4J versus 1A with porthole and sofa bed?

SNJCruisers

I have a dilemma that I would like some input with. On a previous cruise, I was in a 1A with a porthole and a sofa bed and I enjoyed it very much. I am now trying to decide if it is worth the extra money to bump up to a 4J. With the 4J, we would have two beds to push together as well as a sofa and of course the larger window. With the 1A, the sofa is made into a bed, it can't be pushed next to the twin bed and it's two small portholes instead of the larger window. The regular porthole cabins are all gone for the cruise I am looking at, so that is not an option. Deck wise, the 1A is on 1 or 2, while the 4J is on 6, 7, 9 or 10. The price difference is 20% more, or 90 per person, 180 for the two of us. Thanks for your input.

Since you comment on pushing the beds together - I'm guessing - Husband and wife. ;) I understand. I'm in a similar situation. Booked ES 4E (upper deck) (no price drops) but today there is a Pack N Go for OV and Bal and we could go OV for $180 + tax but then we'd be on deck 2. I don't want to be on deck 2. But it would be nice to have the bigger room.

Yours is a bit different. $180 - will you notice the nicer room? Yes. will you notice the change in location? Yes.

How long is your cruise? If it is 3-4 days - or maybe even 5 days - I would say no if you didn't mind the sofa last time. You are talking your tip amount.

But for a 7 day cruise - $180 is probably not much compared to what you have spent and if you add $90 to the overall cost of your trip - what is your rate per day? I think a lot of people try and stay at the $100 per day.

Hope this helps...

I have a dilemma that I would like some input with. On a previous cruise, I was in a 1A with a porthole and a sofa bed and I enjoyed it very much. I am now trying to decide if it is worth the extra money to bump up to a 4J. With the 4J, we would have two beds to push together as well as a sofa and of course the larger window. With the 1A, the sofa is made into a bed, it can't be pushed next to the twin bed and it's two small portholes instead of the larger window. The regular porthole cabins are all gone for the cruise I am looking at, so that is not an option. Deck wise, the 1A is on 1 or 2, while the 4J is on 6, 7, 9 or 10. The price difference is 20% more, or 90 per person, 180 for the two of us. Thanks for your input.

On the Freedom, our 4J didn't have a sofa, it had a small table and chair, and it didn't have as much storage as the regular rooms. :( It did have a larger bathroom and it was also nice to be able to walk out thru the secret door close down the hall onto the huge balcony as we pulled into port. :p Hope this helps. :D

I took some over the door hooks and this was a big help to hang my dresses, etc.

On the Freedom, our 4J didn't have a sofa, it had a small table and chair, and it didn't have as much storage as the regular rooms. :( It did have a larger bathroom and it was also nice to be able to walk out thru the secret door close down the hall onto the huge balcony as we pulled into port. :p Hope this helps. :D

I took some over the door hooks and this was a big help to hang my dresses, etc.

Thankyou, for the over the door hook idea, never thought to bring them but it would be so nice to have things hung outside of the doors for the night your wearing them. DH and I will be in a 4J on the Liberty this Jan on the Lido deck, then go to a 5 day on the Destiny in a port hole on the 1st deck. Were use to balconey cabins but want to save some money. I've been trying to talk him into doing this for years. This way we can afford to cruise more days and enjoy both ships!!

Since you comment on pushing the beds together - I'm guessing - Husband and wife. ;) I understand. I'm in a similar situation. Booked ES 4E (upper deck) (no price drops) but today there is a Pack N Go for OV and Bal and we could go OV for $180 + tax but then we'd be on deck 2. I don't want to be on deck 2. But it would be nice to have the bigger room.

Yours is a bit different. $180 - will you notice the nicer room? Yes. will you notice the change in location? Yes.

How long is your cruise? If it is 3-4 days - or maybe even 5 days - I would say no if you didn't mind the sofa last time. You are talking your tip amount.

But for a 7 day cruise - $180 is probably not much compared to what you have spent and if you add $90 to the overall cost of your trip - what is your rate per day? I think a lot of people try and stay at the $100 per day.

Hope this helps...

Like I said in my OP, the difference is 20% more 452 pp versus 542 pp, it's a 6 day cruise. So it's 75 per day versus 90 per day. That 75 looks really good....

On the Freedom, our 4J didn't have a sofa, it had a small table and chair, and it didn't have as much storage as the regular rooms. :( It did have a larger bathroom

So, since you had the larger bathroom, I assume it was a handicapped cabin you were in?

IIRC, it's the 2 end cabins that are HC, right? The ones in the middle are not and the beds can be pushed together. You can check it out on the deck plan of your ship.

I would go for the 4J. One of the best deals (if not THE best), IMO. Much better location and the added bonus of a 'semi-private' balcony.

Might as well try something new. If you don't like it, switch back for your next cruise.

