Herculaneum

Sea42

I'm cruising right now (just left Tunisia, where we had a lovely day).

I will respond to any requests when I return.

Just as an FYI, I visited Herculaneum again; many of the same houses are still closed but I was able to get into the Palaestra which was not open in the spring, so that's something...! :)

• 2 months later...

Not sure if your notes are still available.

But I would love a copy if it is possible.

Because of mobility problems I think a taxi to Herculaneum would be ideal for us.

All the information on this thread has been a great help and is very much appreciated.

If the notes are available I will post my email address.

Many thanks.

Hi - please send your Herculaneum notes. We're going on the Prairie Home Companion cruise on the Ryndam in August and have been to Pompeii and would like to see Herculaneum. Thank you for sharing!

Hope I'm doing my email right to keep it intact.

noconnor @ cinci . rr . com

I just wanted to say how helpful the notes from Cruisemom were for our visit to Herculaneum this past fall! We did rent the audio guide also but referred to her notes quite often.

For us, it worked out wonderfully going to Herculaneum instead Pompeii. Others may be more interested in the larger scale of Pompeii but the trade off of having no crowds was worth it to us. We're the only people in our pictures! It was a sobering experience in some ways, wandering around this deserted city with no other people in sight, contemplating what happened here. And to then look up and see Vesuvius looming large above the city, it was just a very humbling experience.

We took a cab as soon as we were cleared to disembark. There was a man in charge who asked us where we wanted to go, how much time we wanted to spend and then told us the price. For 75 euros we had the taxi take us Herculaneum, arranged for him to pick us up in 2 1/2 hours and then take us to the Archaeological Museum back in Naples. After our visit there (including Gabinetto Segreto :p) we walked back to the port, stopping for pizza along the way.

What a wonderful day!

Edited by Sea42

Hi Sea42,

Thanks for the information on the taxi and Herculaneum

For 75 euros you can gat the taxi from the port to Herculaneum and they will wait for two and a half hours and then the return? Brilliant. Guess the taxis can take 4 adults for that price? This was just the confirmation I needed. Do you think 21/2 hours is long enough? But with our mobility problems it will be plenty long enough for us!!

Do hope cruisemom42 looks at this thread again as she has a lot more requests for her notes now! Just in case cruisemom42, please could you send your notes to me at

hutchins @ tesco . net

Many thanks.

Hi Sea42,

Thanks for the information on the taxi and Herculaneum

For 75 euros you can gat the taxi from the port to Herculaneum and they will wait for two and a half hours and then the return? Brilliant. Guess the taxis can take 4 adults for that price? This was just the confirmation I needed. Do you think 21/2 hours is long enough? But with our mobility problems it will be plenty long enough for us!!

Do hope cruisemom42 looks at this thread again as she has a lot more requests for her notes now! Just in case cruisemom42, please could you send your notes to me at

hutchins @ tesco . net

Many thanks.

My husband tells me it was 85 euros but I believe that was including a tip. But yes, the taxi waited there for us. We could have stayed longer (we didn't get through the entire audio guide) but we wanted to have enough time at the museum and for the walk back to the port.

Just finished sending my notes to all the recent requesters. If you didn't get them, please post and I'll try again.

Hi Cynthia,

We are going to Herculaneum again next fall & I will have 5 newbies in tow ... I would love to have a copy of your notes (I am absolutely certain that they are MUCH better than mine :)).

Do you, perchance, have any notes on Pompeii? I follow your posts & know that you were there rather recently.

If you wouldn't mind sending yet another copy, my email is:

quim11 at yahoo dot com

Thanks so much!

jill

Hi Cynthia,

We are going to Herculaneum again next fall & I will have 5 newbies in tow ... I would love to have a copy of your notes (I am absolutely certain that they are MUCH better than mine :)).

Do you, perchance, have any notes on Pompeii? I follow your posts & know that you were there rather recently.

If you wouldn't mind sending yet another copy, my email is:

quim11 at yahoo dot com

Thanks so much!

jill

Hi Jill, I have notes for Pompeii but before I send them, be aware that they are in excruciating detail -- probably something like 50-60 pages and include a lot of floor plans of various houses, etc. They're geared for my trip last year where we were able to spend two full days in Pompeii.

If you want, I can send them but it's probably overkill. How much time are you allotting for Pompeii? There are small pamphlets and maps that you can pick up at the Visitor desk (just to the left of the ticket sales at the main entrance) that give suggestions for those with less time (e.g., a suggested 2-hour tour, a half-day tour).

As an unrepentant overplanner I would love to get a copy of your notes for both Pompeii and Herculaneum. We've got 4 days before the cruise and Pompeii is the one thing my husband actually requested so I think a 2 day trip to Naples and time in both of them will win me bonus "attagirl" points :)

email is monica@wishnousky.com.

