Carnival Magic review with pictures!!!

stacycakes1

Stacycakes 1, I must tell you this is absolutely one of, if not the best reviews I have read on this site. Your pictures are truly amazing, the tips you have given are priceless, you surely seem to have gone to great lenghts to plan your cruise out. Your review was so good one seems as if they are along for the ride themselves. I plan on doing this cruise in the future and your advice is priceless, as Paris is my all time favorite city, the tidbit about Air France is invaluable. Also will be trying to use limo service, again thanks for taking the time to post a review, it was a joy to experience it with you and your husband, hope you have many more memorable cruises in your future, will be anxiously waiting to read about them.

Thank you!!! I really enjoyed posting it. I feel like it is a "pay it forward" kind of thing because my trip was so fabulous because of others who had posted tips on here that I would have never even known about.

Thanks again and hope you are having a lovely Sunday!!!

You SO should go!!! I think a lot of people think that the French are rude but thy SO arena’t. When you hear of people not liking it there it is probably because they were rude and were treated that way in return. We tried to always say hello in French and were gracious when speaking to the locals and couldn't have gotten treated any better while we were there.

They just want to be respected in their own country just like we do here in ours. A great example is when we were at a restaurant and our waiter was very pleasant and gracious with us. He spoke English and helped us with the menu. We made sure to say Merci (thank you) as much as possible.

There was a couple a few tables away that were SO rude and almost yelling at the waiter like he was stupid. The waiter spoke only in French and acted as if he knew no English with them. That just proved to us it was the manner at which you present yourself that makes the difference.

Anyway, that was a really long explanation but I think you would enjoy it more then you realize, just go prepared and practice a few key words before you go.

Happy 20th anniversary and I hope you have a great time in the aft wrap cabin, we did!!!!!!

Thank You SO much Stacy.My lovely DW has been wanting to go to Europe and I have put her off.After reading your review we are going to start the planing for the trip.Can you please tell me the make of the camera you used for those beautiful pics.

Seriously? You took the time to type, preview, and send the comment, but didn't mean anything by it? I hate to think what "hun" means, coming from someone that is offended so easily...

The best review (so far!) that I've had the pleasure of reading! Go, Stacy, Go!

I agree... I hate it when people say "hun" like you just don't know any better...

I just love all the photos on your review! I know how long it takes to post them.

We honeymooned on the Med (actually got married on the bow of the ship in Barcelona) and then toured the Med. We used Romeinlimo and had such a wonderful time that we keep using them each time we go. We are going again in TWO WEEKS!!! And I am soooo looking forward to all the FOOD! I love the photos! I can't wait! This review is killing me! :D

We had calculated how much we would need total for each tour (including what we were going to tip) and had gotten it from the bank prior to leaving for our trip. We then kept it locked up in the room and cabin safes and just took what we needed for each day so we weren't carrying it on us all day.

Paul also has one of Rick Steves wallets that goes inside the waste of your pants and I had a travel bag that has mesh wiring so that pickpockets can't steal from it. We were very freaked out from these boards about getting our money stolen but I have to say it really isn't any different then being in a city like New York and Chicago. Just be aware of your surroundings and keep you money on your person and you will be okay:)

My biggest advice would be that you shouldn't not go on a certain tour because you are scared of money being stolen, you will regret it if you do! So many people take these tours everyday all day and very few have problems with money being stolen.

Agreed. I was also freaked out from reading the forums. But our trip to Paris, Barcelona and the Med cruise was without incident. Just be careful and use good judgement. I had a hidden pouch that attached to my belt that I used to carry cash and all of our credit cards, ID's, etc. Real cheap and worked well.

We used RIL for 4 excursions. They only accept cash so you need to plan ahead a bit. ATM's are very plentiful, but make sure you take into account your daily limit because it is a dollar limit, not a Euro limit. I kept "hoarding" Euros throughout the trip so I would have money for RIL. Plan ahead and you'll be fine.

Hi Stac! (You spell your name wrong! I'm a Stac too!)

Loved your review! It made me think of my Med. cruise last summer! A tually, I think we missed each other by a few days! (I was on Royal Caribbean but was in Monacco a few days befor the Prince was married) I was at many of the same ports as you (except Sicily...we were in Ephesus and Santorini instead), and did many of the same things as you (especially with RIL). In fact many of your photos look similar to mine! (yours are better)

For anyone who hasn't gone on a Med. Cruise, you arent going for the ship but for the ports. It's physically exhausting, but worth it. Prepare to spend more money--Europe is expensive! I can say I had sticker shock when it came to excursions, but you get what you pay for. That being said, happy I went with RIL...we only had 4 in our group so it was more expensive, but worth it.

Would love to do it again, but there are too many places I'd like to visit. Headed back to Paris again in June (this will be my 2nd time). Reading your review made me excited to go!

