Carnival Cruise Etiquette 101

picklebongo

[quote name='bobsfamily']And this has what to do with etiquette rules? Oh, that's right you got to insert the same thing over and over in other threads to continually tell us all about your bad trip...
So sorry the above is not on thread. I think that some of what the OP says has merit but as many have stated the CC family is a fraction of the cruising public. I have seen all kinds of acts of kindness and acts of stupidity... it will continue.[/QUOTE]

Her comment was that people shouldn't let their younger kids run around alone on the ship. So, yes, it was. ;)

[quote name='luckybecky']OK, so you weren't kidding. Wow.

Yes, of course we all should follow simple rules of respecting others: waiting our turn, letting people off the elevator before getting on, etc.

But some of your etiquette mandates are just silly. You don't want to hear other people's conversations. You really expect people to stop talking in elevators? Why stop there? Why not expect them to stop talking while next to you in line at the buffet, while sitting next to you in the theater waiting for the show to start, while waiting for a tender (oh, wait... you said that). OK, I agree that I don't want to hear somebody telling his companion all about his hemorrhoids, but you can't seriously expect people to just stop talking whenever they are in proximity to you.

Pick up their dominoes -- abandoning a game in progress -- because you can't find a seat? Isn't this a public space? There are etiquette rules about what you may or may not do when seated on the lido deck?

Share their wine? So if I'm at an table of 8 and want to share a bottle of wine with my hubby, I guess I have to actually buy 4 bottles so each couple can share equally with us? Are you kidding? One bottle shared amongst 8 will give each of us little more than a taste. I don't have the budget to pay for your drinks at dinner. Sorry.

Please and thank you and not saving seats or cutting in line and all that -- we agree on basic rules of civil society and being polite. But when your "rules of etiquette" extend to expecting to have my table, my wine, and my silence, then you have moved beyond etiquette to something much less noble, in my opinion.[/quote]

Could not agree with you more . Well said :)

[quote name='TEXASMUNK']#1 When you get to an evelvator and you see someone handicapped waiting, They were there first, let them on!!!!!
#2..When an elevator arrives, let people OFF before you go jamming on!!!!

These are not HARD to follow...even if it is YOUR vacation and no one can tell you what to do!!![/quote]

That is so hard for people to understand - our last cruise on the Dream my father is in a wheelchair and many people jumped in front of him for elevators - just crazy?? Even our group that was with him took the stairs as long as 1 person was with him on the elevator - just rude We have the option of stairs he doesn't

[QUOTE=grozas;33079661

This becomes more difficult with large tables of 10-12. But with small tables of 4-6, I was taught it was quite rude not to offer wine to your table mates. We are not talking about getting them sauced.[/QUOTE]

This is just my way of thinking, but to me it would be rude to accept someones (potentially) expensive wine just because they felt it was bad form not to offer me any. If anyone but a close friend offered me some of their wine at a communal table, I would decline.
A side note, this is a non issue for us, as I would prefer to eat at the buffet or in my room than to sit at anything other than a two top. I love socializing, just not with strangers while I am trying to enjoy dinner with my husband.

[quote name='luvcruisetime']Unfortunately, once the adoption is finalized, the services go away. At least in my state. They are working on a program to support adoptive families, but it's simply a support group kind of thing, where families get together and commiserate and share stories. While this can be good, and I might get good ideas from people that have been thru it, my experience has been that they sympathize, but don't have any answers or ideas as to what I can do. They have been thru it and all they can say is hang in there, he will turn 18 eventually. That does not help me now. He has been in counseling for years. Doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot of good.[/QUOTE]

I am so sorry. I hope it won't offend you if I remember your situation in my prayers. I have a great deal of respect for what you are trying to do.

Sorry to take over the thread....didn't mean to be rude on a thread about manners. :o If people don't want to follow suggestions, it it their right. I think it is a good thread to make others aware of things that bother others. Follow it if you want, don't if you don't. I think understanding someone else's perspective is helpful in widening my horizons. If my husband sees an older woman standing while we are waiting for a table at a restaurant, he always gets up and offers it to her. We teach our kids to get up if an older person needs a seat. That is how we roll. lol Doesn't mean we can force you to do the same. Maybe the better way to look at this thread is ways to be GRACIOUS if you want to be. Of course, no one can force you not to have bawdy conversations, pass gas, or push into an elevator, but some folks would be happier if you didn't. ;)

[quote name='La professora']I am so sorry. I hope it won't offend you if I remember your situation in my prayers. I have a great deal of respect for what you are trying to do.
[/quote]

thank you! and definitely wouldn't offend me, I need all the prayers I can get :)

[quote name='luvcruisetime']Unfortunately, once the adoption is finalized, the services go away. At least in my state. They are working on a program to support adoptive families, but it's simply a support group kind of thing, where families get together and commiserate and share stories. While this can be good, and I might get good ideas from people that have been thru it, my experience has been that they sympathize, but don't have any answers or ideas as to what I can do. They have been thru it and all they can say is hang in there, he will turn 18 eventually. That does not help me now. He has been in counseling for years. Doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot of good.[/quote]

So sorry you're having to go through this. I would encourage you to find an Al-Anon meeting in your area. Receiving the experience, strength and hope of others who have been where you are can be of great help and comfort.

