Bad reviews of Independence are freaking me out!

So we are booked on Independence in Jan. 2013 for a West Caribbean sailing. I see that Independence has been doing Southampton to Canary Islands sailings for awhile now...and scrolling through the more recent reviews, so many of them are bad!

Bad food, bad service, bad crowds...yikes!

I don't get it...Freedom is praised roundly, and Independence is the same ship...shouldn't it be roughly the same experience?

Now I'm worried there was a reason this particular ship was so deeply discounted in Jan. 2013.

Any advice or encouragement out there? (Of course, if I hit the mega millions jackpot tonight, I will dump this reservation and book the biggest suite on Oasis!)

I wouldn't worry about the bad reviews. Thousands and thousands of people go this ship every month. You are only seeing a small percentage of people who were on this ship. This is a relatively new and nice ship. I haven't personally been on it yet, but I'm sure you will have a great time. Food is a subjective opinion.

Don't pay too much attention to the reviews, I was on Indy last year and loved it so much we are booked again this year.

The bad reviews are by people who have nothing better to do than complain. Your holiday is what you make of it.

Don't cancel. I was on the Independence last year to the Canary Islands and it was one of my best cruise experiences ever.

I prefer the Freedom class over the Oasis any day.

So we are booked on Independence in Jan. 2013 for a West Caribbean sailing. I see that Independence has been doing Southampton to Canary Islands sailings for awhile now...and scrolling through the more recent reviews, so many of them are bad!

Bad food, bad service, bad crowds...yikes!

I don't get it...Freedom is praised roundly, and Independence is the same ship...shouldn't it be roughly the same experience?

Now I'm worried there was a reason this particular ship was so deeply discounted in Jan. 2013.

Any advice or encouragement out there? (Of course, if I hit the mega millions jackpot tonight, I will dump this reservation and book the biggest suite on Oasis!)

done 2 on Indie already this year and 3 last year so not much wrong in our view.

Didnt care too much for the atmosphere at times during school hols but hey this is a family ship and they were all having a great time.

The food got better and better, last time a month ago I told one of the executive chefs this and he asked us to make a comment on the satisfaction form if I could so I did, we are sometimes quick to complain and slow to praise.

Quit reading reviews!!!! I mean it! Just go, and have a great time...and you will, if you aren't freaked out by other's opinions!

Reviews should only be read for certain information. Things like, what night is formal night...or, was the "hairy legs" contest worth sitting thru.....stuff like that.

If you try to base your vacation on other folks OPINIONS, you will drive yourself crazy. Stop reading right now.

Quit reading reviews!!!! I mean it! Just go, and have a great time...and you will, if you aren't freaked out by other's opinions!

Reviews should only be read for certain information. Things like, what night is formal night...or, was the "hairy legs" contest worth sitting thru.....stuff like that.

If you try to base your vacation on other folks OPINIONS, you will drive yourself crazy. Stop reading right now.

Well, there are two things that I couldn't care less about. If that is all people can think of to put in a review then they shouldn't bother wasting their time to write one at all.

I know I'll get flamed for this one but here goes. (And this is just my opinion so please don't anyone get riled up.) You know the Indy has been sailing out of Southampton for a long time, right? Which means that the overwhelming majority of the passengers are British. And they complain a lot. I mean A LOT. You read those negative reviews and they're complaining about having to tip, about how the Indy isn't like P & O, about how rude all the other passengers were and how the food wasn't what they were used to and the drinks were extortion price high, whine whine whine. :rolleyes: Look to see what nationality those negative reviewers are, and nine times out of ten you're going to find out that they're....British. And yes I know they're lovely people when they're not on a cruise ship but they do like to write reviews that make the rest of us shake our heads in wonder. I was on the Indy on the Canaries 11 night cruise and I had a wonderful time. It was loads of fun! Go on your cruise now and enjoy yourself! (and stop reading any more reviews)

I know I'll get flamed for this one but here goes. (And this is just my opinion so please don't anyone get riled up.) You know the Indy has been sailing out of Southampton for a long time, right? Which means that the overwhelming majority of the passengers are British. And they complain a lot. I mean A LOT. You read those negative reviews and they're complaining about having to tip, about how the Indy isn't like P & O, about how rude all the other passengers were and how the food wasn't what they were used to and the drinks were extortion price high, whine whine whine. :rolleyes: Look to see what nationality those negative reviewers are, and nine times out of ten you're going to find out that they're....British. And yes I know they're lovely people when they're not on a cruise ship but they do like to write reviews that make the rest of us shake our heads in wonder. I was on the Indy on the Canaries 11 night cruise and I had a wonderful time. It was loads of fun! Go on your cruise now and enjoy yourself! (and stop reading any more reviews)

