is pink slime used in guy's burgers?

H82seaUgo

One of the most abused is what is in hot dogs, chicken nuggets, or sausages. It can claim 100% beef, hog, chicken but what does that consist of? Ground bones, intestines, glands, organs, brains, eyes, skin, etc.

People have been eating that stuff for ages and it never hurt them. Now that someone decided to do a news feature everyone is becoming upset.

The same people that become upset will still buy and drink bottled water even though there has been many news features showing that it may not be as clean or pure as tap water.

Take a look on ANY label in your cupboard with a list of 40 things you have no idea what they are, ground coffee 5% unknown (bugs, bug poop, etc), cheese that you don't have to refrigerate, bottled water filled from a rusty tap in a farmers field. Unless you live off the land - kill and raise your own food you are at the mercy of the food production industry. I have lived for almost 60 years ingesting this STUFF and still healthy.

This is the point .If you want mashed potatoes buy potatoes and not the instant ones with all the chemicals.If you want broccoli buy the frozen one with the only listed ingredient is broccoli.If you want fish buy fish not frozen fish sticks.Least ingredients the better

Just curious, exactly what are you aware of? What does pink slime mean to you?

Sam question to any other poster that wants to respond...

It means that I am now aware of how they are processing low quality beef scraps. (I don't need to outline the process, you can find the details as easily as I or anyone else did) It means that I am now aware that for every pound of ground beef I buy 15% of it could be this sort of "meat'.

As for others who say it is silly to avoid this type of beef because we have been eating it all along and are fine, I say it is my choice and makes a whole lot of sense to me, more for you:D

LOL..sorry. In my mind, I'm always in Mexico....

I kept saying 'gracias!' all weekend in the Keys :rolleyes:

Why would that be? Did you think you were in Cuba?:D BTW, I say "gracias", too:eek:! No worries - One Human Family - I love the multi-culturilism.

To me it means that the ground beef that I thought was just that...ground beef, is not.

I have a huge problem with that.

On my current wish list is a meat grinder. I plan on grinding my own. Until then, I will buy from a store that does not sell beef made with the slime crap.

My shopping has changed drastically over the years. Knowledge is a good thing and for me, getting back to basics is what I am doing. No more processed crap and I try to buy free range organic meats when the prices don't kill me.

You are what you eat...truly.

Totally agree. DH & I are in our 60's, cook everything from scratch, including pizza, grow our own veggies, and prefer fresh fish (locally caught - easy in the Keys) to beef and have wonderful lab numbers, to the point where the doc asks "Are you on Lipitor?", lol! Have not eaten at fast food for years, nor bought prepared food and won't do it now. Why do you think Europeans live longer than we do and have better health outcomes? No Agri-business and Farmers Markets everywhere, as well as better preventative healthcare systems. Americans can be induced to believe anything, including that "pink slime is good and fat free!". Oh, well - you believe what you want, we'll believe what we want!

To me it means that the ground beef that I thought was just that...ground beef, is not.

I have a huge problem with that.

Truth is, it is made from 100% USDA inspected beef. So it actually is ground beef.

I firmly agree everyone should make up their own minds, and just want to share some simple facts on the issue.

The media has been spreading a lot of myths about what “pink slime” is. The image spreading on the internet is not beef. Read more about the top 7 myths of pink slime below.

Myth 1:

Boneless lean beef trimmings look like pink slime.

Fact:

The photo many media have used to represent pink slime is not boneless lean beef trimmings.

Boneless lean beef trimmings actually looks like this.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7241/6854254534_d1787a4b3e.jpg

Myth 2:

“Boneless lean beef trimmings” or “lean finely textured beef” which have recently been called “pink slime,” are just “fillers” and not beef at all.

Fact:

As their real names suggest, boneless lean beef trimmings are 100% USDA inspected beef. Imagine trimming fat from a roast or steak. There’s always some meat that is trimmed with the fat. It is this meat, trimmed from the fat, which becomes boneless lean beef trimmings. When you compare the nutrition analysis of this lean beef with 90% lean/10% fat ground beef, they are virtually identical. That’s because boneless lean beef trim is beef – period.

