New Itinerary Possible?

hensghan

Another good option then, might be Eurodam's westbound transatlantic.

No, it isn't exactly what you mention, but that just isn't offered right now.

On the plus sides, it's around the length you mention, and being on Eurodam instead of Maasdam (smaller ships usually carry more of a premium, case in point Prinsendam) the fares might be a little more how you'd like to see them and it's a great itinerary with LOTS of port days to explore.

On the "minus" side, it ends in NYC which is not Montreal but I would imagine the flight to be relatively cheap and easy. Also, don't expect more traditional transatlantic prices (aka CHEAP for how long the cruise is) due to the port intensive nature of this itinerary.

Here's the route for 2012 and 2013:

FindCruises.action%3FcfVer%3D1%26destCode%3DET%26dateCode%3D%26portCode%3D%26durationCode%3D%26shipCodeSearch%3DED

FindCruises.action%3FcfVer%3D1%26destCode%3DET%26dateCode%3D%26portCode%3D%26durationCode%3D%26shipCodeSearch%3DED

I do realize that this is an option but I hope you understand not everyone is interested it flying to Europe. Living on the left side of Canada doesn't help. I really wish that HAL would make a round trip 2 week (or so) trip from Canada or the USA but like I said before it seems like it's falling on deaf ears. I really do hope that will change.

Another good option then, might be Eurodam's westbound transatlantic.

No, it isn't exactly what you mention, but that just isn't offered right now.

On the plus sides, it's around the length you mention, and being on Eurodam instead of Maasdam (smaller ships usually carry more of a premium, case in point Prinsendam) the fares might be a little more how you'd like to see them and it's a great itinerary with LOTS of port days to explore.

On the "minus" side, it ends in NYC which is not Montreal but I would imagine the flight to be relatively cheap and easy. Also, don't expect more traditional transatlantic prices (aka CHEAP for how long the cruise is) due to the port intensive nature of this itinerary.

Here's the route for 2012 and 2013:

DBA, I think you're missing the point. We don't want to fly to Europe nor do we want a 35 day cruise. We'd like a cruise starting in the North East, whether it be Montreal, Boston or NY, and stopping in St. John's (Newfoundland), Iceland and if possible Greenland then back to the same departure city. TA flights are not only expensive but a lot of people are not capable of flying for more than a few hours.

I don't know how popular or not it would be, but I would like a cruise from Port Everglades or whereever, to call at US Ports, like Miami, Key West, Tampa, Mobile, New Orleans, Galveston, with at least one call at a nearby foreign port to make it 'legal'. Or go the other way, stopping at Port Canaveral, Jacksonville, Savannah, Charleston, etc. True, you could easily do a motor trip to see these, but I thought perhaps if they just did one or two a year, they might get some response from those wanting a break from island-hopping, and wanting to see our country without having to drive.....

I would love to see this type of itinerary.

DBA, I think you're missing the point. We don't want to fly to Europe nor do we want a 35 day cruise. We'd like a cruise starting in the North East, whether it be Montreal, Boston or NY, and stopping in St. John's (Newfoundland), Iceland and if possible Greenland then back to the same departure city. TA flights are not only expensive but a lot of people are not capable of flying for more than a few hours.

Thanks for your feedback.

I get the point fully, and am making an effort to point out the things that AT THIS TIME most closely resemble those things that are mentioned.

Think about it this way...

Some people say "I wish there was a cruise that went to Greenland and Iceland. Oh well" and that might make people think we don't go there. We do, it's just more of a transatlantic or half of a Voyage of the Vikings cruise.

Do we currently offer precisely to the letter what is mentioned on a couple wish lists on here? No we don't. And that's been discussed quite significantly. But for those that would also settle for similar... I've brought those options to light.

But for those that would also settle for similar... I've brought those options to light.

Thank you for doing that but I've been wanting to do this itinerary for a few years so it's something that I've been quite aware of. It is good to point it out for those that wouldn't have known. I don't want to speak for others but I travel with HAL a lot so I'm pretty familair with what they offer. It just seems like what some of us want is not being heard or taken seriously. That is my frustration. I know when I was on the ship this is pretty much the same thing I heard so it just seems that HAL is not interested in this scenario at all and that's fine. It is what it is.

I really wish that HAL would make a round trip 2 week (or so) trip from Canada or the USA but like I said before it seems like it's falling on deaf ears. I really do hope that will change.

No current ship can make a Transatlantic run in 7 days with port stops in Iceland or Greenland along the way - and I don't believe any of HAL's current ships is capable of a flat-out 7-day Transatlantic run. 8 days is about the best they can do without overspending on fuel.

If you want a R/T Transatlantic with no stops within 2 weeks, that's what the QM2 is for.

;)

No current ship can make a Transatlantic run in 7 days with port stops in Iceland or Greenland along the way - and I don't believe any of HAL's current ships is capable of a flat-out 7-day Transatlantic run. 8 days is about the best they can do without overspending on fuel.

Brian, what Lorekauf and a few more of us are advocating for is a cruise longer than a week, and not involving Europe at all.

We would like to see a cruise with something between 14 and 20 days, round trip from Montreal, Boston, or NYC, that goes to several ports in Newfoundland, Greenland, and perhaps Iceland (if that isn't too far). Perhaps Halifax, or a New England port or two could be tossed into the mix.

Even done once a year, with some port variations, as an alternative to the Voyage of the Vikings, would be excellent.

Personally, I could be a regular on a run like this.

Brian, what Lorekauf and a few more of us are advocating for is a cruise longer than a week, and not involving Europe at all.

