Man overboard on Spirit to Hawaii!

Winyf

I can give you a snapshot of excursions we did on this cruise. My wife and I have lived in Hawaii for 9 years over the years (she was born there) and both of us are pretty familiar with the islands. I won't comment about that character who decided it might be a good idea to jump off the ship and leave his family behind. I can say the crew on the ship were professionals and the boat crew did a great job in dangerous conditions. That guy owes his life to them.

We rented a car at Hilo and did the volcano tour on our own. On Maui we rented another car and did the island on our own (we travel there quite a bit). We did a zip line tour through Skyline Eco Tours at Kaanapali and had a blast...8 lines and the scenery was out of this world. Very professional company with great guides. At Honolulu we also rented a car, hiked Diamond Head (not to be missed) and visited with a friend who lives there. In Kona (the Big Island) we did a Kayak trip through Carnival. This was a fairly short tender port so we didn't want to waste any time getting off the ship. Didn't really like this excursion...too much work!!:eek: We paddled around for 3 miles or so and did some snorkling. And finally we did an ATV tour through Kipu Tours and both of us enjoyed that one. Took a 15 minute taxi to the office at a ranch that ended up costing around $25.00 each way. It was worth it though and would do it again.

A word about car rentals...after weeks of searching for deals I finally found Discount Hawaii Car Rental (just google it) and found some fantastic deals. I paid half of what I found via conventional methods and was thrilled with their service. I won't use anyone else now when we travel to Hawaii.

Besides Kona, were any of the other ports tender? Were the car rentals near the port or did you have to take shuttle/cab to get to the rental offices? Approximately how much were the car rentals? TIA for any info you can share.

We were told later that if they had not found him in the water, we would have had to put several rescue boats in the water and stay there until the Coast Guard could arrive, which could have been several days since we were at the halfway mark.

We learned that this man was extremely lucky to have been rescued. In 98% of the time when someone jumps, they are not found alive, if found at all.

Truly doubtful. The Coast Guard does not expect crews to endanger themselves to rescue someone who wants to kill themselves. Having 2-3 small boats stay out to look for this person in heavy seas without the Spirit immediately available would be foolish and dangerous. I'm not sure who told you this...the baker's girlfriend's friend who is a ship's photographer?

Yow....I don't think that could be right....that would be way too dangerous

for Carnival crew to stay out there 3 days alone

I thought the poster meant that the whole ship would have to stay out there for 3 days until coast guard could reach the ship (Spirit) and then the Coast Guard would take over????

Besides Kona, were any of the other ports tender? Were the car rentals near the port or did you have to take shuttle/cab to get to the rental offices? Approximately how much were the car rentals? TIA for any info you can share.

Hi Mary...Prices were $36.14 in Honolulu, $39.11 in Maui and $39.11 in Hilo. These prices include everything (taxes, airport fees, etc that really jack up the cost of car rentals) and were for Economy class cars. All were obtained from Alamo through that website I mentioned earlier.

Alamo had a shuttle available from the port to the airport in Maui and Hilo (and back again) but not Honolulu though it was promised. We ended up sharing a cab with another couple and split the $30.00 fare. Actually quite a few people were sharing rides at the port.

Kona is the only tender port on the cruise so highly recommend a ship's excursion. Carnival excursions have priority in getting off the ship.

Thank you for making that comment to her, Carole. I was going to comment, but it would not have been as nicely worded as yours was, so I decided not to say anything;) We've had our share of illness in our family...people are quick to be judgemental know-it-alls when they have no clue. I'm sorry for your loss:(

Thanks Linda, I just had to say something, usually when people make statements like that it means that they have no experience to draw on. But believe me the family would do anything in the world to take it back, even though it wasn't their actions.

Carole

however....Halos clearly said the guy was "off" and acting weird and others have posted he was acting weird

Surely the family should have noticed this too??

They MAY have been able to get him some medical help on board...cut off the booze...or while drastic have him confined by security to prevent a tragedy

I have read that people on various "psychotropic" and/or anti depressant medications can have VERY bad reactions to alcohol

Esty even when you're wrong, you're never wrong are you?

Why must someone always be to blame??? Isn't there enough pain and fingerpointing in this world?

It happened, he survived. If it was a serious suicide attempt he will probably do it again and one day complete the act, look at statistics.

There are some antidepressants that do cause suicidal thoughts, which psychiatrists are supposed to screen for.

Have you ever seen anyone act weird on a cruise??? I've seen lots of people, mostly you don't anticipate someone you love taking their own lives.

Maybe instead of judging someone we can all have a human compassion for them and their family, say a prayer and move on???

