Carnival Cruise Etiquette 101

picklebongo

Why are two people getting into an already jammed packed elevator?

Etiquette dictates if elevator is full, wait for the next one.

I totally agree with you on this one. You can't imagine the number of times on my last cruise that somebody asked if there was room for one more or two and they crammed their bodies in. What can ya say?

Is rule 3a. "If you order a cocktail at a bar, consider buying one for the stranger next to you, it's just good etiquette."?

I noted that everybody wouldn't agree with this, but...don't you think it's different when you are dining than when you are sitting at the bar having a drink by yourself? But people do buy a round of drink for folks at the bar, or has this custom gone by the wayside too?

I dislike when people use elevators to go up or down only 1 floor (perfectly healthy and young people).

My wife and I vow to always take the stairs, but there are times you need to use the elevator when needing to go up or down 8 levels. So when i see people going up or down 1 floor, I want to explode

how would you know they were healthy? my knee acts up at times and i cannot use stairs, and you would never know it.

One more: Young children should not be in the Hot Tubs! Or if they are, not for long. It's not healthy & could cause them problems. Many parents don't know this, just a warning.

good thing the real hot tubs are in the spas.

For all of you early to bed early to risers

please remember just as you want us to be courtious at 3am when we get in , :mad: we would like you to be just as quiet at 6 am getting up and going to breakfast with your kids. Last thing you want is to woke up at that time in morning when your hung over :rolleyes: , I am on vacation too:D and may not get up until noon.

I noted that everybody wouldn't agree with this, but...don't you think it's different when you are dining than when you are sitting at the bar having a drink by yourself? But people do buy a round of drink for folks at the bar, or has this custom gone by the wayside too?

I guess it depends. A bottle of wine costs $30.00. There are 6 people at the table and the bottle of wine has about 4 glasses. Should I buy 2 bottles of wine to make sure there is enough for everyone? Not trying to be wise guy, just trying to understand if I should spend $60 plus dollars for a glass of wine every night.

Okay ... Could someone please post a whole list of everything we should and should not do so I can print it up and carry it with me on all my future cruises?

It seems some of us are morons and need step by step instructions.

Maybe they could also wear a sign saying they are repeat cruisers so that we can tip toe around them? ;)

For all of you early to bed early to risers

please remember just as you want us to be courtious at 3am when we get in , :mad: we would like you to be just as quiet at 6 am getting up and going to breakfast with your kids. Last thing you want is to woke up at that time in morning when your hung over :rolleyes: , I am on vacation too:D and may not get up until noon.

I agree!!! :D

Speaking of hallways, try not to walk right smack in the middle when people are approaching.

This doesn't just happen on ships, I see it ALL the time on sidewalks, grocery store aisles and footpaths. It seems to be the new trend when there are 2 or more in a group. We've always tried to be courteous when we see others approaching and will go "single file" (something I learned in PRE-SCHOOL), but others refuse to stay to the right or budge.

Common courtesy, although I still see it occasionally, seems to be a thing of the past, lost on the "me, me, me" attitude of today's world.

#1 When you get to an evelvator and you see someone handicapped waiting, They were there first, let them on!!!!!

#2..When an elevator arrives, let people OFF before you go jamming on!!!!

These are not HARD to follow...even if it is YOUR vacation and no one can tell you what to do!!!

I guess I recall encountering most of the things people have mentioned here at one time or another. BUT as others have said, we encounter this stuff EVERYDAY, gotta just let it go, plus no one is perfect. I'm sure we have all caught ourselves in the middle of an etiquette breech at some point, maybe because we just weren't paying attention, were extremely excited, etc..

I TRY to overlook the little annoying stuff and if something is a HUGE deal, then maybe do something about it.

On that note, my addition to the list is: Please don't flush anything foreign down the toilet, it can cause big problems for everyone:eek: lol

You are absolutely right, virturally every "etiquette expectation" are simple every day courtesy norms that many people seem to abandon on a ship.

these same people abandon them in every day life also, not just on a ship:p

YES it has

I don't agree with share the wine

I cruise mostly with other singles/solos...we get a bottle wine per cabin or per person as a perk....we also bring on our own bottle of wine...and we long ago stopped trying to share it, just does not work out fair

I have a couple people who do not drink alcohol and if they are cruising we get "their" bottle and I share it with the table, and I buy them some "specialty coffees" or non alcohol drink/s.

I have the ones don't drink "mule" on some champagne (cheap) or wine for me to share with the tables but I do NOT expect the cruisers to share their own wine. We tried it a few times and it causes hard feelings, some people like to have half a glass and make their bottles last, some fill er up

as far as sharing wine with people at the table with you (fixed seating dining) that you don't even know:>? NO way

Maybe if you have a bottle of champagne you win at a show or contest...but with the price of wine on Carnival I say NO way should you be expected to share it

Everyone has their own sign and sail card...buy your own JMO

3.If you order a bottle of wine, consider sharing with the other diners. (I know some will disagree with this, but to me this is just good etiquette.)

I guess I should have just taken my share of the champagne from the couple at my table who were celebrating their 1-year anniversary. Also, how dare they not have shared a slice of the cake that a non-cruising family member had surprised them with!

5. If you are on the Lido, where alot of folks are circling with their trays trying to find a spot to sit and eat, please consider vacating your spot if you are playing cards, dominoes or reading a book. There are lots of other areas for activities such as this.

I always remain at the table reading once I'm finished eating and the dishes have been clear away. I'm not a sit in the sun or by the pool person but I enjoy spending lots of time on the Lido deck. Each and every time someone has eventually ask if they could share the table with me or I've offered people who are passing by a chair and I've met several friends that way.

when did a cruise ship become a library.

one rule: when you book a cruise, realize you are paying to share a ship. those that you share with have quirks you may not be used to.

save your rules for where you are in total control, like home. trying to instill them in public is fruitless. there are no hall moniters.

and let those enforcing the law enforce it.

Exactly. While I may agree with many of them, its futile to attempt dictating them. Really there are just 2 rules:

1) Be a respectable/decent human being

2) Realize that everyone isn't always going to follow the above. Try to enjoy your trip, and see rule 1.

Exactly. While I may agree with many of them, its futile to attempt dictating them. Really there are just 2 rules:

1) Be a respectable/decent human being

2) Realize that everyone isn't always going to follow the above. Try to enjoy your trip, and see rule 1.

How do you ever come to that realization? Did you figure it out on your own, or did you read it from a 'list'? :rolleyes:;)

Archived