Which walkie talkies work best?

Iluvjo

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I'm excited about NCLs I-concierge on their newer ships. But since I'm sailing on an older boat, I'll be bringing walkie talkies. We have a large group, one of which is 80 and has difficult walking and is on oxygen. Communication is a necessity and sticky notes on cabin doors won't work. I think if walkie talkie users followed some basic etiquette, there would be fewer annoyed people.

Buy units with a vibrate function. This eliminates the annoying beep. When you want to use them, walk away from most people. Like if you're in a quiet restaurant, step outside for a minute. Talk at a normal speaking voice. Keep conversations to an absolute minimum. Example: "where are you?" "Spinnaker lounge." "On my way." Done. Save actual conversations for in person.

If you want to be annoyed, here is a list of other things you can also be annoyed about:,drunk people. Loud people. Rude people. People who talk during shows, people who put their stuff on deck chairs then vanish, loud teen agers, young kids, people who don't let you off elevators when they get on, ad infinitum. There is no shortage of things to be annoyed with if you so choose. Let it go and you will enjoy your vacation much more.

If you want to be annoyed, here is a list of other things you can also be annoyed about:,drunk people. Loud people. Rude people. People who talk during shows, people who put their stuff on deck chairs then vanish, loud teen agers, young kids, people who don't let you off elevators when they get on, ad infinitum. There is no shortage of things to be annoyed with if you so choose. Let it go and you will enjoy your vacation much more.

You forgot to include "people who lecture us on how to enjoy our vacations". :rolleyes:

LOL! How ironic that here is a poster lecturing us not to let the annoying thing that he is going to do bother us. Seems to be one sided advice to me. Worded another way, his advice would be "If you are bothered by my annoying behavior, that's your problem - deal with it!". :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Leave 'em home.

Nothing's worse than being in your lounge chair by the pool, soaking in the sun, enjoying the peace and solitude, opening your book, sipping your drink . . . and then being bombarded by a metallic voice from several seats away demanding, "VICTORIA, VICTORIA, WHERE ARE YOU?" static, static, static . . . "VICTORIA, YOU'D BETTER ANSWER" . . . "DADDY, IS THAT YOU? DADDY?" static, static, static . . . "WHERE ARE YOU?" static, static, static . . . "VICTORIA?" And it goes on and on and on.

Leave 'em home.

Also remember this: When on a vessel flagged by a different country you are under the rules and laws of that country. This includes radio traffic.

One of the big rules in Amateur radio is when maritime mobile, you have to have a license for the country in which the vessel is flagged, and permission from the master of the vessel to operate any radio equipment. If the ship is flagged in the Bahamas or Panama, your radios have to follow the bandplans set out by the governing agency (equivalent to the FCC) of that country, not the country you are sailing from. Once you step foot on land you have to follow the bandplans set out by that country's governing agency.

The question of legality is pretty clear, only if they have a bandplan similar to the FCC's and those bands are unlicensed or have a reciprocal agreement for FCC licenses are you allowed to use those devices.

Knowing the legal ramifications, I personally would never use them outside of the US, or on any vessel not flagged in the US.

OMG People. Seriously! I hear everyday how people are arrested at sea for using a Walkie Talkie. :D

We get the point you do not like them! And you have nothing better to do that try every angle to stop the blight of walkie talkie use on cruises. Not going to stop me from using one if I want. If it was a problem the cruise line would put a stop to it. And I am willing to bet you do something I do not like either. Like hijack forums to push your personal agenda.

It is ridiculous to say that because some people seem to be incapable of using W/Ts politely or discreetly (i.e., with earphones, and speaking at a normal conversation level), no one should use them. W/T's are fully capable of being used without causing offense or annoyance to others. (In fact, WTs transmit considerably less effectively when spoken into at elevated volumes).

If someone is using a W/T inappropriately and it bothers you, handle it as you would any "live" conversation that you might find offensive or annoying: politely ask them to end the conversation or relocate; if they choose not to do so, either 1) relocate yourself, 2) report them, or 3) tolerate it.

In my experience, comments from posters who politely ask/encourage passengers to please use W/Ts courteously and with discretion are typically received graciously. But to expect snark, judgementalism and rudeness to be received with deference is unrealistic, and arrogant.

I know this is an old thread, but why on earth would someone who had been sitting some where be the one who has to "relocate themselves" when a nuisance comes along. How about the @$$ who is being obnoxious be the one to move along?

OMG People. Seriously! I hear everyday how people are arrested at sea for using a Walkie Talkie. :D

We get the point you do not like them! And you have nothing better to do that try every angle to stop the blight of walkie talkie use on cruises. Not going to stop me from using one if I want. If it was a problem the cruise line would put a stop to it. And I am willing to bet you do something I do not like either. Like hijack forums to push your personal agenda.

Which the ship security will do if YOU become a problem. I have seen it done. And I was grateful that it was.

As for personal agendas: read your own posts. You are pushing your own "I'm using my walkie talkie and you can shove it" agenda, so why shouldn't we be able to push ours? Or is this only a one sided discussion and you alone decide what side is acceptable? :rolleyes:

I don't care if they are used or not, my personal agenda is I will do nothing that could lead to legal trouble, especially in other countries.

I just pointed out the legality of them for those that it matters to, if someone believes that they can get away with it, then by all means. Just be courteous to those in audio and in RF range, if you find you are interfering with someone else via speaker noise or hear things on the radio that you might be messing with cease usage and find another location/channel/whatever.

I do not recall anyone using them on previous trips, so please do not read my post as hostile.

You sound like a person who doesn't have consideration for others comfort at all....it's all about you. As for an agenda, re-look your post and see if it doesn't fit.

Knowing the legal ramifications, I personally would never use them outside of the US, or on any vessel not flagged in the US.

Hmm, well, Hmm.

I find there is no way to respond to this post without sounding disrespectful.

It's, hmm, well , hmm.

OK, I give up.

Burt

Hmm, well, Hmm.

I find there is no way to respond to this post without sounding disrespectful.

It's, hmm, well , hmm.

OK, I give up.

Burt

I don't quite understand this post, but I have stated before that they haven't bothered me in the past. You can be as disrespectful as you wish, but know that I have no bad intentions. I only posted this because of the training I have received in regards to operation of radio devices outside of the US borders and figured some others might want to know.

My post was neither angry or aggressive, and I understand that it is all too easy to read a post and infer the worst by a poster.

If someone decides to take these radios on vacation, I hope they have a good time. If someone decides to not take these radios on vacation, I hope they have a good time. As long as everyone shows a little respect to those around them, I am sure we will all have enjoyable cruises and hope everyone will be home safe when the trip is over.

This thread is almost hilarious. For the record, wish people would stop spreading misinformation as fact. Walkie talkies use frs band which is completely legal and requires no license. It's legal in the US, Canada and Mexico. In the Caribbean, it's either legal or they have no policy against it. And when ships are at sea, they are under maritime law.

This thread is almost hilarious. For the record, wish people would stop spreading misinformation as fact. Walkie talkies use frs band which is completely legal and requires no license. It's legal in the US, Canada and Mexico. In the Caribbean, it's either legal or they have no policy against it. And when ships are at sea, they are under maritime law.

Well, none of that matters. They are still mostly useless and always annoying.

Archived