Carnival Cruise Etiquette 101

picklebongo

I was always taught that the number one rule in etiquette is not to point out someone else's lack of etiquette.

As far as the elevator and talking...........I talk to everyone. :D

On most of the cruises I have been on, mostly UK based cruise companies, it is generally considered polite to say hello to any people already in an elevator or lift. Common courtesy I think.

Re sharing wine at dinner : the problem is (aside from general miserliness) that some people will not be a position to reciprocate and therefore could be embarrassed by your generosity, and of course, some will not be embarrassed and will take advantage. We do it on occasion, when it seems appropriate, celebrations etc. And we do like sharing the dinner table : it's a good way of getting to know new and interesting people we wouldn't otherwise have met.

An interesting thread picklebongo ! well done !

Thank you :)

i would really love to sit down and talk with the friends , neighbors , relatives and co workers of some of the more high and mighty posters on these boards . The ones that always do the correct thing, and admonish those that they feel don't , and have the perfect kids and all that.

You know darn well some of them are "that guy at work " or the neighbor no one gets along with , or the sister in law the family all talks about and rues the day their brother married her . But on line they are the beloved icons of Cruise Critic. *LOL*

You just know some of those people are out there.

True in some cases for sure and it can be said of those who are the opposite. The sarcastic, rude bullies might just be pussycats in real life.

When I go on a cruise, I don't act any differently than when I'm at home. I'm 37 and I do say please, thank you, excuse me, I'm sorry.....BUT.......if you are rude and you treat me or someone I see unfairly, then my manners are gone and I will tell you so.

There are no rules or 'etituette 101', it's common sense and let's face it; some people have it some don't. Deal with it, but don't let it ruin your vacation. Shake it off, move on, and have fun!

when did a cruise ship become a library.

one rule: when you book a cruise, realize you are paying to share a ship. those that you share with have quirks you may not be used to.

save your rules for where you are in total control, like home. trying to instill them in public is fruitless. there are no hall moniters.

and let those enforcing the law enforce it.

I couldn't agree more! People need to generally have respect and use manners and consideration for others but if they don't then there's not much you can do about it...it's a public place! Such is life!

I understand why threads like this need to be posted. Some people need to read this type of stuff. Why do those that don't want to be "bothered" by these threads have to say anything? Also why post snarky comments about "drama"? I am new to this board and I have noticed alot of "bad etiquette" on here. Not everyone knows the "rules" and some need to be reminded of how to be a nice and considerate person... on land and on a ship. Being sarcastic to be funny is one thing but being down right mean and snarky is another.... let it be. Cruising is fun and this board should be fun... as well as informative.

I understand why threads like this need to be posted. Some people need to read this type of stuff. Why do those that don't want to be "bothered" by these threads have to say anything? Also why post snarky comments about "drama"? I am new to this board and I have noticed alot of "bad etiquette" on here. Not everyone knows the "rules" and some need to be reminded of how to be a nice and considerate person... on land and on a ship. Being sarcastic to be funny is one thing but being down right mean and snarky is another.... let it be. Cruising is fun and this board should be fun... as well as informative.

I agree!:) Sometimes one doesn't realize he or she is being rude because the person does not have the same perspective, and I don't see how understanding someone else's perspective can be anything but positive.

Some things should be common sense, but some folks have a sense of entitlement on vacation. They think they are paying to have a good time, and they don't care if their good time is hindering your good time. That is where it stops being a matter of taste or style and becomes true rudeness in my opinion. The people who were in the magic show with my family and kept yelling shut up to their drunk friend should have taken the friend out rather than keep yelling so that the people around could not hear. It is the same as a crying baby. I have taken my baby out of a restaurant before because she was screaming her lungs out and was too little to know better. Whether she knew better or not, I knew she was disrupting other people's meal. If you are truly bothering someone else, that is where your rights stop. If you want to share wine or not doesn't hurt anyone else, but if you are screaming at 3 in the morning, that does. That's just my opinion. :)

What was posted were not "rules". They were one person's "expectations".

What was posted were not "rules". They were one person's "expectations".

Regardless of the semantics... there is no need for anyone to peg a post as "drama causing" or to be downright mean. (BTW I meant "rules of etiquette") It does help people to see posts like this. It is sad that those needing to be helped have to weed through meaness to find some nuggests that might be helpful.

One of the things everybody has in common when they are on a ship is that they are on vacation. I thought it would be helpful for veteran cruisers to generate some general etiquette expectations for the novice cruisers.

Of course there are the obvious ones such as: no saving seats, arrive on time for dinner in the MDR, don't slam cabin doors, hands out of the buffet trays, waiting for occupants to exit the elevator before attempting to enter, etc.

I'll start by generating a few suggested etiquette expectations of cruising:

1. Don't complain while waiting in line for tenders, meals, etc. When people are on vacation, they don't want to hear your grumbling/complaining about what isn't right or what cruise line does a better job than Carnival at whatever. This is a downer.

2.Don't cut in line or save a spot for folks, who then show up and there are ten in the party. Asking the person directly behind you if they mind doesn't count. What if the next person minds?

3.If you order a bottle of wine, consider sharing with the other diners. (I know some will disagree with this, but to me this is just good etiquette.)

4. When entering an elevator that is darn near packed, please cease your conversation upon entering and resume it when you exit. Everybody doesn't want to hear what you have to say.

5. If you are on the Lido, where alot of folks are circling with their trays trying to find a spot to sit and eat, please consider vacating your spot if you are playing cards, dominoes or reading a book. There are lots of other areas for activities such as this.

Is this a dream you had or where did you come up with these ideas?

1...People complain all the time jist not on vacation....so quit complaining all the time. However you know some people aren't happy unless they are complaining....

2....ok.....i guess.....

3...Really ? In all my cruises i have never had anyone offer me a glass of wine. What about ordering drinks too? If i order a beer, should i offer to buy someone else a drink also?

4.....I would consider this if the person is loud and obnoxious or drunk. If they are drunk they really won't care what you think anyways...

5....If there a lot of other areas to participate in those activities then they also can be used to eat too. My suggestion would be to not bring big rolley carts as carryons with you on board waiting for the cabins to become avalable. That is more annoying....

But thanks anyways for the ideas...i guess...

3.If you order a bottle of wine, consider sharing with the other diners. (I know some will disagree with this, but to me this is just good etiquette.
A woman at our table thought she had a right to share our bottle of wine every night and never purchased one to share with us. I told DH that we'd have to leave his mother at home for our next cruise.

A woman at our table thought she had a right to share our bottle of wine every night and never purchased one to share with us. I told DH that we'd have to leave his mother at home for our next cruise.

THAT had me almost falling out of my chair.. Nice one!

Archived