Why doesn't Epic do Western Caribbean?

Does anyone know why the Epic stopped doing the Western Caribbean? Having just sailed on her two weeks ago for the Eastern Caribbean, I would love to sail on her again... but not with the same itinerary.

My other option is the Med, but that's such a long flight to Barcelona or Rome.

I asked that question while onboard the Epic and the answer I got was that the Western itinerary wasn't popular enough. I'm not sure I buy it myself but that was their story.

OP, I'm with you - I'd book the Epic again in a heartbeat but I really don't want to do the same itinerary on this ship as I did in December.

My other option is the Med, but that's such a long flight to Barcelona or Rome.

The flight is worth doing for a good cruise. ;) Also Med is a great cruise destination, I highly recommend trying it.

We have 14h40 trip to get to Miami on wednesday. Although I have to agree that it's easier to fly westbound so we'll have worse jet lag after we get back home.

The flight is worth doing for a good cruise. ;) Also Med is a great cruise destination, I highly recommend trying it.

We have 14h40 trip to get to Miami on wednesday. Although I have to agree that it's easier to fly westbound so we'll have worse jet lag after we get back home.

It is definitely on my list..... :) Is it better to sail out of Rome or Barcelona? My ideal cruise would be a 7-day Med followed by the transatlantic back to Miami. I just have to wait to get more weeks of vacation from work so I can make that happen!

We had cancelled a cruise we had previously booked on the Epic for the Western because they cancelled they itinerary and switched it to the Eastern. We had no desire to do the Eastern so we cancelled it. Ended up booking the Pearl which we have done before, but at least it goes to the Western which has places my husband hasn't been to yet.

Guess my new ship experience will end up being the Breakaway which we have booked for next April.

I asked that question while onboard the Epic and the answer I got was that the Western itinerary wasn't popular enough. I'm not sure I buy it myself but that was their story.

OP, I'm with you - I'd book the Epic again in a heartbeat but I really don't want to do the same itinerary on this ship as I did in December.

My thoughts...I know when I first sailed the Epic, it did both (back in 2010). I was also wondering why they don't do the western any more myself.

However, if they say that the western isn't popular enough, why do I find it hard to find a ship (other than Epic) sailing the Eastern for a 7 day? We did a western 6 months ago on the Spirit (Costa Maya, Cozumel, Roatan, Belize) and the another western last month (Cozumel, GSC, Cayman, Jamaica) and I remember having several different ship choices to chose from. When I look for an eastern, I seem to only get the Epic unless it's a 10 or 11 day cruise. So if eastern is so popular, why aren't there more choices sailing eastern? It doesn't make sense to me. (Unless it's just the times that I have to cruise that there doesn't seem to be any more ships on the eastern side. I don't know for sure because it's the only time I can book, so I don't look at other months). :confused:

It is definitely on my list..... :) Is it better to sail out of Rome or Barcelona? My ideal cruise would be a 7-day Med followed by the transatlantic back to Miami. I just have to wait to get more weeks of vacation from work so I can make that happen!

In terms of getting to and from the ship it is much better to cruise from Barcelona than Rome.

Assuming you would spend a day or two before the cruise (which I strongly recommend), it depends which city you want to see most.

I wish another ship besides the Epic would do the Eastern. I don't want to sail the Epic and there are several ships doing the Western. Spread the wealth a little!:(

I agree. The Epic is too big for my liking and NCL loses cruisers because no other ships do the eastern.

Archived