Should Princess honor the Titanic sailing, and if so, how?

Terry in NJ

Well the Titanic sinking is more prominent for a number of reasons - first of all, the division of classes and the fact that so many of the third class were lost while so many of the first class survived - the families of the lost of third class would not call the publication of this a media stunt. At the time it was one of the most glaring example of class divisions and it's impression was felt for many years. Second, being a British built ship, the sinking really started the downward spiral of the British empire - soon the country would be devoured by two great wars. Queen Victoria had died a few years before and then Titanic - the great Great Britain was now suspect. And third, Titanic was a fine example of how the perception that man had triumphed over nature was a folly. Titanic proved that a "practically unsinkable" ship was not and that society needed to be prepared for the worst rather than feeling above it all.

Titanic sinking on her maiden voyage is part of what keeps the story alive, but Lusitania was sunk long after her maiden voyage and anyone who appreciates shipping history has an affinity for that incident as well. Normandie. Rex. They all have their important stories.

As for a ceremony, the Captain calling the ship to a minute of silence seems appropriate.

<Applauds heavily> :D

Hi Ginny! A small world indeed! I grew up in Belmar and went to St. Rose Grammar and High Schools. The rooftop arcade is no longer there. You wouldn't recognize Belmar. They decided to make it more sedate and less 'party'. How long ago did you live in Neptune?

Not since 1986, though I have been back to visit when DH was in the Navy Reserves and did annual training at Earl, which is the base near Freehold. The last time was in 2005, and I was surprised at what was still there, like the indoor flea market and Pete & Elda's pizza.

Are you a court reporter? I work at a court reporting company. :rolleyes:

I am a divorce attorney but know many court reporters.... the laptop in the picture represents the time I spend on message boards, especially CC!

Not since 1986, though I have been back to visit when DH was in the Navy Reserves and did annual training at Earl, which is the base near Freehold. The last time was in 2005, and I was surprised at what was still there, like the indoor flea market and Pete & Elda's pizza.

Oh my gosh, we LOVE their Pizza !! Live in Tinton Falls, a hop, skip and a jump from Neptune !

WE leave in 8 days ! Very excited. Have no plans in Curacao, will probably just walk around... have never been there before. As far as Aruba, going to Palm Beach, Butterfly Farm and HOPEFULLY will squeeze in the Lighthouse, not far from Palm Beach, for some sightseeing and Picture taking.

Oh my gosh, we LOVE their Pizza !! Live in Tinton Falls, a hop, skip and a jump from Neptune !

WE leave in 8 days ! Very excited. Have no plans in Curacao, will probably just walk around... have never been there before. As far as Aruba, going to Palm Beach, Butterfly Farm and HOPEFULLY will squeeze in the Lighthouse, not far from Palm Beach, for some sightseeing and Picture taking.

I try to get to Pete and Elda's several times a year. Lately, I've been going on Monday nights, with a few friends, after a meeting we go to. Yummy! Have a great cruise, neighbor.

I am a divorce attorney but know many court reporters.... the laptop in the picture represents the time I spend on message boards, especially CC!

I'm a paralegal and if I had to do divorce exclusively (we do some), I'd probably go insane. You have my undying admiration for being able to deal with the drama, emotion and tensions involved in family practice.

I love the pictures you post. I'm not all that patient or talented!

I'm a paralegal and if I had to do divorce exclusively (we do some), I'd probably go insane. You have my undying admiration for being able to deal with the drama, emotion and tensions involved in family practice.

I love the pictures you post. I'm not all that patient or talented!

Ah yes, litigating human misery, as we call it. When it does get to me though, I have to remind myself, "you didn't want to go into corporate law because you thought it would be too BORING, remember?" :rolleyes: Careful what you wish for LOL

It will be interesting to see if they do anything on the 15th for the Titanic. We'll also be onboard on Friday the 13th. Woo hoo, look out, double jeopardy, lol. Can't wait! :D

There was a woman a few days ago commenting that she was begining her trip on the 13th, Costa Concordaia incident and was going to be at sea on the 14th, when Titanic actually hit the iceburg, and also on the 15th when Titanic actually sunk. She was commenting would the trip be safe?

So Princess did not have anything on the schedule for the next few sailings specifically the Crown on the 7th?

Just the Transatlantic crossings?

(Insert sad face here.)

Thanks again for contacting them and the update.

just curious why you would think they would do anything on this voyage when they come back on the morning of the 14th which has no significance to the Titanic disaster. Titanic was still happily afloat and steaming toward New York on the morning of April 14, 1912 until quite late that night when they struck the 'berg.