I love 4J cabins. I've stayed in 1001 on the Valor. 9201 and 9203 on the Triumph. These do not have direct ocean view but the bigger window is nice and you are a very short walk to the rarely used front viewing area.

As others have said, I don't think 4J rooms have a couch. Only a chair and table.

Before booking one of these rooms, check to see which ones are handicap as you could get booted if someone actually needs that room (assuming you don't have a legitimate handicap).

Thankyou, for the over the door hook idea, never thought to bring them but it would be so nice to have things hung outside of the doors for the night your wearing them. DH and I will be in a 4J on the Liberty this Jan on the Lido deck, then go to a 5 day on the Destiny in a port hole on the 1st deck. Were use to balconey cabins but want to save some money. I've been trying to talk him into doing this for years. This way we can afford to cruise more days and enjoy both ships!!

I learned to give up the balcony if it means that I can get another cruise booked. :D.

SNJ,

From one SNJ to another, take the 4J unless it will put a crimp in the budget. We really like those cabins. But you don't want to take the handicapped cabins are the ones on the end on Upper and Empress. First, because it's wrong, and secondly, they have a triangular shape and the beds can't be pushed together.

We had a 4J (6201) on the Dream and it had the sofa. We had a 4J (7201) on the Magic and it didn't have the sofa. We'll be on the Glory soon and picked three cabins on Deck 6 (6201, 6202, and 6203) for our family. It's nice to have if one of you is napping and the other wants to watch TV or read. We used to get balconies but I was the only one that used it and I really prefer the deck at the bow to a balcony for picture taking.

You will feel more motion if the sea is rough but the same thing is true for the porthole cabins. I personally like to feel the rocking. And it may be a long walk to the MDR. When we were in 6201 and 7201, we were assigned to the aft dining room. We stayed where we were the first time because we were sitting with friends. We had the maitre'd switch us the second time so that's really not a problem.

Hope this helps.

IIRC, it's the 2 end cabins that are HC, right? The ones in the middle are not and the beds can be pushed together. You can check it out on the deck plan of your ship.

I would go for the 4J. One of the best deals (if not THE best), IMO. Much better location and the added bonus of a 'semi-private' balcony.

Might as well try something new. If you don't like it, switch back for your next cruise.

It varies by ship. Looking at the deck plans for Breeze, exactly half of the 4J cabins are HC. EM

The 4Js that are not handicapped are 185 sq.ft. The 1As with portholes are 185 sq.ft. Regular interiors are 150-160 sq.ft (actual). No sofa in the 4Js. Both 4Js & the 1A portholes are in the front of the ship, so the motion will be comparable. So the main question for you would be: is it worth the extra money to have beds that push together? Is it worth it to have that forward observation deck just a few steps away from your room? It's not a balcony. Those decks are open to anyone, and at night, they'd be able to see into your room, if your lights are on and the shades are open. I'm not married, so the 1A with portholes would be my choice in a heartbeat. But only you can decide if it's worth it for you.

The 4Js that are not handicapped are 185 sq.ft. The 1As with portholes are 185 sq.ft. Regular interiors are 150-160 sq.ft (actual). No sofa in the 4Js. Both 4Js & the 1A portholes are in the front of the ship, so the motion will be comparable. So the main question for you would be: is it worth the extra money to have beds that push together? Is it worth it to have that forward observation deck just a few steps away from your room? It's not a balcony. Those decks are open to anyone, and at night, they'd be able to see into your room, if your lights are on and the shades are open. I'm not married, so the 1A with portholes would be my choice in a heartbeat. But only you can decide if it's worth it for you.

I am looking at an upcoming cruise on the Breeze and according to the Carnival website, their 4 J's do indeed have a sofa. I would have gotten a regular porthole cabin since their beds can be pushed together, but there are only six of them and they are all gone. Will show my GF pics of both cabins and let her decide. The cost savings of around 180 will cost me more in the long run if she is upset that we will not be sleeping right next to each other.;)

I liked the 4J, and I really liked that I didn't have to deal with the noise I've read so much about on the porthole rooms with the anchor. I'm a light sleeper so up on deck 10, was nice n quiet for me.

But since you mentioned pushing the beds together, do your research. While some 4Js do not convert to king, some do ... even if they are marked on the Carnival deck plan that they do not.

I stayed in one of the "triangle" shaped rooms and our beds did convert to King, even though I was told quite the opposite. Prior to booking I had found a website that had actual pictures of the cabin with the beds converted. So if you are concerned about the bed configuration be sure you get a response from people who have actually stayed in the cabin you are considering, or google your little fingers off to find pictures of that exact cabin.

I would take the 1A and save the money for other things unless you spend a lot of time in your cabin. We love the 1A with portholes:)

Don't all 1A's have 1 twin and either an upper or convertible couch...thus not being able to push anything together?

Archived