Carnival Cruise Etiquette 101

picklebongo

[quote name='tiffy0428']Wait so I have to leave the nice sun, and the seat I had to circle and wait for, for someone else? I like dominoes out in the sun[/QUOTE]

Yes, if it is a mealtime - anytime else it doesn't matter:)

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple]Not to change the subject, but...our goal on a cruise is to ignore other's rudeness and enjoy our relaxation time. :eek: We never sweat the "small stuff", which is what we consider all the aforementioned "rules". So what?! When we get back to our cabin, we're stress-free, and ready to look out at the water and relax! Mind you, gotta have a balcony (wrap, hopefully!) and really live by the "don't sweat the small stuff" motto.:D[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='dolphiness']As much as I appreciate your trying! You must realize the ones doing these things are the ones going to reply with some snarky comment. The generation doing these things have been disrespecting people all thier life and are not going to take anything you say as..."oh! I've been doing this..let me stop!" They are just rude and immature and are past our help. But thanks for trying![/quote]

I appreciate your kind words. BTW, I'm from Shreveport originally.

[quote name='Sunbathing']No no one is kidding.. It is rediculous when your on vacation and spending 3 grand to be surrounded by people who act like they have never been in public. Yea sure it is stupid that people need to be reminded of the obvious but when they really dont already know, they should find out before they leave .. because when it happens on bopard I will be quick to remind you that there is a right and wrong way to behave and if your parents didnt teach I would be glad to[/quote]

Thanks so much for your comments, instead of trying to make me seem like an idiot. Some people just don't know or perhaps aren't aware, so why not just share some varying points of view.

Based on the comments about sharing wine, even though that's what I would do, I really get others point of view and I can see things from their perspective. So this is what it's about, just being considerate and at least trying to see or consider others feeling since 3000 people are on vacation and not just one individual.

[quote name='BeachChik']So true! It seems some people repeatedly create threads to stir the pot then act like we should feel sorry for them when people say things they don't like.[/quote]

You do realize that lots of folks have shared their experiences and given feedback and there is absolutely no drama. So what gives, why the negative comments? This is so uncalled for. If you don't like my threads, when you see my name, picklebongo, just ignore them.

[quote name='luvcruisetime']Gosh! I am so sorry. I did NOT mean to hijack this thread. I can't believe it went this far. I'm just under a lot of stress and somehow picked this thread to get if off my chest. SOOO not my intention. I'm done now. Pleae carry on.[/quote]

Unless someone has adopted older kids, it would be hard for them to understand the stress you are under. Sometimes you just need to vent. I've adopted two eleven-year-olds, and I totally understand. I think back to all the times they spit in our faces (yes, really), repeatedly banged their heads against the wall, hit themselves, asked us to hit them (we refused), yelled that they wanted to go back to their previous (abusive!!) families, told us we hate them, lied to us, the list goes on and on, and I am in awe of the pain they were in and the fact that we made it through. Each situation is different and yours is amazingly painful. Anyway, these kids are still a bit weak on their etiquette, and probably talk too loud in elevators and if they were to order wine they probably wouldn't share their wine with others at their table:rolleyes:....(I added that for those who want to complain that I'm off topic here.:D)

[quote name='cvpends']Unless someone has adopted older kids, it would be hard for them to understand the stress you are under. Sometimes you just need to vent. I've adopted two eleven-year-olds, and I totally understand. I think back to all the times they spit in our faces (yes, really), repeatedly banged their heads against the wall, hit themselves, asked us to hit them (we refused), yelled that they wanted to go back to their previous (abusive!!) families, told us we hate them, lied to us, the list goes on and on, and I am in awe of the pain they were in and the fact that we made it through. Each situation is different and yours is amazingly painful. Anyway, these kids are still a bit weak on their etiquette, and probably talk too loud in elevators and if they were to order wine they probably wouldn't share their wine with others at their table:rolleyes:....(I added that for those who want to complain that I'm off topic here.:D)[/quote]

Yeah and from being driven INSANE, I chose to vent on a thread that has nothing to do with my problems. I do feel bad. I want to apologize to the OP for this. There are support groups to vent to, I should never have done it here. I do thank those that have given kind words and support, though.

[quote name='luvcruisetime']Yeah and from being driven INSANE, I chose to vent on a thread that has nothing to do with my problems. I do feel bad. I want to apologize to the OP for this. There are support groups to vent to, I should never have done it here. I do thank those that have given kind words and support, though.[/QUOTE]

I can really empathize with the parents that adopted older children. My husband and I were foster parents and mentors for teens aging out of the system. Parenting at-risk children is a true labor of love <3

[quote name='BohemianDoll']I can really empathize with the parents that adopted older children. My husband and I were foster parents and mentors for teens aging out of the system. Parenting at-risk children is a true labor of love <3[/quote]

As a teacher, I agree. :) I respect you so much for it. I have not fostered children, but I have had many in class. Often, they were drug babies, and some were abused before going into placement, which is why parents are not allowed to use any kind of physical punishment. Like I said, I was not abused so when my mom popped my mouth, it was for shock value, and it worked, but many of these kids have been hit so much that they are not affected at all by a small smack, and I would never advocate more than that.