I don't know if anything will or should be done because of the Titanic anniversary, but they should certainly blow the horn and send up a flair in honor of your wedding! :-)

Agreed! Can we send that in writing to Princess? We didn't plan it but we think it is amazing that we will be married at sea exactly 100 years after this historic, yet horrific event.

Yes the Titanic was a tragedy, so is any ship going down with lost lives. I agree that the Titanic is totally hyped. Hollywood loves disasters because they can make money on it. I am NOT against making money, I am against the Hollywood phonies.

Yes the Titanic was a tragedy, so is any ship going down with lost lives. I agree that the Titanic is totally hyped. Hollywood loves disasters because they can make money on it. I am NOT against making money, I am against the Hollywood phonies.

While Hollywood is more about entertainment than history, I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with artistic license as long as it is plainly identified as such.

Calling Hollywood "phony" is kind of like calling fiction "lying"... it is not always meant to be real.

I agree. I don't understand the obsession with it. 2 museums just opened, one in Southampton and the other in Belfast. Anyone with even the most vague link is being dragged out of the woodwork...it has been done to death.

For those interested in all things Titanic there is a brand new James Cameron special airing tonight on the National Geographic Channel at 8pm EST with a re-airing at 11pm EST.

SEE HERE

AND HERE

I'll take a peek at the show but it seems to me it's just a special to push his new movie release. I don't possible see how there could be any new information.

I'll take a peek at the show but it seems to me it's just a special to push his new movie release. I don't possible see how there could be any new information.

Didn't know that the Titanic had such a pronounced port list as it flooded. I thought it sank more or less 'even' as it went down by the bow. I also wasn't aware that after Titanic split and the bow sunk that the aft section heeled so far over to port almost rolling over and did not stand vertical as shown in movies, artist impressions, and first hand reports. Nor had I ever heard of the 'down blast' effect. All new to me. :D

I think it's time to just let it go. To me, having a memorial service honoring those who lost their lives on the Titanic on April 15th while you are currently on board your cruise ship would be akin to United Airlines and American Airlines hosting an in-flight memorial service on 9/11 to honor those who lost their lives during that tragedy. I am a fearful flyer to begin with, so the last thing I'd want is a memorial service while in-flight to remember that people died while flying, :eek:and perhaps a lot of people are somewhat fearful of cruising and don't wish to be reminded that ships sink while they are currently at sea. There are many places one can honor those who have died, but I don't think the memorial should necessarily take place at the venue or vessel of which such tragedy occurred.

perhaps a lot of people are somewhat fearful of cruising and don't wish to be reminded that ships sink while they are currently at sea.

Then what are they doing aboard a cruise ship in the first place? If they're that fearful of sailing they'd be better off an an all inclusive resort but then it would probably involve flying which they're probably also fearful of. :rolleyes:

Then what are they doing aboard a cruise ship in the first place? If they're that fearful of sailing they'd be better off an an all inclusive resort but then it would probably involve flying which they're probably also fearful of. :rolleyes:

A lot of people I know have expressed reluctance to cruise and they felt they HAD to accompany their spouse and children on a cruise as not to be a spoil sport yet were/are very afraid of water. They gave in to their family's wish of going on a cruise, be it a family cruise, a spouse or a reunion-type cruise. As for my co-worker, her husband has been wanting her to go on a cruise for years. She is very afraid of the water, can't swim, but she finally gave in to him and was very reluctant the whole time she was at sea. She was also scared most of the time, so worried about the boat capsizing, et cet. When the Costa Concordia disaster happened, first thing she said to me is, "I will NEVER go on a cruise again." Yes, irrational maybe to you and me, but nonetheless it reinforced what she had always feared... that bad things can happen while at sea.

My husband's boss had never wanted to cruise. His wife desired to cruise. He was finally convinced to go "for the sake of the children and the family," only to not enjoy the cruising experience at all due to his fear of boats, water and also, not being able to swim.

For those of us who love cruising, big deal, but there are people on cruises who aren't exactly thrilled with being there. Hate to burst your bubble. I also am scared to death while flying; it's an irrational fear but I keep going to not give in to my fear -- but if I were reminded of a plane crash while aboard a flight then I might lose it altogether. I seriously doubt the airlines would show a movie like "Airport" while on board as much as a cruiseline would show Poseidon Adventure to its passengers, so why remind everyone of a disaster at sea WHILE at sea, so to answer your question of why would someone cruise if they are afraid? There are many reasons, but those are only a couple examples that hopefully will enlighten you.

Archived