Carole

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Why must someone always be to blame??? Isn't there enough pain and fingerpointing in this world?

It happened, he survived. If it was a serious suicide attempt he will probably do it again and one day complete the act, look at statistics.

There are some antidepressants that do cause suicidal thoughts, which psychiatrists are supposed to screen for.

Have you ever seen anyone act weird on a cruise??? I've seen lots of people, mostly you don't anticipate someone you love taking their own lives.

Maybe instead of judging someone we can all have a human compassion for them and their family, say a prayer and move on???

Carole

Well said, however, I don't think that is in her capability!

That's absolutely true but has no bearing on this incident as far as anyone knows so it doesn't need to be mentioned....because that will just cause more unnecessary rumor. There's plenty enough of that already.

I have no idea which crew members went out in the lifeboat...I heard that it was a bit frantic and not all 'neat and clean'....but then again, that is also rumor. Bottom line is the mission was accomplished, thank God.

This is exactly why I never came back on here. I simply do not know for a FACT what really happened. Too many rumors, stories, etc were all over the ship right after the incident. I heard all sorts of things within hours of it happening. Heck, when we got back to Atlanta last night after our flight my mother was saying that "Someone on the plane told her....".

I am a little shocked (but not really surprised) at where this thread has gone to. As Halos said, all that is known is the man is alive and the mission was a success. It really was amazing all things considered.

As for the cruise, it was wonderful. I really loved it and it ranks up there as one of my favorites. Halos, you and Bill are great! (as was everyone) I am so glad we got to meet you!

This is exactly why I never came back on here. I simply do not know for a FACT what really happened. Too many rumors, stories, etc were all over the ship right after the incident. I heard all sorts of things within hours of it happening. Heck, when we got back to Atlanta last night after our flight my mother was saying that "Someone on the plane told her....".

I am a little shocked (but not really surprised) at where this thread has gone to. As Halos said, all that is known is the man is alive and the mission was a success. It really was amazing all things considered.

As for the cruise, it was wonderful. I really loved it and it ranks up there as one of my favorites. Halos, you and Bill are great! (as was everyone) I am so glad we got to meet you!

That's what I love about you...you're always the voice of reason!:) Glad you had a great cruise!

Same here David, it was great meeting you and Wade and please give your Mom a great big hug...she's so beautiful (inside and out!!) :)

We were told later that if they had not found him in the water, we would have had to put several rescue boats in the water and stay there until the Coast Guard could arrive, which could have been several days since we were at the halfway mark.

We learned that this man was extremely lucky to have been rescued. In 98% of the time when someone jumps, they are not found alive, if found at all.

Truly doubtful. The Coast Guard does not expect crews to endanger themselves to rescue someone who wants to kill themselves. Having 2-3 small boats stay out to look for this person in heavy seas without the Spirit immediately available would be foolish and dangerous. I'm not sure who told you this...the baker's girlfriend's friend who is a ship's photographer?

I may have been a bit unclear in my post. I did say we would have had to put several boats in the water, and stay there until the Coast Guard arrived. I guess I should have said the Spirit would stay there until the Coast Guard arrived. Of course the ship would never leave any of their crew behind and in a dangerous situation! However, I don't think my post deserved your somewhat rude comment about where I got my information. I actually got the information from a Ship's Officer who was answering Guest's questions afterwards.

We, too, just returned from the Carnival Spirit 15-day cruise to Hawaii and witnessed the dramatic rescue of the man that jumped. As one fellow cruiser has already stated, the rumors began flying by the time he hit the water.

We had heard that this man had paced back and forth for over an hour, then taking his shoes off and jumping from the Lido deck. He supposedly even waved to those on the ship after landing in the water. It took over 2 miles for the ship to turn around to begin looking for him. Thank goodness that some fellow passengers tossed the life rings overboard, not only for this man but, to mark his location in the ocean. Everyone onboard that had binoculars, including myself, was helping in the search. I'm not exactly sure how long the search lasted, but they eventually found the man and brought him back onboard.

It was a very dramatic scene and a miraculous rescue by the ship's crew! One of the most amazing scenes I've ever witnessed!

We heard that the man was bipolar and had not taken his medication. I saw the captain later on that evening and asked if the man was injured in any way. He said "our friend is OK and is getting the attention he now needs". But later on we heard the guy broke his neck and back. Rumors are just that...rumors. At least the man has a 2nd chance in life and will make the best of it.

As for the cruise....FANTASTIC! I have no complaints whatsoever!!! Review will come later on (too much unpacking to do now).

I'd just like to say THANKS to all of the "Moana Malihinis", especially Helen & Tom, Amy and Austin, Robin & Robert, Rita and the rest for helping make this cruise the BEST we've ever had!

