Which walkie talkies work best?

Iluvjo

The problem I have with walkie talkies is that too many times the ambient room sound is too loud for you to hear when you're being called on them.

Has anyone else had arguments with their spouse that started with "I've been trying to reach you for 40 minutes!! How come you didn't answer!??"

And many like to forget that they are illegal in many parts of the world, i.e. some of the Caribbean, Canada, Mexico and parts of Europe. They conflict with some foreign military and police channels. There are dozens of posts out here both pro and con.

Interesting, I never heard of them beeing illegal in Canada ! But then again I am not a legal expert... Tons of campers and fisherman use them...

• 5 months later...
Thanks to all you that offered help.:) I understand that some of you really has distaste for walkie talkies. I have cruised 6 times and I can't remember a single time where a person using w.t. have been a disturbance to me or my family. I am going under the impression that those who posted unhelpful comments most of had a bad experience.

The idea of Cruise Critic for me is to learn from past experiences of others and base my decision on those fellow travelers. I am wonder if those who post disparaging comments have nothing new to learn in life and are the glass half empty types.

And really, if I was told that I was bothering a person or group with my w.t. on the ship I would gladly turn off the device or move away. Wouldn't you do the same?

We are going on Voyager of the Seas next year (Australian waters). There are 43 people travelling in our group and we have kids with us ranting from 8 - 17. We will definately need walkie talkies to keep our group together!!

• 2 months later...
I was going to go the walkie talkie route on our Oasis cruise, but after a lot of research I decided to just use text messaging on board. It was $. 50 outgoing and$. 05 incoming. I think we spent a total of $15 for the week. A lot cheaper than buying radios and it definitely works! Just my two cents :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I thought if you had to pay roaming fees when you used your cell phone even for texting? Is there something special you need to do to your phone?

Wow, this is a tough issue, with quite a few heated threads. I agree about talking incessantly in peaceful places, etc. Bad, annoying. But I have kids I'd like to keep track of. But not annoyingly. I just want to be pinged when they are bored of the kids place and want to be picked up, those kinds of logistical + safety things.

So I'd think walkie talkies might be a good option, esp those with text function (which I'd never heard of before). Perhaps we could talk more about those phones, and consequences of use as one approaches Mexico, etc.

• 6 months later...

I can't believe how rude some people can be just commenting to someone's inquiry on this subject. Really...comparing flatulence and walkie talkies to kids, please! I realize texting is best however some are extremely expensive on international, so for some this is not best. We have a party of 10 so just trying to figure out how to communicate best but gee, continue to be rude. However, if someone has a better idea, I would love to hear it.

I would agree that using walkies for conversation could be annoying, but as others have stated, discrete use should not be a problem. I keep one on me. The other is in the cabin. Kids are done an activity and need me, they go back to the cabin and LMK they are there. I return tithe cabin. No conversation. If anyone really thinks that's too intrusive, that is their problem, not mine!

OP, I wish I could give you advice. Mine were given to me and are pretty old, but work just fine for their intended purpose. Good luck!

I can't believe how rude some people can be just commenting to someone's inquiry on this subject. Really...comparing flatulence and walkie talkies to kids, please! I realize texting is best however some are extremely expensive on international, so for some this is not best. We have a party of 10 so just trying to figure out how to communicate best but gee, continue to be rude. However, if someone has a better idea, I would love to hear it.

The best way to communicate with them is in-person conversation.

Semaphore flags are a better choice than walkie talkie radios.

I have to side with swsfrail on this. You asked for advice on what walkie-talkies worked best. Some people advised not to use them because they can be intrusive. Nothing wrong with pointing that out - it's a simple fact. People are sometimes bothered by their use.

I don't cruise often. On my last cruise on a sea day I found a good spot in the shade (I'm prone to skin cancer so must stay out of the sun) and proceeded to enjoy a good book. After about an hour the lounger next to me became vacant and soon a young lady about half my age sat down and instantly began using her device to chat with her girlfriend somewhere else on the ship. After about 10 minutes of constant chatter, which included that %&@($%&$ "BLEEP" every time she let go of the talk button, I politely asked if she could refrain from using her device as it was interrupting an otherwise quiet location. She pretty much to me where to go, and proceeded to describe to her friend what a "total tool" she was sitting next to. Not once did she attempt to be a good neighbor. After several more minutes of this rudeness, I gave up, left my perfect spot, and went back to my room.

And that is why I don't like them, and will advise someone to leave them at home. Rudeness more often than not comes from people who insist on being the center of the universe, doing whatever they want, and expecting the rest of us to "deal with it".