Loved your review. So glad that you did get around to posting a review. Those were some fabulous pictures of Paris and your Med cruise. Made we want to book one.

Again, congrats to both of you on your marriage and thanks for sharing.

WOW!! I think i JUST SPENT ABOUT 2 HOURS READING YOUR REVIEW!! WOW WOW WOW!! ABOSULTLY LOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT IT. YOU ARE SO SWEET AND I REALLY ENJOYED YOUR STYLE OF WRITTING, AND ALL THE BEAUTIFUL PITURES. YOU HAVE INSPIRED ME TO WANTING TO TAKE THIS TRIP SOMEDAY. ACTUALLY, I HAVE SAVED THIS THREAD FOR FUTURE REFERENCE ;) JUST WANT TO SAY THANK YOU... VERY MUCH...FOR SHARING YOUR WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE. CONGRATULATIONS TO THE BOTH OF YOU, BECAUSE YOU MAKE A BEAUTIFUL FUN, CRAZY CUTEEE COUPLE!!!!!!:)

BEATRIZ.

Stacy:

Belated congrats on your wedding. You two seem like a wonderful couple. BTW, I had to stop reading after your Rome posts to say that your posts are the best we've read since we started posting in Cruise Critic back in 2008. I'm spending a wonderful Sunday afternoon enjoying your posts/great pics and taking notes for our Med cruise in Apr 2013 (30th wedding anniversary) on the Regent Mariner. You've also allowed us to relive wonderful memories from our trip to Italy/London/Transatlantic in 2008 and our Med cruise/Italy trip in 2010. We also met a group through Cruise Critic and booked our own tours through Rome in Limo. Every great thing you say about them is true. Complaints:

1. You're killing me not knowing the name of the pizzeria in Rome. :D:mad::D Did you try the stuffed zucchini flowers? If not, then start planning your next trip to Italy ASAP.

2. Your post is going to cost me an extra grand or two in April since I was stupid enough to call my wife over and show her your Paris pics. Now The Boss is demanding adding Paris prior to going to Barcelona for the cruise.

Cheers/

Roberto and Pamela (Z and TB)

Edited by Zqueeze1

I was going to comment at the end but OMG you're such a sweetie! You don't have to do that. I repeated the line about Asian tourists in my head over and over trying to see how it could possibly be offensive to anyone...I came up with nothing. Nothing wrong with details.

I love your review and photos. You and your new hubby are simply adorable!

(back to reading)

I agree 100 percent. Your comment was descriptive in nature. If anyone misinterpreted it, all they need to do is read you posts to see exactly what type of person you really are.

Z and TB

I loved your review!! Good idea to post a link on the Barcelona port page otherwise I would not have seen it.

We are sailing on the NCL Spirit on May 22 and your review has been awesome to read. We have booked RIL on all three of our Italy ports, they sound wonderful.

I looked at the Magic but decided on the Spirit because of the 12 day itinerary and visiting Greece, turkey and ending in Venice. It sounds like the Magic would have also been a great vehicle to see Italy.

Best wishes on your first anniversary!!!

Congratulations & as you approach your 1st anniversary I wish you many more years of love & happiness. Salute!

You're review is amazing & has me even more excited for my own honeymoon aboard Celebrity for a 12 night med cruise in September 2013. We are also planning on starting our adventure with a few days in Paris. I chuckled to myself as I read your review and in a few places you prefaced your explanation with "since it was our honeymoon we went for the "fancy dinner", "special stateroom" etc... I couldn't agree with this more, you only get one honeymoon & when you've been waiting 8 years (it will be 11 years for me by the wedding day!) I think that's enought justification for those little upgrades ;)

Thank you again for taking the time to post just a wonderful review!

Stacy, thanks for a wonderful review! Me and my husband are thinking about doing the same itinerary on the Sunshine next May. And we also want to stay in Paris a day or two. I do have a question for you? When you booked your flights, do you know if the "stay in Paris as long as you want, in between flights" is a all the time thing?? That would work out great for us!

Thanks again for review and great info! Its gonna help a lot for when we go on our cruise next year!

An excellent review Stacey, thanks so much. We did this cruise last June on the Magic as well and loved it so much we are going on the inaugural Breeze cruise.

Reading over the past couple of days, I felt like I was taking our cruise again as well, has got me even more excited about our up and coming cruise :) :) :)

The photos are sensational as well.....thanks again for taking me back to one of the most wonderful cruises we have done.....

Kerri

Thank You SO much Stacy.My lovely DW has been wanting to go to Europe and I have put her off.After reading your review we are going to start the planing for the trip.Can you please tell me the make of the camera you used for those beautiful pics.

