in Paris with my lover :) and I am dying to have a picnic under the Eiffel Tower! Any tips for it? Are there areas around to get some food for a picnic? Did you guys go to the lovers bridge?

Can't wait to read the rest! We leave 5/21!

Hello! Here are the ansers to your questions:)

1.) Which Marriott did you stay at in Barcelona?

We stayed at the Renaissance Barcelona Airport Hotel. It was a little ways away from Las Ramblas and theport but they had shuttle services so it worked out quite nicely. It wasn't anything fancy like the Hotel Arts but it was nice enough. It was a level 4 and we had a free level 4 night so that is why we chose to stay there instead of the Arts.

The picnic under the Eiffel Tower was our favorite thing we did when we were there. It was actually very impromptu and we loved it.

There are so many places to get snacks to set yourself up. It is a big city just like New York or Chicago and every other corner has a store for selling groceries, etc...

You should have no problem picking up some food and wine, and like us, even some little plastic wine glasses. There are also people selling wine on the lawns if you get there and prefer that. They walk around with with wine bottles in buckets of ice asking if you want any. Of course it is probably over priced but it is an option as well.

Remember this is a big city with lot's of people so your options really are endless:)

Ok I am still not done but had to comment again ;)

I am so lame, I am tearing up at the Rome pictures! I have been to Europe before but no one in my family has I have dreamed of bringing them back. And i totally get the "wow am I really here?" thing. I hope I don't cry when we really are there, gosh I am such a sappy person! Man you have me so excited!!!

and side-note, my bf and I have been together a long time like you two were (10 years) so I am crossing my fingers for a proposal on this trip :o

How exciting!!! Hope it works out for you, there would never be a better setting for it:)

Oh and I noticed your screen name so GO GATORS (I am from Florida, grew up in Orlando area)!!!!

Stacy

I had a Marriott Barcelona question also.

I assume you stayed at the Marriott by the Airport. Did they have free transportation to the cruise terminal? I know they have a free shuttle bus into town. How much was the taxi in to town? How was the hotel?

I am really excited about using RIL. Did you do anything in advance to collect money from the other people in your group? I am nervous about booking a Limo for 8 and then have one or more people no show on me.

Thanks

Mark

Mark,

Here are some answers to your questions:)

Did they have free transportation to the cruise terminal?

No, it wasn't free unfortunately but it was a lot cheaper then a cab. It is 10 euro per person for the cruise shuttle. Be sure to sign up for a time slot when you check in and be down to the lobby at least 1/2 hour early if not before then. Almost EVERYONE staying at that hotel is staying because of a cruise (not just Carnival but all of the different lines) and the lobby was a mad house every single morning we were there (I am talking hundreds of people). They get everyone there in plenty of time but if you go down after the rush you will end up waiting even if you reserved the time till the last shuttle (we didn't realize this and waited almost 1 hour and 1/2 to get on a shuttle).

I know they have a free shuttle bus into town. How much was the taxi in to town?

The cab cost almost 20 Euro!!! We took one the first day we were there to and from Las Ramblas and regret not taking the free shuttle. It is hard because you have to go and come back at certain times with the shuttle but it woudl have been worth saving the money. We used the shuttle that last day we were there and it was very easy and nice. Also, I think there is a bus that picks you up right in front of the hotel but we never had the time to look into it closely so I don't have much info on it.

How was the hotel?

The hotel was decent. It was clean and contemporary. I do have to say though that there was an odd smell in the main areas (I think it was from the kitchen's, very fishy) and it was very dark inside.

This didn't make it my favorite place to stay but it was worth it for the money per night (I believe it was only $115 a night). We had used out points to stay here though and stayed for free so it made it even more worth it.

If we had to pay for a place I would have maybe preferred to stay closer to the downtown area by Las Ramblas and the Port, it would have been more convinient and probably a bit nicer. It also would be more expensive though so it really depend the money thing or not.

We had room service there one night and it was okay, nothing special but not bad. We also sat out on the deck outside in what looks like an actual backyard and had some wine we bought downtown at night which was great and the pool looked decent as well ( we never did go in).

You said Rome in Limo offered a discount if you booked a Limo in more than one city. I could not find anything on their website that said anything about.

I'm not sure if it says it on the website but they do have a deal where if you book 3 or more tours with them they will take 50 euros off each tours total price. Ask jany about it when you make the reservation.

Did you do anything in advance to collect money from the other people in your group?

We didn't collect money ahead of time and I too was VERY nervous about that at first. I had heard horror stories about people not showing up and others owing so much more then what they originally thought it would be.

