Should Princess honor the Titanic sailing, and if so, how?

Terry in NJ

I think it's time to just let it go. To me, having a memorial service honoring those who lost their lives on the Titanic on April 15th while you are currently on board your cruise ship would be akin to United Airlines and American Airlines hosting an in-flight memorial service on 9/11 to honor those who lost their lives during that tragedy. I am a fearful flyer to begin with, so the last thing I'd want is a memorial service while in-flight to remember that people died while flying, :eek:and perhaps a lot of people are somewhat fearful of cruising and don't wish to be reminded that ships sink while they are currently at sea. There are many places one can honor those who have died, but I don't think the memorial should necessarily take place at the venue or vessel of which such tragedy occurred.

As far as "letting it go", it's not like there is a centennial every year that people are going to keep observing over and over again, so I am not sure what you mean. This is the only time it will ever be the 100 year anniversary of the sinking. We honor the anniversaries of many historical events.... Pearl Harbor, D-Day, and even 9-11 are going to have recognition on their special days. In fact, Pearl Harbor victims are honored every single day of the year.

It is assumed that those who are cruising already have an appreciation for sailing and for ships. Many are interested in the history of the old liners such as Titanic. Your comments would actually be heresy on a Cunard ship ;)

It looks like you've managed to avoid sailing on a ship doing that type of commemorative service, so I am not sure why it would matter to you what some other vessel that you are not sailing on would do in honor of the Titanic. Those who are on such a ship and aren't interested in participating can choose not to join the services. No need to limit the enjoyment of others :)

Earlier in this thread someone asked about Cunard. 100 years ago Carpathia the first ship on the scene of the Titanic sinking was a Cunard ship. On the we are Cunard site Peter Shanks CEO of Cunard writes about the captain of this ship and what he did that night to rescue those he could. Very interesting article and a different angle in remembering this tragedy at sea.

Now that's dedication - risking your life sailing on a cruise ship for the sake of your families enjoyment. :D

Wish more people would ask me for that type of dedication.... I could be soooo self-sacrificing ;)

As far as "letting it go", it's not like there is a centennial every year that people are going to keep observing over and over again, so I am not sure what you mean. This is the only time it will ever be the 100 year anniversary of the sinking. We honor the anniversaries of many historical events.... Pearl Harbor, D-Day, and even 9-11 are going to have recognition on their special days. In fact, Pearl Harbor victims are honored every single day of the year.

It is assumed that those who are cruising already have an appreciation for sailing and for ships. Many are interested in the history of the old liners such as Titanic. Your comments would actually be heresy on a Cunard ship ;)

It looks like you've managed to avoid sailing on a ship doing that type of commemorative service, so I am not sure why it would matter to you what some other vessel that you are not sailing on would do in honor of the Titanic. Those who are on such a ship and aren't interested in participating can choose not to join the services. No need to limit the enjoyment of others :)[/quote

LOL ---I haven't met anyone yet who truly "enjoys" funerals or memorial services.

The question was Should Princess honor the Titanic sailing?

My Answer: No. Who gives a hoot. I'm on a cruise ship to party, not to mourn.

It looks like you've managed to avoid sailing on a ship doing that type of commemorative service, so I am not sure why it would matter to you what some other vessel that you are not sailing on would do in honor of the Titanic. Those who are on such a ship and aren't interested in participating can choose not to join the services. No need to limit the enjoyment of others :)[/quote

LOL ---I haven't met anyone yet who truly "enjoys" funerals or memorial services.

The question was Should Princess honor the Titanic sailing?

My Answer: No. Who gives a hoot. I'm on a cruise ship to party, not to mourn.

These guys seem to be having a good time......

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2127400/Titanic-100th-anniversary-Cruise-ship-sets-sail-memorial-voyage-retraces-doomed-liners-journey.html

Just attended a very moving Titanic memorial service on the Grand Princess. Captain Herriot led the service which was conducted in the Princess theater. A wreath laying concluded the service as Amazing Grace was played on the bagpipes by a passenger. The service was well attended and seemed most appropriate on the 100th year anniversary of the loss of the Titanic.

I am very pleased to hear about the Grand memorial service. I will be interested to hear what other ships did.

I'm just off the Crown, and there was nothing done by the ship, but I understand the timing was off by two days. On Friday night, I went out to the Promenade Deck and said a few prayers... the Carnival Freedom, sailing with us back to Port Everglades, was fully lit up in the distance. It was quite pretty.

After traveling home all day, last night my 15 year old stayed up to watch the movie. She actually sent herself an "outlook" reminder in 2008, to watch on the 100th anniversary. She didn't need the reminder, but forgot she had sent it. It was a pretty cool surprise when it came in! "Mom, I sent this to myself when I was 11! " (Just as a reminder to all reading this thread, we have been to the Halifax maritime museum twice to see the Titanic Exhibit, have see the traveling Titanic exhibition 3 times in two different cities, have been to the cemetary in Halifax where some casualties were laid to rest, and my daughter must have 6 or 7 books on the disaster.) Watching the movie last night, for her, was the way she chose to honor the 100th anniversary of that tragic event.

God bless all the deceased, and their families who lost them. God bless the souls of the survivors, because their lives were forever changed by that horrible night. And God bless the thousands of wonderful people in the many cities and countries, who came to the aid in the hours, days and months following the disaster.

just curious why you would think they would do anything on this voyage when they come back on the morning of the 14th which has no significance to the Titanic disaster. Titanic was still happily afloat and steaming toward New York on the morning of April 14, 1912 until quite late that night when they struck the 'berg.

... because we were on the ship on the 100th anniversary of the sailing of the Titanic.

If the Captain chose not to specifically "address" the anniversary of the sinking, I thought an option would be to honor the sailing...

Congrats on your wedding!

Nauticalcities dot com is holding an interesting tribute to the Titanic today. All their tickers have been changed to the Titanic for today. You might have to re-enable signatures to see them on those folks who use their tickers (like me!)...

Hi All

Without TITANIC there would have not been SOLAS,

OK at some point there would have been another sinking with thousands of inocents paying for the mistakes of others,

those who died on the Titanic made travel by sea safer,

those who died on the Concordia will to ensure the cruising will be safer still in the years to come.

Its just such a pity that man kind needs such loss of life to safety ahead of profit.

yours Shogun

Archived