is pink slime used in guy's burgers?

H82seaUgo

I also noticed the difference in hamburger taste. At home I use ground beef from the health food store. It is grown in my state and boy does it taste better.

The best hamburger I ever got was from a restaurant called 'Plan B' and they use only certified 100% natural beef with no hormones, antibiotics or fillers and it is also certified humane. Of course I was happy to read all that on the menu...then I tatsed the beef and was converted in an instant. The beef was SO much better...unbelieveably better. It made me realize that what I had been eating all these years is absolute CRAP.

PINK SLIME... Sounds nasty! But thats just a word made up by the media... Reality, its been in your ground beef all your life...

Gotta love the 24/7 news channels...

no..it hasn't. Not in my life. Maybe you're a LOT younger than me.

Totally agree. DH & I are in our 60's, cook everything from scratch, including pizza, grow our own veggies, and prefer fresh fish (locally caught - easy in the Keys) to beef and have wonderful lab numbers, to the point where the doc asks "Are you on Lipitor?", lol! Have not eaten at fast food for years, nor bought prepared food and won't do it now. Why do you think Europeans live longer than we do and have better health outcomes? No Agri-business and Farmers Markets everywhere, as well as better preventative healthcare systems. Americans can be induced to believe anything, including that "pink slime is good and fat free!". Oh, well - you believe what you want, we'll believe what we want!

(Hijack)..I just want to tell you, that visit was our first time in Key west and we LOVED it!!!!

i thought i read someone post it was only added in the 90's, and used to be an additive to dog food.

I may be mistaken but the way I understood it is that the scraps are only approved/used for dog food unless they go through the pink slime process, sounds to me like the dogs don't even get the pink slime! :p

I think it's pretty harsh to weigh deplorable food practices against gainful employment.

Well, its good that you probably have had a lot more employment options in your life than some other folks. Not saying one way or the other that the plant should/shouldn't remain open, but your comment regarding folks who will lose their job and likely have trouble providing for their families.... I'm sticking with harsh.

Well, its good that you probably have had a lot more employment options in your life than some other folks. Not saying one way or the other that the plant should/shouldn't remain open, but your comment regarding folks who will lose their job and likely have trouble providing for their families.... I'm sticking with harsh.

It's perhaps a bold statement but I have a passion as a right fighter. I personally would and have make long personal sacrifices for what was right over making money. My apologies if you're offended but I can't help but offer another perspective. People gain and loose jobs every day, families move for better employment opportunities every day, it doesn't necessarily have to be an immediate and negative association.

It's perhaps a bold statement but I have a passion as a right fighter. I personally would and have make long personal sacrifices for what was right over making money. My apologies if you're offended but I can't help but offer another perspective. People gain and loose jobs every day, families move for better employment opportunities every day, it doesn't necessarily have to be an immediate and negative association.

Fair enough, I see where you're coming from. Sometimes people with very few choices have a passion for feeding their children.

I think it's pretty harsh to weigh deplorable food practices against gainful employment.

Last I knew the FDA and USDA have both approved the practices being used. The fact that you take exception to it is, well, irrelevent. It's no different than making sausage or potted meat.

is guy's a fast food chain? we don't have any, but my stomach has turned finding out a local taco place uses it.

never happy to hear about any ammonia treated food byproducts. i'm surprised someone even thought this was a good idea.

we need a ralphing emoticon.

svomit_100-122.gif?w=49&h=33

Fair enough, I see where you're coming from. Sometimes people with very few choices have a passion for feeding their children.

And those same people are likely faced with feeding their children whatever meat is the least expensive option.....I'm happy for those of us who have choices. Thanks for remembering that there are an awful lot of folks that do not.

I would contact the company and ask for an official statement.

Edited to add: Because all we are going to do here is bring our different ideas to the table. Guy's company will provide the official answer you are looking for.

actually, our local news has been outing those locations that do this. i've been jotting those that have stopped.

i'm hoping someonme catches this on their local broadcasts, where ever these reside on land.

That's probably read because I've lost a lot of faith in the FDA and USDA process.

So what is deplorable about the process? A machine is used to seperate small pieces of meat from fat and connective tissue? Hmmmm, machines are used to process a lot of our food from dairy products to, well, meat. The resulting meat is treated with a chemical that is deemed safe to use for the process (since 1974)? Hmmm, chemicals treat a lot of things from pools to food. The meat is then ground up and added to other ground up meat. Sorry, not seeing deplorable in there anywhere.

So what is deplorable about the process? A machine is used to seperate small pieces of meat from fat and connective tissue? Hmmmm, machines are used to process a lot of our food from dairy products to, well, meat. The resulting meat is treated with a chemical that is deemed safe to use for the process (since 1974)? Hmmm, chemicals treat a lot of things from pools to food. The meat is then ground up and added to other ground up meat. Sorry, not seeing deplorable in there anywhere.

If you are comfortable with that great. I am not.

Are there parts of the country where this is the norm? I visited 4 different stores that sell ground beef over the weekend: Sam's Club, Mars, Trader Joe's, and Safeway. Each had a sign confirming that their meat did not contain pink slime. It didn't say that it had been eliminated, so I don't know if they had suddenly changed suppliers or not, although I got the impression that it's been standard around here for awhile, if not forever.

Are there parts of the country where this is the norm? I visited 4 different stores that sell ground beef over the weekend: Sam's Club, Mars, Trader Joe's, and Safeway. Each had a sign confirming that their meat did not contain pink slime. It didn't say that it had been eliminated, so I don't know if they had suddenly changed suppliers or not, although I got the impression that it's been standard around here for awhile, if not forever.

right now, i am ONLY buying my ground beef that have proclaimed not to add slime to their meat.

and still buy the 93/7% at that.

Archived