I was lucky in the fact that I had talked to the ladies in my group for months and made extensive plans with them via email that I felt pretty confident they would all show up that morning. We also met at the roll call so we were all on the same page.

You really can't ask a stranger to send you money ahead of time because how would they know you wouldn't be the one not showing up and now you have stolen their money (not that you would). It really it is a risk you have to take with forming these groups.

I would really just pick your group mates and be sure to email each other and see if they seem like reliable people. Usually the people on here that are taking this much time to plan something like this are just as worried about no shows and would never miss the opportunity anyway.

Sorry I couldn't give you more advice on that one!

You said Rome in Limo offered a discount if you booked a Limo in more than one city. I could not find anything on their website that said anything about.

I'm not sure if it says it on the website but they do have a deal where if you book 3 or more tours with them they will take 50 euros off each tours total price. Ask jany about it when you make the reservation.

I am going to jump in here :)

You will only get a discount if your tour has 3 or more ppl. and you book 2 or more tours with them ;) We have just booked with RIL - so far 2 'private' tours [just the 2 of us] and no discount. Just been emailing back and forth with Jany about this exact topic.

Just thought I'd share :p

Happy Cruising......

DonnaF :D

Sorry for so many questions! You just seem a lot like me and your trip is almost identical to mine :)

1.) We also have 7:30 am call times with RIL. What time do you recommend we physically leave our staterooms to head off the ship? I wrote down 6:30 breakfast in cabin, 7:00 depart ship, but I saw you had breakfast at 6. Would 6:30 be too late? I plan on getting up at 6, get ready until 6:30, eat, leave.

2.) The food all looks amazing! Seriously, I have not had carbs in 2 weeks and don't plan on having any until Europe because I know I am going to eat the BEST CARBS IN THE WORLD when we get there :) I have a list of 15 places to eat carbs at (pasta, pastries, breads, pizza, etc. LOL). Do you think you gained weight or felt overly bloated? I lost 10 pounds in preparation for this trip because I plan on eating my heart out haha. Do you think you walked a lot in ports, or not since RIL was able to drop you off everywhere? When I went to Europe the first time we walked everywhere and I actually lost weight but since we are using RIL I get the impression we will not be walking as much.

3.) Shoes. I see you are in dresses everyday, what type of shoes did you wear? Sandals, wedges? What about Rome, did your dress cover your knees? I plan on wearing dresses a lot too.

4.)How did you go about bringing food/drinks back on ship? If you wanted to bring back sweets, pizza leftovers etc. were you able to. These items are not in packages so I didn't know if that was ok. I read above they seemed cool about the liquor and wine.

Thanks for the great report! Can't wait for my trip!

No problem wiht all of the questions, keep them coming:) I am VERY bored right now and this is fun stuff.

So to answer your other questions:

I think your timing is great. Giving yourself a 1/2 hour to get off the ship and find your driver is perfect. If you run a few minutes behind they will wait for you so no worries. We may have gotten up a bit earlier just because we are slow in the morning but we always left our cabin 1/2 hour before we were due to meet our driver and tour mates and was always right on time.

2.) Do you think you gained weight or felt overly bloated? Do you think you walked a lot in ports, or not since RIL was able to drop you off everywhere?

I actually didn't really gain wieght because yes, I ate foods i had been avoiding for a very long time (yes those would be carbs) but we walked all day everyday and I felt great! Even though you have a driver they are really just taking to each place that is too far to walk to for time saving reasons. Once you are dropped off at each site you walk all over the place. We were inthe car the most on the Amalfi tour but when we were out of the car we were climbing steps, a lot of them:)

We also really didn't have time to eat that much! We enjoyed spectacular dinners but we were so busy the rest of the time we didn't eat much else. We bought a lot of items for later times when we shopped but that was it. Besides that breakfast and dinner were on the ship and you know how those go (we are actually pretty good onthe ships ourselves, but yes it can be easy to overendulge).

3.) Shoes. I see you are in dresses everyday, what type of shoes did you wear? Sandals, wedges?

I had thought I was going to need some special walking shoes after being on these boards and hearing how hard it is with the cobblestne, etc... and actually went out and spent money on naturalizer sandals.

To be honest, I walk so much here in Chicago (I might drive my car once a week to the grocery store) and realized after the first day in Paris that I was fine wearing flip flops and comfy sandals the whole time and hardly ever used the special shoes I bought! It is no different then spending a day at a place like Disney. Expect to be on your feet all day and wear whatever makes you the most comfortable whether it is sandles, flip flops, sneakers or special walking shoes. Yes, there are cobblestones and some rough areas but nothing so bad you need "traction" shoes (at least that is my opinion, others who don't walk much may disagree).