Myth 3:

Ground beef produced with boneless lean beef trimmings is less nutritious than other ground beef.

Fact:

A side-by-side comparison of nutrition labels for 90% lean/10% fat ground beef demonstrates this lean beef has substantially identical nutritional value as 90% lean ground beef. Lean ground beef is low in fat and is a good or excellent source of 10 essential nutrients, including protein, iron, zinc and B vitamins.

Myth 4:

Boneless lean beef trimmings are produced from inedible meat.

Fact:

Boneless lean beef trimmings are 100% edible meat. These trimmings are simply the lean beef removed from the meat and fat that is trimmed away when beef is cut into steaks and roasts. The meat in these trimming is nearly impossible to separate with a knife so, historically, this product only could be used in cooked beef products when the fat was cooked and separated for tallow. But now there is a process that separates the fat from the fresh lean beef, and it is this fresh lean beef that can be used in ground meat foods like hamburger and sausages. No process exists that could somehow make an inedible meat edible.

Myth 5:

Dangerous chemicals are added to boneless lean beef trimmings.

Fact:

This is a reference to ammonium hydroxide, essentially ammonia and water, both naturally occurring compounds that have been used to make foods safe since 1974, when the Food and Drug Administration declared it GRAS or Generally Recognized as Safe, the highest safety attribution the agency assigns to compounds. Boneless lean beef trimmings receive a puff of ammonia to eliminate bacteria safely and effectively. When combined with moisture naturally in beef, ammonium hydroxide is formed, which is a naturally occurring compound found in many foods, in our own bodies and the environment. Food safety experts and scientists agree it is an effective way to ensure safer ground beef.

Myth 6:

Food safety advocates are concerned about the safety of boneless lean beef trimmings.

Fact:

Scientists, advocates and plaintiff’s lawyers, who in many cases are critical of the beef industry, have all stepped forward to praise Beef Products Inc. and its efforts at food safety.

Myth 7:

Because ammonium hydroxide is an ingredient, ground beef containing boneless lean beef trimmings should be labeled.

Fact:

Ammonium hydroxide is not an ingredient added to the product – rather, the product receives a puff of ammonia to eliminate bacteria safely and effectively. When combined with moisture naturally in beef, ammonium hydroxide is formed, which is a naturally occurring compound found in many foods including baked goods, cheese, chocolate, and puddings, in our own bodies and the environment. It is used in the production of each of these foods as a processing aid and not an ingredient, so not “on the label” of those foods either. It is safe and has been approved by FDA since 1974 and specifically approved for its food safety benefits in beef processing since 2001

Myth 8:

Lean finely textured beef (LFTB) is “filler” for ground beef.

Fact:

Many in the media have begun to describe Lean Finely Textured Beef (LFTB) as “filler” for ground beef. This is factually inaccurate. Meat fillers include cereals, legumes, vegetable, roots and tubers, and may not be used in anything carrying the term “ground beef” due to its standard of identity. On the other hand, LFTB is an end product made from boneless lean beef trimming, the very same beef that is processed into roasts and steaks for retailers and restaurants. These trimmings are simply small pieces of beef with fat attached.

The boneless lean beef trimmings become “finely textured” using high-technology food processing equipment that resembles a large, high-speed mixing bowl, in which they are warmed to help separate away the fat so that only the beef remains. The result is a high-quality beef product and is at least 90 percent lean.

LFTB is blended into ground beef, which is required by law to be made exclusively from beef. It has not been labeled as a separate ingredient because it is 100 percent beef. It is not an additive or filler. In fact, to label it as anything but beef would raise truth-in-labeling questions.

The public stands ready to evaluate the "myths", but accurate and fair labeling is a must. It's our money and this filler product is used to make the product more profitable. Just as Walmart and other retailers add 10-20% liquid to meats which inflates the profit margin and is unfair to the consumer. But at least with the liquids added to roasts and other meats it's on the label if the consumer so chooses to read it.

