HELP HELP with Alaska flights

WEPunkin

We are leaving Denali Princess Lodge at 8:00 a.m. going by motor coach (Princess trfs) to Anchorage and arriving at 11:00 a.m. Has anyone done this before? How long does it take at the airport?

Our flight leaves at 12:30 p.m. and Princess says don't book any flight before 1:00 p.m. It will cost us alot more and we can't make our connections if we don't book the 12:30 p.m. We will also have to stay overnight either in Anchorage or Seattle. There are 3 couples of us going.

Would appreciate anyones help if you have info that will help us. Thanks

Wanda

Wanda,

In my opinion, you are cutting it too close. 90 minutes is not enough time in the event of traffic, weather, etc. I always err on the side of caution when I book my flights because missing a flight is a much worse hassle than paying slightly more (in my opinion) also can ruin the entire trip if you end it scrambling to get home.

Good luck and have a wonderful trip. You will love Alaska. We loved it so much we are doing another cruise this September.

As an Alaskan, I strongly advise you to change your flight! If the goal is for the tour to arrive back at 11:00, that's even too late because 11:00 is the latest time you should be checking in at the airport. That is barring delays like road construction (very common in Alaska in the summer), traffic, delays caused by other passengers, etc. Not to mention the fact that there will likely be 40 other people onboard who will have luggage to be unloaded, which adds time. Also, Princess often routes its buses through the Eagan Center downtown and THEN transfers you to the bus to take to the airport, which obviously adds time. Save yourself the stress, and stick with Princess' flight requirements; they know what they're doing. If you end up with extra time in Anchorage, there is a very walkable, fun downtown, and if you go to the airport, you can always have a nice lunch at the famous Humpy's (some of the best food in Anchorage), which has a mini version in the airport through security.

Alaska is a fabulously beautiful state, and Princess does its cruises and tours so well here; you'll have a blast! Happy cruising! :)

Thanks so much for the information you both posted to me. We are very concerned about our flights and it not only involves us but the two other couples as well. We have been to Alaska, but not the other couples and they are depending on us to make all the arrangements. We stayed over night in Anchorage the time we went before. Its different when you are booking for the two of us than when you have others to book for too. Of course, we are trying to keep the cost down for everyone.

Cruisequuen4ever; would appreciate any info you might think of to help us, we would appreciate anything, especially since you are familiar with Alaska. We have been on the computer trying to see if there was any car rentals in the Denali Wilderness Princess lodge area, that maybe we could rent a car/van and drive to the Anchorage airport??? We seem so helpless making all the connections from here in Indiana. Thanks

Wanda

Thanks so much for the information you both posted to me. We are very concerned about our flights and it not only involves us but the two other couples as well. We have been to Alaska, but not the other couples and they are depending on us to make all the arrangements. We stayed over night in Anchorage the time we went before. Its different when you are booking for the two of us than when you have others to book for too. Of course, we are trying to keep the cost down for everyone.

Cruisequuen4ever; would appreciate any info you might think of to help us, we would appreciate anything, especially since you are familiar with Alaska. We have been on the computer trying to see if there was any car rentals in the Denali Wilderness Princess lodge area, that maybe we could rent a car/van and drive to the Anchorage airport??? We seem so helpless making all the connections from here in Indiana. Thanks

Wanda

I'm from Alaska as well and I've actually worked at the Denali Princess Lodge. As far as I know, there aren't any car rentals in the Denali area.

I know hotels are expensive in Alaska, especially Anchorage, during the summer, but I agree with the other posters - I think you're cutting the flight times too close. If it's possible, I'd bite the bullet and stay overnight in Anchorage. There is so much to do and see and the summertime is especially lovely.

If you do decide to spend the night, maybe you could take the rail from Denali to Anchorage instead of a motorcoach. The train experience is amazing; it's such a beautiful ride. The motorcoach is great too; you can't beat the scenery, but the rail is awesome.

Alaska is huge and the distances are mind-boggling. The roads aren't freeways or multi-lane roads that we're used to in the contiguous US so even if you could find a rental car in Denali (which you won't), you'd still be cutting it close and not allowing for traffic or who knows what?

If you think you're anxious now, you'll be 3x as anxious when you're in Denali, wondering whether you'll make your flight. Why spoil your stay at Denali? As the others have said, bite the bullet and stay overnight in Anchorage. Sometimes, the more expensive option winds up being the cheaper one in the long run.