We would like to see a cruise with something between 14 and 20 days, round trip from Montreal, Boston, or NYC, that goes to several ports in Newfoundland, Greenland, and perhaps Iceland (if that isn't too far). Perhaps Halifax, or a New England port or two could be tossed into the mix.

Even done once a year, with some port variations, as an alternative to the Voyage of the Vikings, would be excellent.

Exactly! I don't care if I go anywhere but Greenland. For some reason, I've always wanted to go there. As far as doing a transatlantic cruise, no thanks. Being at sea for days on end is something I would likely never do. I've very worried about having something like a heart attack or some medical condition and dying that way. I know it's kinda weird but it bothers me. I'm also not a huge fan of sea days which some people seem to find amusing.

Thank you Ruth. You took the words right out of my mouth.

I've very worried about having something like a heart attack or some medical condition and dying that way. I know it's kinda weird but it bothers me.

Not weird at all. It's something that those of us who travel alone have to think of.

I was scheduled for my third Voyage of the Vikings when I had my heart attack. Even though I was fine by then, and my cardiologist gave his blessing, I was scared something would happen so far from "civilization". Thinking about being in northern Iceland, the Faroe Islands, Greenland, and have another heart attack did give me pause. The "death march" through the lava field in Iceland really made me worry. (did get to the spot where the North American and European tectonic plates meet, though, and was able to stand with one foot on each at the same time. :D that was a real kick.)

I'm also not a huge fan of sea days which some people seem to find amusing.

The VoV, and the northern crossing of the E-dam, aren't like that. There is a balance of sea days and port days alternating. It's the flight to Europe to catch the ship back that's rugged, especially for those who live further west.

I hope that our wishes are reported to HAL - it seems, from just OUR posts about this potential itinerary, that there would certainly be enough interest in it.

For me, I don't like to fly. I did it for our cruise in February, hating every single minute of it so if I can find some amazing itineraries where I could drive to the port, or at the very least have only a 3 hour flight maximum (the limit that my mental health can tolerate lol) I would be estatic!!

Not weird at all. It's something that those of us who travel alone have to think of.

I was scheduled for my third Voyage of the Vikings when I had my heart attack. Even though I was fine by then, and my cardiologist gave his blessing, I was scared something would happen so far from "civilization". Thinking about being in northern Iceland, the Faroe Islands, Greenland, and have another heart attack did give me pause. The "death march" through the lava field in Iceland really made me worry. (did get to the spot where the North American and European tectonic plates meet, though, and was able to stand with one foot on each at the same time. :D that was a real kick.)

The VoV, and the northern crossing of the E-dam, aren't like that. There is a balance of sea days and port days alternating. It's the flight to Europe to catch the ship back that's rugged, especially for those who live further west.

That's what I like about the VoV. The lack of sea days. I remember saying to a couple on my last cruise that I don't like sea days and they thought I was nuts because I cruise. They told me that they just couldn't wait to tell others that they met someone like me. Alrighty then:rolleyes:.

I'm glad I'm not the only person that worries about health on these cruises. I'm amazed when people people are quite old and they don't mind being at sea forever. That said, you don't have to be old to have a heart attack or other issues.

Sign me up. I love the idea of such a cruise and we would definitely be one of the first to book it :)

Hopefully someone who considers itineraries will see this thread.

Sorry - I misunderstood.

Half Moon Cay (the foreign port)

It beats Nassau, where we ended up in 2003, after Progresso got scratched.

The Bahamians were not very welcoming, I recall reading about a couple who took a taxi, and got lectured by the female taxi driver about their relationship.

Exactly.

There are many rarely (or never) visited ports that those of us that want a break from the usual tourist calls would welcome. I am intrigued with Greenland and Newfoundland. Also Labrador. Together, these could be worked into a fascinating once a year (or more if successful), itinerary.

Currently, aside from the VoV, or similar going to/from Europe, the only port called at Newfoundland is Corner Brook. Iceland may be a bit too far for a 'turnaround' cruise.

This would be perfect for me. I love the idea.

If we're just a small sampling, there sure seems a lot of interest in such an itinerary.

Anyone have any idea how long it takes from concept to implementation for a new itinerary to be added? I wonder how many years that would be? :)

I don't think it would take all that long to put together a new itinerary in general. As long as currently used ports are selected, and there is a slot available on the selected dates. What would take more time would be if an entire new port was pioneered, such as Goose Bay, Labrador, which as far as I know is only called on by Marine Atlantic ferryboats....

I'm glad I'm not the only person that worries about health on these cruises. I'm amazed when people people are quite old and they don't mind being at sea forever. That said, you don't have to be old to have a heart attack or other issues.

If I'm going to have a heart attack and die, certainly would rather it was on a cruise ship than at my desk at work. *S*

Then again, better at my desk than in a nursing home.

(must admit that the downside of facing 65 is having to contemplate such things. But I keep forgetting I have a date with Willard and the Smucker jar, so I guess all is not lost)

If I'm going to have a heart attack and die, certainly would rather it was on a cruise ship than at my desk at work. *S*

It isn't "have a heart attack and die" that's the concern. It's have a heart attack and not die. Now you have a problem if you are far away from adequate medical care.

It isn't "have a heart attack and die" that's the concern. It's have a heart attack and not die. Now you have a problem if you are far away from adequate medical care.

Yes, that.

I wouldn't worry I would die but would worry I would not die and would be left incapacitated because I wasn't near to a fine heart center such as Mass General where I get up to the minute newest treatments.

Archived