I am British and yes I did get a little fired up reading your post but I can see why you would have the opinion you have , as with everything sometimes the minority can spoil it for the majority , I don't complain enough , but I am learning lol , if I have a bad meal in a restaurant I would sit there and say nothing , I do think the drinks prices are a little high on the cruises but again I don't complain about it , I chose to cruise knowing this and it's all part of my holiday expense ,I do tip but know we Brits are not considered to be a nation of tippers , why , probably because we never have and only because we have become accustomed to it by visiting different countries is it becoming part of our culture , one thing in our favour , we do queue up , we don't jump lines , I was astounded when abroad , that other European countries don't appear to know what a line is for , they jump in front of you , this has even happened to us in America , we retaliated to this once and the guy jumped back and he said whoa sorry man , not cool and got behind us .I even have to admit that when we were in Florida , some of the antics of our fellow Brits made us ashamed to be British yet this is a small minority , you get this wherever you go , we did a cruise out of Rome and was horrified at the behaviour of the Italians , so rude jumping in the lifts in front of everyone who was waiting , pushing in front in lines and very loud raised voices , on that occasion I was very proud to be British lol .I assailing on Indy next month and I am expecting a fabulous cruise but I won't let the small minority spoil it for the rest of us .

Totally agree! Wish the moaners would all go back to P&O !!!

I'm British - Welsh actually so far, far better! :)

And I agree with you 100% actually... I was on the Independance in february and the ones with the worse manners and who complained the most about the most trivial of things... were British.

I said on another board here a few weeks ago, that given a choice of sailing, or on a land based holiday, with a ship/hotel full of British people, or one full of American/German/Continental et al, I certainly would NOT choose the brits.

A bit un patriotic maybe, but it seems that British people don't seem to mingle well with others.

Waste of a post. On what basis should the OP cancel?

Pretty simple, a negative mood is already set and if you are starting to have second thoughts it´s best to look for something you don´t have to worry about. CHances are good the negative stuff is stuck in the mind now already and as nothing is always a 100% perfect even the slightest things will blow up to a major deal then.

We have been on the Indy 3 times and are going on it again next week. We love it. Ignore all the bad reviews. We've always had brilliant holidays on it and I can assure you we wouldn't be paying thousands of pounds to go on it again if it was as bad as some of these people are saying. Some people moan for the sake of it. We love the Indy and cannot wait to get back onboard next week.:D

Indy was one of my favorite cruises. Loved the ship, staff, ports, and the 8-nights on board. We are thinking about sailing her in December. As for the deep discounting, consider yourself lucky to be getting such a bargain :D

Cancel while you still can.

Do you care to elaborate?

And thanks to the other posters. The reviews I was reading were all Southampton to Canary Islands cruises...it really did scare me.

I guess there is a lot to be said about not reading reviews and working myself up! (I'm also doing that with the Port of Falmouth, Jamaica page...yikes!)

I wouldn't have booked her again if there was anything wrong. I couldn't fault it at all. The ship is incredible and the staff were wonderful.

Keep in mind that those who had a great time are much less likely to write a review than those very select few who cannot be pleased and are the sort of people who will pick around for the slightest thing and blow it out of proportion.

The food was fantastic, the service was excellent and there were no crowds. (apart from the street parties on the promenade :D)

Oh, and dln929, I think the difference actually is that a lot of British people only feel the need to make comments when there was something wrong, as opposed to going out and writing a rave review. You will get moaners from any country.

We were on the Independence for 18 days this past November and December. There were 3000 plus Brits and perhaps a dozen or so Americans. It was a cultural immersion as the food, entertainment and activities catered to British tastes - in some cases very different from American tastes. This was a surprise for us, but all in all, a good cruise experience. The bars (other than the pub) were often empty. Bartenders and other staff told us that tips were scarce and that most staff on the Independence were looking to other ships for their next contracts. The staff was friendly and helpful as they have been on other RCI ships. When the Independence moves to the Caribbean it will most likely be different - a change in food, entertainment, and activities - more American and fewer British. By the way, I did learn how to pour a Guiness like an Irishman!

Archived