I live in beef country and the controversy is the fact that what was once used for dog food was approved by the USDA and allowed to be used in ground beef with no labeling requirement. As consumers we have a right to know what is in our food that we purchase. I'm glad many of you here are fine with pink slime in your ground beef, but for those of us who prefer not to have it in our food, label it and we all can make the choice at the market.

So what would you label it as? In order to meet FTC and FDA guidelines?

So what would you label it as? In order to meet FTC and FDA guidelines?

I'm sure the government bureaucrats and beef marketers can arrive at terminology that will be descriptive, yet much better than pink slime. Not being in that business maybe something as a labeling of LTB additives. (lean trimmed beef)

No, Guy's restaurants are not fast food. Normal restaurants featuring some really great food. Inventive, creative and GOOD!

It was better when he worked in the kitchen

Someone said people will grab the cheaper meat. I disagree. We buy the leanest meat available, which is also the most expensive. We don't buy our meat from places like Walmart either because even their "lean" meat is extremely greasy. We get our meat from a small local grocery that processes the meat and it comes from local farms.

I'm well aware of what is in food. I tend to read the labels. I know what carmine is and I know about red coloring in food.:D

Actually I think someone said that most people would grab the cheaper meat. There was a time not long ago that would have been me (and even now if buying burger with this added would save some money I wouldn't balk at it, at least until someone actually comes up with something that shows that this is actually a health hazard).

is guy's a fast food chain? we don't have any, but my stomach has turned finding out a local taco place uses it.

never happy to hear about any ammonia treated food byproducts. i'm surprised someone even thought this was a good idea.

we need a ralphing emoticon.

You mean like this? Barf.gif :D

Its really gross and its not good to have ammonia based by products added to your food. Processed foods shorten life span, period. That includes hot dogs, bacon and likely slimed foods. Costco, has announced their ground beef does not include slime and never has. One of their VPs announces they were apparantly not smart enough to sell slime to people and make them feel good about it, therefor they are not selling beef with an ammonia derived waste product. They would be a good option if cost is a factor.

That said its a free country and people should be able to eat what they like. If you love processed foods I respect that. I just think that when it can impact overall health of a person, it should be disclosed when processed ingredients are added to what is supposed to be a natural product, such as ground beef.

I firmly agree everyone should make up their own minds, and just want to share some simple facts on the issue.

The media has been spreading a lot of myths about what “pink slime” is. The image spreading on the internet is not beef. Read more about the top 7 myths of pink slime below.

Myth 1:

Boneless lean beef trimmings look like pink slime.

Fact:

The photo many media have used to represent pink slime is not boneless lean beef trimmings.

Boneless lean beef trimmings actually looks like this.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7241/6854254534_d1787a4b3e.jpg

Myth 2:

“Boneless lean beef trimmings” or “lean finely textured beef” which have recently been called “pink slime,” are just “fillers” and not beef at all.

Fact:

As their real names suggest, boneless lean beef trimmings are 100% USDA inspected beef. Imagine trimming fat from a roast or steak. There’s always some meat that is trimmed with the fat. It is this meat, trimmed from the fat, which becomes boneless lean beef trimmings. When you compare the nutrition analysis of this lean beef with 90% lean/10% fat ground beef, they are virtually identical. That’s because boneless lean beef trim is beef – period.

Myth 3:

Ground beef produced with boneless lean beef trimmings is less nutritious than other ground beef.

Fact:

A side-by-side comparison of nutrition labels for 90% lean/10% fat ground beef demonstrates this lean beef has substantially identical nutritional value as 90% lean ground beef. Lean ground beef is low in fat and is a good or excellent source of 10 essential nutrients, including protein, iron, zinc and B vitamins.

Myth 4:

Boneless lean beef trimmings are produced from inedible meat.

