Suite to Suite upgrade

cbd317

I know that upgrades have been covered here before. My question however is a little more specific. We currently are 4 people booked in an SJ Family Suite. If - and I know it's a big IF - we were called to upgrade, I am assuming it would be to a two bedroom family suite as that is the next category up (I also know that I'm bypassing the penthouse suites).

Now putting the whole "balcony" issue aside, is a two bedroom family suite on deck 11 actually an upgrade from a SJ suite in a great location on deck 12? I've read in many places that the deck 12 suites are slightly "better" than suites on other decks or at least the deck is nicer. Is this true? Is deck 11 more noisey, dark, or have more foot traffic than deck 12? or would it be a great upgrade and we should snatch it?

We have never cruised before so the entire deck location thing is totally new to me. Please don't beat me up over this question and thank you in advance.

Now putting the whole "balcony" issue aside, is a two bedroom family suite on deck 11 actually an upgrade from a SJ suite in a great location on deck 12? I've read in many places that the deck 12 suites are slightly "better" than suites on other decks or at least the deck is nicer. Is this true? Is deck 11 more noisey, dark, or have more foot traffic than deck 12? or would it be a great upgrade and we should snatch it?

In my opinion the 2br suite with balcony/balconies is definitely an upgrade from SJ just because of the balcony (which we were supposed to leave aside). :)

What comes to decks, the main thing to consider is what is above and sometimes what is below your cabin. If we are talking about the larger suite in the same bow area as SJs are on the Star, there is nothing above them besides the suites on deck 12 when the latter has sun deck and part of jogging track above some of the suites. Both decks have only cabins or other not-so-noisy operations (bridge) below them so that shouldn't be an issue with either.

Also because the sun deck and buffet etc are on deck 12, there is much more traffic near the elevators than on deck 11. So I'd prefer having a bow suite on deck 11 than on 12. Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely happy for our upcoming cruise in SJ but obiviously I'd upgrade if I got the chance. :D

There are of course other things to consider too, the suites on deck 12 are only a little over year old (built 2010) so they are in best condition of all the cabins on the ship. That being said I haven't seen or heard that any older suite would have been in bad shape, little worn at most, so that wouldn't affect to my decision.

After re-reading what I've just written, this rambling might not help much, but hopefully at least a bit. :D

We were booked in an SJ on the Star and were offered an upgrade to the DOS on Deck 12. It was one of the staterooms with 2 Bedrooms and 2 Baths, so it was most definitely an upgrade for us! We also got the 3 bottles of liquor, unlimited sodas and mixers and priority everything.

Our first experience in a suite on Star was deck 10 forward Penthouse with large balcony and have since been in an SJ. We also toured the 2 BR suites on 11. For us it is Deck 12 come what may!

For one thing, the location is great. A few steps to the pool area, or just up one flight to deck 13 which is usually uncrowded and has a great forward hot tub.

The floor to ceiling windows are stunning, the light airy atmosphere is made even more delightful by the high ceilings. Other than the Garden Villas, you just don't find staterooms with that feeling.

I feel like I know that deck like the back of my hand, so feel free to ask any questions!:D

We were booked in an SJ on the Star and were offered an upgrade to the DOS on Deck 12. It was one of the staterooms with 2 Bedrooms and 2 Baths, so it was most definitely an upgrade for us! We also got the 3 bottles of liquor, unlimited sodas and mixers and priority everything.

Our first experience in a suite on Star was deck 10 forward Penthouse with large balcony and have since been in an SJ. We also toured the 2 BR suites on 11. For us it is Deck 12 come what may!

For one thing, the location is great. A few steps to the pool area, or just up one flight to deck 13 which is usually uncrowded and has a great forward hot tub.

The floor to ceiling windows are stunning, the light airy atmosphere is made even more delightful by the high ceilings. Other than the Garden Villas, you just don't find staterooms with that feeling.

I feel like I know that deck like the back of my hand, so feel free to ask any questions!:D

Hi Valleyvillage

I've been waiting for you to post so that I can pick your brain about the SJ suite on the Star. We just upgraded (from a BA on 10). I am still a little nervous about giving up the balcony, but after hearing all the great things about these suites (from you and others) once the price was right, we decided to take the plunge. Now for my questions:

1. How far does the jogging track extend on deck 13. We are in 12518 - is the track over us? Have you had an issue with this?