Wanda

Happy to help :-)

I looked up Denali Car Rental, and though there appears to be one, it's not a branded company that would allow a return in Anchorage, it looks like. Besides that, you've already paid for Princess transportation as part of your package, add to that it's safer riding with Princess, so I highly recommend sticking with Princess. As for flights, either take the later flight, or spend the night in Anchorage. Most of the time, the cheapest flights from Anchorage leave late at night and are overnight flights; you could check into those. I totally understand the need to save money and wish I could think of a magical fix, but I can't.

Hopefully, some of the Alaskans will chime in here about this. We drove from Denali to Anchorage a number of years ago and I sure thought in remembering that it took more than 3 hours which the original poster mentioned (8 am to 11 am). We also drove the other way Anchorage to Denali and I am remembering more like 5 to 6 hours.

Hopefully, some of the Alaskans will chime in here about this. We drove from Denali to Anchorage a number of years ago and I sure thought in remembering that it took more than 3 hours which the original poster mentioned (8 am to 11 am). We also drove the other way Anchorage to Denali and I am remembering more like 5 to 6 hours.

There is no way they are making it from Denali to Anchorage in 3 hours.

On Sunday, with no traffic I made it to Wasilla in little over an hour (abount 63 miles) and you'd still have about 220 miles or so to the Park to go from there.

And with tourist season here, most of the time they say between an hour and a half to two hours to get checked in and cleared. Heaven forbid, if you pull up to the airport and there are 3 tourist buses there letting out their passengers :eek:

Susan in Anchorage :)

Happy to help :-)

I looked up Denali Car Rental, and though there appears to be one, it's not a branded company that would allow a return in Anchorage, it looks like. Besides that, you've already paid for Princess transportation as part of your package, add to that it's safer riding with Princess, so I highly recommend sticking with Princess. As for flights, either take the later flight, or spend the night in Anchorage. Most of the time, the cheapest flights from Anchorage leave late at night and are overnight flights; you could check into those. I totally understand the need to save money and wish I could think of a magical fix, but I can't.

Denali Car Rental is a local company based out of here in Anchorage. Last we knew there may of been a car rental at Healy, but I'm pretty sure with limited vehicles, that they won't be letting their cars leave the area.

I can tell you the majority of the flights out of Anchorage to the Lower 48, leave between 9 p.m. and 2 a.m. They are leaving here so that they can make connections to the Midwest and East Coast.

In the winter (we have several airlines that only come in for the summer), the majority of our flights leave between 9:30 p.m. and 2 a.m.

I personally wouldn't risk it. if you try to make your flight and miss it, you will have a huge headache and higher expense in the long run. i suggest you change your flight and stay over night. Here is a link that can show bring your to lots of options for lodging to accommodate your group.

http://www.anchorage.net/places-stay

Good luck!

I am surprised it took that long for someone to mention this :)

My guess is they are at the McKinley Princess (many people are confused about it - unfortunate after how much $$ they spend without realizing what they are buying!). So 3 hours sounds right.

It will probably be tight but if all goes well, it might work with a 12.30pm departure. But it is kind of late after buying your plane tickets to be asking this question. Your best bet now is to hope for the best. If you miss the flight, you pay $150/person plus any fare difference to fly the next day. This will certainly cost more than the fee to change your flights now, but that is your call.

I am surprised it took that long for someone to mention this :)

My guess is they are at the McKinley Princess (many people are confused about it - unfortunate after how much $$ they spend without realizing what they are buying!). So 3 hours sounds right.

It will probably be tight but if all goes well, it might work with a 12.30pm departure. But it is kind of late after buying your plane tickets to be asking this question. Your best bet now is to hope for the best. If you miss the flight, you pay $150/person plus any fare difference to fly the next day. This will certainly cost more than the fee to change your flights now, but that is your call.

If your bus leaves at 8am, you will not make a 12:30pm flight from either Princess hotel. During the summer the airport requests a two hour advance check-in for a flight. It takes 5 hours to drive from our house in Eagle River (about 10 miles out of Anchorage) to Denali going totally at the legal speeds. That also assumes no accidents, no construction, and good weather.

As others have suggested, it is far better to get to Anchorage, check into a hotel and enjoy the afternoon and evening before flying out the next day. You can also skip the hotel and take one of the many "red eyes" to the lower 48 from 8pm on.

You really don't want to miss a plane during the summer since many flights are full and you might find yourself stuck for a few days.

Is the transfer direct to the airport?? Or does it stop downtown at the Egan Center, while it unloads??

