Suppose you book an excursion through Carnival and it returns late

Jimi123

Does the ship wait, or are you totally screwed?

It is my understanding that is one of the advantages to booking an excursion through the cruise line - the ship will wait if a cruise sponsored excursion is late returning to the port.

It you're on an excursion through an independent tour operator, the ship will not wait.

What if they are really late due to something? How long will they wait?

Honestly the ship probably will not wait forever. The chances of an excursion being so late that the ship has to leave are probably pretty slim.

Although, Carnival advertises that the ship will wait for you, I have yet to actually seen it in the cruise contract or a timeframe of how long they will actually wait.

When we were on Freedom in 2010 in Costa Rica, the ship waited 45 minutes for three buses that were part of one Ship excursion to come back. Apparently they were having way too much fun and someone forgot about the time. Needless to say everyone who was already on board were pissed off when we saw the people exit the buses and not seem to have a care in the world for their fellow passengers who wanted the ship to leave and head towards Panama. These people (from the bus) were taking their sweet time getting back on board, stopping off to purchase trinkets, basically showing that they suffered from entitlementitis and were going to board the ship when THEY were ready and not when the folks at the gangways told them to.

Needless to say, this group of passengers were not well received once back on board!

The ship will wait.

When my sister was planning her first cruise her coworkers were telling her to book her excursion privately since they are so much cheaper than carnival's. She was kinda irritated with me and was asking why I didn't tell her that and I simply told her: "Yes carnival's excursions are more expensive, but they are like an insurance plan. You pay more for the fact that the ship will wait for you if you are late returning" and it's so true.

The ship will wait.

When my sister was planning her first cruise her coworkers were telling her to book her excursion privately since they are so much cheaper than carnival's. She was kinda irritated with me and was asking why I didn't tell her that and I simply told her: "Yes carnival's excursions are more expensive, but they are like an insurance plan. You pay more for the fact that the ship will wait for you if you are late returning" and it's so true.

True but private tours are better, cheaper and less crowded. We make sure the tour is scheduled to be back long before sailaway.

We always book privately and never have missed the ship sailing. The Independent Tour Contractors survive by passengers booking privately, and their reputation is on the line from the time groups are picked up, until the groups are dropped back off at the terminal. We always make arrangements with whatever tour company we are using for our excursion to end a minimum of two hours before the ship sails - this way we can see as much as we can, and still get back to the terminal to do some shopping or board. That plus we'd rather support local economies than fatten Carnival's wallet.

That plus we'd rather support local economies than fatten Carnival's wallet.

You do realize that the excursions are still run by local companies, right? Sure, Carnival is taking a cut, but you can consider that a commission and the cost of security of not missing a ship.

I don't have strong feelings either way, but I think painting it as though Carnival is getting all of the money for the excursion is misleading.

Honestly the ship probably will not wait forever. The chances of an excursion being so late that the ship has to leave are probably pretty slim.

Although, Carnival advertises that the ship will wait for you, I have yet to actually seen it in the cruise contract or a timeframe of how long they will actually wait.

It is my understanding that they can't wait "forever", but if they must leave you behind, they will get you to the next port at their expense.

Does the ship wait, or are you totally screwed?

That is one of the perks of booking through carnival. They wait. In 2010 our group was late due to driver of tour not us and the ship had to wait. They blew there horn a lot more but they waited haha

We were on the Winery Tour in Ensenada a few years ago when we were stuck out in the middle of the counrtyside on a bus. We couldn't get up a steep hill as it was raining and the hill was covered in mud. The bus kept sliding back to the bottom!:eek: It took a few hours to get some machinery out there to clear the road so we could pass. Since we were on a Carnival sponsered tour, the ship waited for us. We were 2 hours late getting back to ship. The tour operator was in contact with Carnival the whole time and she assured us that the ship would wait. I was never so happy to see that ship still there when we came into eye contack of the port!:)

True but private tours are better, cheaper and less crowded. We make sure the tour is scheduled to be back long before sailaway.

true but for some people going through Carnival prevents a lot of stress and anxiety. We did Carnival only our first cruise for that reason :D now we do any

The ship will wait.

except for my first couple cruises i always book independent tours and have never even had a close call.:)

Bill

true but for some people going through Carnival prevents a lot of stress and anxiety. We did Carnival only our first cruise for that reason :D now we do any

People should certainly do ship one first time or two and than whatever they are comfortable with.

We were on the Winery Tour in Ensenada a few years ago when we were stuck out in the middle of the counrtyside on a bus. We couldn't get up a steep hill as it was raining and the hill was covered in mud. The bus kept sliding back to the bottom!:eek: It took a few hours to get some machinery out there to clear the road so we could pass. Since we were on a Carnival sponsered tour, the ship waited for us. We were 2 hours late getting back to ship. The tour operator was in contact with Carnival the whole time and she assured us that the ship would wait. I was never so happy to see that ship still there when we came into eye contack of the port!:)

OMG that must have been a scary experience!

We left Jamaica late because a Carnival tour was late. I would sure hate to be left overnight there!!

I was told I did not need a passport when I booked my cruise, now read I needed one incase I missed the ship. I have already booked a private excursion to zipline etc. I am with you cruisinjen I fear being left there without a passport. What is the worst senario of being left there without a passport? :eek:

Archived