Ok totally sort of off topic but I had to write. Just this week at the gym I had a great workout going. They have music piped in the gym and tv's at each station (no sound unless headphones). This young woman joins next to me and proceeded to talk on the phone (I know all about the upcoming wedding in the Keys and that some family member didn't come to an event and they hope it was because she REALLY wasn't feeling well and NOT because she was angry with Kevin)...anyway you get my point. So to drown out her constant chatter I started singing to the music (just her and I there and I CAN'T Sing) and when I didn't know the words I hummed. Not terribly loudly, just enough to drown out her chatter. After a minute or two she got the point and said "I'll call you back later"...I immediately stopped singing/humming. What I really wanted to do was ask "So did you figure out exactly WHY she didn't come to the event? Do you think she was REALLY sick?"...but I didn't. She got it.

I could see another use for walkie talkies. If someone were ill or couldn't get around well and needed to be able to contact their loved one for something if they were out of the stateroom.

Oh, good! A game of fishing for any reason to use them. I love games. I'll play:

If someone encountered a band of pirates climbing onto the promenade deck and needed to contact someone to warn them to take their afternoon walk somewhere else.

If someone saw a giant squid about to attack the ship and needed to contact the husband to hurry and bring the camera for those once-in-a-lifetime vacation photos.

If someone saw their favorite fish swimming alongside the ship and needed to contact the chef to snatch it so he could serve it to them for dinner.

If someone dropped their dentures off the tail of the ship and needed the captain to stop the ship and retrieve them.

If someone was sunning on a perfectly located lounger, ran out of sun screen, and needed someone to bring them a new bottle.

:D:D:D

Oh, good! A game of fishing for any reason to use them. I love games. I'll play:

If someone encountered a band of pirates climbing onto the promenade deck and needed to contact someone to warn them to take their afternoon walk somewhere else.

If someone saw a giant squid about to attack the ship and needed to contact the husband to hurry and bring the camera for those once-in-a-lifetime vacation photos.

If someone saw their favorite fish swimming alongside the ship and needed to contact the chef to snatch it so he could serve it to them for dinner.

If someone dropped their dentures off the tail of the ship and needed the captain to stop the ship and retrieve them.

If someone was sunning on a perfectly located lounger, ran out of sun screen, and needed someone to bring them a new bottle.

:D:D:D

Ok I wasn't trying to cause trouble or even fishing for a reason. I've never used regular walkie talkies BUT I had something that used a walkie talkie type thing (freedom Alert) for my 82 year old father and I can't tell you without a doubt it was and DID save his life twice. So obviously you have never cared for someone who might just need you at the drop of a hat as I did for my mother and my father before they passed and I can tell you this it gave them and I MUCH needed piece of mind, not to mention saving dad's life twice. So you can play your silly game, I wasn't trying to play a silly game but point out how someone might NEED to use such a device.

I will say this, I would have used a bull horn to save someone or help them in need if I had to.

You know sloopsailor I think you're just a bully.

At least I have a sense of humor, which apparently you have a short supply of. :)

So, to play the part of the 'bully" you think I am for posting some humor, I'll certainly make your day with my next statement:

If a person is so ill or incapacitated that they need a walkie talkie to contact you for help, perhaps you should not leave them alone on a cruise ship in the first place. :eek:

At least I have a sense of humor, which apparently you have a short supply of. :)

I appreciated your humor.:D:D

So, to play the part of the 'bully" you think I am for posting some humor, I'll certainly make your day with my next statement:

If a person is so ill or incapacitated that they need a walkie talkie to contact you for help, perhaps you should not leave them alone on a cruise ship in the first place. :eek:

I guess you restrained yourself because you could have gone one step more.;)

• 5 weeks later...

Good thread other than the people that think everyone should conform to their way of thinking. How about you start another thread complaining about walkie talkies and I will read that if I want. I love the guy trying to say complaining about the walkie talkie was helping the OP.

Anyways it will be a great tool to keep in touch with our group. On Disney they provide phones to do this and it was great.

Ok I wasn't trying to cause trouble or even fishing for a reason. I've never used regular walkie talkies BUT I had something that used a walkie talkie type thing (freedom Alert) for my 82 year old father and I can't tell you without a doubt it was and DID save his life twice. So obviously you have never cared for someone who might just need you at the drop of a hat as I did for my mother and my father before they passed and I can tell you this it gave them and I MUCH needed piece of mind, not to mention saving dad's life twice. So you can play your silly game, I wasn't trying to play a silly game but point out how someone might NEED to use such a device.

I will say this, I would have used a bull horn to save someone or help them in need if I had to.

I thought what you posted was very funny :D

Sometimes folks jump in and tell you more than you need to know...........and they usually don't have a sense of humor.

Thank you sloopsailor!

Archived