We used the Nikon Cool pix camera. My neice had actually gotten one for Christmas and was using it at our wedding before we left. We were so impressed with her pictures we ran to Best Buy on our way to the airport to get one and were so glad that we did! It takes great pictures and has great settings. The only caution I would make is it uses regular batteries and can go through them fast! We bought rechargable batteries and charged them every night and had regular inthe bag as back up and that worked great.

Happy planning!!!!

Stacy:

Belated congrats on your wedding. You two seem like a wonderful couple. BTW, I had to stop reading after your Rome posts to say that your posts are the best we've read since we started posting in Cruise Critic back in 2008. I'm spending a wonderful Sunday afternoon enjoying your posts/great pics and taking notes for our Med cruise in Apr 2013 (30th wedding anniversary) on the Regent Mariner. You've also allowed us to relive wonderful memories from our trip to Italy/London/Transatlantic in 2008 and our Med cruise/Italy trip in 2010. We also met a group through Cruise Critic and booked our own tours through Rome in Limo. Every great thing you say about them is true. Complaints:

1. You're killing me not knowing the name of the pizzeria in Rome. Did you try the stuffed zucchini flowers? If not, then start planning your next trip to Italy ASAP.

2. Your post is going to cost me an extra grand or two in April since I was stupid enough to call my wife over and show her your Paris pics. Now The Boss is demanding adding Paris prior to going to Barcelona for the cruise.

Cheers/

Roberto and Pamela (Z and TB)

Roberto and Pam,

To answer your questions...

No we didn't get to try a stuffed Zucchini! I have had them many times here in the states but neglected to try one there, soooo, I guess you're right, we will just have to go back:)

I will try to find out the name of the Restaurant in Roma if I can. I will look back at the pics from that day and see if I missed something. It was our first day with RIL and I was just so excited I forgot to take a pic of the menu like I did at the other places.

Sorry to cost you more money but hey, I have to say it is TOTALLY worth it to stop over in Paris. You will love it and it is so easy to do, especially if you do fly Air France and use there free layover program. If you are looking for the program online don't go to the Air France Website, you have to type in Layover or Stopover program, Air France into Google and then it will direct you to a special page to find it. if you have time you can always take the train from Paris to Barcelona as well.

Anyway, hope you have a fabulous trip!

Stacy, thanks for a wonderful review! Me and my husband are thinking about doing the same itinerary on the Sunshine next May. And we also want to stay in Paris a day or two. I do have a question for you? When you booked your flights, do you know if the "stay in Paris as long as you want, in between flights" is a all the time thing?? That would work out great for us!

Thanks again for review and great info! Its gonna help a lot for when we go on our cruise next year!

Wow, I just went online to find the actual website to book the free stopover program and I couldn't find it anymore! I would call airfrance and see if they still offer the program but just don't advertise it.

If not, you could always pick flights that have just a really long layover.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Bummer about the airfrance program. Another alternative to finding a flight with a long layover- do a search on Kayak or directly through easyjet. Europe has some very inexpensive airline carries such as easyjet that offer direct one way flights as low as 40$ from Paris- Barcelona as well as other major cities.

Stacy I did think of a question for you- How far in advance do you advise booking with Rome In Limo? Thx!

Wow, I just went online to find the actual website to book the free stopover program and I couldn't find it anymore! I would call airfrance and see if they still offer the program but just don't advertise it.

If not, you could always pick flights that have just a really long layover.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Dont be sorry! You letting me know was more than enough help!

If anything what we might do is just take a train down to Venice from Paris ;) thanks for that help though!!

Bummer about the airfrance program. Another alternative to finding a flight with a long layover- do a search on Kayak or directly through easyjet. Europe has some very inexpensive airline carries such as easyjet that offer direct one way flights as low as 40$ from Paris- Barcelona as well as other major cities.

Stacy I did think of a question for you- How far in advance do you advise booking with Rome In Limo? Thx!

I would book as soon as you know for sure you want to use RIL. You can always add people to your group and change which tour you go on at any time. if you wait to long and they book up all of their drivers you are done for it.

Jany runs the reservations there and she is great to work with. Once you have made a reservation you can basically do what you want that day with your driver so I say go for it as soon as you can to guarentee you get to use them:)

Just want to say THANK YOU to everyone posting on here for keeping me busy these last couple of days! I have been home and in the hospital sick (nothing big though) and this has really kept me feeling better:) You all rock and I hope your future trips are as great as ours was!!!!

My family and I are leaving in less than 7 weeks or our first Mediterranean cruise and are beyond excited! I absolutely loved your review, probably the best I've read here on the boards.

We are also using RomeInLimo and your reviews confirmed we are making the right choice! Question, for the Accademia in Florence...we were told by Jany to call and purchase our tickets but I'm having a really hard time getting through at the right time. You mentioned RIL purchased them for you? That might be a big help for us. (obviously we pay them back upon or arrival).