Fact:

Boneless lean beef trimmings are 100% edible meat. These trimmings are simply the lean beef removed from the meat and fat that is trimmed away when beef is cut into steaks and roasts. The meat in these trimming is nearly impossible to separate with a knife so, historically, this product only could be used in cooked beef products when the fat was cooked and separated for tallow. But now there is a process that separates the fat from the fresh lean beef, and it is this fresh lean beef that can be used in ground meat foods like hamburger and sausages. No process exists that could somehow make an inedible meat edible.

Myth 5:

Dangerous chemicals are added to boneless lean beef trimmings.

Fact:

This is a reference to ammonium hydroxide, essentially ammonia and water, both naturally occurring compounds that have been used to make foods safe since 1974, when the Food and Drug Administration declared it GRAS or Generally Recognized as Safe, the highest safety attribution the agency assigns to compounds. Boneless lean beef trimmings receive a puff of ammonia to eliminate bacteria safely and effectively. When combined with moisture naturally in beef, ammonium hydroxide is formed, which is a naturally occurring compound found in many foods, in our own bodies and the environment. Food safety experts and scientists agree it is an effective way to ensure safer ground beef.

Myth 6:

Food safety advocates are concerned about the safety of boneless lean beef trimmings.

Fact:

Scientists, advocates and plaintiff’s lawyers, who in many cases are critical of the beef industry, have all stepped forward to praise Beef Products Inc. and its efforts at food safety.

Myth 7:

Because ammonium hydroxide is an ingredient, ground beef containing boneless lean beef trimmings should be labeled.

Fact:

Ammonium hydroxide is not an ingredient added to the product – rather, the product receives a puff of ammonia to eliminate bacteria safely and effectively. When combined with moisture naturally in beef, ammonium hydroxide is formed, which is a naturally occurring compound found in many foods including baked goods, cheese, chocolate, and puddings, in our own bodies and the environment. It is used in the production of each of these foods as a processing aid and not an ingredient, so not “on the label” of those foods either. It is safe and has been approved by FDA since 1974 and specifically approved for its food safety benefits in beef processing since 2001

Myth 8:

Lean finely textured beef (LFTB) is “filler” for ground beef.

Fact:

Many in the media have begun to describe Lean Finely Textured Beef (LFTB) as “filler” for ground beef. This is factually inaccurate. Meat fillers include cereals, legumes, vegetable, roots and tubers, and may not be used in anything carrying the term “ground beef” due to its standard of identity. On the other hand, LFTB is an end product made from boneless lean beef trimming, the very same beef that is processed into roasts and steaks for retailers and restaurants. These trimmings are simply small pieces of beef with fat attached.

The boneless lean beef trimmings become “finely textured” using high-technology food processing equipment that resembles a large, high-speed mixing bowl, in which they are warmed to help separate away the fat so that only the beef remains. The result is a high-quality beef product and is at least 90 percent lean.

LFTB is blended into ground beef, which is required by law to be made exclusively from beef. It has not been labeled as a separate ingredient because it is 100 percent beef. It is not an additive or filler. In fact, to label it as anything but beef would raise truth-in-labeling questions.

Thanks for posting this.

Label it and i guarantee 95% of people wont care. They will see ground beef that is 5 dollars a pound, and ground beef that is 3 dollars a pound and they will reach for the 3 dollars a pound without thinking twice.

Fact is 6 months ago no one cared that it was in their ground beef then and 6 months from now they will again not care. The whole thing is a nonissue that was created by a couple gross videos on Facebook.

100 percent agree. For every shopper that is very concious of what they're buying, there are 20 others that are just looking for the cheapest option......and the average American has a very very short memory. Just as my BP stock!:)

PINK SLIME... Sounds nasty! But thats just a word made up by the media... Reality, its been in your ground beef all your life...

Gotta love the 24/7 news channels...

i thought i read someone post it was only added in the 90's, and used to be an additive to dog food.

i thought i read someone post it was only added in the 90's, and used to be an additive to dog food.

Ground beef is made up, at least in part, of all of the little bits of meat that get trimmed during the butchering process (the bigger pieces become stew beef). The bits have just gotten littler.

Archived