[quote name='LuckyZ']I dislike when people use elevators to go up or down only 1 floor (perfectly healthy and young people).

My wife and I vow to always take the stairs, but there are times you need to use the elevator when needing to go up or down 8 levels. So when i see people going up or down 1 floor, I want to explode[/QUOTE]

That sounds very judgmental. First of all, you can't always tell if people are young and healthy. Plenty of people have invisible illnesses. For example, I've dealt with knee pain for years, and for the past two years I've been taking elevators up/down 1 floor. However, I look perfectly healthy, and you'd never know the difference. Also, why do you care so much if someone takes an elevator up/down 1 floor? Why should it matter??? It's none of your business and doesn't effect your life.

That sounds very judgmental. First of all, you can't always tell if people are young and healthy. Plenty of people have invisible illnesses. For example, I've dealt with knee pain for years, and for the past two years I've been taking elevators up/down 1 floor. However, I look perfectly healthy, and you'd never know the difference. Also, why do you care so much if someone takes an elevator up/down 1 floor? Why should it matter??? It's none of your business and doesn't effect your life.

Just don't talk while you're taking that short ride. :rolleyes:

I love the etiquette police. They love to tell us how they believe we should live our lives. Too bad they fail to grasp that "good etiquette" is not a fixed target to reach. On a cruise ship, you can encounter a huge array of cultures. Each of those cultures have a different standard of good etiquette. Most of us on CC are from America. America itself has hundreds different cultures all thrown together. Let me give you a few examples of things that I am sure you do not feel is bad etiquette, but another culture would feel is down right rude.

Putting your feet up on a lounger. In many Middle Eastern countries showing the bottom of your feet is one of the most insulting things you can do. You are telling anybody in front of you that they are beneath you.

Pointing with 1 finger. If you point to where the bathroom is and somebody from some south east Asian cultures happens to be in that direction, you may have just insulted them.

Keeping personal space. In many cultures the closer you stand to somebody your talking to, the more friendly you are. If you keep the 5 foot rule in effect, you are telling them you do not trust them.

The real truth of etiquette on a cruise or anywhere else is to understand that social norms are not universal. What is polite to you can be offensive to another. What is polite to another person can be offensive to you. Be patient with others and if somebody does something that bothers you, let it go. They may not believe they are doing anything wrong. If you want to have a great time on a cruise, then have a great time. Letting somebody else get under your skin will not wreak their vacation, it will only wreak yours. A cruise is what you make of it and not what the cruise line or other travelers make of it.

Also, not sure if this was already mentioned, one rule of etiquette I believe is to remember the ship is shared with many from different cultures. So things that are considered common social norms or manners may not be the same across the board. Just sayin':)

I love the etiquette police. They love to tell us how they believe we should live our lives. Too bad they fail to grasp that "good etiquette" is not a fixed target to reach. On a cruise ship, you can encounter a huge array of cultures. Each of those cultures have a different standard of good etiquette. Most of us on CC are from America. America itself has hundreds different cultures all thrown together. Let me give you a few examples of things that I am sure you do not feel is bad etiquette, but another culture would feel is down right rude.

Putting your feet up on a lounger. In many Middle Eastern countries showing the bottom of your feet is one of the most insulting things you can do. You are telling anybody in front of you that they are beneath you.

Pointing with 1 finger. If you point to where the bathroom is and somebody from some south east Asian cultures happens to be in that direction, you may have just insulted them.

Keeping personal space. In many cultures the closer you stand to somebody your talking to, the more friendly you are. If you keep the 5 foot rule in effect, you are telling them you do not trust them.

The real truth of etiquette on a cruise or anywhere else is to understand that social norms are not universal. What is polite to you can be offensive to another. What is polite to another person can be offensive to you. Be patient with others and if somebody does something that bothers you, let it go. They may not believe they are doing anything wrong. If you want to have a great time on a cruise, then have a great time. Letting somebody else get under your skin will not wreak their vacation, it will only wreak yours. A cruise is what you make of it and not what the cruise line or other travelers make of it.

Perfect! Totally agree.

Another example is flip flops. I have seen many posts telling people to dress for the MDR as if they were going to a wedding. Well in Florida, especially beach areas, people wear flip flops all the time to weddings. I wouldn't think anything of it if I saw it since its so common. But others will say it is inappropriate.