Luvcruisetime, Are there any services you receive as an adoptive parent? I know foster parents receive special services. Maybe he needs counseling, and I do hope you get to take some time for yourself. Be sure to take care of yourself. You can't "fight the good fight" if you aren't taking care of yourself. Many of us moms forget that.

For Picklebongo, I don't think this is a drama thread. I think people can make anything dramatic if they want to. I think it was a list of pet peeves. Honestly, sometimes we just don't realize when things we do are bothering other people. Other times, people just don't care. The girl who kept turning around and running her long hair across my plate was drunk, but if I had been her friends, I would have led her away from the buffet and offered to get her food. I don't think the folks who took issue with the suggestion to be quiet on the elevator understood some of the situations. For us, we were on the elevator with college kids who were having pretty raunchy conversations in front of us and my 12 year old. Even my high school football players will watch their mouths if she is around. It is just common courtesy.

[quote name='luvtheships']I actually deleted most of my comments regarding this kid

one thing for sure though..and as I have always said...don't let the kids roam the ship because there are 3000 strangers there[/quote]

Thank you for saying that. My younger daughter turned 12 a few days before our cruise. We went to check out the club for 12 - 14 year olds. When I asked where the restroom was, they said outside the club down the hall. I asked if they would go as groups every so often or if she would have to go alone. The girl who was running the club said, "They are 12. They go alone." She used a tone as if I were stupid for asking. ( I have only taught kids for about 17 years.) I told her that this was also a very big ship with lots of drunk people on board. One of the activities they had planned was a scavenger hunt where the kids run the ship without an adult to find items. I just thought that was not well thought out at all. :confused:

[quote name='La professora']Thank you for saying that. My younger daughter turned 12 a few days before our cruise. We went to check out the club for 12 - 14 year olds. When I asked where the restroom was, they said outside the club down the hall. I asked if they would go as groups every so often or if she would have to go alone. The girl who was running the club said, "They are 12. They go alone." She used a tone as if I were stupid for asking. ( I have only taught kids for about 17 years.) I told her that this was also a very big ship with lots of drunk people on board. One of the activities they had planned was a scavenger hunt where the kids run the ship without an adult to find items. I just thought that was not well thought out at all. :confused:[/quote]
And this has what to do with etiquette rules? Oh, that's right you got to insert the same thing over and over in other threads to continually tell us all about your bad trip...
So sorry the above is not on thread. I think that some of what the OP says has merit but as many have stated the CC family is a fraction of the cruising public. I have seen all kinds of acts of kindness and acts of stupidity... it will continue.

I, too, have fostered a couple of teenage boys and yes it is a challenge. Even with my own son, it was a challenge. We teach behavior and manners, but sometimes they get a mind of their own and no matter what the parent does, the kid is hell bent on breaking the rules. Nothing is cut and dry. Even small children who appear to be hellions, maybe they have an emotional issue, who knows. Not making excuses and certainly not saying that people should just tolerate a disruptive kid because he/she may have issues. I don't think there are any easy answers.
However, back to the manners, etc. I try not to sweat the small stuff either. I'm on a ship, I don't have to cook or clean. I can escape from a screaming kid, oblivious parents, obnoxious teens, elderly nascar hoverround drivers, etc. I'm still going to have a good time! DOD and a balcony...I'm good.

[quote name='BonnieSte']Maybe they could also wear a sign saying they are repeat cruisers so that we can tip toe around them? ;)[/quote]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]They do wear a sign, it is their sail and sign card proudly displayed on a lanyard worn around their necks. And you will respect their greatness ;)[/SIZE][/FONT]

OK, so you weren't kidding. Wow.

Yes, of course we all should follow simple rules of respecting others: waiting our turn, letting people off the elevator before getting on, etc.

But some of your etiquette mandates are just silly. You don't want to hear other people's conversations. You really expect people to stop talking in elevators? Why stop there? Why not expect them to stop talking while next to you in line at the buffet, while sitting next to you in the theater waiting for the show to start, while waiting for a tender (oh, wait... you said that). OK, I agree that I don't want to hear somebody telling his companion all about his hemorrhoids, but you can't seriously expect people to just stop talking whenever they are in proximity to you.

Pick up their dominoes -- abandoning a game in progress -- because you can't find a seat? Isn't this a public space? There are etiquette rules about what you may or may not do when seated on the lido deck?