2. I noticed in someone's pictures that they were using towels to tie back the drapes - should I plan to bring something to hold them back or has this been addressed?

3. Is the shower (in the shower) a handheld, or permenently attached? I think there is a seperate "sprayer" in the tub.

4. Are there lounge chairs on deck 13?

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Thanks

Margi

I am happy to answer any questions! I need to remember to check back to see if you have more. My addy is the same as my screen name at AOL.

Hi Valleyvillage

I've been waiting for you to post so that I can pick your brain about the SJ suite on the Star. We just upgraded (from a BA on 10). I am still a little nervous about giving up the balcony my sister ADORES balconies but now she is sold on SJs, but after hearing all the great things about these suites (from you and others) once the price was right, we decided to take the plunge. Now for my questions:

1. How far does the jogging track extend on deck 13. We are in 12518 - is the track over us? Have you had an issue with this?

The jogging track turns before the stairs, so it should not be an issue. Furthermore, it is not open until 8AM, I believe. They put up a rope with a sign.

2. I noticed in someone's pictures that they were using towels to tie back the drapes - should I plan to bring something to hold them back or has this been addressed? I just sort of braided them together and it worked fine, but a sturdy cord would be perfect. You want to maximize the sunlight streaming in.

3. Is the shower (in the shower) a handheld, or permenently attached? I think there is a seperate "sprayer" in the tub. Ah, that wonderful shower! There is an overhead drenching rain shower and a hand-held telephone type attachment. You can switch between them.

4. Are there lounge chairs on deck 13? Yes, oh yes! There are not only lounge chairs but there is a hot tub!

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Thanks

Margi

I am happy to answer any questions! I need to remember to check back to see if you have more. My addy is the same as my screen name at AOL.

I'm sending a virtual hug your way for the information. Look for an e-mail from me tonight or tomorrow. I know my husband has some questions as well.

Margi

I'm sending a virtual hug your way for the information. Look for an e-mail from me tonight or tomorrow. I know my husband has some questions as well.

Please keep the conversation on the board if possible, at least I'm also interested to learn as much as possible about SJs, we'll be staying about across the ship from Margi (we had 12518 as our first choice for the available suites but because our PCC was away last monday, we were too late). :)

Please keep the conversation on the board if possible, at least I'm also interested to learn as much as possible about SJs, we'll be staying about across the ship from Margi (we had 12518 as our first choice for the available suites but because our PCC was away last monday, we were too late). :)

Will do..and hopefully you'll ask some questions that I may not have thought of..

I just booked an SJ on the Dawn today and am looking forward to it. That said, the family suites on deck 11 are incredible. We were upsold one on our last cruise on the Jade. It's definitely an upgrade. The second bedroom, second bathroom and balcony really provide a lot of space.

thank you all for the fast replies!

In my opinion the 2br suite with balcony/balconies is definitely an upgrade from SJ just because of the balcony (which we were supposed to leave aside).

I know, it IS hard to leave that out of the picture. :)

After re-reading what I've just written, this rambling might not help much, but hopefully at least a bit.

Not rambling at all, and very helpful.

We are booked for room 12016 which I know from Valleyvillage is a wonderful room. My husband gets claustrophobic and was concerned that the bedroom in the two bedroom family would be too closed in for him, otherwise we would have booked that from the get go. The ceilings look so nice and high in SJ.

Although all of this is a mute point if the upsell fairy doesn't call! But good to know for next time. (I'm assuming that I am going to love cruising and not get seasick).

If by some chance we hit the megamillions tonight and can get the family 2br without the upsell fairy, is there a room we should avoid? I assume the more forward to the bow, the quieter the room. Am I wrong?

Plenty of other pictures from the dawn here. Dawn and Star SJ rooms should be very close to the same.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1536165

I notice a difference between your pictures and Valleyvillage's photos. Your room does not have the curtains hanging in the middle of the window, nor do I see one to pull across the front of the bed. Did you take them down, were they not there, or did I just not see them?

Great photos by the way!

Do the benches at the foot of the bed open for storage? It looks like there are drawers there as well.

I understand there are two closets, are there drawers as well? Most of our cruise wardrobe is not stuff we usually hang up.

In the past we have always packed a surge protector to provide extra outlets for all our electronics that need charging overnight. Does the suite have more outlets than the balcony cabin? I'd like to leave it home if I don't need it - every little bit counts in the suitcase.

Archived