Toddlers in the Pool

daydreamer16

Swimmies are allowed, but I would also consider a USCG approved swim vest, especially if you're going to be doing any excursions that involve boats or water. Counting on tour providers to have them is iffy. And any they have may be old, dirty and ill-fitting. My kids felt comfortable in their own vests.

Also, if your granddaughter is not fully potty trained, she cannot go in the pool. Swim diapers are not allowed as the pool water is untreated.

Finally, my 3 year old was not initially a fan of the pool because of the salt water. Consider goggles if she likes to go under.

this is somewhat tangential but.....

if the pool water is untreated what ruins the bathing suits in the T pool? I always thought it was chlorine--live & learn.

knowing this, I will get up even earlier for my swim!

Finally, my 3 year old was not initially a fan of the pool because of the salt water. Consider goggles if she likes to go under.

M-class pools are salt water. S-class pools are fresh water - no salt.

Even though she is potty trained accidents happen. Make sure that she stays in the peeing section. :D

Is the water really salty because it is ocean water??? :confused: :eek:

I always laugh at people getting all in a dither about toddlers in swim diapers. Who cares about 30cc of toddler urine in 10,000 gallons of water?

Furthermore, I laugh at everyone buying into the "miracle" of the pools on sea days.... A bunch of inebriated 20-somethings can hang out in the pool, drinking buckets of beers for HOURS, and never once need to get out to pee:rolleyes:

I always laugh at people getting all in a dither about toddlers in swim diapers. Who cares about 30cc of toddler urine in 10,000 gallons of water?

Furthermore, I laugh at everyone buying into the "miracle" of the pools on sea days.... A bunch of inebriated 20-somethings can hang out in the pool, drinking buckets of beers for HOURS, and never once need to get out to pee:rolleyes:

Good point and they do it on purpose.

Plus many don't realize that when you are in water you are sweating. That is another way of releasing body fluids. That is also why when people have the flu they get dehydrated. It is because of sweating. And what is sweat?

Why is ocean water salty? Because the fish got to pee somewhere. :rolleyes:

Precisely why you'll never bump into my DH in a pool! The only time he ever gets in public pool is if he loses a bet w/me. And even then, his is miserable the entire time (all of 10 minutes usually) he is in pool.

He lives in our pool all summer long, but loathes public pools. Oh well....compromises.

:-)

Sorry for this other tangent. When you say the pools are saltwater, does that mean raw seawater? Or they are just treated with salt instead of chlorine?

The use seawater pumped in from the ocean they are in. It is treated for contaminates, but not for salt extraction.

Thanks, what about the T-pools? Are they just saltwater treated with additional chemicals, or are these freshwater chlorinated pools?

T-pools, or Thalassotherapy pools, found on the M-class ships, are salt water pools with the same treatments as the regular pools. They are heated, however.

From Wikipedia:

Thalassotherapy (from the Greek word thalassa, meaning "sea") is the medical use of seawater as a form of therapy. It is based on the systematic use of seawater, sea products, and shore climate. The properties of seawater are believed to have beneficial effects upon the pores of the skin.[citation needed]

Some claims are made that thalassotherapy was developed in seaside towns in Brittany, France during the 19th century. A particularly prominent practitioner from this era was Dr Richard Russell, whose efforts have been credited with playing a role in the populist "sea side mania of the second half of the eighteenth century", although broader social movements were also at play. Others claim that the practice of thalassotherapy is older: "The origins of thermal baths and related treatments can be traced back to remote antiquity. Romans were firm believers in the virtues of thermalism and thalassotherapy.

In thalassotherapy, trace elements of magnesium, potassium, calcium, sodium, and iodide found in seawater are believed to be absorbed through the skin. The effectiveness of this method of therapy is not widely accepted as it has not been proven scientifically. The therapy is applied in various forms, as either showers of warmed seawater, application of marine mud or of algae paste, or the inhalation of sea fog. Spas make hot seawater and provide mud and seaweed wrapping services. This type of therapy is common in the Dead Sea area.

I found this of interest on my March 5 sailing of the Silhouette. Children were only permitted in the shallow pool. No one under 16 was permitted in the deeper outdoor pool. This was enforced. I have not seen this before on previous sailings.

Silhouette's pool deck differs from the other S class ships. It does not have the water jets in front of the stage that the earlier S class ships have. I assume the Reflection will be the same. The water jets are the perfect solution for babies and toddlers in swim diapers. The kids can have lots of fun playing in the jets and will stay cool when not permitted in the pools.

I found this of interest on my March 5 sailing of the Silhouette. Children were only permitted in the shallow pool. No one under 16 was permitted in the deeper outdoor pool. This was enforced. I have not seen this before on previous sailings.

Silhouette's pool deck differs from the other S class ships. It does not have the water jets in front of the stage that the earlier S class ships have. I assume the Reflection will be the same. The water jets are the perfect solution for babies and toddlers in swim diapers. The kids can have lots of fun playing in the jets and will stay cool when not permitted in the pools.

Was it really no one under 16 allowed in the deeper outdoor pool? Sixteen months or 16 years? Sixteen seems like a pretty high age cutoff, especially since the solarium is adults only. Can't see the teens playing in the water jets with the babies and toddlers.

Archived