Should Princess honor the Titanic sailing, and if so, how?

Terry in NJ

I think some of you are missing the point. April 15, 2012 is the 100th Anniversary of the Sinking of the Titanic - only the Titanic, no other ship sank that day.

I doubt any of the cruise ships will do anything to commemorate the occasion but it will be interesting to see if any do. It'll be my last of 10 days on the Emerald, we disembark the next day on the 16th.

After reading all the posts, I do like the ideas of a simple honor.

A small note in the Patter sounds perfect...

A wreath, maybe sounding the horn, and one flare. (I'm sorry, I still like my one flare. :o.)

We have gone to see the Titanic Exhibit twice in Philadelphia and once in NYC. There are small openings in the plexiglas protecting the hull that was brought up from the wreckage. You are able to touch a piece of the Titanic. I must say it was quite heart wrenching and I was able to say prayers for all the lost. It's bringing tears to my eyes thinking about it.

My daughter and I have also gone to the cemetary in Halifax in which many of the lost are buried. More solemn prayers. So my wanting to be a part of a small memorial is a little selfish for myself and my daughter.

We are departing the Crown on the 14th, but will be on the ship on the 10th, the anniversary of the sailing. If there won't be anything by Princess either the 10th or the morning of the 14th, I will do my own little thing.

Thanks again for indulging this thought.

Hi There

My view a small item in the patter this day 100 years ago...

Then at an agreed time a wreath should be placed on the sea

for all those who have lost their lives at sea.

Folk can watch if they want but not turned into a big event,

yours Shogun

Beautiful......

When there has been a musician onboard who plays the pan flute (i.e. Crown Princess in January), I request the theme from Titanic - "My Heart Will Go On". Some have been reluctant to play the piece that is associated with the disastrous sinking of the vessel. I think that a public remembrance of the ill-fated Titanic would probably be met with similar resistance by crew, staff, and passengers. jmo

Chris

I find this ironic because when we sailed on CB in 2006 not only did they show the movie Titanic at M.U.T.S. they also showed the Poseidon Adventure and Jaws.

While I understand and respect your question, I do not think that any sort of ship's organized onboard remembrance would be appropriate.

I think it should be left up to the individual about whether they want to remember the date of the Titanic tragedy in a private manner but not as a public event. If there was a public event organized onboard I would just choose to not attend and remember it privately.

That's just my thoughts and others may feel differently.

On the QE2 in April of 2008 we sailed over the Titanic site right around noon of April 15.... there was a ceremony and a wreath was thrown overboard to honor those lost on the fateful day. There was nothing inappropriate about it.

So did I, they said they would blow the ships horn 1517 times (once for each soul) at the time it sank, 2:20am.

Hmm.

This from the member who replied to fun things to do on the ship...

... and posted about wheelchair races and auctioning off the cabin contents of the previous week's deceased cruisers...

Hmm.

Hi terry

Princess came back to me after a few hours requesting details of which ships,

will up date you when I hear more

yours Shogun

Ya, I am sure there is nothing really planned, but some ships may have something that they will do.

This would be a wonderful idea. I can't think of a better remembrance. :confused:

Me too, particularly at 2:00 a.m.

I have always been fascinated by the story of the Titanic. On two recent Canada/NE cruises I was fortunate enough to visit both the Maritime Museum and the cemetery in Halifax. I seriously considered one of the commemorative cruises that are specifically going to the site on April 15th. I believe I read of two.

I decided to go on a Panama Canal cruise with my sister and we will be on the Zuiderdam on April 15th. I, for one, hope that they DO commemorate the date in some manner. I do like Shogun's suggestion as well as Terry in NJ (hi from Belmar, NJ, by the way). Think I'll wander over to HAL and see if anything's posted there.

By the way, basically every cruise I've been on has mentioned the Titanic at some point. Generally in a light manner (like when Drew Murdoch was our CD - get the connection?), but there has always been mention.

Also, I would like to see the ORIGINAL Titanic movie, not the contrived modern version.

Maureen

Me too, particularly at 2:00 a.m.

I have always been fascinated by the story of the Titanic. On two recent Canada/NE cruises I was fortunate enough to visit both the Maritime Museum and the cemetery in Halifax. I seriously considered one of the commemorative cruises that are specifically going to the site on April 15th. I believe I read of two.

I do like Shogun's suggestion as well as Terry in NJ (hi from Belmar, NJ, by the way).

Maureen

Hi Maureen, you're about 25 miles east of me down 195!

YES, We've done the Maritime Museum in Halifax twice also. It's very cool.

So Princess did not have anything on the schedule for the next few sailings specifically the Crown on the 7th?

Just the Transatlantic crossings?

(Insert sad face here.)

Thanks again for contacting them and the update.

I couldn't agree more. The Titanic just gets more P.R. from the media which is why it sticks out in our minds more than other equally large maritime disasters. When you think about it is there a better headline than an unsinkable ship sinking on its maiden voyage. It’s all about selling news papers and movies.

IMHO, much too much fuss has always been made of the Titanic sinking. Lots of ships sank and lots of people died at sea during that era. The only reason that we make so much fuss about the Titanic is that it sank on its maiden voyage. If it had sank on voyage 2 or voyage 10, nobody would really care much or even remember the ship.

DON

Well the Titanic sinking is more prominent for a number of reasons - first of all, the division of classes and the fact that so many of the third class were lost while so many of the first class survived - the families of the lost of third class would not call the publication of this a media stunt. At the time it was one of the most glaring example of class divisions and it's impression was felt for many years. Second, being a British built ship, the sinking really started the downward spiral of the British empire - soon the country would be devoured by two great wars. Queen Victoria had died a few years before and then Titanic - the great Great Britain was now suspect. And third, Titanic was a fine example of how the perception that man had triumphed over nature was a folly. Titanic proved that a "practically unsinkable" ship was not and that society needed to be prepared for the worst rather than feeling above it all.

Titanic sinking on her maiden voyage is part of what keeps the story alive, but Lusitania was sunk long after her maiden voyage and anyone who appreciates shipping history has an affinity for that incident as well. Normandie. Rex. They all have their important stories.

As for a ceremony, the Captain calling the ship to a minute of silence seems appropriate.

Hi All

Princess did not give me an answer to my question ,

ie are they doing anything to mark the Titanic,

as the reply onlt talked about talks that two ships were doing

so possible ships may do there own thing,

however Princess did tell me that the minutes silence for any event,

is down to the Captain, in the past such events did not work well

and as such are not a company instruction.

yours Shogun

We sailed on the Grand Princess on a Transatlantic cruise two years ago. We were less than 100 miles from where the Titanic sank on her 98th anniversary of the sinking. There was no mention of the tragedy. No lectures, no movies, no mention.

I was born and raised one town over, in Neptune... but I used to go to the arcade with rooftop miniature golf on Ocean Avenue.

Small world :o

Hi Ginny! A small world indeed! I grew up in Belmar and went to St. Rose Grammar and High Schools. The rooftop arcade is no longer there. You wouldn't recognize Belmar. They decided to make it more sedate and less 'party'. How long ago did you live in Neptune?

I don't know what the cruise line should do (if anything) but our roll call is going to assemble on the evening of the 15th to toast those lost. Once that's through, we'll go into celebration mode to celebrate my wedding that day and another cruisers birthday.

I don't know if anything will or should be done because of the Titanic anniversary, but they should certainly blow the horn and send up a flair in honor of your wedding! :-)

Archived