Thanks!

Hi Jill, I have notes for Pompeii but before I send them, be aware that they are in excruciating detail -- probably something like 50-60 pages and include a lot of floor plans of various houses, etc. They're geared for my trip last year where we were able to spend two full days in Pompeii.

If you want, I can send them but it's probably overkill. How much time are you allotting for Pompeii? There are small pamphlets and maps that you can pick up at the Visitor desk (just to the left of the ticket sales at the main entrance) that give suggestions for those with less time (e.g., a suggested 2-hour tour, a half-day tour).

Hi Cynthia,

I have been to Pompeii 5 times but I recall reading one of your previous posts in which you mentioned sites you visited of which I was unaware. I am not taking the newbies to Pompeii ... the notes would be for me on my next land trip. :D

I love overkill when it comes to Roman or Greek history .... I would love to have your Pompeii notes. I am taking my brother, SIL, 2 nieces & a friend to Herculaneum in October.

Thanks so much!

jill

As an unrepentant overplanner I would love to get a copy of your notes for both Pompeii and Herculaneum. We've got 4 days before the cruise and Pompeii is the one thing my husband actually requested so I think a 2 day trip to Naples and time in both of them will win me bonus "attagirl" points :)

email is monica@wishnousky.com.

Thanks!

Hi Cynthia,

I have been to Pompeii 5 times but I recall reading one of your previous posts in which you mentioned sites you visited of which I was unaware. I am not taking the newbies to Pompeii ... the notes would be for me on my next land trip. :D

I love overkill when it comes to Roman or Greek history .... I would love to have your Pompeii notes. I am taking my brother, SIL, 2 nieces & a friend to Herculaneum in October.

Thanks so much!

jill

Okay, will send out both sets later today when I get home.

The stop is called Ercolano Scavi.

It is closer to Naples than Pompeii; I did it coming from the other direction (Sorrento) but I'd say it's about 20 minutes.

Can't answer re: the taxi, but the train is pretty easy. Once you get off the train, you'll walk downhill down a major road with the train station at your back. This road basically dead-ends at the entrance to Herculaneum in about 4-5 blocks -- you can't miss it.

There's no museum onsite.

Yes, you should have enough time to do both Herculaneum and the Archaeology Museum.

I have a lot of info on Herculaneum, included notes for a self-guided tour (having just done it a few weeks ago). If you want to give me an email, I'd be happy to send it to you.

cruisemom could you email me your info? We have done Pompeii, Amalfi, Capri etc and were thinking it might be nice to visit Herculaneum this summer while in Naples my email is ydreamvacation@gmail.com thanks

Thank you, cruisemom. Notes are awesome. You are the best! :)

jill

Dogsforfun Could you forward the notes to me poor cruisemom must be overwhelmed with requests. Also given your screen name any idea how to teach my corgi pup to fetch? I throw the ball and she chases it and then runs off. Doesn't get the bring it back part lol

cruisemom could you email me your info? We have done Pompeii, Amalfi, Capri etc and were thinking it might be nice to visit Herculaneum this summer while in Naples my email is ydreamvacation@gmail.com thanks

Dogsforfun Could you forward the notes to me poor cruisemom must be overwhelmed with requests.

I've just sent these to you. Sorry, I didn't see your request earlier.

Please, I'd appreciate it if any requests for my notes were addressed to me. I've asked others not to circulate them widely.

Thanks!

I've just sent these to you. Sorry, I didn't see your request earlier.

Please, I'd appreciate it if any requests for my notes were addressed to me. I've asked others not to circulate them widely.

Thanks!

Thanks so much what an amazing collaboration you made I will not share them with anyone but my husband. You should consider writing a guide book. Great stuff thank you again!

The stop is called Ercolano Scavi.

It is closer to Naples than Pompeii; I did it coming from the other direction (Sorrento) but I'd say it's about 20 minutes.

Can't answer re: the taxi, but the train is pretty easy. Once you get off the train, you'll walk downhill down a major road with the train station at your back. This road basically dead-ends at the entrance to Herculaneum in about 4-5 blocks -- you can't miss it.

There's no museum onsite.

Yes, you should have enough time to do both Herculaneum and the Archaeology Museum.

I have a lot of info on Herculaneum, included notes for a self-guided tour (having just done it a few weeks ago). If you want to give me an email, I'd be happy to send it to you.

Hi cruisemom2

Could you email me a copy of your self guided Herculaneum tour. Been to Pompei so would like to visit Herculaneun this time. My email address spy956@yahoo.com.au

Thank

Swee