:cool:Bill

We were also on this cruise and yes, the rumors were rampant in fifty directions; I did witness the crew readying themselves to go out in the tender and as they searched off of deck 3; my observation was that they acted very appropriately and with deliberate speed in their assigned tasks. He was indeed one lucky fellow and the captain also told us he was getting the care he needed.

A member of our group was the fellow who had to be returned to Honolulu due to his medical emergency; comments overheard by his family from other passengers were absolutely rude and mean. I felt so sorry for the family (as there were a number of his extended family onboard this cruise also). The patient's grown daughter heard many such unkind comments and was so very upset about it all. Some people just don't think before they speak :(

On the upside, the family couldn't speak highly enough about the care he was receiving in the hospital in Honolulu as well as the treatment they received by Carnival personnel, which included regular complimentary phone calls from the family members on the ship to the patient and his wife in the hospital. He was at the Holiday Inn in San Diego with his wife when the ship returned on Saturday and is at home now and doing much better. Thanks on behalf of the family to all who expressed concern for these sweet people.

Carole

Well said, however, I don't think that is in her capability!

She will always come back and get back in your face and go about telling everyone she is just stating facts. (which are often her on conclusions)

We were also on this cruise and yes, the rumors were rampant in fifty directions; I did witness the crew readying themselves to go out in the tender and as they searched off of deck 3; my observation was that they acted very appropriately and with deliberate speed in their assigned tasks. He was indeed one lucky fellow and the captain also told us he was getting the care he needed.

A member of our group was the fellow who had to be returned to Honolulu due to his medical emergency; comments overheard by his family from other passengers were absolutely rude and mean. I felt so sorry for the family (as there were a number of his extended family onboard this cruise also). The patient's grown daughter heard many such unkind comments and was so very upset about it all. Some people just don't think before they speak :(

On the upside, the family couldn't speak highly enough about the care he was receiving in the hospital in Honolulu as well as the treatment they received by Carnival personnel, which included regular complimentary phone calls from the family members on the ship to the patient and his wife in the hospital. He was at the Holiday Inn in San Diego with his wife when the ship returned on Saturday and is at home now and doing much better. Thanks on behalf of the family to all who expressed concern for these sweet people.

That's great to hear that the gentleman is safe at home now. I can't beleive that people would actually complain about having to return to Honolulu to get medical help for this man! We heard from Misty that a woman approached her during the rescue of the man that jumped overboard complaining about whether or not the rescue would delay her arrival in Hilo? Are you kididing me?? Some people just don't get it!

:cool:Bill

Someone suffering from depression can't help reacting to the moment. The only thought is ending their pain at that moment and they can't see beyond that moment. It's a scary illness and because of the negative stigma too many people don't reach out for help.

Point taken. I admit I don't know enough about depression to have been commenting on that, but when I read that a mother took her kids on a cruise, then jumped overboard b/c she had a fight with her husband, my jaw dropped! Made me suspect the husband, because I couldn't wrap my head around a mother leaving her children because her husband fought with her!

Here is another video link on youtube.. There is a pretty clear shot of the man that was rescued. A very grim scene as the boat passes by.

Thanks for the link!

Just goes to show you that there are cameras everywhere - I heard on the national news the other night that in London (a segment on the Olympics) that they have 500,000 cameras in the city that the authorities can monitor! :eek:

Tom

Thanks for the link!

Just goes to show you that there are cameras everywhere - I heard on the national news the other night that in London (a segment on the Olympics) that they have 500,000 cameras in the city that the authorities can monitor! :eek:

Tom

I had my camera in my hand when I 'thought' the commotion was over a whale sighting, but quickly put it back down when I realized what happened....

I am hoping that no one has any pics of the guy close up. This has to be hard enough on his family.

I tell you people were just in shock over this while it was going on but these days it's just an automatic response for people to start recording things....it's bizarre that we've evolved into papparazzi. :rolleyes:

...it's bizarre that we've evolved into papparazzi. :rolleyes:

Well, you never know when some (fringe) news organization might offer you a big fat check for your scoop, or you could end up on a talk show!

:D

Tom

I had my camera in my hand when I 'thought' the commotion was over a whale sighting, but quickly put it back down when I realized what happened....

I am hoping that no one has any pics of the guy close up. This has to be hard enough on his family.

I tell you people were just in shock over this while it was going on but these days it's just an automatic response for people to start recording things....it's bizarre that we've evolved into papparazzi. :rolleyes:

I was playing scrabble in the games room on my ipad when we heard the Bravo Bravo call on the PA. (Hence the video of the boat going up & down)

Archived