Can you explain the Texas liquor thing?

okwriter

My upcoming Magic cruise will be my 3rd out of Galveston. I seem to recall something different about the drinks until the ship is a ways out. Is it that you can only order certain drinks? Or they can only contain certain liquor? Thanks!

My upcoming Magic cruise will be my 3rd out of Galveston. I seem to recall something different about the drinks until the ship is a ways out. Is it that you can only order certain drinks? Or they can only contain certain liquor? Thanks!

I don't know which ones are limited to serving prior to reaching international waters, but I can explain that the TABC (Texas Alcholic Beverage Commission) set up the very arcane rules that require this. They really are a Gestapo-type organization in most Texans opinions...

Sorry I don't recall exactly which liquors or beers but sadly it's true. :(

I don't know which ones are limited to serving prior to reaching international waters, but I can explain that the TABC (Texas Alcholic Beverage Commission) set up the very arcane rules that require this. They really are a Gestapo-type organization in most Texans opinions...

They have some of the hard stuff... beer is different than the typical day... It includes Shiner and Shiner Blonde among some others.

Accurate answer up through the "...very arcane rules..." part.

I do want to offer my congratulations on proving Godwin's law in only the second reply.

Its set up so a local Texas booze supplier gets his cut of the profit.

I didnt notice anything different with my DOD's on the Triumph a couple months ago

I remember one of my sisters ordering a margarita in November, and the bar staff either suggested she wait or told he she couldn't get one. Can't remember which... We just had DODs instead, but I think even those were light on the alcohol compared to usual. Just wondering if anyone knew for sure. I may just wait until we're out far enough to get "the good stuff" --- except for one obligatory DOD, of course. :)

While ships are in Texas state waters the state views them in the same light as any other vendor licensed to sell intoxicating beverages by the drink. I'm not a lawyer but as I understand the regulations the beverages sold on board while in state waters must be beverages provisioned by a licensed Texas distributor and must be taxed in accordance with Texas law.

While ships are in Texas state waters the state views them in the same light as any other vendor licensed to sell intoxicating beverages by the drink. I'm not a lawyer but as I understand the regulations the beverages sold on board while in state waters must be beverages provisioned by a licensed Texas distributor and must be taxed in accordance with Texas law.

Yes, with payment of Texas excise taxes. The limitation of what is available before sailaway is what Carnival is willing to purchase in Texas at Texas prices.

Texas Liquor law states that all liquor consumed while the ship is in port, and within 9 (?) miles of Texas must be purchased directly from Texas. Carnival probably sources most of their liquor from somewhere other than Texas. So they offer a "condensed" menu of drinks while the ship is in Galveston. In my experience they have offered all the usual types of liquor, but maybe just not a lot of variety. If you're a gin drinker, for example, they may have Tanqueray but not Beefeater. So your particular brand of liquor may not be available till the ship is away from port.

I'm on the Magic right now. When we boarded the ship in Galveston on Sunday, my wife could not get a Malibu and pineapple because of this law. She could get some other brand of coconut rum, just not Malibu, until after we set sail.

As a Texas native for my first 53 years here is how the state works:

Hard liquor sold aboard cruise ships while in domestic waters requires a tax stamp on it. Cruise lines select their top sellers and pay the tax, get the stamp and pour from those bottles. Once they reach a point after sailing the bars close for a few minutes, those bottles are stored and the ones with no tax (or duty) paid come out, hence full bar service.

Beer and wine are subject to the same tax, however the bottles don't need the TABC stamp on them.

When you return to port Texas residents are allowed one liter of hard liquor per passenger over age 21. Those cruisers that live outside of Texas are not subject to this law.

Beer and wine can be sold in Texas stores 7 days a week. Sales are stopped at 2am and resume after 9am (not sure on this one) Monday through Saturday.

Beer and wine can be purchased on Sunday after 12:00pm at stores and at bars as long a food is being served after 11:00am.

If you want hard liquor to smuggle on (shame on you :)) then you are out of luck on Sunday. Hard liquor can be sold from 9:00am until 9:00pm at "package stores" Monday through Saturday only. Grocery stores and gas stations do not sell it.

How's that for information from a virtual non-drinker? TABC guys are aggressive in Texas, at events like rodeos, college game day events, professional sports games and even private venue things like weddings they have been known to show up and ask for ID's from those that look under 21. This year we watched them work the Houston Rodeo one afternoon and that did a booming business about 50 yards from the beer stand.

I'd rather have a good plate of ribs from Texas and gumbo from Sarge with the beer cold for the rest of you.

As a Texas native for my first 53 years here is how the state works:

Hard liquor sold aboard cruise ships while in domestic waters requires a tax stamp on it. Cruise lines select their top sellers and pay the tax, get the stamp and pour from those bottles. Once they reach a point after sailing the bars close for a few minutes, those bottles are stored and the ones with no tax (or duty) paid come out, hence full bar service.

Beer and wine are subject to the same tax, however the bottles don't need the TABC stamp on them.

When you return to port Texas residents are allowed one liter of hard liquor per passenger over age 21. Those cruisers that live outside of Texas are not subject to this law.

Beer and wine can be sold in Texas stores 7 days a week. Sales are stopped at 2am and resume after 9am (not sure on this one) Monday through Saturday.

Beer and wine can be purchased on Sunday after 12:00pm at stores and at bars as long a food is being served after 11:00am.

If you want hard liquor to smuggle on (shame on you :)) then you are out of luck on Sunday. Hard liquor can be sold from 9:00am until 9:00pm at "package stores" Monday through Saturday only. Grocery stores and gas stations do not sell it.

How's that for information from a virtual non-drinker? TABC guys are aggressive in Texas, at events like rodeos, college game day events, professional sports games and even private venue things like weddings they have been known to show up and ask for ID's from those that look under 21. This year we watched them work the Houston Rodeo one afternoon and that did a booming business about 50 yards from the beer stand.

I'd rather have a good plate of ribs from Texas and gumbo from Sarge with the beer cold for the rest of you.

A buddy of mine got a ticket years ago for opening a beer before noon on Galveston island. Even though both of our watches and even the radio said it was noon he still got the ticket.

TABC are brutal.

If you want good ribs come out the Sam Houston Race Park on the 13th and 14th of this month. The Texas Association of First Responders is having their annual Wild Game Cookoff. I am on a team called "Meatwagon Cookers.":D

If you want good ribs come out the Sam Houston Race Park on the 13th and 14th of this month. The Texas Association of First Responders is having their annual Wild Game Cookoff. I am on a team called "Meatwagon Cookers.":D

So are you grilling up some roadkill:D

A buddy of mine got a ticket years ago for opening a beer before noon on Galveston island. Even though both of our watches and even the radio said it was noon he still got the ticket.

TABC are brutal.

If you want good ribs come out the Sam Houston Race Park on the 13th and 14th of this month. The Texas Association of First Responders is having their annual Wild Game Cookoff. I am on a team called "Meatwagon Cookers." :D

Galveston is famous for open container tickets. Here's one you might not know; if you drive your car on the Bolivar ferry you can stand by it and drink a beer. However... don't get back in the car with it or pass it to a passenger inside. If you do then you earned a open container ticket. :eek: The ferry is considered part of Hwy 87. Open containers are prohibited on Seawall Blvd as well.

Also, Galveston PD and GCSO work the ferry lines watching for registration and inspection stickers. We've seen them walk on the ferry and write all the cars they can in the 20 min ride across the bay. Amusing.

We have the new Rudy's near us at NASA Parkway, so the rib craving gets satisfied after mass most Sunday's.

Archived