Suppose you book an excursion through Carnival and it returns late

Jimi123

It is my understanding that they can't wait "forever", but if they must leave you behind, they will get you to the next port at their expense.

It has happened before. The ship had to leave port before dark from the particular port. All guests were flown to the next port and compensated by the cruise company. Very rare indeed as the ship will always wait if practical.

We've been late twice on Carnival tours---the bus in Barbados got a flat, NO SPARE! We had to wait for a replacement bus, the ship waited----a HUGE traffic jam in Panama, the ship waited.

There are reputable tour companies (like Viator) that guarantee to fly you to the next port if late, but really, do you want to miss the ship life till then?

I've booked outside tours when I have 3 or more hours leeway.

Here is an video (just click on it) taken by a passenger showing that----

People should certainly do ship one first time or two and than whatever they are comfortable with.

We do alot of indepedents....but if there is something that we really want to do that is far from port, or an allday event like ruins, we'll book though the ship so we don't have to worry about getting back late.

We do alot of indepedents....but if there is something that we really want to do that is far from port, or an allday event like ruins, we'll book though the ship so we don't have to worry about getting back late.

Agreed. Would not do ferry thru panama canal thru private tour as it is known to be very late on a regular basis.

On our first cruise our Carnival Excursion in Grand Cayman was late. And by late I mean 20 Carnival White Uniformed staff members were standing there at the pier waiting on our return and got on the tenders after the 3 buses of passengers did and the Cayman personnel waved good-bye and closed up the pier behind us all and went home.

There had been 3 ships in port that day and we were their hold up. The excursion operators had cell phones and radios and were in contract with Carnival for over an hour as they dealt with the delay.

When I asked one of the White Uniforms I was told it is a RARE instance indeed that the ship sails without everyone from a Carnival excursion being back on board and getting passengers to the next port is Carnival's responsibility as someone else has mentioned.

In Cozumel in January 2009 we watched a Carnival excursion which had gone to the mainland arrive back in port almost 2 hours after we should have sailed. It was getting dark - both the 3 ferries and Conquest had their lights on by the time everyone from the ferries was back on board Conquest. It looked like there were 250 or more people involved. It would have been an expensive proposition for Carnival to transport all those people back to Galveston (the next, and debarkation, port).

The ship cannot always wait and it is unrealistic to think they will do so.

We were on Carnival Spirit on a Hawaii cruise and were in Kauai when a Carnival sponsored excursion to Waimea Canyon was late returning due to traffic. The ship's Captain was on the tour, which consisted of three buses. The ship could not wait because of Port rules that did not allow any ship movement in the harbor after sunset.

We pulled out, and saw the first of the three buses reach the dock when we were maybe 200-300 yards out. We did not stop.

Carnival did arrange overnight accomodations for all those people and transportation to the next port, where they caught up to us the next day.

The ship waits.

meanwhile, on the muster drill vs sail time, everyone is confidently posting when the harbor master says sail, you must sail.

i have actually read both things, but i've never had the pleasure to find out.

We were on Carnival Spirit on a Hawaii cruise and were in Kauai when a Carnival sponsored excursion to Waimea Canyon was late returning due to traffic. The ship's Captain was on the tour, which consisted of three buses. The ship could not wait because of Port rules that did not allow any ship movement in the harbor after sunset.

We pulled out, and saw the first of the three buses reach the dock when we were maybe 200-300 yards out. We did not stop.

Carnival did arrange overnight accomodations for all those people and transportation to the next port, where they caught up to us the next day.

Wow left without the capt

So, I wonder what would happen if some of the people on the tour didn't have passports? They couldn't be flown to the next stop.

When we were on Freedom in 2010 in Costa Rica, the ship waited 45 minutes for three buses that were part of one Ship excursion to come back. Apparently they were having way too much fun and someone forgot about the time. Needless to say everyone who was already on board were pissed off when we saw the people exit the buses and not seem to have a care in the world for their fellow passengers who wanted the ship to leave and head towards Panama. These people (from the bus) were taking their sweet time getting back on board, stopping off to purchase trinkets, basically showing that they suffered from entitlementitis and were going to board the ship when THEY were ready and not when the folks at the gangways told them to.

Needless to say, this group of passengers were not well received once back on board!

why were other passengers pissed? I don't see how it'll affect them in anyway, not like the ship won't make up 45mins or even more. The rest of the pax are on the ship and enjoying themselves already.

So, I wonder what would happen if some of the people on the tour didn't have passports? They couldn't be flown to the next stop.

