is pink slime used in guy's burgers?

H82seaUgo

anyone know?

we have some local markets that are finally eliminating this from their griund beef.

just hope this goes world wide.

I don't know, but I'm guessing no.

I just heard about this in the past few days and it seems like it was being used primarily in fast food type restaurants. One article I read said it was a filler used in the production of low fat ground meats and processed meats. So based on that and since a Guy's burger is ANYTHING but low fat, I'm going to say no, they aren't using it.

The article also said the major supplier of pink slime has halted production in 3 of it's 4 plants due to lower demand.

I personally have no problem with the pink slime... I have been eating ground beef my whole life, and would gladly eat a burger right now. I think the use of this started in the mid 1990's, and I have loved every burger before and after pink slime. It is just beef trimmings with all the fat spun out and treated with a little ammonia gas to kill bacteria. There are plenty of other foods I would turn down before I would turn down a burger that had pink slime in it....

Oh I certainly hope not! Dh is a chef and he did some quick research on it for me the other day (the pink slime, not guys burgers) and he told me it looks like it is in about 70% of ground beef and pre-formed burgers! He gets his burgers from a company that fresh grinds them to order for their customers, no pink slime thank goodness! This is the only ground beef I will be using until I see how this slime situation turns out! BLECHHHH!

is guy's a fast food chain? we don't have any, but my stomach has turned finding out a local taco place uses it.

never happy to hear about any ammonia treated food byproducts. i'm surprised someone even thought this was a good idea.

we need a ralphing emoticon.

The only way to be sure is find an old fashioned Butcher who cuts meat and grinds it fresh...

Taco bell has used fillers for years...so has most places

Comes to light and uproar follows.

I try not to eat processed foods...but the key word is "try"

I personally have no problem with the pink slime... I have been eating ground beef my whole life, and would gladly eat a burger right now. I think the use of this started in the mid 1990's, and I have loved every burger before and after pink slime. It is just beef trimmings with all the fat spun out and treated with a little ammonia gas to kill bacteria. There are plenty of other foods I would turn down before I would turn down a burger that had pink slime in it....

That is my opinion on it. Pink slime tasted good before I knew it was pink slime, still taste good after I knew it is pink slime. I ate it for years and was perfectly fine!

anyone know?

we have some local markets that are finally eliminating this from their griund beef.

just hope this goes world wide.

Considering the preservative issues and bulk that cruiselines buy it, I would assume it DID have the slime. Personally I'm fine with it, in fact I'm going to start ordering an extra side of slide if possible.

Honestly....just another media catch phrase for the week, everyone will forget about it by April.....

It is probably no more gross than hot dogs, which we love. I buy the very good quality all beef varieties thinking they are better, but I am sure what is in them is still pretty nasty.

Pink slime is very LOW quality beef trimmings, entrails etc. that would be used in dog food not for human consumption. They are ammonia treated so that they are safe for human consumption and pumped into our ground beef as filler. At least this is how I understand it.

I don't know about Guy's Burgers...but I can tell you that there was an article in our local paper this past week about Gordon Food Service. GFS is a local company who services many restaurants (not just fast food) and cruise ships around the country (I know for sure they do RCCL as their truck shown on a recent television show delivering products to the Oasis). They stated that they will NOT stop purchasing/selling products with Pink Slime.

I can't agree. I've been telling my wife for years that something is wrong with the hamburger. The taste had changed since I was young and definitely not for the better. So now we know why.....and soon hopefully the meat won't be slimed any more ....and burgers will start tasting like burgers again.

i personally have no problem with the pink slime... I have been eating ground beef my whole life, and would gladly eat a burger right now. I think the use of this started in the mid 1990's, and i have loved every burger before and after pink slime. It is just beef trimmings with all the fat spun out and treated with a little ammonia gas to kill bacteria. There are plenty of other foods i would turn down before i would turn down a burger that had pink slime in it....
+1.

OOH all these people worried about "pink slime" but there is nothing wrong with it, people have been eating it for decades. Everyone is worried about eating lean meats, yet you won't have lean ground beef if you don't have "pink slime". So be prepared for your ground beef to be fatty!! :eek:

Burger tasted good before and tastes good now - do we know what is in any restaurant/fast food or processed food. Restaurants are not going to tell you what is in their food - except maybe nuts. If we knew half of what we are eating we would all be anorexic. Even ground coffee has 5% unknown ingredients (ie: bugs etc). I do eat a lot of deer and moose so know exactly what is in it but man those fastfood burgers hit the spot.

It's not by products, and in fact is healthier than standard ground beef because it's 90% lean.

If you've ever trimmed meat, there's areas where you can see meat, but the fat content is exceedingly high, so you just trim it.

Several years ago, a process was invented to separate the fat, such they can get more beef from near the bone. The resulting meat has been dubbed pink slime, and then it's worked into other ground beef.

The controvery is because it is a chemical process. It doesn't sound all that scary to me, but YMMV. It's been thoroughly reviewed. It's been in practice a long time. The chemicals are simple.

But add "chemicals" and a catchy scary name and you can sell a ton of books and advertising.

Anybody know anyone or heard stories of anyone getting sick or dyeing from Pink Slime.

I have been eating hamburger for over 60 years and can not find one incidence of anyone being harmed by this stuff.

Looks to me like another assault on the health industry by certain individuals or groups and the news industry is making a very large mountain out of a small ant hill.

Guess what is going to happen to the price of your hamburger whether it contains "pink slime" or not. So far what is the health hazard that anyone can prove? So far it's all a "potential" health hazard. What is next on the list to be attacked?

After all according to the manufacturer and the FTC it is beef products. Care to guess what is really in most commercial hamburger. Beef products form all areas of the cow. What is the difference???

Anybody know anyone or heard stories of anyone getting sick or dyeing from Pink Slime.

I have been eating hamburger for over 60 years and can not find one incidence of anyone being harmed by this stuff.

Looks to me like another assault on the health industry by certain individuals or groups and the news industry is making a very large mountain out of a small ant hill.

Guess what is going to happen to the price of your hamburger whether it contains "pink slime" or not. So far what is the health hazard that anyone can prove? So far it's all a "potential" health hazard. What is next on the list to be attacked?

After all according to the manufacturer and the FTC it is beef products. Care to guess what is really in most commercial hamburger. Beef products form all areas of the cow. What is the difference???

I hadn't heard that anyone thinks/believes it's is a health hazard, except in the sense that it is so processed and pretty gross.

The only way to be sure is find an old fashioned Butcher who cuts meat and grinds it fresh...

Taco bell has used fillers for years...so has most places

Comes to light and uproar follows.

I try not to eat processed foods...but the key word is "try"

I also have been trying to eliminate as many processed foods as possible!

Archived