As I said earlier everyone should worry about what they can control which is themselves and stop focusing on what other people are doing. When I am on vacation unless its someone that I am traveling with I probably wont even notice.

You hit the nail on the head...

I remember years ago we would start talking about the weather when certain people started a thread... so how's it where you are?

Now the obvious question to you my friend is, if you see that I've started a thread, instead of discussing the weather, why would you even open it? This is such a no brainer.

For the others who say I'm looking for drama, when you see a thread that is started by picklebongo, you know it's something you won't like, so why do you open it? I just don't understand your thinking process.

There have been over 5,000 viewing this thread and countless responses, so some folks here are obviously interested or entertained, or whatever. I skip many threads, so why can't you? I just don't get it.

When I mentioned not carrying on a conversation in the elevator, perhaps you didn't read the entire post. I specifically said if you enter a crowded elevator and are unable to stand next to your friend/family member, it would be polite to wait and carry on your conversation in a minute instead of shouting over everybody who is a captive audience. Is this so restricting or unreasonable?

Just don't talk while you're taking that short ride. :rolleyes:

Thanks for agreeing with me Gran3. Particularly if you are at the front of the elevator and your friend is behind you in the opposite corner with lots of folks in the middle. How rude, eh!

Also, not sure if this was already mentioned, one rule of etiquette I believe is to remember the ship is shared with many from different cultures. So things that are considered common social norms or manners may not be the same across the board. Just sayin':)

this was my thought. not only cultures, but social classes as well. carnival does cater to everyone. whatever happened to tolerance. i just never thought to spend that much time worrying about etiquette.

When I mentioned not carrying on a conversation in the elevator, perhaps you didn't read the entire post. I specifically said if you enter a crowded elevator and are unable to stand next to your friend/family member, it would be polite to wait and carry on your conversation in a minute instead of shouting over everybody who is a captive audience. Is this so restricting or unreasonable?

You did not "specifically" say that.

"4.When entering an elevator that is darn near packed, please cease your conversation upon entering and resume it when you exit. Everybody doesn't want to hear what you have to say."

Nothing about not being next to your friend/family member. Sounds like you just want us to shut up. I have common sense, so I will not continue a conversation if the other person is packed in the back and I am at the front.:rolleyes:

I will not "cease" otherwise. ;)

Just imagine, a jam packed elevator, two people get on, they are not squeezed next to year other, and trying to hold a conversation over everybody else. It''s annoying and quite rude in my opinion. If one is able to hold a conversation quietly, sure, but not when you have to speak over people who aren't next to you. What could be so important that it couldn't wait until a short elevator ride is over?

Gran3 this is what I posted on the first page as a clarification right away, perhaps you missed this.

One of the things everybody has in common when they are on a ship is that they are on vacation. I thought it would be helpful for veteran cruisers to generate some general etiquette expectations for the novice cruisers.

Of course there are the obvious ones such as: no saving seats, arrive on time for dinner in the MDR, don't slam cabin doors, hands out of the buffet trays, waiting for occupants to exit the elevator before attempting to enter, etc.

I'll start by generating a few suggested etiquette expectations of cruising:

1. Don't complain while waiting in line for tenders, meals, etc. When people are on vacation, they don't want to hear your grumbling/complaining about what isn't right or what cruise line does a better job than Carnival at whatever. This is a downer. Completely agree

2.Don't cut in line or save a spot for folks, who then show up and there are ten in the party. Asking the person directly behind you if they mind doesn't count. What if the next person minds? Completely agree

3.If you order a bottle of wine, consider sharing with the other diners. (I know some will disagree with this, but to me this is just good etiquette.)Personal choice

4. When entering an elevator that is darn near packed, please cease your conversation upon entering and resume it when you exit. Everybody doesn't want to hear what you have to say. Disagree but, please don't barge into an elevator before letting those who want to get off out. Huge pet peeve of mine on any elevator.

5. If you are on the Lido, where alot of folks are circling with their trays trying to find a spot to sit and eat, please consider vacating your spot if you are playing cards, dominoes or reading a book. There are lots of other areas for activities such as this.

Disagree, those tables are not designated dining tables. Perhaps folks like to play cards, games etc while sitting outside.

Is whistling ok in an elevator? What about humming to the piped in music..or even singing along? What about actually trying to start an Elevator SingAlong?

I find the etiquette 'rule' of stony silence less tolerable than speaking, laughing, humming, etc :) Its a Fun Ship after all!

I cannot recall a single instance where I noticed how many floors up or down another given passenger was riding, lol. Not that I'd care. Maybe they are perfectly healthy...but maybe they are just plumtuckered out from all of the Fun on the Fun Ship!

Archived