Port fee increase

disneygirl1972

Our taxes & fees went from $322 to $466 bc of my request for upgrade bc of the current summer sale. Can someone explain why the increase is so large? I understand about paying the current tax/fee rate when you apply for the price drop, etc. But this seems like a large increase. Thanks in advance

I can't explain why they went up so much, but I can say the same thing happened to us for our last Dream cruise, albeit not as much. The funny thing though when we boarded the cruise we found a strange amount of OBC and asked what it was and it was for port fees that were lowered.

I think whenever changes are made in price, the whole reservation is repriced and the fees can go up or down. We were glad to see the additional OBC, but it just seemed strange.

I don't get any of this. Port fees up and down? What's going on?

Anybody know?

Port fess are a very complicated matter. They are based on the size of the ship, the services required, the length of time in port (there is usually a minimum fee that covers 12 - 24 hours) plus an additional amount that is assessed for each passenger and crew member who is actually on board. Figuring them out for a given ship is an interesting ordeal.

Would this affect "paid in full" ES bookings if I was to claim any price drops?

We booked mid last year and the taxes/charges were lower than they are now but we still only got charged the lower priced charges on final payment early this week.

What about on board graduates,we pre paid them at booking and they have also increased since.

Den

We booked mid last year and the taxes/charges were lower than they are now but we still only got charged the lower priced charges on final payment early this week.

What about on board graduates,we pre paid them at booking and they have also increased since.

Den

The general Policy is that if you don't "change/modify" you Booking from Booking to sailaway, you won't be charged any increase in "Govt Fees & Taxes". However, they seem to have expanded the definition of "changed" to include any fare drops for ES price-matching -so if you claim a ES price drop, they'll most likely subteract any current increased in "Govt Fees & Taxes" from your price drop. You should be "grandfathered" for the pre-paid Gratuities. ken

Den

From what I've read here, if you submit a "price adjustment" with ES, you will be charged the greater port fees/taxes, as well as the higher gratuities. They say it is bc they are essentially cancelling the original reservation, & booking a new one.

I am just curious why my sailing went up sooo much in port taxes/fees.

. . . However, they seem to have expanded the definition of "changed" to include any fare drops for ES price-matching -so if you claim a ES price drop, they'll most likely subteract any current increased in "Govt Fees & Taxes" from your price drop. You should be "grandfathered" for the pre-paid Gratuities. ken

Ken, A few weeks ago I assisted a co-worker with their ES price decrease request via the Carnival website. The wording on the electronic form now requests you to enter the new "total fare" that you are seeing.

She did receive the new/lower price adjustment, but it was for the Total fare, not just the original base price. (The additional fees amount had increased a wee bit, which cut into the OBC slightly).

Cut-n-paste from CCL . . .

What is the total fare that you see available for your specific ship, sailing date, stateroom category and number of guests?

From what I've read here, if you submit a "price adjustment" with ES, you will be charged the greater port fees/taxes, as well as the higher gratuities. They say it is bc they are essentially cancelling the original reservation, & booking a new one.

I am just curious why my sailing went up sooo much in port taxes/fees.

Did they add the fuel charge supplement perhaps?

I dont watch oil prices but oil may have increased in price since you first booked?

Den

Ken, A few weeks ago I assisted a co-worker with their ES price decrease request via the Carnival website. The wording on the electronic form now requests you to enter the new "total fare" that you are seeing.

She did receive the new/lower price adjustment, but it was for the Total fare, not just the original base price. (The additional fees amount had increased a wee bit, which cut into the OBC slightly).

Cut-n-paste from CCL . . .

What is the total fare that you see available for your specific ship, sailing date, stateroom category and number of guests?

The two are separate.

The "Total Fare" is still the Total (Cruise) fare for all the passengers. "Fare" doesn't include "Taxes".

As a separate issue, if there's been a increase in "Govt Fees and Taxes" they subtract that increase from your price adjustment.

Comes out the same $$$ anyway.

ken

I don't know why this happens, but I know it does... I too have found odd amounts of OBC when I get onboard because of port fee changes.