I am assuming this flight was booked by the poster and not through Princess or a TA.

I too think it has the potential for big problems and is to tight a timeframe. Especially so, if there is a cruiseship in Whittier, unloading, increasing lines and time at the airport.

Alaska airport flight loads are over 90%.

Finally, determine, which lodge you are coming from. 3 hours is about right from the McKinley Princess, but definately not the Denali Princess Lodge.

We are leaving Denali Princess Lodge at 8:00 a.m. going by motor coach (Princess trfs) to Anchorage and arriving at 11:00 a.m. Has anyone done this before? How long does it take at the airport?

Our flight leaves at 12:30 p.m. and Princess says don't book any flight before 1:00 p.m. It will cost us alot more and we can't make our connections if we don't book the 12:30 p.m. We will also have to stay overnight either in Anchorage or Seattle. There are 3 couples of us going.

Would appreciate anyones help if you have info that will help us. Thanks

Wanda

From Google Maps

"Suggested routes

244 mi, 4 hours 32 mins

AK-3 S/George Parks Hwy

Driving directions to Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport 3D

McKinley Park, AK"

Did you check? And that is w/o any delays.

DON

From Google Maps

"Suggested routes

244 mi, 4 hours 32 mins

AK-3 S/George Parks Hwy

Driving directions to Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport 3D

McKinley Park, AK"

Did you check? And that is w/o any delays.

DON

Google maps is inaccurate with driving times.

If the OP is really coming from Denali Princess it is more like 5+ hours. Most like they are confused and are in fact coming from McKinley Princess.

I've driven that road plenty and never made such good time as 3 hours from either hotel even when we had a family emergency.

The bus drivers push it and know the way but they can't overcome traffic and especially a convoy of RV's driving 45 mph.

Change the flight.

The Denali Princess Lodge is quite a bit south of Glitter Gulch--somewhere around mile 135 on the Park Highway--or 10-15 miles north of Trapper Creek.

3 hours to Anchorage sounds reasonable, given good traffic.

Instead of the Princess bus, have you looked into hiring a private van to take you earlier in the day? It might be cheaper than changing your flights and booking hotel rooms.

The Denali Princess Lodge is quite a bit south of Glitter Gulch--somewhere around mile 135 on the Park Highway--or 10-15 miles north of Trapper Creek.

3 hours to Anchorage sounds reasonable, given good traffic.

Instead of the Princess bus, have you looked into hiring a private van to take you earlier in the day? It might be cheaper than changing your flights and booking hotel rooms.

The McKinley Princess lodge is at the address you gave above.

If they are staying at the Denali Princess Lodge then they are at

Mile 238 5 George Parks Hwy

Denali National Park, AK

So, yes as long as DOT isn't doing construction and there aren't any wrecks the 3 hours makes sense, but if they are at the Denali Princess as the OP stated, then no way the bus is getting from Denali to Anchorage in 3 hours, more like 5 or a bit more.

I truly want to thank everyone of you that replied back with info in regards to our Alaska flights. This is why Cruise Critics friends are so special!!! Thank you so much.

We have not booked our flights from Anchorage to Denver yet. We have been exploring all avenues yes, even hiring a private van (which is really costly).

We are stopping over in Denver to visit our Grandson ad wife. We actually park our truck in Nashville and will be returning there, pickup truck and then the drive home to Evansville, IN

This is our "booking confirmation from Princess"; We are at McKinnley Princess Lodge for the last 2 nights (9-3 & 9-4) of our land package. Then on 9-5 they will take us by motorcoach from McKinnley to Anchorage Airport at 8:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. I booked all of this with Princess direct.

I was wrong in thinking we were staying at the Denali Princess Lodge our last couple of nights. It is the McKinnley Princess Lodge, don't know what I was thinking. We are doing the rail from Denali to Talkeetnaon another day.

So we are now looking at 1:30 p.m. from Anchorage airport on Alaska Airlines and arriving in Seattle at 5:50 p.m. and spending the night in a hotel. Leaving Seattle the next morning at 10:55 a.m. ariving Denver at 2:30 p.m. Just will miss a day at our Grandson's, but we would have got in late (9:19 p.m.) if we could have made the arrangements work out of Anchorage airport at 12:30 p.m. Any suggestions on a hotel in Seattle near the airport? We Been on Tripadvisor checking hotels out.

Thanks to everyone and if you have anymore info, please post. Thanks

Wanda

Archived