Pretty sure it wouldn't me an issue in this case as it's all in America:)

But elsewhere, yes, it would be a big issue.

why were other passengers pissed? I don't see how it'll affect them in anyway, not like the ship won't make up 45mins or even more. The rest of the pax are on the ship and enjoying themselves already.

Was wondering about that.

Not Carnival - we were on Holland America. My husband booked a salmon fishing trip in Ketchikan through the ship. My son and I watched from the balcony as they rolled up the red carpet, brought in the fancy plants, and removed the hand sanitizer station. Everyone was on board when a small bus came driving in and my hubby and friends ran up the gang plank. The excursion was in constant contact with the ship and they knew they would be arriving late. I'm convinced they would have been left if they booked the fishing trip on their own. With that said, we book independent excursions almost all of the time and never had a close call!

True but private tours are better, cheaper and less crowded. We make sure the tour is scheduled to be back long before sailaway.

Exactly. I paid much less than half of what the ship was charging for the tours I did in Cabo and PV a couple of weeks ago.

Sometimes, the price difference is small, in which case I'll book the ship's excursion, but the majority of the time there is a steep price increase.

I don't book a private tour that is scheduled to less than a couple of hours of the ship's departure though.

Exactly. I paid much less than half of what the ship was charging for the tours I did in Cabo and PV a couple of weeks ago.

Sometimes, the price difference is small, in which case I'll book the ship's excursion, but the majority of the time there is a steep price increase.

I don't book a private tour that is scheduled to less than a couple of hours of the ship's departure though.

Some I just can't do. Snorkle/scuba trips through the ship are so overpriced and the experience just plain sucks for anyone with any kind of experience. We always book those type of excursions private, never again though the ship....

Does the ship wait, or are you totally screwed?

There are more advantages: Carnival also makes sure the companies are bonded and insured. The transportation meets safety regulations that locals do not have to comply with. You you are injured on a Carnival tour, you medical on the ship is free. I broke my hand on one of their tours and their was no charge at all for the medical care I received. If the port is cancelled, refunds are credited right back to you. If the tour is not what was promised, Carnival will give partial refunds.

We also use our seamiles card, so double points earned. We have also used points to buy tours on future cruises. We have never experienced crowding or any of the problems that are claimed for private vs Carnival tours. The groups are often separated in to smaller vehicles anyway, and often into small vans. Over 20 cruises and we book 3-6 Carnival excursions per trip, and we have never had any of the problems I see on this board regarding crowds or anything else. Private tours need other people to get the good prices. If you cannot fill your van, you are charged much more money. There are always big pushes towards private tours because without a full van, it is much more expensive.

For us, money is not the factor. Safety, ease of vacation, and no worries are what is important to us.

There are more advantages: Carnival also makes sure the companies are bonded and insured. The transportation meets safety regulations that locals do not have to comply with. You you are injured on a Carnival tour, you medical on the ship is free. I broke my hand on one of their tours and their was no charge at all for the medical care I received. If the port is cancelled, refunds are credited right back to you. If the tour is not what was promised, Carnival will give partial refunds.

We also use our seamiles card, so double points earned. We have also used points to buy tours on future cruises. We have never experienced crowding or any of the problems that are claimed for private vs Carnival tours. The groups are often separated in to smaller vehicles anyway, and often into small vans. Over 20 cruises and we book 3-6 Carnival excursions per trip, and we have never had any of the problems I see on this board regarding crowds or anything else. Private tours need other people to get the good prices. If you cannot fill your van, you are charged much more money. There are always big pushes towards private tours because without a full van, it is much more expensive.

For us, money is not the factor. Safety, ease of vacation, and no worries are what is important to us.

I certainly can't agree with your statement about independent excursions.

I have never gone up to somebody at the pier gotten a price and then they came back and said, sorry the price is higher now,we can't get enough people.

I have seen the cruiselines cancel excursions because not enough signed up.

Bill

---

... Private tours need other people to get the good prices. If you cannot fill your van, you are charged much more money. There are always big pushes towards private tours because without a full van, it is much more expensive.

---

I can't agree with this part of your post. I just paid less than half of what Carnival was charging for a private taxi tour in Puerto Vallarta. There were only 3 of us and the total cost was less than what it cost for one person through Carnival.

On numerous other islands, I did private tours and the vans were not full, nor did they charge us more. We did have to wait for about 15 minutes while they tried to fill the van, but I was never charged more.

The only exception was Aruba where the ship tours were much less crowded than the private tours.

Archived