Carnival Cruise Etiquette 101

picklebongo

I noted that everybody wouldn't agree with this, but...don't you think it's different when you are dining than when you are sitting at the bar having a drink by yourself? But people do buy a round of drink for folks at the bar, or has this custom gone by the wayside too?

yes it has because it is too expensive.

and fwiw.. there is no way I am sharing wine with anyone but my spouse....we shared once on our honeymoon because we thought this was good ettiquette and we very uncomfortable with it..but did it anyway...

come to think of it we were very uncomfortable with the other couple at the table and should have asked to be moved, but that was back in the day of the smaller ships, midnight buffets and no specialty dining venues and least of all tables for 2.....

glad things have changed....

Unfortunately, the courts would not help me. They tell me I can't just decided I can't handle him. They consider that abandonment and I could be charged with child abandonment. I know, I know, this sounds rediculous, and I have gone thru my 'shock' on hearing this. And yes, I do have a younger daughter, and it is very difficult for her. I have to focus on her, and I am. My son is currently living with a grandparent. But if for some reason that doesn't work out, he will have to come back to me. I agree he has to want to get well, and right now the only thing on his mind is having fun, cuz 'that's what teenagers do'.

This is going to sound very mean but the next time he comes to your house under the influence and starts trouble call the police and press charges. You need to follow through and demand the police take action.Tell the police you are terrified and he threatened you and your daughte.r Do it each and every time he acts out. Even if he just yells and creats a scene. Call the law. The judge will eventually have to find a different solution that washing his/her hands of the problem. Perhaps the right residential treatment center can save him but it gets harder and harder the older they get.

I dislike when people use elevators to go up or down only 1 floor (perfectly healthy and young people).

My wife and I vow to always take the stairs, but there are times you need to use the elevator when needing to go up or down 8 levels. So when i see people going up or down 1 floor, I want to explode

And how do you know they are perfectly healthy? Just because they look young? :rolleyes:

You should never assume. And really too bad. If they want to take the elevator for one floor so be it. People here love to make up BS rules to suit them. If you don't like being around people that aren't going to behave like you then stay home.

And BTW I am young and look "perfectly healthy" but I'm not and at times have trouble walking long distances so I will take the elevator to go up or down one floor. I think it says something about you that you feel the need to judge about something when you don't know anything.

It would be alot better place if people would mind their own business and worry only about themselves and the people they are with.

You and Me both! LOL

HOw about in the correct direction too? When first on a ship,,after a beer or 6, I seem to always get mixed up which direcito is the pointy end,,,and will inevitably at least once go the wrong way trying to get to my destination.

I hear the Splendor is sort of a large ship,,can't wait for the hallway workout.

Rule #22 Section A. Code 1001.23876:

Stop making threads that deliberately try to create drama.

So true! It seems some people repeatedly create threads to stir the pot then act like we should feel sorry for them when people say things they don't like.

Unfortunately, the courts would not help me. They tell me I can't just decided I can't handle him. They consider that abandonment and I could be charged with child abandonment. I know, I know, this sounds rediculous, and I have gone thru my 'shock' on hearing this. And yes, I do have a younger daughter, and it is very difficult for her. I have to focus on her, and I am. My son is currently living with a grandparent. But if for some reason that doesn't work out, he will have to come back to me. I agree he has to want to get well, and right now the only thing on his mind is having fun, cuz 'that's what teenagers do'.

Bless your heart...that is awful. You gave this child a home and hope and that is how it turns out. Have you thought of military school? I know they are expensive but maybe you can get some financial aid.

Believe me...I have done a lot of research about military schools/boarding schools, etc. Even with financial aid, unless they pay in full, there is no way I could afford it. And NONE, not one, will accept a kid that doesn't want to be there. They could walk out at any time.

And thanks, I really thought I was doing a GOOD thing when I took him and his holder brother (now 18) in. I couldn't have kids of my own and thought this was the answer. I'm not saying all situations are like this, but this has been a nightmare. His older brother completely rebelled, too, tried to commit suicide, threatened us with weapons, etc. The 'system' would not get involved unless of course we hit him (which we didn't). We put him in treatment foster care, and he walked out. They cannot hold them there. Since we wouldn't let him come home, he went to a teen homeless shelter till they kicked him out. Then he found someone else that would take him in. He has lived there ever since, and has been pretty much independant. He has thrived there, since he doesn't have to answer to anybody but himself. He has a full time job, straight A student and is going to the Naval Academy next year. He is already enlisted in the Marines. I am very proud of him, although I had nothing to do with all of it. I haven't heard from him or seen him other than Christmas for 2 years. His choice, not mine. He will not give me his contact info. I just pray for him, that's all I can do at this point.

This is going to sound very mean but the next time he comes to your house under the influence and starts trouble call the police and press charges. You need to follow through and demand the police take action.Tell the police you are terrified and he threatened you and your daughte.r Do it each and every time he acts out. Even if he just yells and creats a scene. Call the law. The judge will eventually have to find a different solution that washing his/her hands of the problem. Perhaps the right residential treatment center can save him but it gets harder and harder the older they get.

Believe me...I have done a lot of research about military schools/boarding schools, etc. Even with financial aid, unless they pay in full, there is no way I could afford it. And NONE, not one, will accept a kid that doesn't want to be there. They could walk out at any time.

