Do people who dock at Dockyards go to Hamilton?

3rdGenCunarder

I've been noticing how many posts there are from people on the large ships that dock out at the West End asking about getting to beaches, BAMZ, and St Georges. Not a lot of questions about Hamilton.

So, for people who are docking out at Dockyards, do you expect to spend much time in Hamilton? Or is that low on your itinerary list?

I recall reading something in the Bermuda newspaper that businesses in Hamilton were unhappy that Veendam won't be back to Bermuda after this year because HAL passengers spend a lot of money. At first I thought maybe HAL pax were big spenders in general. But maybe it's just that they're already in Hamilton, so that's where they'll buy souvenirs, go for a drink, etc.

Not looking for advice or suggestions here. Just curious (nosy?)

For us it is low on the list. We may go to do some shopping and maybe get a meal. This will be our 5th trip, last time we stayed on island. It has been a few years but I believe some stores have closed or moved to the Dockyard because the decline of cruise ships docking in Hamilton so not sure what is still there.

I miss docking in Hamilton as its central location made getting places quicker.

We usually take a ferry ride to Hamilton and spend a couple of hours there...maybe eating lunch, just for something to do.

Having been to Bermuda many times over the past 25 years there's nothing in Bermuda we feel we have to rush to see or do...we are just relaxing and taking in the beauty of the country.

I have to disagree with the poster who says that there's so much more to do in Hamilton than Dockyard. I'd be curious what those things are. When the large department stores in Hamilton closed a few years back, the city lost much of its attractiveness to vacationers, and you can find a branch of almost every Hamilton store in Dockyard. In 2012 I'd just as soon be in Dockyard...in 2002 that wouldn't have been true.

Alot of people on the cruiseships in Dockyards go to Hamilton. Besides, shopping and eating, there are some beautiful parks, Par-le-ville, Victoria park, You also have Fort Hamilton, BUEI(Bermuda underwater exploration institute), City Hall and Art Centre, and just outside of Hamilton is Botanical gardens along side Masterworks (Museum of Bermuda art)

Lots to see in Hamilton

Enjoy

Last time we were in Bermuda at Kings Wharf in May 2010 and there was not much to do at dockyard, no shopping like in Hamilton:(

Yes there was a little market that looks like a flea market, but nothing more, maybe everything is changed now??? Can't wait to see it in summer 2013!

No ships will go to Hamilton in 2013 to replace the HAL ships that used to dock there???? :confused:

Last time we were in Bermuda at Kings Wharf in May 2010 and there was not much to do at dockyard, no shopping like in Hamilton:(

Yes there was a little market that looks like a flea market, but nothing more, maybe everything is changed now??? Can't wait to see it in summer 2013!

No ships will go to Hamilton in 2013 to replace the HAL ships that used to dock there???? :confused:

You must have missed the Clocktower Mall, which has branches of most of Bermuda's best known stores...it's been in Dockyard since long before 2010.

No cruise lines will be replacing HAL's Veendam. There are almost no ships regularly based in North America that are small enough to dock in Hamilton.

"no shopping"???? You could shop at the Clocktower Mall, opened in 1990

"there was not much to do at dockyard"???? What about the Bermuda Maritime Museum, Dolphin Quest, Clocktower Mall, Crafts Market, Art Center, Segways Tour, samples at the Rum Cake Company, Glass Works demo, Helmet Dive departs from the Dockyard, and Snorkel Park.

Correct about no ships in Hamilton in 2013.

SBtS

Passports are stamped @ H.M. Customs house on Frount St. Hamilton up the street from the dock . Also in St George @ the Customs House ( by The Old Replica ship ).

Thanks for that info! I'll be sure to do that next week when I'm in Bermuda with DW! Also helps that the Customs House in Hamilton is right next to the Veendam! :D

Passports are stamped @ H.M. Customs house on Frount St. Hamilton up the street from the dock . Also in St George @ the Customs House ( by The Old Replica ship ).

Thanks for the info.

I never knew you could do this.

Having been to Bermuda 15 times, you'd think I would have known that, but this is news to me too! Adding a stop to my mental itinerary for the next trip...

As for going to Hamilton from Dockyard, we always try to do it and find it very easy, with the ferry right there. It's true, the shopping is not the draw it once was, but it's still nice to stroll around and grab a pint at the Hog Penny! The walk from the ferry stop down to the Crow Lane roundabout isn't bad if you head over early and want to see Johnny Barnes. I've done that a couple of times.

Also, if you rent mopeds, I recommend taking them on the ferry to Hamilton if you're looking to get out to the other end of the island, or anywhere between Hamilton and St. George. The ride from one end of the island to the other is totally do-able, but it's nice to break it up with the ferry ride and a little time in Hamilton.

I've been noticing how many posts there are from people on the large ships that dock out at the West End asking about getting to beaches, BAMZ, and St Georges. Not a lot of questions about Hamilton.

So, for people who are docking out at Dockyards, do you expect to spend much time in Hamilton? Or is that low on your itinerary list?

I recall reading something in the Bermuda newspaper that businesses in Hamilton were unhappy that Veendam won't be back to Bermuda after this year because HAL passengers spend a lot of money. At first I thought maybe HAL pax were big spenders in general. But maybe it's just that they're already in Hamilton, so that's where they'll buy souvenirs, go for a drink, etc.

Not looking for advice or suggestions here. Just curious (nosy?)

i absolutely always go to hamilton. i love it there! some people could take it or leave it, some love it, some dont care for it at all, but i feel like its something you should atleast go to once!

Archived