4) What about Rome, did your dress cover your knees?

That day I wore a long maxi dress to my feet and brought a small shall to cover my arms and that fit in my tiny travel purse just to be on the safe side. I had no problems with getting in everywhere and was still cool and comfortable.

If you are wondering about my travel anit theft purse... here is a pic and the link for it. I loved it and it was well worth the money knowing my belongings woud be secure from pick pocketers:

4342_206_Metrosafe_100_GII_MD.jpg

http://pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&product_status=New

They also sell waste band wallets, etc...

4.)How did you go about bringing food/drinks back on ship? If you wanted to bring back sweets, pizza leftovers etc. were you able to?

We were never stoppped for packaged foods and never tried to bring unpackaged foods on so I am not sure about this one???

The Boss and me think that you are pretty amazing to not only put together a wonderful journal for all to enjoy, but taking the time to answer everyone's questions. Unfortunately, not one of the many italian joints in South Florida offer stuffed zucchini flowers so I have to wait until next April. Don't worry about looking for the name of the restaurant in Rome since there are so many of them with great food.

I decided to tell The Boss we can't swing Paris because of the cost. I'm putting my foot down and taking her wrath like a man, although I'm scared. :o She's a mean tempered German-Sicilian and is liable to leave the gun and take the canollis (Godfather murder scene). When we check in for our flight, I'll surprise her with tickets to Paris. I will get mega brownie points, do the happy dance, and get to buy all the wine I can carry home. You've inspired me to make the extra effort ("pay it forward") to make this The Boss's most memorable trip.

Z and TB

Oh my gosh you sneaky boy you! That is such a great suprise and if my hubby did that for me I would kiss him to pieces:)

You will love it and be glad you did it, I promise!!!!

I am going to jump in here :)

You will only get a discount if your tour has 3 or more ppl. and you book 2 or more tours with them ;) We have just booked with RIL - so far 2 'private' tours [just the 2 of us] and no discount. Just been emailing back and forth with Jany about this exact topic.

Just thought I'd share :p

Happy Cruising......

Thanks Donna! I had that wrong:) Happy sailing!

Oh no,,,,u did not have it wrong, just missing a detail ;)

Cause I thought exactly the same thing :o and I was wrong.

Thanks for all the info you are sharing, always a pleasure to read your posts !

Hope you are feeling better daily :):)

Happy Cruising.....

Stacy, your review and pictures are awesome!! Thank you so much for taking the time to share. We will be going in October and super excited!! I am a picture nut!!! You said you used the Nikkon Cool Pix! Can you tell me which model? There are so many different ones. Your pictures are so stunning, I'm wondering if you have the model had has the wide angle lens? Again.. Thank you so much for sharing all this wonderful information!!!

You SO should go!!! I think a lot of people think that the French are rude but thy SO aren’t. When you hear of people not liking it there it is probably because they were rude and were treated that way in return. We tried to always say hello in French and were gracious when speaking to the locals and couldn't have gotten treated any better while we were there.

They just want to be respected in their own country just like we do here in ours. A great example is when we were at a restaurant and our waiter was very pleasant and gracious with us. He spoke English and helped us with the menu. We made sure to say Merci (thank you) as much as possible.

There was a couple a few tablse away that were SO rude and almost yelling at the waiter like he was stupid. Tthe waiter spoke only in French and acted as if he knew no English with them. That just proved to us it was the manner at which you present yourself that makes the difference.

Anyway, that was a really long explanation but I think you would enjoy it more then you realize, just go prepared and practice a few key words before you go.

Happy 20th anniversary and I hope you have a great time in the aft wrap cabin, we did!!!!!!

I just want to say I have died and gone to heaven reading your review..you did AN ABSOULTELY FABULOUS jOB planning and enjoying you honeymoon which was filled with a wonderful busy and relaxing time..thank you sooo much...I loved France and Italy many years ago..I am always thrilled when people find what you have stated here...and pre 9-11 when everyone said New Yorker's were abrupt..I found the same treatment..be nice and call their bluff with a smile and joke if you have to...and all will usually be terrific..so glad this was your experience in France..and they are true romantics..they were no doubt thrilled with you two...thanks so much for sharing with us and the real art is unbeleivable isn't it??...Sarah:):):)

Edited by sjn911