And thanks, I really thought I was doing a GOOD thing when I took him and his holder brother (now 18) in. I couldn't have kids of my own and thought this was the answer. I'm not saying all situations are like this, but this has been a nightmare. His older brother completely rebelled, too, tried to commit suicide, threatened us with weapons, etc. The 'system' would not get involved unless of course we hit him (which we didn't). We put him in treatment foster care, and he walked out. They cannot hold them there. Since we wouldn't let him come home, he went to a teen homeless shelter till they kicked him out. Then he found someone else that would take him in. He has lived there ever since, and has been pretty much independant. He has thrived there, since he doesn't have to answer to anybody but himself. He has a full time job, straight A student and is going to the Naval Academy next year. He is already enlisted in the Marines. I am very proud of him, although I had nothing to do with all of it. I haven't heard from him or seen him other than Christmas for 2 years. His choice, not mine. He will not give me his contact info. I just pray for him, that's all I can do at this point.

..please tell me you are just playing with us.....

I would have had these 2 bozo brothers arrested at first threat to me...and pressed charges.....

what you are posting is utterly ridiculous.....

Yes I noticed. It is so sad when you hear/read about the broken children in our own backyard (US) and realize parents are at their wits end with no one to help them. The juvenile/court systems are overwhelmed in some. areas. Unfortunately these broken kids usually grow up to be very broken adults and their grown-up actions become everyones business.

They will not charge him with anything unless he breaks the law, and they don't consider this behavior breaking the law. I have cried/screamed/demanded etc that the police do SOMETHING. But the laws in NM are not very 'parent' friendly. There is no back up for parenting. I have gotten no help at all. And treatment centers will not take a child that is not willing to stay there. He would be up and gone the second I drop him off.

And how do you know they are perfectly healthy? Just because they look young? :rolleyes:

You should never assume. And really too bad. If they want to take the elevator for one floor so be it. People here love to make up BS rules to suit them. If you don't like being around people that aren't going to behave like you then stay home.

And BTW I am young and look "perfectly healthy" but I'm not and at times have trouble walking long distances so I will take the elevator to go up or down one floor. I think it says something about you that you feel the need to judge about something when you don't know anything.

It would be alot better place if people would mind their own business and worry only about themselves and the people they are with.

thats very true! if you look at me you see a young girl! you cant SEE that ive had arthritis since i was 15 and that maybe my ankles are sore and i have to take the elevator because its bothering me!

..please tell me you are just playing with us.....

I would have had these 2 bozo brothers arrested at first threat to me...and pressed charges.....

what you are posting is utterly ridiculous.....

nope, not playing, and I agree. rediculous! I have tried to get them arrested for their threats, many times. Juvenile law is so messed up. They won't arrest them because they did not follow through. I begged, pleaded, contacted child services, adult servies, etc. I said I was trying to prevent becoming another statistic of an adoptive placement gone VERY bad. They don't care.

Yes I noticed. It is so sad when you hear/read about the broken children in our own backyard (US) and realize parents are at their wits end with no one to help them. The juvenile/court systems are overwhelmed in some. areas. Unfortunately these broken kids usually grow up to be very broken adults and their grown-up actions become everyones business.

I actually deleted most of my comments regarding this kid

one thing for sure though..and as I have always said...don't let the kids roam the ship because there are 3000 strangers there

[quote name='mamaskittles']Yes I noticed. It is so sad when you hear/read about the broken children in our own backyard (US) and realize parents are at their wits end with no one to help them. The juvenile/court systems are overwhelmed in some. areas. Unfortunately these broken kids usually grow up to be very broken adults and their grown-up actions become everyones business.[/quote]

I agree totally that is why I have done everything in my power to try to get him help. Unfortunately unless he wants help it is not going to do any good. I used to think that child/teen behavior is the fault of the parent, but I no longer believe that. I have done everything I can as a parent, but my situation is different, and for others who do not know my situation it may look like I have not done my job as a parent.

[quote name='luvcruisetime']nope, not playing, and I agree. rediculous! I have tried to get them arrested for their threats, many times. Juvenile law is so messed up. They won't arrest them because they did not follow through. I begged, pleaded, contacted child services, adult servies, etc. I said I was trying to prevent becoming another statistic of an adoptive placement gone VERY bad. They don't care.[/quote]
then you have my sympathy

[quote name='lizjoemom']Wow. This thread has really gone off the rails on subject. Wasnt it about etiquette?[/quote]

Gosh! I am so sorry. I did NOT mean to hijack this thread. I can't believe it went this far. I'm just under a lot of stress and somehow picked this thread to get if off my chest. SOOO not my intention. I'm done now. Pleae carry on.

[quote name='luvcruisetime']Gosh! I am so sorry. I did NOT mean to hijack this thread. I can't believe it went this far. I'm just under a lot of stress and somehow picked this thread to get if off my chest. SOOO not my intention. I'm done now. Pleae carry on.[/quote]

Dont apologize! its just a dumb thread, so sorry for all your problems. God bless.

[quote name='luvcruisetime']Gosh! I am so sorry. I did NOT mean to hijack this thread. I can't believe it went this far. I'm just under a lot of stress and somehow picked this thread to get if off my chest. SOOO not my intention. I'm done now. Pleae carry on.[/quote]

Wow....I really hope you get the help you need. Seems like it is against the law for underage kid to drink, and drugs are illegal...

hope you get some help from counselors or just call the cops and have him arrested

Hang in there...sounds like you need a cruise away from this kid! Maybe get a counselor for YOU????

[quote name='sharecruises']Wow....I really hope you get the help you need. Seems like it is against the law for underage kid to drink, and drugs are illegal...

hope you get some help from counselors or just call the cops and have him arrested

Hang in there...sounds like you need a cruise away from this kid! Maybe get a counselor for YOU????[/quote]

He has to be caught to get arrested. I caught him once in posession, and he did get charged with that, but only had to go to a 2 hour drug class. the cops wouldn't do anything if he was just 'under the influence' and did not have anything in posession.

I do need a cruise! That would be good therapy. Anybody want to start a 'fund'???:eek: Just kidding.

Archived