The day or so before sailaway, Carnival does a final "reckoning" of the "Government Fees & Taxes" for each sailing - if there's a decrease they credit your S&S Account with the decrease. ken

DD & SIL had to pay an additional $20 something dollars in ports charges & taxes when they submitted their first ES price drop but they are up to $440 in drops on their cabin so no complaints from them on the increase. :)

. . . As a separate issue, if there's been a increase in "Govt Fees and Taxes" they subtract that increase from your price adjustment.

That's what I was attempting to say earlier. Sorry about the clarity. :o

That's odd. I know I've requested and received ES credit for DROPS in port fees, but I've never seen increases. :confused:

By the way, be sure to check your travelers insurance rates when your price drops: if it drops enough to put you in a lower bracket, then you can get a refund on the insurance rate too!

The two are separate.

The "Total Fare" is still the Total (Cruise) fare for all the passengers. "Fare" doesn't include "Taxes".

As a separate issue, if there's been a increase in "Govt Fees and Taxes" they subtract that increase from your price adjustment.

Comes out the same $$$ anyway.

ken

But an ES price match to a lower price "before or after" final payment shouldnt affect the amount of tax charged originally because you are not making a new booking just price matching a category?

I can understand the increase if you were not ES and tried to claim a price drop by threatening to re book at the lower price.

Den

But an ES price match to a lower price "before or after" final payment shouldnt affect the amount of tax charged originally because you are not making a new booking just price matching a category?

I can understand the increase if you were not ES and tried to claim a price drop by threatening to re book at the lower price.

Den

The "Govt Fees & Taxes" occasionally change, seemingly moreso recently. Carnival has always reserved the right to collect any increases in "Govt Fees & Taxes". To date they've chosen NOT to charge you said increase, with the caveat that they can if you "change" your booking. Until recently, they haven't treated a price-match price adjustment a "change" - but it IS a change to the booking (A REVISED FARE) and now they are treating same as a change and for any price drops, they'll subtract any current increase in "Govt Fees & Taxes". If you booked ES and you do not get ANY price drops before sailing (like ME!) then you would not be charged any "Govt RFees & Taxes" increases. ken

I don't know why this happens, but I know it does... I too have found odd amounts of OBC when I get onboard because of port fee changes.

We've had thos OBCs the last 4 or 5 cruises, this month it was $15.71 each.

The "Govt Fees & Taxes" occasionally change, seemingly moreso recently. Carnival has always reserved the right to collect any increases in "Govt Fees & Taxes". To date they've chosen NOT to charge you said increase, with the caveat that they can if you "change" your booking. Until recently, they haven't treated a price-match price adjustment a "change" - but it IS a change to the booking (A REVISED FARE) and now they are treating same as a change and for any price drops, they'll subtract any current increase in "Govt Fees & Taxes". If you booked ES and you do not get ANY price drops before sailing (like ME!) then you would not be charged any "Govt RFees & Taxes" increases. ken

Very confusing really unless you read the entire fine print! But I found it eventually.

Any price drop claim for me would have to be more than the $30 some are claiming or I would end up even.

I didnt book ES for the price protection but because it was the best price at the time,think I am getting an obsession with price drops lol.

Price Protection: Price protection applies to new Early Saver bookings only and requires payment of a non-refundable and non-transferable deposit. Applies to "cruise fare only''

Price protection will be "subject to the prevailing fees" and/or fuel supplement if applicable.

Den

Port fess are a very complicated matter. They are based on the size of the ship, the services required, the length of time in port (there is usually a minimum fee that covers 12 - 24 hours) plus an additional amount that is assessed for each passenger and crew member who is actually on board. Figuring them out for a given ship is an interesting ordeal.

Thank-you. I get it a bit better now. That is to say that while a ship is in the process of constantly selling out their cabins before the cruise the amount of passengers increases and as a result the taxes change up until sailing. (I wonder if you can take the taxes off your income tax??? Hmmmm.)

DD & SIL had to pay an additional $20 something dollars in ports charges & taxes when they submitted their first ES price drop but they are up to $440 in drops on their cabin so no complaints from them on the increase. :)

My first price drop, taxes went up about $45. Second and third price drops, no change in taxes. I just submitted my 4th price drop yesterday. Hope taxes don't go up as it is only $30 - Total of price drops $370. :)

See above reply from me.

Archived