First time Cruise on Quest - need advice!

IowaGirl1

Hello,

What a delightful & helpful board! I've learned so much already!

My husband & myself are booked on the Quest departing Barcelona on July 27 for 7 days. I've not been to the ports we are visiting & this is our first cruise ever! (We are celebrating our 20th anniversary.) Any suggestions/advice regarding the cruise? And thoughts on shore excursions? We stop in Rosas, Spain; Sete & St Tropez, France; Monte Carlo; Portofino & Portoferraio, Italy & debark in Civiavecchia (Rome).

Thank you for your kind help!

Welcome to the Seabourn board. I know you'll have a great cruise.

the first thing I suggest is that you arrive in Barcelona at least one day before your cruise departs. These days you never know what can happen with flights and luggage so you don't want to miss the ship because of a delay. If you have never been to Barcelona and have the time you might even want to arrive a couple of days early. It's a great city with so much to see (especially the Gaudi bulidings, cathedral and Parc Guell.)

You are on a great itinerary and many of the ports can be done on your own. Personally, I prefer wandering around and exploring rather than a busfull of other people. But these ports, especially Portofino, are just beautiful and you can't go wring whatever you do.

Again, if you have time a couple of days in Rome at the end would be a perfect end to your trip. It's one of the great cities of the world with so much to see. And eat!

Happy anniversary!

the first thing I suggest is that you arrive in Barcelona at least one day before your cruise departs. These days you never know what can happen with flights and luggage so you don't want to miss the ship because of a delay. If you have never been to Barcelona and have the time you might even want to arrive a couple of days early. It's a great city with so much to see (especially the Gaudi bulidings, cathedral and Parc Guell.)

You are on a great itinerary and many of the ports can be done on your own. Personally, I prefer wandering around and exploring rather than a busfull of other people. But these ports, especially Portofino, are just beautiful and you can't go wring whatever you do.

Again, if you have time a couple of days in Rome at the end would be a perfect end to your trip. It's one of the great cities of the world with so much to see. And eat!

Happy anniversary!

This ^^^^^^ is excellent advice. Not much I can add to it.

Have you checked out the Roll Call Forums? See if others have posted for your cruise. Also, there is a great Ports of Call Forum here on CC with a wealth of information.

Hopefully you can arrive early in Barcelona and stay a day or three in Rome. I stay at the Hotel Colon in Barcelona. Haven't found the 'right' hotel for me in Rome, as yet. YOu can also do a Seabourn forum search and see what crops up when you put in your ports.

In addition, you might want to check the Referrals thread at the top of this Forum, if you have not been recommended by another prior cruiser.

Hello,

What a delightful & helpful board! I've learned so much already!

My husband & myself are booked on the Quest departing Barcelona on July 27 for 7 days. I've not been to the ports we are visiting & this is our first cruise ever! (We are celebrating our 20th anniversary.) Any suggestions/advice regarding the cruise? And thoughts on shore excursions? We stop in Rosas, Spain; Sete & St Tropez, France; Monte Carlo; Portofino & Portoferraio, Italy & debark in Civiavecchia (Rome).

Thank you for your kind help!

I always book a lunch or dinner when in Portofino depending on departure timings.

The Hotel Splendido is a must after you have walked around the lovely harbour.The Hotel has a shuttle van that picks you up outside the pharmacy behind the Mare Hotel.The views from the terrace overlooking the bay are stunning.

If you love a nice ramble you can pick up a path behind the town and hike to the San Fruttouso abbey. Its a wonderful hike through chestnut woods, small villages and little farms with views here and there down to the bay( including a birds eye view of Hotel Splendido). Or if you are a bit less ambitious there a pathway along the water that lead to Santa Margarita de Ligure about 3.5 mils away.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I hijack this thread for a moment?

We are thinking of booking a veranda suite on Quest, for the TA in November. Looking at the suite plans, it would appear that there is only one reclining chair on the veranda. Since we both have back problems, we find sitting upright on hard chairs very uncomfortable after a short while. Am I right or are there two?

Thanks.

Can I hijack this thread for a moment?

We are thinking of booking a veranda suite on Quest, for the TA in November. Looking at the suite plans, it would appear that there is only one reclining chair on the veranda. Since we both have back problems, we find sitting upright on hard chairs very uncomfortable after a short while. Am I right or are there two?

Thanks.

There are two...and a circle table in between.

We are thinking of booking a veranda suite on Quest, for the TA in November. Looking at the suite plans, it would appear that there is only one reclining chair on the veranda.

Venture to suggest that a November TA will not encourage much time sitting on verandah! Get to Seabourn Square early and bag one of the recliners there. Very comfortable, in the warm and dry, and close to some excellent coffee. Enjoy

Stamfordian

We were lucky on our Quest Maiden TA with the weather, so made good use of sitting out on our verandah - one of the days I didn't use it was when it was so humid, it was like being in an oven! Mind you we do live in the NE Scotland so are used to being out in cooler climes! Our friends from LA on the same cruise did not have the same opinion of sitting out! LOL!