Share their wine? So if I'm at an table of 8 and want to share a bottle of wine with my hubby, I guess I have to actually buy 4 bottles so each couple can share equally with us? Are you kidding? One bottle shared amongst 8 will give each of us little more than a taste. I don't have the budget to pay for your drinks at dinner. Sorry.

Please and thank you and not saving seats or cutting in line and all that -- we agree on basic rules of civil society and being polite. But when your "rules of etiquette" extend to expecting to have my table, my wine, and my silence, then you have moved beyond etiquette to something much less noble, in my opinion.

[quote name='picklebongo']One of the things everybody has in common when they are on a ship is that they are on vacation. I thought it would be helpful for veteran cruisers to generate some general etiquette expectations for the novice cruisers.

Of course there are the obvious ones such as: no saving seats, arrive on time for dinner in the MDR, don't slam cabin doors, hands out of the buffet trays, waiting for occupants to exit the elevator before attempting to enter, etc.

I'll start by generating a few suggested etiquette expectations of cruising:

1. Don't complain while waiting in line for tenders, meals, etc. When people are on vacation, they don't want to hear your grumbling/complaining about what isn't right or what cruise line does a better job than Carnival at whatever. This is a downer.

2.Don't cut in line or save a spot for folks, who then show up and there are ten in the party. Asking the person directly behind you if they mind doesn't count. What if the next person minds?

3.If you order a bottle of wine, consider sharing with the other diners. (I know some will disagree with this, but to me this is just good etiquette.)

4. When entering an elevator that is darn near packed, please cease your conversation upon entering and resume it when you exit. Everybody doesn't want to hear what you have to say.

5. If you are on the Lido, where alot of folks are circling with their trays trying to find a spot to sit and eat, please consider vacating your spot if you are playing cards, dominoes or reading a book. There are lots of other areas for activities such as this.[/quote]

[quote name='LuckyZ']I dislike when people use elevators to go up or down only 1 floor (perfectly healthy and young people).

My wife and I vow to always take the stairs, but there are times you need to use the elevator when needing to go up or down 8 levels. So when i see people going up or down 1 floor, I want to explode[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Purple"]To you they may seem 'perfectly healthy', but you don't know if there are underlying reasons for the short elevator ride. My DH has COPD, you wouldn't know that to look at him and I don't see why we have to advertise our short elevator rides. If something was said to me, honestly, I'd tell you to take a hike (on a staircase if you like), you have no right to comment on things that ultimately will hurt someone else.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='luckybecky']

Please and thank you and not saving seats or cutting in line and all that -- we agree on basic rules of civil society and being polite. But when your "rules of etiquette" extend to expecting to have my table, my wine, and my silence, then you have moved beyond etiquette to something much less noble, in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Yep, well said.

[quote name='jerseyjjs']That seems to be a priority in the OPs life. :rolleyes:[/quote]
You hit the nail on the head...
I remember years ago we would start talking about the weather when certain people started a thread... so how's it where you are?

I remember my first curises on the SS Norway. We were at a table of 8 and when we got a bottle of wine - it was shared among all at the table. Wine Stewart (they had them on cruise ships back then) and our travel agent explained to us that it was the proper thing to do - same as sharing a bottle of champange. On all of our cruises we have been able to come to agreement on sharing or buying at least one bottle of wine for the table during the week. Of course these were formal dinners back then - I wore a tux and the ladies wore formal gowns. And on Carnival right now - I don't think there are anymore formal dinners.

This becomes more difficult with large tables of 10-12. But with small tables of 4-6, I was taught it was quite rude not to offer wine to your table mates. We are not talking about getting them sauced.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Well bless your heart for trying to educate us poor people who don't know any manners! Jeez!! As to the bottle of wine, why would you offer to share with others who have not ordered their own????

[quote name='La professora']

Luvcruisetime, Are there any services you receive as an adoptive parent? I know foster parents receive special services. Maybe he needs counseling, and I do hope you get to take some time for yourself. Be sure to take care of yourself. You can't "fight the good fight" if you aren't taking care of yourself. Many of us moms forget that. [/quote]

Unfortunately, once the adoption is finalized, the services go away. At least in my state. They are working on a program to support adoptive families, but it's simply a support group kind of thing, where families get together and commiserate and share stories. While this can be good, and I might get good ideas from people that have been thru it, my experience has been that they sympathize, but don't have any answers or ideas as to what I can do. They have been thru it and all they can say is hang in there, he will turn 18 eventually. That does not help me now. He has been in counseling for years. Doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot of good.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
[quote name='grozas']Boxer - you can do what ever the heck you want - its your cruise.

That seems to be the attuitude here anyway. Now I have got to go pack my wife-beater shirts and shorts.[/QUOTE]

It's not whatever I want, we have manners and know how to behave, just don't need someone to lecture me on how it should be done! Common sense people!

Archived