The Future of Northeast and Bahama cruises Via Richard Fain

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (the corporation) has a wholly owned subsidiary called Cape Liberty Cruise Port LLC. This subsidiary is responsible for the management and operation of the cruise port. The agreement requires two RCCL ships (full time I believe) for the span of the 35 year lease. Currently it's one RCI ship and one Celebrity ship.

If you look on the Cape Liberty terminal website they are listing the Brilliance of the Seas as new for 2012 sailing out of the Bayonne harbor, along with the Explorer and the Celebrity ships...

If you look on the Cape Liberty terminal website they are listing the Brilliance of the Seas as new for 2012 sailing out of the Bayonne harbor, along with the Explorer and the Celebrity ships...

If you look further, you will discover that the Brilliance only sails out of Bayonne to Quebec and San Juan and does not return to Bayonne. Just a one way cruise, in my opinion. I certainly don't want to fly back to Bayonne to pick up my car. At least this is what the schedule is for 2012. Didn't bother to look further ahead. Will do that later.

Gwen :)

I also reported that and basically got mocked for repeating it.

Anyway, the other thread on Bayonne says the port was sold in 2010 and is not currently for sale, so that debunks other rumors.

My understanding is that the port is owned by the Port Authority of NY/NJ.

I believe fuel costs were another reason Royal/Celeb left NYC. The ships burn a lot of fuel going up the Hudson to the pier.

The ships burn a lot of fuel going up the Hudson and not from the Hudson to the Carib.:D

Carnival Pride sails every week out of Baltimore. Like the Radiance Class, Carnival Pride (and the rest of the Spirit Class) are Panamax ships... if the Pride fits, I see no reason why a Radiance Class ship wouldn't. Haven't checked the specific height figure but I imagine they're similar.

Regardless of what happens or doesn't happen with Bayonne, I'd be thrilled as a DC area resident to have a Radiance Class ship call Baltimore home!

This is going to turn out to be good news about the Explorer.

It makes perfect sense to bring the new Sunshine ship to Bayonne. It would be booked at a premium for years. Why put all the new ships down south when they can make so much money on a new ship up here.

"Sunshine in Bayonne"

Just received an e-mail from Celebrity regarding 2013-2014 schedule. Nothing is showing up for Bayonne, only out of Ft. Lauderdale. Will be open for bookings shortly.:confused::confused::confused:

Interesting!

MARAPRINCE

I think all Celebrity will have out of Bayonne is the Summit to Bermuda in summer 2013. The long Caribbean cruises are out -- the Silhouette is repalcing the Solstice out of FLL in the winter 2013/2014.

This post which has a link to all enhancements gives credibility to this notion

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=33147261&posted=1#post33147261

See the Brilliance & Jewel which have Bermuda/Canada listed while Enchantment has less planned upgrades. Makes me think either Brilliance or Jewel is going to Baltimore and Enchantment going to do the short cruises to Bahamas as replacement to Monarch (or Majesty?).

This post which has a link to all enhancements gives credibility to this notion

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=33147261&posted=1#post33147261

See the Brilliance & Jewel which have Bermuda/Canada listed while Enchantment has less planned upgrades. Makes me think either Brilliance or Jewel is going to Baltimore and Enchantment going to do the short cruises to Bahamas as replacement to Monarch (or Majesty?).

I noticed that too when looking at the part that shows where they sail.

We had the pleasure of speaking with Mario (most of you know/have heard of Mario) onboard a last minute cruise last week.

He says according to Richard Fain, with Bayonnes future in question, the tentative plan is to replace the Enchantment in Baltimore with a Radiance class ship year round doing long Caribbean cruise/short Bermuda cruises and the revitalized Splendour of the Seas relocating to Baltomore to sail 6/8 night Bermuda/Canada cruises.

The Explorer would relocate to the Austrailian/Asian market with a drawn out series of repositioning sailings.

The Enchantment would then resume Monarchs Bahamas cruises shortly after her departure.

The Summer 2013 bookings are open for the Explorer. She will be doing 5/9 nt Bermuda/Carribean voyages. The reservations are open until October 2013.

For those of you wondering about a Radiance class ship fitting into Baltimore. here is the link that shows Adam Goldstein confirming that it would make it under the bridges. :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1444285

DW and I just sailed the Jewel (Radiance class) and she did fit under the Sunshine Bridge in Tampa which is 180.5 ft air draft.

The Key Bridge and Chesapeake Bay bridge are at 185 to 185 ft in air draft so height is not an issue.

Archived