Venture to suggest that a November TA will not encourage much time sitting on verandah! Get to Seabourn Square early and bag one of the recliners there. Very comfortable, in the warm and dry, and close to some excellent coffee. Enjoy

Hi Stamfordian!

We have done many TA's and most of the time the weather is warm enough to sit out on deck or on your balcony!:)

Marja

Stamfordian

We were lucky on our Quest Maiden TA with the weather, so made good use of sitting out on our verandah - one of the days I didn't use it was when it was so humid, it was like being in an oven! Mind you we do live in the NE Scotland so are used to being out in cooler climes! Our friends from LA on the same cruise did not have the same opinion of sitting out! LOL!

If one takes the TA on the Quest in November, which is the "sunny side"? It does seem to make a difference.

If one takes the TA on the Quest in November, which is the "sunny side"? It does seem to make a difference.

The south side, which is the port side, or the left side when looking forward, is the sunny side when sailing from east to west. Same for the other ships too.

• 1 month later...

Happy anniversary!

Thanks for this advice. We are arriving early Thursday (before our Friday departure) in Barcelona & staying at the Hotel Arts Barcelona hotel. And we are staying 2 nights in Rome at the end of the trip at the Intercon De La Ville.

In looking at the excursions, I really am interested in one at Monaco & Monte Carlo. It's to go see Eze & Villa Rothschild. Has anyone else done this excursion before? Also at the Portoferraio stop, there is a tour of the Elba Countryside & a Wine Tasting. Any suggestions regarding excursions is greatly appreciated.

I suppose I should also mention that I am currently in a wheelchair (but getting better - will be using a walker soon!). But I'm not able to hike & walk long distances. I'll probably use crutches (hopefully) by the time we start our cruise. My husband will be with me & he is able to help me get on & off buses, etc. My husband is telling me that we will stay on the ship during many ports - but I don't want to miss anything! It's hard to gage exactly how mobile I'll be - I'm still recovering from breaking both legs in April 2011. But I'm also trying to set realistic expectations for our cruise.

Thanks for any & all advice!

Eze is a hilly town and not easily negotiated on foot. May I suggest that instead of a bus tour through Seabourn you hire a private car and guide. Not only will it be easier to get in and out of the car than to climb on and off a bus but you can set the agenda. be driven right up to the venues you wish to see and have an easier time of it in general.

Eze is a hilly town and not easily negotiated on foot. May I suggest that instead of a bus tour through Seabourn you hire a private car and guide. Not only will it be easier to get in and out of the car than to climb on and off a bus but you can set the agenda. be driven right up to the venues you wish to see and have an easier time of it in general.

I second this very good suggestion. I, too have difficulty walking especially hilly areas and doing steps...the bus steps, narrow seats with no leg room are really hard on me. We either get a car and driver or just rent a car in ports we want to explore. It makes seeing the sites so much easier. In this part of the Med a car and driver would allow you easier acess than the tour bus will. Search the ports of call section, I have found good guides there.

Just a note to comment that I have found the Seabourn private car hire arrangements and cost way out of line and very inflexible. I am sure that on the Ports of Call Forum there will be some better alternative suggestions.

I agree. I never hire a private car from Seabourn. You can find very good alternatives for far less money in each port. A good place to start would be the ports section of CC where many people offer great suggestions for private drivers. If you don't find what you're looking for start a new thread. You'll soon have replies.

I agree. I never hire a private car from Seabourn. You can find very good alternatives for far less money in each port. A good place to start would be the ports section of CC where many people offer great suggestions for private drivers. If you don't find what you're looking for start a new thread. You'll soon have replies.

We have often used local taxis and have always been very happy with the results and the cost.

Thanks for the great suggestions. I think you are all correct - we would be better off with our own car. I went to the Ports of Call board & lots of drivers/agencies were recommended. I will look into the taxi suggestion as well. You're all very helpful! Thank you so much!

Has anyone else been on a Seabourn cruise while in a wheelchair? I'm wondering how it will be getting around the ship. Unless of course, there's a miracle & I am walking by the time the cruise starts. Ahhh! That would be such a blessing! I fractured the tibia in both legs last April - and have been in a wheelchair for over 13 months now. Which has been a challenge with a 3 year old son!

I'm really looking forward to our cruise. Not far away now!

We where on Soujorn on its TA this spring. Due to the movement of the ship, my wife used the chair most of the time.

This was not a problem when I was with her, but could sometimes be a bit problematic when she was alone.

The reason for this, was that none of the doors were automatic and it was for example difficult to open the door to the outside when your wheelchair was standing on the ramp and you needed to pull the door with one hand, manuver the chair backwards, then try to manuver it forward again with one hand uphill.

And it was not always people around to help.

But that was mostly a minor since the temperature was too low for us to soak some sun.

The good part of it was that she was not able to come and pick me up when I was sitting in skybar with a beer and a smoke :D

We was a bit surprised that there were no automatic door opener in the cabin. Specially with such a new ship. Even Azamara have that on their HC-cabins. Could be tricky for her to ooen the door from inside when the ship was rolling.

Cheers, Atle

Archived